logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Laurelles1  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:08:56(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
OOC: Props to C4AJoh, who made me have the will to start working on interviews again.

UserPostedImage

With Shattered Fairytale, Mind have now become cosmic. Behind the bands success? The hairy, nerdy, yet loveable figure known as Jason Smith. We ask him what's up.

Hello Jason! First off, can I say you look a little different today.

Heya and yeah, I do. I thought I’d better have a little haircut, so it can grow back into shape, rather than just going even more out of control than it was. It’s still pretty big though. It will grow back!

You recently released your Shattered Fairytale album with Mind and plan to go on many tours, with acts such as Black Gold Reign. How does this feel?

We’ve toured with BGR before and, as well as being great musicians, they are top notch dudes. This time it’s going to be slightly different however. As well as having the extremely talented Junkhead supporting us, we’ll have my little brother’s band, Dormant Fusion on board too. They’re cool as well. We’re trying to organise some more tours. Quite a while back, we were in talks with The Nimrods, although we don’t know quite yet what’s happening. We’ll get some more stuff done, and maybe I might go on a solo trek, once my whole album’s done.

Mind aren’t know to be a band to just sit and rest. Have you any more record plans at the moment? Also, any more updates on your solo album?

There may be a little covers album soon, I say little, we’ve got loads of covers done, but not much original material at the moment... a couple of cool riffs though. Working on one song called The Nights Shore which I quite like. No promises at the moment. As for my solo album, I have all the songs recorded in raw form. I just need to fuck about and experiment with the production and sound effects to make it sound the way that I want. I have a couple of songs finished and complete, like Zyzzyx and Terra Major, my two favourites from the album. I and Mind are trying to get a few collabs for our next album or my current album. It’ll all work in the end.

You are a keen producer as well as musician, anything lined up in that respect?

One or two. There are a few bands and artists I am, well not desperate, but pretty damn eager to work with. If there are any artists that want to get an album produced, don’t be shy to send a demo or whatever over to me. I have got one confirmed, but I’ll let them announce that, since I’m not sure if they’re keeping it a secret or not. I’ve got enough spare time, ha-ha! Unfortunately, most people still have this notion that I am rooted only in metal, but I am very open. I have done an album with Cristina Lake, and really enjoyed working on it. I like just adding many layers to songs, adding some atmospherics, while still keeping the original sound and making it clear. Working with Ryan Filkins was a good experience too. Producing is something that I will gladly do for the rest of my life. Although Mind will always be there, I can’t be expected to give energetic performances or such in about 40 years time. I’m only 24 at the moment, but I’ve already done a lot of work.

You have had 3 number ones on the Top 20 Airplay chart, the most ever so far. How does this feel?

Great! I’ve said it before many times, we have the greatest fans you could possibly imagine. I don’t know why, a lil’ ol’ metal band such as us, but something makes us appeal to them. It might be the hair. The haircut will test their strength as fans! I suppose The Aeronaut is one of the poppier songs we’ve done. It isn’t pop, but it has some aspects of that in the riff and the Electronica influences in it. That might be why Bludgeoned into Submission didn’t do quite as well as The Aeronaut. Fans don’t have to worry though, it isn’t going to change our style at all.

Speaking of that, any plans for a new single soon?

...Maybe! Ha-ha, we’re wondering whether to release Human? or Necropolis. The only problem is that the first would be extremely hard to play and the second would be too basic, if you know what I mean. We want to give our fans a chance to decide this. It’s hard, because I really like Human? We could release a totally different song, but that may alienate the fans a little.

There has been some controversy over an incident with recently deceased rapper Yung Deez. What have you to say on the matter?

I had nothing to do with the shooting and neither did Eric [Quillington] or Aaron [Del Petro]. We were just caught up in the scene. We've cleared our names now though.

Who would you class as influences for Mind?

There are way too many to mention. The Nimrods, Quarantine, Blood of Wecz, Niles Fear... as well as Strapping Young Lad and a nice dose of Opeth and Cynic to go with it. I think our main goal for Mind is to influence other bands. Fuck the money. Fuck the fame. I’d give it all up to just know that people are listening to us and enjoying themselves.

Who are your favourite bands/ artists at the moment?

Yet again, there are loads, most of them that I will probably forget to mention. But I’ll give it a go. Black Gold Reign, Reckoner, Infinite, Quarantine; I enjoy a bit of Hellspawn too... I can’t forget The Nimrods, The Harlots, Jakey Comatose and Stacey Walton. They are all brilliant and so are many more, but it would take me hours to list them all.

Most of your albums have concepts to them. Is there a reason for this?

Mind are like minstrels; we love telling stories. It also helps with writing and brings more fun back to it. I may be making a graphic novel of The Juggernaut and The Aeronaut soon. It depends whether I have the drive in the future to commit to making music, touring AND writing comics. Comic reading has always been a secret pleasure of mine.

Okay, a few random questions now about your personal life. What is your favourite song, favourite hobby and favourite TV show?

Righty-ho then. My fave song at the moment is probably either Consequence by Strapping Young lad, a song that I have loved for ages, or Where the Road Parts by The Dear Hunter, because of the brilliant production standard and musicianship... amazing. My favourite hobby... that’s a hard one. Probably Sudoku, I’m boring like that. My favourite TV show is, and always will be, Blackadder. Absolutely stellar stuff. Not one bad episode.

Tea or coffee?

Tea.

Cats or dogs?

Depends what breed. I’m scared shitless of big dogs, but love little ones.

Money or fame?

Both.

And finally... is the great man known as Jason Smith single?

Yeah, just recently... I’m not looking at the minute though, so I apologise to all the ladies out there, ha-ha!

Thank you very much for coming out here.

No, thank you.

Jason will now perform an acoustic version of Minds hit song The Aeronaut for your pleasure. Enjoy!
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:16:26(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
Stacey: That was a great interview, I was pretty suprised to see my name on that list of your favourite artists so thank you, I'm loving Mind as are most people. I'm looking for a producer for my debut album to work alongside Danny Allen and I liked what you brought to Cristina's album so if your interested I'd love to meet up with you to throw some ideas around if your up for it.

OOC: You did a really good job on this as you do with all of your roleplays.
Offline Laurelles1  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:19:04(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Jason: I'd love to produce your album. You're one of those artists I was mentioning that I wanted to produce! It'd be great.
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:21:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8676 time(s) in 2722 post(s)
Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: I'd love to produce your album. You're one of those artists I was mentioning that I wanted to produce! It'd be great.

Stacey: Thanks man, I'm in California at the moment but I'm thinking about returning to the UK to record the album so I'll let you know where I'll be recording it once I've decided on a location.
Offline troy211619  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:25:53(UTC)
troy211619

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Jason Smith for President? Yes!
-A Jason Smith Fan
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Laurelles1  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2010 04:26:55(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Jason: This man speaks the truth!
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2010 05:21:53(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
It's incredible just how much your music has matured. Shattered Fairytale is lightyears away from Free Your Mind, and it's so obvious that Mind is now one of the most talented and respected bands on the planet. You guys deserve all the number ones that you've gotten, and I'm flattered that a band like you would include Infinite as one of your favorite bands.

(I'm so glad that controversy with Yung Deez didn't land us a spot in jail....)

-Eric Quillington

OOC: hahaha... President Jason Smith FTW!
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline Laurelles1  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2010 05:27:04(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Jason: Shattered Fairytale and FYM were both written with a different mindset. When we released the latter, we didn't know what we were doing and thought "LOUD AND NOISY IS GUD". I still love it with all my heart, but for me, Shattered Fairytale is the album we wanted to get out of us. Infinite deserve to be huge as well, you guys are one of the best bands out there.
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline SaintsHolocaust Metal  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2010 05:50:43(UTC)
SaintsHolocaust Metal

I Fucking Love Mind! You're a Great Band!

Danny Ownens (Vocalist For Avalon)
Avalon || Power Metal
"Call of the Dead" - New Single Peaked #2 in the UK!
"Keepers of the Otherworld" - Debut Album Peaked #1 in the UK!

Saints Holocaust || Heavy Metal
"The Inner Circle" - New Album Praked #1 in the World Album Charts!
"What You See" - New Single Peaked at #1 in the World Single Charts!
"Nations in Fear - Live Around the World" - First Live Album Peaked #1 in the World Album Charts!
Offline Laurelles1  
#10 Posted : 15 August 2010 05:52:45(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Jason: Thank you, my friend!
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Birdies:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Hellspawn  
#11 Posted : 15 August 2010 06:28:32(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

Was thanked: 212 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Tim: First, I Love Very much your music Guys, and Jason is one of the Best Musicians on these days!

Laurelles1 wrote:
Who are your favourite bands/ artists at the moment?

Yet again, there are loads, most of them that I will probably forget to mention. But I’ll give it a go. Black Gold Reign, Reckoner, Infinite, Quarantine; I enjoy a bit of Hellspawn too... I can’t forget The Nimrods, The Harlots, Jakey Comatose and Stacey Walton. They are all brilliant and so are many more, but it would take me hours to list them all.

David: I Think I Will die, Jason like Hellspawn? Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

OOC: Very good RP!
Offline Synxhard  
#12 Posted : 15 August 2010 08:13:24(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
God yes, this man here knows what's going on! Great to see you keeping all of the Mind fanatics out there (me included, haha) posted on what's going on. Tour's kicking ass, lets keep the good times going, eh?

-Scott Trevors
Black Gold Reign

OOC: Very nice job man, top notch rp. Gotta say, I'm liking the Nile's Fear mention, not man people really remember them, haha. Anyways, between you, C4AJoh and Infinite, I'm really hyped up to do an interview or two, once again, great job. Cheers!