logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

420 Pages«<231232233234235>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Thorgrim  
#4641 Posted : 23 July 2010 01:40:08(UTC)
Thorgrim

Groups: Registered
Man

Gildermershina wrote:
So I got a cheap classical guitar a couple of days ago, and I am playing it a lot, and man, it's weird playing nylon strings. And the fretboard is crazy wide so the string spacing is much larger. Still, fun. Learning more from playing this in two days than I have with my electric for years.

Good lad.
Offline forkboy  
#4642 Posted : 23 July 2010 02:56:59(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
asdf wrote:
forkboy wrote:
Yeah, I mean if you use the bible as your justification for eating meat then boy do I hope you stone blasphemers and all the rest of the crazy shit you find in the first 4 books of the Old Testament.

That stuffs metaphorical, not literal.

So Leviticus 24:10-23 is a metaphor but God putting the animals here for us to eat isn't? Why not? What is it that makes you decide what is metaphor and what is the true word of your deity?

Also, the metaphor thing is a cheap get out. A metaphor has to mean something, so if you don't know what it means then it isn't a metaphor.
Offline Raphaela  
#4643 Posted : 23 July 2010 04:58:17(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Yesterday I may have watched the best play of my life.
I'm still in shock at the awesomeness of the actor (who is also the director and wrote the play).
The fuckers on the audience that didn't understand the whole point of the play (it was a play about darkness, they gave us flashlights at the beginning BUT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO REMAIN IN THE DARK) pissed me off, but it was all worth it :')
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Aj  
#4644 Posted : 23 July 2010 18:18:44(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
asdf wrote:
forkboy wrote:
Yeah, I mean if you use the bible as your justification for eating meat then boy do I hope you stone blasphemers and all the rest of the crazy shit you find in the first 4 books of the Old Testament.

So Leviticus 24:10-23 is a metaphor but God putting the animals here for us to eat isn't? Why not? What is it that makes you decide what is metaphor and what is the true word of your deity?

Also, the metaphor thing is a cheap get out. A metaphor has to mean something, so if you don't know what it means then it isn't a metaphor.

Thing is with this argument, is Science can explain everything it can explain logically (minus Quantum physics and that lot for a moment), for instance because of one rule it'll make another one work and prove that right, which will prove another right, if you see what I mean? So like no matter what ASDF say's Forkboy will have an answer for it, or just another question that is unanswered, whereas ASDF has to repeat the same thing over and over again because religion doesn't, and in my opinion shouldn't change for Science.

So basically what I'm trying to say is arguing over this is pointlesss because ASDF (though in my opinion wrong) won't change his opinion about it and you can't change his religion.

And btw does anyone wanna sell me Mass Effect 2 for under like a tenner on Ebay or something ? I really want it but I don't have the money for it. :(
Offline Gildermershina  
#4645 Posted : 23 July 2010 21:06:11(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Aj wrote:
forkboy wrote:
asdf wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Thing is with this argument, is Science can explain everything it can explain logically (minus Quantum physics and that lot for a moment), for instance because of one rule it'll make another one work and prove that right, which will prove another right, if you see what I mean? So like no matter what ASDF say's Forkboy will have an answer for it, or just another question that is unanswered, whereas ASDF has to repeat the same thing over and over again because religion doesn't, and in my opinion shouldn't change for Science.

So basically what I'm trying to say is arguing over this is pointlesss because ASDF (though in my opinion wrong) won't change his opinion about it and you can't change his religion.

And btw does anyone wanna sell me Mass Effect 2 for under like a tenner on Ebay or something ? I really want it but I don't have the money for it. :(

Man, you should have paid attention to the summer Steam sales. I'm pretty sure it was about a tenner on there for a day or so. Course, that's the PC version, so if you want the 360, keep looking I guess.

Edited by user 23 July 2010 21:07:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rodney81  
#4646 Posted : 24 July 2010 02:57:17(UTC)
Rodney81

so um, my entire state was flooded heavily and hit with a massive storm. And the worst of the entire storm was reported to have been over my suburban neighborhood. FML
Offline C4AJoh  
#4647 Posted : 24 July 2010 07:17:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Oh yeah I forgot to mention it's my birthday today d'oh!
Offline Laurelles1  
#4648 Posted : 24 July 2010 07:18:21(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
C4AJoh wrote:

Happy birthday, then!
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#4649 Posted : 24 July 2010 07:22:46(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Laurelles1 wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:

Happy birthday, then!

Why thank you, I'm just spending the evening with Hannah and a couple of friends at the flat, we've got a few cans in so it's all good and we might have a few drinks in town tommorow night.
Offline Gildermershina  
#4650 Posted : 24 July 2010 07:35:28(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Rodney81 wrote:
so um, my entire state was flooded heavily and hit with a massive storm. And the worst of the entire storm was reported to have been over my suburban neighborhood. FML

Well that sucks. Hope there's not too much damage.
Offline forkboy  
#4651 Posted : 24 July 2010 10:04:44(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Aj wrote:

Nah. See, What you've done is point out why the scientific method is so successful: it rejects what is disproven and embraces that which is either proven multiple times in controlled conditions or is at the least mathematically probable in the case of some theories. Theories that are proven to be wrong, like the Earth being the centre of the universe or the Earth being 6,000 or so years old have been disproven and so people have moved on and looked for new theories, worked on them until they are the most accepted possible explanation for whatever in the scientific community. Perhaps some day soon some theories we hold as correct will be proven to be partially (or maybe even completely wrong) such as Einstein's work corrected Newton's laws of gravity.

Meanwhile religion is based on thousands of year old dogma that is apparently completely unable to change and so ends up promoting harmful, backwards attitudes. Fuck that. Religion should not be given a free-pass, it needs to be challenged at every opportunity because it is on the whole a negative force upon society. It encourages blind obedience to your masters and equates knowledge with evil: better to be ignorant because that is GOOD. Fuck that. It's unhealthy, it's negative, and on top of everything else it is entirely opposed to human nature; we are inquistive beasts who crave knowledges.

Also you say I'm wasting my time but hey, people of religion spend lots of time prosetlysing to non-believers, and that clearly grabs them some converts or they would not do it, so why shouldn't I do it back at them and try to convince them to turn their backs on the dark of ignorance and servitude and into the light of inquiry, knowledge, learning and most importantly, thinking for yourself and challenging the status quo.
Offline xNightsidex  
#4652 Posted : 25 July 2010 01:39:41(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I got kicked out recently, the joy!
Offline Gildermershina  
#4653 Posted : 25 July 2010 03:42:46(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

So, in five days I've gone from knowing no actual guitar chords to knowing 8: A, Am, D, Dm, E, Em, G and Gm.
Offline tension101  
#4654 Posted : 25 July 2010 05:09:01(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
xNightsidex wrote:
I got kicked out recently, the joy!

I'm sorry, that really sucks...
Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline Synxhard  
#4655 Posted : 25 July 2010 05:15:54(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
So, in five days I've gone from knowing no actual guitar chords to knowing 8: A, Am, D, Dm, E, Em, G and Gm.

Words can't describe how happy the little Berklee guitar nerd inside me is right now.
Offline Gildermershina  
#4656 Posted : 25 July 2010 07:12:01(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Synxhard wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Words can't describe how happy the little Berklee guitar nerd inside me is right now.

I can't change particularly fast or anything yet, but it is a start. My electric isn't really suitable for learning on because it's turned to Drop B and it's a strat-style neck on a LP style body, which creates its own problems... But the classical has a really wide fretboard which has made the fingering easier, and being acoustic means I can actually hear it properly without plugging in (and therefore spending twenty minutes fucking about with effects and giving up). Still suck at finger picking, but I can do a decent strum.
Offline asdf  
#4657 Posted : 25 July 2010 07:12:30(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:

I know A, Am, D, E, G, and F.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Aj  
#4658 Posted : 25 July 2010 07:13:03(UTC)
Aj

Man

forkboy wrote:
Aj wrote:

Nah. See, What you've done is point out why the scientific method is so successful: it rejects what is disproven and embraces that which is either proven multiple times in controlled conditions or is at the least mathematically probable in the case of some theories. Theories that are proven to be wrong, like the Earth being the centre of the universe or the Earth being 6,000 or so years old have been disproven and so people have moved on and looked for new theories, worked on them until they are the most accepted possible explanation for whatever in the scientific community. Perhaps some day soon some theories we hold as correct will be proven to be partially (or maybe even completely wrong) such as Einstein's work corrected Newton's laws of gravity.

Meanwhile religion is based on thousands of year old dogma that is apparently completely unable to change and so ends up promoting harmful, backwards attitudes. Fuck that. Religion should not be given a free-pass, it needs to be challenged at every opportunity because it is on the whole a negative force upon society. It encourages blind obedience to your masters and equates knowledge with evil: better to be ignorant because that is GOOD. Fuck that. It's unhealthy, it's negative, and on top of everything else it is entirely opposed to human nature; we are inquistive beasts who crave knowledges.

Also you say I'm wasting my time but hey, people of religion spend lots of time prosetlysing to non-believers, and that clearly grabs them some converts or they would not do it, so why shouldn't I do it back at them and try to convince them to turn their backs on the dark of ignorance and servitude and into the light of inquiry, knowledge, learning and most importantly, thinking for yourself and challenging the status quo.

Fair enough, carry on :P

And to Gildermershina: I don't game on PC, only on 360 so they wouldn't have been much good to me anyway. I think I'll probably get it off my mate somehow.
Offline Aj  
#4659 Posted : 25 July 2010 07:14:32(UTC)
Aj

Man

Edit button wouldn't work.

In other news, I went to a houseparty last night - got incredibly drunk, caused two bitch fights, got with two best friends, broke another girls heart, was offered two threesums and HAD A THREE WAY KISSS <3

I love my life.
Offline TheGreemSim  
#4660 Posted : 25 July 2010 09:29:54(UTC)
TheGreemSim

At the end Of Red Dead Redemption you play as the main characters son.