logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2010 02:50:17(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Thunder Road frontman Brian Richards has been kind enough to individually explain each song which will feature on his band Thunder Roads debut album Great Expectations, He also played us an acoustic version of the first three songs on the album which I must say was a treat. There's a range of different kind of emotions in each songs and it's looking like it could be a special album from this still relatively unknown band, here's what he had to say.

1. I Could Never Stop The Rain
This song is about doing what it takes for love, It’s about doing everything you can do to make things work. But this once has a little bit of difference, because in the song I’m saying, I can only do what is possible, I can’t be who you want me to be, hence I could never stop the rain. I can try but I’m not going to be able to do that. So that’s the basic premise of the song, it’s kind of a love song but not the kind you would usually here. It’s more realistic.

2. The Sound Of Camden Town
The Sound Of Camden Town is my very own tribute to The Clash, It’s basically about how hearing The Clash for the first time really opened up my whole life, it was like, Ok now I have something to aim for and something to believe in, if I worked hard enough I could be doing what these guys are doing. I never really had any dreams until I heard The Clash for the first time and I thought I could do that, I’m not saying I can be as successful, but I can be in a band and have some sort of success.

3. I Was Once Your Hero
Again it’s kind of a reminiscent love song, It’s more of a story than the previous songs on the album. It’s about this guy maybe 16-17 years old and he has all of these dreams and he’s got this group of friends that worship him and he’s got this girl who is perfect. But the songs basically him looking back and thinking what have I become, I do a shitty, boring job and I’ve lost touch with everyone.
That’s where the title I Was Once Your Hero comes from, because now if he met his old friends or his girl he would seem like some washed up loser. It’s a song I’m quite proud of.

4. Here’s Johnny!
It’s a basic rock song, it has a 60’s rock feel to it. The lyrics and the image it sets sort of gives you a vision of the 60’s life. The song is basically about this guy, Johnny who is always at the big parties and almost everywhere, the drug scene and the whole party thing. It sort of continues in the story element of the previous song, he’s seen as the legendary party guy but behind closed doors, he’s not happy and ultimately kills himself.
It does have it’s dark elements.

5. Carpe Diem (Seize The Day)
This one is about just taking all the chances you can get while your still young, because before you know it your married with kids, living a very scheduled life. Basically it’s a case of don’t grow up too soon. A lot of songs I write are about not having any regrets and living up to your potential. It just sort of happens, I start writing and they always seem to end up having that kind of loser type of feel about it.

6. Cigarettes & Childish Regrets
Again it’s in a similar vain to a lot of songs I write, It’s another, “Don’t grow up too soon” type of song. Part of the imagery for this song is like, a leather clad 17-18 year old, greasy hair, a typical ride and the obvious type of girl by his side, cigarette hanging out his mouth and seen as the leader of the pack with his friends. That’s not the guy I was when I was that age but the guys in the band seem to think that the guy in this song is me. I’m not so sure.

7. Lights Go Low (On The Avenue)
It’s a more positive song from the album, It’s about a great night with a girl, Just a case of an awesome night just walking around the deserted streets and just talking and being with each other, I don’t know where the inspiration came from for this song because it’s relative to me personally but it just sort of became what it is over a period of about 4 months. I didn’t even notice that it was becoming the kind of song it turned out to be until it was finished and we performed it, and I listened back and thought, “Where the fuck did that song come from?”.

8. Brothers In Arms
It’s a song about two close friends who are fighting in a war together, and it’s sort of about the bond between those people when they’re together for such a long amount of time, they build a great friendship out of fear more than anything, because they don’t want to not have anyone looking out for them.
It takes a line from the Bruce Springsteen song This Hard Land. It goes “Just once kiss from you my brother and we’ll ride until we fall.” and I think that line best captures the bond between the two.

9. This Records All I Had
This song has some similarities to The Sound Of Camden Town, it’s about discovering that one record that changes your life, the one record which you have until the day you die, that record you listen to obsessively for the next 30+ years. For some people it’s an easy choice and for some it’s an impossible thing to find.

10. I Can’t Hold A Candle, For Every Pretty Girl
It’s about being on the road, when your touring it’s hard to create relationships with people you become friends with because the next day your in a new city and you’ve gotta get used to different people and different personalities. The title basically means, I couldn’t find a better person to be with but I’ve gotta go now and do my own thing, and the chances are I’ll never get to see you again. It’s heartbreaking to me, but it may not have the same affect on other people who will listen to it.

Edited by user 02 August 2010 02:59:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2010 03:28:41(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Daniel: I'll be looking to this album. Don't feel alone because I'm in the same road as you guys so you guys got my support! Marked my date for August 17th!

OOC: Nicely written, I like the summaries for each song :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2010 03:31:23(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Daniel: I'll be looking to this album. Don't feel alone because I'm in the same road as you guys so you guys got my support! Marked my date for August 17th!

OOC: Nicely written, I like the summaries for each song :)

Brian: Oh thanks man, I've really enjoyed what you've done so far, you've very creative.

OOC: Thanks.