logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Synxhard  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2010 15:46:44(UTC)
Synxhard

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The Troubadour, Sunset Blvd.
8:05 PM
Backstage

OOC: Gonna warn you ahead of time, this rp switches perspectives a good deal. I'll try to make the changes clear, but bear with me, cause this is my first time dabbling in first person live performance. Here's the points of view used:

Chris Jasta - Bass
Jason Byrne - Vocals
Karim Peters - Suicidal Maniacs' Tour Manager
Matt Lozinack - Drums
Crowd View/3rd Person

IC:

(Perspective Of Jason Byrne)

The energy backstage is always so fucking intense man. I mean, it feels like a bomb's gonna go off here any minute now. Some people, like Matt and Frank, try to drown it by abusing drugs and alcohol, respectively. Then you got the guys like fucking Chris, that ripped beast, who just start punching fucking cement walls of all things to let off steam. Me, I personally like to save all that energy for the stage, cause it's a common belief for us that if you finish a show covered in blood, ya played damn well, and the only way I can ensure that level of energy will be released is by lying low right before the action. Generally it helps to pass the time by chatting it up with Karim about the latest merch (or lack there-of), or maybe programming the venue music, and often times as I find myself to doing more and more frequently, writing the night's setlist. That one always works.

Karim pokes his head in from the side of the stage, 'Hey you filthy hobos, shows in 5 minutes, get ready'.

By now we all know the drill, each man breaking from his individual pleasure and huddling up, ready to lay everything on the line. I find the words coming out of my mouth without even consciously feeling them, 'Guys, we gotta do this for fucking Wayne. Think of how pissed you are that he's willing to endanger the band like this, tap into that energy onstage'.

'Hell yeah man', says Chris, joining in,'Also let's try to get that rage for those "Wall" guys goin, that'll really knock the crowd right fucking over'.

'Coolio', mumbles Matt. I punch him playfully,'Yeah, and maybe we can play a speed benefit show after this to clear up those fucking debts, you junkie'.

'3 minutes' reminds Karim, queuing us to split the circle. Matt and Frank leave the room, guitar and sticks in hand, to enter from stage left, leaving me and Chris alone. 'Damn man', Chris says, jamming out a little bass lick,'So used to Wayne being right here with us, and doing our little traditional 3 way Jaeger shot'.

'Yeah man, it's new to me to. Let's try to make sure we're never in this position again', I offer with a smile.

'Dude, if I didn't know you better, that would've been sooo homo', he teases, pouring a shot of Jaeger for each of us, and one for Karim, who's waiting at the side of the stage.

As we're jogging up the short flight of stairs, my head bangs against something sharp hanging from the ceiling, and I feel the familiar trickle of blood begin to ooze. 'Fuck man, hit my head'. Guess I won't have to worry about bleeding tonight. 'Here, it'll probably numb the pain', Chris says, handing me my shot glass. '3, 2, 1', I count, and the 3 of us toss back the little glasses. I'm immediately greeted by that warm feeling of just pure fucking energy. The house lights dim, and I can see a portion of the relatively full Troubadour crowd perk up. Just then, our intro tape begins to play over the PA. Karim gives me a joking shove forward, and Chris and I are off, shadows moving across the black stage, nearly invisible to the audience, who are captivated with the sounds of an old man recounting grisly tales of mass murder in the state of Texas:

(OOC: Kudos to anyone who can name the song)
On the afternoon of August 18th, 1973
5 young people in a Volkswagen van ran out of gas on a farm road in South Texas
4 of them were never seen again
The next morning the sole survivor, Sally Harvest Ian Wright, was picked up on a roadside
Blood cacked and screaming murder
Sally said she had broken out of a window in Hell
The girl babbled a mad tale
A cannibal family in an isolated farm house
Chainsawed fingers and bones
Her brother, her firends hacked up for barbecue
Chairs made of human skeletons
Then she sank into catatonia
Texas lawmen mounted a month long man-hunt but could not locate the macabre farm house
They could find no killers and no victims
No facts, no crime
Officially, on the records, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre never happened
But during the last 13 years, over and over again
Reports of bizarre, grisly chainsaw mass murders have persisted across the state of Texas
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has not stopped
It haunts Texas
It seems to have no end

The house lights flood on over the stage, and an almost animalistic instinct overtakes me. Lost in the moment, I nearly forget we're about to play 'Oppression', one of the most difficult songs to memorize, and the clicking of Matt's hi-hat seems far and away in the distance, the sound of my own pulse much louder. Luckily the track begins with a quick guitar riff section first, allowing me time to regain my composure a bit. The crowd is thrashing, and there comes the sudden crash of the toms, and I'm off, going down the first big roller coaster drop, the lyrics reaching me mere milliseconds before they must be barked out at the frenzied crowd. Damn, I really need to warm up more pre-show, cause Matt sure as hell isn't backing off on those blast beats. I get a quick break, enough time to high five a fan or two before the dreaded high scream. Why do I always set such high goals for myself? Here it is, the moment of truth, and there it goes, right on pitch, although there isn't anytime to bask in the glory of my success. I swing back, nearly running into Frank on my way off the monitor. Jolting, yes, but where's the fun in performing if the stage isn't a bit like a obstacle course. Here comes the second chorus, packed with another brutal high, the bane of my larynx's existence. Wow, Chris and Matt are locked in especially tight tonight, wonder if it's got something to do with the high stakes. Ok, here we go, the real deathy part, that gives me about ten seconds here. I would try a flip off the monitor, yeah, that outta be fun. Here goes nothing.... oh shit, almost lost it there, buddy. Now we just got the string of high bits and then I'm clear through the breakdown, ok, get ready.... one down, two down, three down, and there goes the last one. Highs accomplished, now time to high five some of the kids.

All of the sudden, something whizzes by my head, smashing into a spray of glass to my right. I trace the shot roughly back to where it came, and there, in plain view is the problem. A fucking punk in a "Walls" shirt, just great. Well, If he throws something at me, I gotta come back 10 times stronger, so I pick up one of the spare mic stands and hurl it across the 150 person capacity venue, coming so damn close to hitting the little fucker. Ah, there he goes, too scared to keep on watching. That's right, just walk away faggot.

That's when I hear Matt's drum fill, bringing me back into the breakdown. Me and Frank are headbanging pretty viciously, and Chris is going completely fucking nuts on my other side. Damn, I'm flanked by to of the greatest of all time, this is pretty fucking unreal. 'Oppression' picks up a bit of speed, getting a really brutal crust-core/D-beat feel going, which I try to match with my last bits of growled vocals. And finally, some real fucking low notes, thank god, I thought they'd never come. We wrap up the song real nice and tight, the room exploding into yells and shouts for more, still unaware the next song is barely a second away.

TO BE CONTINUED

Edited by user 08 May 2010 15:45:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Synxhard  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2010 09:11:17(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

(Perspective of Jason)

I survey the near rioting club, fans pushing their way to the front of the stage and breaking out into fist fights left and right. Time to really get em' going. 'You guys know the little Finnish band Rotten Sound?!?!', I say, and am greeted by a massive upheaval of shouts. 'Fucking good man, we got a little number from them for you guys, get on your feet!', yelling now, I prepare the final words, 'This, is, FOLLOW!'. Like a time bomb, the room explodes into a sea of moshing, which is hammered left and right by pummeling, distorted death/grind, via one of Rotten Sounds greatest songs.

I start barking the lyrics, this time having a much easier go of it. Fans stream onstage from all sides, and I try to shove as many of them off the stage as possible, just for laughs. It's starting to look pretty gnarly over to the left, so I decide to go over there and stir some shit up. Just as I make it down to the left edge, fist pumping vigorously, some douche gets a little too excited and punches me on the chest. Now some guys may let that stuff slide, but when I'm onstage, the goal is to get the energy in the room all the way up, the more fucking action the better, so I start raining punches down on the guy. Some of his friends start joining in, and before I know whats going on, theres a full scale 50 person fist fight in action.

I make a split decision to break from the fight, cause I got a more important commitment to the band, not worth it wasting our show beating some dude up. Frank offers me a hand up, and I'm out, back up on stage, picking up the mic in time to spit out the last chorus. Damn, gotta love a feisty show....

NEXT PART UP SOON
Offline Synxhard  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2010 12:50:50(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

(Perspective Of Chris)

So far the show has been going great. We're all on the ball an real tight, which isn't always the case, and the crowd is fucking nuts man. I mean, I just wanna leap into the pit and have a go at it, but I got more important things to handle, one of which is double checking with Karim we're clear to work pyro in the Troubadour. I've got some big plans for tonight, a crowd like this deserves a bit of a surprise. Jason is talking to the fans, goading them on, practically begging them to riot right here, right now.

I sneak back to the side of the stage, and Karim gives me a nod, lifting my spirits to an unearthly high. In his hands are 2 bottles of Absolut and a lighter, and I make no attempt to stop him as he douses my legs in the vodka we lifted from Gelson's today, partly because my heart might explode from the combination of adrenaline, exertion and pure anxiety if I worked myself any harder.

'Ok man, you just gotta set off the lighter when you're ready, everything should work. You sure you wanna go through with this?', Karim asks, tossing me the small silver lighter. 'Hell yeah man, it's all for the show. Plus, I got jeans on, don't worry', I respond, raring to burst onstage. I glance over at the setlist posted on the wall. ' "Pulverized", eh? Haven't played that one recently', Karim notes, and I nod. 'Yeah, I think Wayne tends to have a hard time with that one, but who gives a shit, since he's not here anyways, right?', I explain, realizing out of the corner of my eye Matt's ushering me back onstage. 'See ya in a few', is all I leave Karim with, barely close enough to here his response, 'I hope'.....

The crowd of 150 has turned into a venue wide mosh pit, the perfect setting to debut one of our most grind lenient tunes. Matt counts off the beat to the song, much faster than the original tempo, as always. The crowd splits in two as a pair of drunks duke it out in the middle with beer bottles and fists, and Matt's smashing d-beat drum intro comes in, queuing me to start playing. God this song gets me pumped, pumped to the point I start spinning and kick flipping in every direction, barely able to hold down the crust-core reminiscent chord riff. Matt and I lock in almost perfectly, creating this seamless flow from chunky riffing to brutal break-downs, which only encourages me to rage out even more. Apparently it inspires the audience to, because all of the sudden a wall-of-death is converging around the bloodied wasted fighters, and the whole place bursts into riots, kids tearing down the bar and tables, reducing them to scraps in a matter of seconds.

Caught in the moment, I decide to go for my little stunt, whipping out Karim's little silver lighter and watching it's flame buzz to life. Still spinning uncontrollably, I reach to press the lighter to my pants, when the headstock of my bass connects with Frank, who was until this moment passing by rather peacefully. The lighter drops, igniting my alcohol soaked jeans, sending me into a panic. I leap around, tossing the bass out of range of my flaming body, and try to leap into the crowd, tipping over a monitor as I go down. Now the crowd is in for a real treat, as I come racing into the throng of the pit, spurting flames every where.

Karim, god bless him, comes running in after me, blasting the general area with a freezing gust of chilled foam via the fire extinguisher. My heart rate begins to descend to normal, as I free myself from clawing fans on my way back up onstage. What a night man......

#4 (MAYBE 5 TOO) LATER TONIGHT

Edited by user 07 May 2010 14:11:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Synxhard  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2010 15:44:45(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

OOC: I've just decided I'm gonna scrap the Suicidal Maniacs, not sure what else to due with them. I had fun stirring things up a bit, but the gimmick's already wearing kinda old. I got new plans for a much more interesting project, should be putting that into action soon.