logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2010 05:52:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8675 time(s) in 2721 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Alicia Lena spends the majority of her time in New York City and has lived their since the age of 17. She has built a life for herself in New York City after growing up in San Diego, California. She moved to New York to work on her music career and increase the chances of getting signed. Her debut album This Is Who I Am was released on Monday 10th May 2010 to positive reaction. She’s already been called the princess of R&B and is expected to have an incredibly long and successful career in music.

She’s also become friends with some of the biggest names in music today including, Tisha Jackson, Moquel, Ryan Ross Hernandez, O’Bryan Richmond and Dan Richerds. She’s already released her debut single New York Love Affair (Feat. Stephanie Fierce) which peaked at 26 in the South American singles charts. She’s also touring in the summer with Tisha Jackson as an opening act on the North American leg of her world tour. It was now time for me to meet “The Princess Of R&B”.

We arranged to meet at her Manhattan apartment on 6th Avenue for the interview and as I made my way down the street I noticed a billboard promoting her debut album which is in view from her apartment window, If she ever needs confirmation that she’s made it, she just has to look out of her window.

I arrive at her apartment and she meets me at the entrance wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, she smiles and greets me at the door of her apartment. “I live four floors up so we’ll take the elevator”. once we arrive at her room she offers me a drink and gives me a tour of her apartment. It’s a very warm homely place with pictures of her family and friends, she’s also got quite a record collection and also a collection of books and DVD’s. As I take a look through her books I notice a recurring theme, the majority of books are novels about finding yourself. Catcher In The Rye, The Great Gatsby, Brave New World are just some of the titles that grace her bookshelf. Her DVD collection is more ranged from Romantic Comedy’s to Drama’s including Into The Wild, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Lost In Translation and Dead Poet’s Society. Her music collection is as you’d expect, Some modern music from Tisha Jackson to Miss Vanity and then there are some music legends from Sam Cooke, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Prince, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles and Aretha Franklin, it’s quite a collection. “I listen to a lot of music, it’s the 1st thing I think about in the morning.”

We sit on her couch and begin talking about how her career started. “I learned to play the piano when I was eight years old which is quite early, My parents listen to a lot of Soul, R&B music and Sam Cooke was completely top of the pile in terms of music. I loved his music so for me to be able to play Sam Cooke songs on the piano that was what made me want to continue learning so when I was about 11 I started playing at school events and I was so comfortable with a piano that I knew that that’s what I wanted to do, and I’m very grateful to get the opportunity to be a professional musician.”

She was signed by Max Armstrong in 2010 and things seem to have taken off from there. “I opened for The Junction at one of their New York gigs in 2009 after their original opening act pulled out at the last minute so that’s how I got to know Max and he kept in touch after that and in January he called me and asked if I could meet him at 4th Street Studio’s to discuss signing with Junction Records because they were looking to expand and everything seems to have happened quickly from there too be honest.”

Her debut album was recorded between February and April it would usually be a taxing time but she seems to enjoy it “It was great fun, I hadn’t been in a studio before then but I never wanted to leave it. I really enjoyed every moment of recording the album, it was great fun and hopefully that comes across on the finished album.”
Her private life has been discussed in the media in recent weeks and she doesn’t seem to fazed by the interest. “I’ve got some great friends and they’ve kind of embraced the media attention which I think can be a bit intrusive at times but it’s their job to get photo’s. I’m a pretty normal person I look after myself I don’t have maids or cleaners. I don’t have an entourage or anything crazy like that, I’m a pretty down to earth girl. I like to occasionally go out and party with friends but I also like to spend my time at home watching TV, listening to music or reading.”

She’s also a prolific songwriter and had over 30 songs to choose from for the album. “I’m usually always writing lyrics. Sometimes the words don’t come and sometimes the music doesn’t come but then there’s days where everything combines perfectly and before I know it I’ve got about 7 new songs. I had 37 songs to choose from for my debut album and I had to choose 10 songs from 37 which was a difficult task but I think I made the correct decision.”
She’s also lent a hand to a couple of charities since becoming a famous singer. “I think it’s important for someone who can make a difference to someone’s life and right now I’m capable of giving help to people who need it. I’m not going to preach to people about helping charities but I would recommend it, if your capable of helping out then what’s stopping you. I’m going to continue to do what I can to help people less fortunate than me.”

She already has an idea of what she wants from the future “I’ve got a rough idea of how the next year is going go. I’ve got my follow up single out in June-July called More Than You’ll Ever Know and then I’ll be following that up with a September release of the song Party-Starter which features vocals from Tisha Jackson. I’ll be planning on touring in support of this album until about March 2011 and then hopefully I’ll begin on a follow up album.”
She’s not always been the clean cut sweet person she is today “San Diego was a period which was completely different to now. I’d party every night without a care. And if I had that life now I don’t think I’d be happy.”

The big question is will she crumble under the pressure of fame or will she rise to the top? I know what my money's on

Turn the page for a look at Alicia's year so far in picture's
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2010 06:09:23(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

PHOTO'S

UserPostedImage - Performing at 20th IMA’s on 14th April.

UserPostedImage - Alicia’s 1st day of recording on 5th February.

UserPostedImage
Alicia & Ryan Ross Hernandez in the New York record studio March 12th 2010

UserPostedImage - The cover for her debut album This Is Who I Am.

UserPostedImage - Artwork for her debut single New York Love Affair (Feat. Stephanie Fierce).

UserPostedImage - Alicia with close friend Tisha Jackson in New York.

UserPostedImage - Alicia in her New York apartment, photo taken for a previous issue of Rolling Stone Magazine.
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2010 10:41:26(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
Tisha: I love you Alicia. I am so proud of you and happy for you. Thanks for being a true friend and I am so happy to see you become the amazing sucess you've become.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2010 14:28:49(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17998 time(s) in 10465 post(s)
erich:anyone that cute that reads "brave new world"is doing something right.

karoliena:hot chicks 'n dystopian futures.some things were just meant to go together.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2010 20:36:23(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

TishaJackson!!!! wrote:
Tisha: I love you Alicia. I am so proud of you and happy for you. Thanks for being a true friend and I am so happy to see you become the amazing sucess you've become.

Alicia: Thanks Tisha. Your support has really helped make me comfortable in the music industry. Your a true friend.
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2010 20:37:43(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

erich hess wrote:
erich:anyone that cute that reads "brave new world"is doing something right.

karoliena:hot chicks 'n dystopian futures.some things were just meant to go together.

Alicia: It's nice to know that I'm doing something right.
Offline Moquel  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:06:33(UTC)
Moquel

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 964 post(s)
" Alicia on Rolling Stone? Going to the top, I havent got a call from Rolling Stone yet. Shows plenty of success"
- Moquel
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:10:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Moquel wrote:
" Alicia on Rolling Stone? Going to the top, I havent got a call from Rolling Stone yet. Shows plenty of success"
- Moquel

Alicia: You'll be on there soon, especially with your album coming up, I can't wait to meet up with you again sometime.
Offline Moquel  
#9 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:14:12(UTC)
Moquel

C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

Alicia: You'll be on there soon, especially with your album coming up, I can't wait to meet up with you again sometime.

" You in New York"
- Moquel Via Black Berry X3
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:15:54(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

" You in New York"

"Yeah as always.I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now
x."
- Alicia
Offline Moquel  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:17:38(UTC)
Moquel

C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

" You in New York"

x."
- Alicia

" I'm getting prepared for this big performance tonight. Come over."
- Moquel
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:21:41(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

" You in New York"

x."
- Alicia

- Moquel

Alicia: Tonight? sure just txt me where it's at and I'll be there.
Offline Moquel  
#13 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:24:44(UTC)
Moquel

C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

" You in New York"

x."
- Alicia

- Moquel

" Ok. I texted you. It's tonight at 8PM."
- Moquel
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:28:54(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
Moquel wrote:
- Moquel

" You in New York"

x."
- Alicia

- Moquel

" Ok. I texted you. It's tonight at 8PM."
- Moquel

Ok I'll see you there.