logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Regan  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2010 14:55:13(UTC)
Regan

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The single "Miranda, I Told You Once" has been released. It was backed by two b-sides. One is a Pink Floyd live acoustic cover of "Brain Damage" and the second is an old Casting Thin Shadows song that was floating around during the "Nightcrawler" era called "Days Turn Into Months, Months Turns Into Years, Years Turn Into Centuries". It is a rare song by Casting Thin Shadows and Regan has done a different take on the song.

01. Miranda, I Told You Once
02. Brain Damage(Pink Floyd Acoustic Live Cover)
03. Days Turn Into Months, Months Turns Into Years, Years Turn Into Centuries

He was backed by Enoch on both tracks.

You can buy the single here!
thecerebral_collection:
quarantine | thewaitingroom | bunker18
Offline Johnny Cobain  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2010 16:08:09(UTC)
Johnny Cobain

This is so great! I love the pink floyd cover. about time a band doesn't turn a pink floyd song to shit. congrads
Offline Gorloche  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2010 18:13:11(UTC)
Gorloche

It helps a lot that the other guys in Enoch and me know DSotM (we released a live album for free on the net of us covering it during a particularly fun show) and that Regan was able to hit the same emotions as Roger Waters in that tune. He doesn't have the same range, but he was able to dip back a bit into his more primal days when CTS was fairly experimental gothy stuff before they streamlined and just nailed it. The cool thing was I think the take used for the EP is the second time we played it with him and the first we recorded it. Mark and I were playing it and he just walked in and started singing it, so we got the other guys to come in and play on it and recorded it right then, all in one live take. Pure magic!

Meanwhile, the third track on the single took a long while to record. This was one of the tracks we did as basically warm-up for the album, help us capture the mood Regan was looking for in our playing. I think we recorded like four or five different versions across the recording session with minor changes; the song became a strong touchstone for when he wanted something else out of us. I don't remember off the top of my head what order we recorded them in, but there was a dirge-like one, a somewhat Tool-ish take, there was a kind of heavy version, and I don't remember the other ones off of the top of my head. Most of the recordings turned out shit, anyway, since they weren't really designed for commercial release. Glad to see he was able to clean up one of them! It sounds much better than I remember hearing it in the studio, like he got a completely different backing band! Haha.

Recording "Miranda" was really fun for me. I got to record I think two or three completely separate drum tracks, all on kit. The main one is, you know, the normal volume one, but the other (others? Can't remember how many layers there were) are much quieter and just sort of bubble around in the background behind the synths to give some color. He let me go fucking nuts for that one since he was going to edit the drum pattern around anyway and just cut out anything that didn't fit, so I had this looping sample of a huge chunk of the song and record... I think twenty or thirty minutes of drumming to it? Fun process. Most of the stuff got the axe, for obvious reasons (as it is a regular fucking song), but just another little anecdote of why I love recording with the guy.

- Langdon

Edited by user 26 April 2010 15:57:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Moquel  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2010 02:35:27(UTC)
Moquel

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 964 post(s)
" I'm really trying to like this guy.. It times me a while to like people, but you are, someone I can like. You know, one year when I did get to like a guy, they fucked me over with a Asian woman with smelly feet, so it takes me a while to like people now"
- Shaun Daniels (Press Talks;; Daniels Entertaiment)

" Let her eat her rice and get over it, Shaun. That was four years ago honey"
-Derek Era (Secrety at Daniels Entertainments;;)

" Your point?! She was Asiai for crying out loud. I will never get over that, Greg was my bitch.
- Shaun Daniels (Press Talks;; Daniels Entertainment)
UserPostedImage