logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Nimrods  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:30:26(UTC)
The Nimrods

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Progressive Death Metal titans The Nimrods have been hidden for months; while the band members were often seen around town suffering the excesses of drugs and alcohol, they hadn't even played a show. After working with Quarantine for two records; frontman and guitarist Jimmy Him had been missing the studio and began composing songs with co-writer and bassist Davey Matlock. "It was definitely more of a combined effort this time," Jimmy Him said. "There used to be my songs,Davey's songs, and Kit's songs. Now there all just Nimrod songs". Redemption is a huge combination of different styles of metal and progressive metal. It features harmonized counterpoint melodies reminiscent of Orchid and Morningrise era Opeth, jazzy interludes and drumming reminiscent of Atheist, more technical progressive riffs reminiscent of Augury, and jazz leads and the occasional down-tuned riffs of Meshuggah. "We tried our hardest to mix together a variety of styles because we wanted to stretch our genre as far as possible. We tried to mix brutality and beauty as much as possible and at the same time stay true to our death metal roots, as well as the progressive ones." Davey said. The single released is the final song and title track on the album also called Redemption and paints a great picture for the rest of the album.

The instrumental performances are at their true prime. Jimmy's singing voice has gotten to the point where he can sing on par with his contemporaries yet retains his signature rasp. His harsh vocals are even better. Using growls that can be either extremely low, or even somewhat high.Using screeches that are both sinister and gut wrenching full of emotion and anger at the same time. His guitar skills have greatly increased with varying influences from bluesy leads, to jazzy chord progressions, to full out shredding using a variety of techniques. His rhythms can either be very chuggy and tight using his 7 string or technical and melodic with tapping and string skipping thrown in.

Davey has switched basses to a 5 string fretless bass. This emphasizes the jazz influence and also gives his sound more definition. Davey's lines only follow Jimmy completely a few times. He occasionally will follow part of Jimmy's lines and then throw in a tail that he made, not different from Mike Dirnt's work on the earlier Green Day records. He also uses several slides which emulates the sound of a horn, a technique he picked up from Steve DiGiorgio on the Death record "Individual Thought Patterns". Davey's lines are very technical yet fitting, and constantly heard. He plays exclusively with his fingers so the speed he reaches on some songs is amazing.His solos are also on most of the songs. Usually he gets a 30 second break to do what he does best and he does it well, never showing off too much but still showing that he's got quite a large amount of skills.

Kit Saunders is a drummer who never really needs an introduction. His technical prowess, accuracy, and speed are matched by few. Kit stated that his main influences for the album were the drumming on Atheist's Elements, Satyricon's Nemesis Divina, Opeth's Damnation,Cryptopsy's None So Vile, Cynic's Focus, and Tool's Lateralus and 10,000 Days. He uses several "tribal" sections along with very over the top jazz fills which are great for climaxes within songs. His double bass speed is so fast that he was forced to trigger his drums because some of the hits weren't heard and sounded like an odd roll, he also likes the sound of properly triggered drums. Kit brings back the intense blast beats of earlier records which are fast and very thick, like those of Decapitated. He also uses difficult polyrhythms, mixing various odd time signatures that were inspired from Meshuggah's Tomas Haake. "I don't even think I can outdo myself on the next record because I just put everything I had into this record. The title track is the most intense thing I've ever done. It opens with my sort of drum solo which is just some 260 bpm extreme metal drumming, then in the middle I've got a tribal section with polyrhythms and whatnot,finally at the end there's a very jazzy part I play with really difficult fills and ride accents which took me forever to learn" he said. All of his tracks were recorded in one take after he practiced his pieces for 2 months.

In overall the tracks are not only solid but amazing. Out of the 10 songs at least 7 are amazing and complex, yet not so much that you can't understand them. The performances of the individual musicians are the best they've ever done as well. Redemption is definitely a highlight for metal and the band is very proud of it. They're scheduling a tour and are planning to stay on the scene for a very long time. Track by track review coming soon.Buy now!

OOC:When I compare their instruments to musicians I'm not saying they sound exactly like them, I'm using them as a comparison, for those who might say something like "You sound to much like blank" so yeah. Worked really hard on this so please comment.

Edited by user 15 July 2010 03:23:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:43:14(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Wooo! So happy to see the Nimrods back on the scene! Get a tour going lads and we can catch a much needed pint asap!

-Ryan Lee (ex Blood Of Wecz)

OOC: Nice work man. Nice to see another Rp-er back!
UserPostedImage
Offline The Nimrods  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:44:02(UTC)
The Nimrods

genocidal king wrote:
Wooo! So happy to see the Nimrods back on the scene! Get a tour going lads and we can catch a much needed pint asap!

-Ryan Lee (ex Blood Of Wecz)

OOC: Nice work man. Nice to see another Rp-er back!

Jimmy:yeah man, a pint on me, hell make it 8 haha.

OOC:Thanks!
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:49:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
Stacey: I really like The Nimrods, Any band that likes to be naked as much as me is a good thing. I'll definitely be checking out this record and single.
Offline The Nimrods  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:52:42(UTC)
The Nimrods

C4AJoh wrote:
Stacey: I really like The Nimrods, Any band that likes to be naked as much as me is a good thing. I'll definitely be checking out this record and single.

Davey:We were naked the whole recording, hope that made your day haha.
Kit:Something about drumming naked just makes it easier, 'cept when the snare falls over and hits you in the crotch.
Jimmy:We haven't changed much...

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:54:57(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:

Davey:We were naked the whole recording, hope that made your day haha.
Kit:Something about drumming naked just makes it easier, 'cept when the snare falls over and hits you in the crotch.
Jimmy:We haven't changed much...

Stacey: Sounds like fun. Glad you guys are back recording again.
Offline Laurelles1  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2010 03:16:27(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: Halle-fucking-lujah! It's good to see some truly great bands still continuing to make music.

OOC: Absolutely awesome RP. The detail in it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. You're still probably one of the best RPers on the game.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline The Nimrods  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2010 03:19:07(UTC)
The Nimrods

Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: Halle-fucking-lujah! It's good to see some truly great bands still continuing to make music.

OOC: Absolutely awesome RP. The detail in it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. You're still probably one of the best RPers on the game.

OOC:Thanks man, haven't gotten that since I started haha

Jimmy:We figured it was about time we came back with something monumental, hence Redemption. Thanks man.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Hellspawn  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2010 03:53:20(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

Was thanked: 212 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Tom: Oh, very good to Have you Back in the Scene!
Offline The Nimrods  
#10 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:11:30(UTC)
The Nimrods

Jimmy:Thanks man!

OOC:Currently working on my track by track, but only half. Done two songs and it's been like half an hour. Pretty descriptive.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#11 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:12:25(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
(All of The Chickmunk Girls): YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Offline The Nimrods  
#12 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:17:18(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:

Jimmy:I figured progressive metal would be too long for you, along with a few other things ;)

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#13 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:25:37(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Jimmy:I figured progressive metal would be too long for you, along with a few other things ;)

Kathy: *gasp* You nasty *giggles*
Olivia: I kind of like that......
Shanti: Olivia.....you should be ashamed of yourself. Anyways......I'll be looking out for the album!
Olivia: Nothing is ever too long for me. *winks*
Kathy & Shanti: *Screaming* SHUT UP! GOSH!

Kathy: She means musically of course!
Offline The Nimrods  
#14 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:26:57(UTC)
The Nimrods

The track by track shall be arranged in two parts. The band's favorite tracks and the rest which are still very good. First the favorites and why from each member.

Dichotomy of Man (10:34):
This is the opener of the album.This track starts with an explosion of brutal technical riffs, like something from Suffocation's Pierced from Within. After 2 minutes of mayhem Jimmy quite literally roars with a powerful death growl for 15 seconds.After this the song goes into a slow,heavy,chord progression. The verse is slow and crushing with Jimmy growling the whole way through and occasionally accenting a line with a terrifying scream. After that the chorus comes in with quick catchy riffing and Jimmy singing cleanly.The song goes into a clean interlude, slowly getting louder and louder until it turns into a somewhat middle eastern influenced section with lots of tribal drumming and Davey going at it with his bass. Jimmy however plays several sustained notes which keeps the song grounded and not too over the top.The song returns to the heavy verse and after that Jimmy plays a riveting guitar solo that's very emotional but has several fast bits thrown in, something Chuck Schuldiner from Death would too. After another fast and brutal instrumental passage the chorus returns and fades out through the end of the song. 9.5/10

Jimmy:I like this one because of my solo and because I enjoy it as an opening track. I think it's very explosive but diverse which is nice and gives me a chance to play in a more restrained manner and in a more technical one as well.

Davey:I enjoy my bass playing on it, it's very catchy and even a little funky, also the tribal part is my favorite of the whole album, it serves as my giant bass solo yet it's pretty memorable.

Kit:I also enjoy the tribal part because it's full of polyrhythms, I switch the bass drum pattern 7 times and it wasn't easy, but it's so fun!

Hidden in the Mist (8:32):
This one is very epic in feel. It's full of nice harmonized guitar melodies that just paint a beautiful picture. The bass is actually rather simple in some parts but add plenty of accents.The song has a pretty long intro of 3 minutes with no vocals, however once they do come in the song gets even more epic. Jimmy sings cleanly for an entire verse however the background is rather heavy harmonized riffs which sounds really cool. After the verse Davey gets a 45 second bass solo and then the song goes into a clean part. During the acoustic part Kit gets to do some pretty complex jazz drumming showing that he's gotten better and more diverse. The next verse comes in with Jimmy screaming away his larynx and playing a more chord based melody. Kit's double bass storms away like a machine gun and Davey throws in lots of slides giving off a horn effect so that the bass is more audible.After Jimmy and Davey do a trade-off solo reminiscent of their earlier days the song ends in a heavy 7 string breakdown similar to Meshuggah with Jimmy also tracking some sustained notes above it. 10/10.

Jimmy:I love my first verse in this. I also think the ending breakdown is amazing.

Davey:I like my fretless slides, something about them are just so cool to me, also the breakdown is pretty sick, not really deathcore, but heavy.

Kit:I enjoy Davey's bass solos, he's gotten pretty damn good at them, also the second verse when Jimmy and I go insane is so fun.

Rotting in the Crypt(5:40):
This one's just brutal.Jimmy plays heavy chunky riffs in the opening with Davey's bass rumbling underneath like a bulldozer from hell. Kit's blasting and double bass is unbelievable with plenty of speed and intensity. Jimmy's voice is so guttural it almost sounds like the bass.The band continues playing heavily with a sudden stop for Kit to play a fill and then they go into a a brutal riffing instrumental reminiscent of Suffocation.After the slow brutality the music stops again for 5 long seconds.Immediately Jimmy lets out a brutal roar and the band erupts into terrifying fast riffs with Kit blasting faster than ever.After this verse there's a bridge sort of section with a slow chugging riff and Jimmy growling again. The song ends with 1 last chord and Jimmy doing a 20 second scream. 10/10

Jimmy:I enjoy my scream the most, and that slow brutal riffing, so fun!

Davey:I like Kit's drumming ,he out did himself on the extreme level, really intense,very riveting performance.

Kit:I really like my drumming a well. Davey's low bass is really cool too, very powerful.

That's all for now, the other two favorites and some of the regular tracks will be reviewed tomorrow.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline The Nimrods  
#15 Posted : 15 July 2010 04:28:06(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Kathy: *gasp* You nasty *giggles*
Olivia: I kind of like that......
Shanti: Olivia.....you should be ashamed of yourself. Anyways......I'll be looking out for the album!
Olivia: Nothing is ever too long for me. *winks*
Kathy & Shanti: *Screaming* SHUT UP! GOSH!

Kathy: She means musically of course!

Jimmy:Well that's very nice of y'all. Make sure to buy.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline The Nimrods  
#16 Posted : 15 July 2010 05:34:16(UTC)
The Nimrods

OOC:BTW any tips would be cool, I still wanna get better at this

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#17 Posted : 15 July 2010 05:44:40(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:

ooc: You know for sure damn well you don't need tips.
Offline The Nimrods  
#18 Posted : 15 July 2010 05:45:30(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

OOC:Sure I do, no matter what you can always be better at something. Every time I RP I feel like something's missing.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#19 Posted : 15 July 2010 05:47:05(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

OOC:Sure I do, no matter what you can always be better at something. Every time I RP I feel like something's missing.

OOC: Well i think you did great, don't overwhelm yourself. And the response has been great be appreciative ;)
Offline The Nimrods  
#20 Posted : 15 July 2010 05:47:44(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

OOC: Well i think you did great, don't overwhelm yourself. And the response has been great be appreciative ;)

OOC:Well thank you then!

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote: