logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:29:45(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Ok so I've been thinking about the next step after college and this decision is basically been made up. I am going to go for intermediate education and mayor in mathematics. I've decided to stop doing the whole music thing because it just didn't work out and I don't want to waste my time. Education is something I've always wanted to do, I just never really thought it could happen. But my English has been improving and I've decided to give it a shot. Once again this is something I really love other than music and it's not a second choice at all. However, I know nothing about being a teacher since I never looked into it. And yes i know thats why I'm going to an university for, but I don't want to get lost. Anyway, so yeah there you go guys, I'm going for education!

Anyone in school at moment and if you are. what are you going for?
Offline troymazing  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:34:56(UTC)
troymazing

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm going to major in Political Science, but if teachers made more money, I'd love to be a Spanish teacher.
GirlSpice wrote:
Oh well.. she sits outside then. LOL!

Offline old.gregg  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:35:49(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
For a maths teacher, the thing you're looking for is someone who's actually good at maths.. Sounds stupid, but some maths teachers really shouldn't be teaching the subject, and allow the students to totally run rings around them. I started A-level maths about half a year early, and you quickly notice which teachers can and can't actually teach the subject. Point I'm making is, only go for maths if it's something you're actually good at and enjoy, cause it'll be a problem otherwise.

But, teaching seems like a pretty good career, but I would never choose it. The bottom line is that kids are little shits, basically! If you wanna be a teacher, you've gotta be pretty strong willed.

What level do you want to teach?
-
Offline The Nimrods  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:36:17(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I'm working on my music reading skills so I can go to The Berkelee College of music. I'm going to major in composition and production (I can do a double major for 5 years).
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Raphaela  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:38:05(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:
kids are little shits

Totally agree! I hope I don't ever become a teacher, but if I do, I want to get older students, that actually care about what you're saying.
And I still want to major in Biolorgy :)
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline troy211619  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:43:57(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Since I have 2 more years in high school, I have plenty of time to think about what to do in life, nut I'm planning to either be an Engineer or a Lawyer.. I hate engineering for math but I love it for its salary, I hate law for political interference but I love it since I really wanted to be a lawyer since I was 10..
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
#7 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:45:05(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

old.gregg wrote:
For a maths teacher, the thing you're looking for is someone who's actually good at maths.. Sounds stupid, but some maths teachers really shouldn't be teaching the subject, and allow the students to totally run rings around them. I started A-level maths about half a year early, and you quickly notice which teachers can and can't actually teach the subject. Point I'm making is, only go for maths if it's something you're actually good at and enjoy, cause it'll be a problem otherwise.

But, teaching seems like a pretty good career, but I would never choose it. The bottom line is that kids are little shits, basically! If you wanna be a teacher, you've gotta be pretty strong willed.

What level do you want to teach?

@Troy = That's cool Troy I think you'd be a good Spanish teacher since I know you're good especially since you're not even native. Just hold back that tongue of yours ;)

@Elliot= I'm very good at math. In fact everything I score is always higher in the math department. Other than Dance math has also always been my favorite subject as well. I never ever had anything lower than a B (80+ out of 100) in a math subject.

My 7th grade math teacher is the one I look up to and she really inspired me. She was the best teacher Her name was Mrs. Boessel (I will never forget her name and i'm still in contact with her til this very day). So I want to become a 7th grade math teacher. But i have to look into it. I don't mind kids.

@Ryland that is really cool man.
Offline Raphaela  
#8 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:45:37(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
troy211619 wrote:
Since I have 2 more years in high school, I have plenty of time to think about what to do in life, nut I'm planning to either be an Engineer or a Lawyer.. I hate engineering for math but I love it for its salary, I hate law for political interference but I love it since I really wanted to be a lawyer since I was 10..

If you hate math, you won't even stand one year of college :P
Choose based on what you like, not much on the salary. I know lots of people that chose salary and are totally miserable because they gave up of their dreams, despite of how much money they make.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline troy211619  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:49:42(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Raphaela wrote:
troy211619 wrote:

If you hate math, you won't even stand one year of college :P
Choose based on what you like, not much on the salary. I know lots of people that chose salary and are totally miserable because they gave up of their dreams, despite of how much money they make.

Well I always wanted to be either a lawyer or an engineer, but I also thought of having a band as a side job during college or maybe beyond that...
I mean I'd be making an album, release some singles, tour here and there, then get back to my normal job as a lawyer/engineer..
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
#10 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:57:12(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

My accent is almost completely gone. It only comes back when i'm really really nervous or mad, so that's good at the least. So speaking won't be a problem with me. I also found myself helping out the teachers at school, so that's all the knowledge I have on teachers.

ONE THING though. I will not whatsoever stop dancing and working out. I got to stay in shape. Mr. (Blank) got to look good.
Offline troymazing  
#11 Posted : 25 April 2010 13:11:29(UTC)
troymazing

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you, Steph. My Spanish teacher told me on Friday that I'm starting to slack. I have an 85, it used to be a 93. I don't really care anymore as I graduate in 57 days.
GirlSpice wrote:
Oh well.. she sits outside then. LOL!

Offline PANIC!  
#12 Posted : 25 April 2010 13:34:08(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
I still have two years or so to decide what I want to study, but for right now I either want to purse a career in Counseling psychologist, Forensic psychologist, or Computer engineering.
UserPostedImage
Offline Captain Insano  
#13 Posted : 25 April 2010 16:41:28(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
troy211619 wrote:

Well if you hate maths and aren't good at it, your not going to get very far in engineering.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Laurelles1  
#14 Posted : 25 April 2010 20:13:02(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Hopefully, i'll end up as a Chartered Secretary.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#15 Posted : 25 April 2010 20:16:56(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hopefully, I'll end up being a music journalist for some magazine, interviewing and meeting the best bands in the world and reviewing their show's, getting free press vip tickets to shit like Reading, then becoming a Radio presenter, slowly moving onto television and running my own sketch show with my own twisted, fucked up imagination. Then running a possible chat show, Jonathan Ross style. Then after that I want to go work in an orphanage in Africa, and live out the rest of my day's helping little kid's who haven't got a chance in life and giving them a little bit of hope.

Fuck yeaaahh.

Oh, and get drunk and stoned a lot.
Offline forkboy  
#16 Posted : 25 April 2010 22:07:12(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
The only kind of teacher to be is a primary school teacher.

In Classics (Latin/Ancient Greek).

Now that'd be cool, albeit a slightly niche market for your skills.
Offline bikz  
#17 Posted : 26 April 2010 00:26:37(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
A bit about teaching.

I used to hate maths - until we got the most amazing teacher I've ever had in high school. She knew what she was talking about and she'd help you if you didn't, but she was also really laid back and didn't mind if we slacked occasionally. She was the kind of teacher who makes you want to learn. I got a B in my GCSE, which was the best I could do (I took the intermediate maths GCSE, which meant that I couldn't get A or A* grades) - teachers who are more fun are better for you.

Music runs in my dad's side of the family - teaching runs in my mum's! My mum used to be a geography teacher, now she's a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator). She works hard, and is very good with kids with special needs. My little sister also works as a classroom assistant and substitute teacher at my mum's school, and they like her a lot. She's not good at teaching any particular subject, but the classes like having her there. Or so she says - but I trust her, Jenn's more like my mum than my dad.

I used to work as a classroom assistant too. I do wonder how little Sophie's getting on. She had real problems at home, her father left and her mother didn't know how to look after her. She was very unhappy and rowdy in the classroom. She was the child assigned to me, and I think she saw me as like a big sister, someone who did care specifically about her. Attention was what she needed. The world's waiting for you, and you're waiting for the world, but for now, you're just my little girl.

For work experience, the best place to start is probably getting a part-time job as a classroom assistant, so you get an idea of what it's like.

Edited by user 26 April 2010 00:32:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline Synxhard  
#18 Posted : 26 April 2010 05:05:59(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Well, I'm moving to Boston in June, gonna be going to Berklee School Of Music. Planning on majoring in guitar performance and minoring in production. My hope is to either go into solo work, or more preferably form a band, considering the massive metal/hardcore scene in Boston, shouldn't be tooo hard hopefully. Also thinking maybe starting up producing some shit here and there, try to possibly go down the road of a producer, always really loved working in the studio and fucking around for hours on various small details.

Edited by user 26 April 2010 05:07:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Paradox  
#19 Posted : 26 April 2010 11:50:54(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Synxhard wrote:
Well, I'm moving to Boston in June, gonna be going to Berklee School Of Music. Planning on majoring in guitar performance and minoring in production. My hope is to either go into solo work, or more preferably form a band, considering the massive metal/hardcore scene in Boston, shouldn't be tooo hard hopefully. Also thinking maybe starting up producing some shit here and there, try to possibly go down the road of a producer, always really loved working in the studio and fucking around for hours on various small details.

UserPostedImage
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Synxhard  
#20 Posted : 26 April 2010 11:52:03(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
lol, unfortunately yeah, prospects aren't that high.