logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2015 04:55:15(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
TITLE: Know Too Much
ARTIST: Zane Sharp
WRITERS: Zane Sharp
LENGTH: 4:53
GENRE: Indie rock, indie pop
PRODUCER: Zane Sharp, Lori Clayton
LABEL: Independent
RELEASED: May 4th, 2015
From the Album: TBA

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have," Zane Sharp quoted Maya Angelou in his senior year book almost ten years ago. And while nobody should ever be held to the opinions they had and shared when they were in high school, it's easy to see that Zane still holds these words to be true. The Long Beach resident with the soulful folk voice of a country livin' boy turned townie isn't that well-known yet, but he's sure to be the next force joining the indie folk rock wave soon. And why not? With his mysterious look, yet all-too-revealing lyrics, the young man is sure to be drawing attention to himself very quickly.

Every star had to start off with a debut song, and Zane's debut is entitled "Know Too Much," the musical story of a man feigning ignorance as his girlfriend cheats on him at college. Was it a true story? Probably in a way. Throughout the song, there's a lot of bitterness and anger - not only towards the girlfriend in question, but always towards himself as he openly makes fun of himself for accepting the way that his girlfriend is treating him. He portrays himself as the "fool in love" archetype throughout the song, ignoring the obvious signs that his girlfriend is cheating on him, because - as he says in the first line - loving her made him blind. He seems not only bitter towards her, but also slightly against the college that she's going to, since he seems to feel that she never would have cheated on him had she not gone away to college, or been around the people there that he feels have influenced her to act this way. While is this probably not true, and the woman was potentially going to cheat on him whether she was going away to college or not, it's easier for the victim of cheating to blame outside sources rather than the person themselves - especially if they still seem to love that person, as Zane does at the time of the song. Not only does it seem that his girlfriend is cheating on him, but Zane also mentions that she's picked up a bit of a coke problem as well - something else that he surely blames on the college rather than the girlfriend. This isn't to say that Zane doesn't appear to be angry with his girlfriend throughout the song - as he definitely does - but he mostly appears to be focusing on how his girlfriend is acting according to her surroundings (college), which implies that he's blaming most of these problems on it.

With all these problems that Zane is experiencing that he's just listed off in only the first two verses of the song, the listener can assume that he's broken up with his girlfriend, but it's revealed at the beginning of the chorus that he absolutely has not, and he's choosing to stand by her despite the obviously horrible ways that she's attempting to deceive him. Zane tells his girlfriend in the chorus that she "knows too much," which could be any number on things: 1.) that the education that she's receiving at this college is going far beyond academic learning, and now she's having experiences that are not conducive with a woman who has a steady boyfriend, or 2.) he is just telling her that she knows too much as a weak ploy to get her to leave the college that she's attending, in the hopes that whose she leaves, then her behavior will change. Zane proclaims that she can now use their hearts as tools to get what she wants, and has learned how to fake pain and love. He asks her, very snarkily, if she learned how to do those things at the school she's attending. Despite all of this anger and bitterness he's obviously showing towards this woman, he again shows the listener that he doesn't have any intentions on leaving her yet, proclaiming that he'll keep sitting next to her, happily singing, "La-di-da-di-da." This singing pattern at the end of the chorus is reminiscent of the way children sing, who are stereotypically the most innocent and carefree beings on earth. It is difficult to feel pity towards Zane in this song, and he is openly choosing to not acknowledge his girlfriend's behavior, and is choosing to live with the anger and bitterness he feels towards her.

In the next verse, Zane jumps right back into patronizing his girlfriend, asking her who she had to perform sex acts on to get the grades that she had, heavily implying that he doesn't think his girlfriend is smart enough to achieve straight A's on her own. In the next line, he talks about the future that she has planned for herself after college, which includes a career and a husband "if [she finds] the time." The way this line is sung again heavily implies that he both doesn't think that she'll achieve either of these, and if she does achieve either of them, he won't be the husband that she goes after. He paints a picture of her showing up to her final exam drunk, and not being able to understand the instructions that are in front of her, both because she's drunk, and also possibly because Zane feels that she's too unintelligent to understand the instructions. When she fails her exam, he again patronizes her, seeming to make fun of her for not being able to seduce her way into a better grade because that particular professor is a straight woman.

In the bridge of the song, he talks about the way she portrays herself on social media, telling her that her profile picture on Facebook makes her look like a prostitute or hooker on the streets. He also reveals that she's planning on transferring to a different school the next semester - for reasons unknown to the listener, but there could be several, as Zane has sung about many possibilities throughout the song - and sarcastically hopes for her girlfriend that the professors at the next college will be more attractive than the ones at her old one were. He finishes the song with the chorus again, letting his childish singing pattern at the end to go on for a little longer than normal, the desperate emotion in his voice growing as he begins to realize that he can't ignore the way that she's acting forever. The song ends with an chaotic instrumental outro, featuring mostly marching band-style instrumentation as the song comes to a sudden - but well-planned - finish.

Loving you made me blind
You and your liberal arts educated mind
Keeping yourself perfectly groomed
With all the traffic going through your little dorm room

Do you think your father knows
Half of the money he send goes right up your nose?
You say studying made you late
But we both know
You're lying, and I'll just have to wait

I'll just keep standing by you...

Honey, you know so much
You've used our hearts like they were tools
You can fake pain and love
Did they teach you how to at school, at school?
But I'll sit with you, singing happily,
"La-di-da-di-da"

Three semesters of straight A's
And just who did you blow to get those kinds of grades?
You have graduate school on your mind
With a career and a husband, if you find the time

Drunk for the final exam
Reading directions you don't even understand
You can't even take it again
Can't use your tits when
Your professor's a straight woman

Honey, you know so much
"La-di-da-di-da-didi-didi-da
La-di-da-di-da-didi-didi-da"

Facebook profile pics
Of you looking like you're on the street, turning tricks
You'll transfer next semester
Hopefully there they'll have better looking professors

Honey, you know so much
"La-di-da-di-da-didi-didi-da
La-di-da-di-da-didi-didi-da"

La-di-da-di-da-didi-didi-da

SOUNDS LIKE:
The Decemberists - 16 Military Wives

thanks 12 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
Welat65 on 05/05/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 05/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 05/05/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 05/05/2015(UTC), erich hess on 05/05/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 05/05/2015(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 06/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/05/2015(UTC), DistortedAudio on 10/05/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 31/05/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 08/06/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 10/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2015 06:26:21(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: "Can't use your tits when / Your professor's a straight woman" got me in the feels, like... I've been there, why'd you think I dropped out? I'm joking, I swear!! :( But hello to you, very promising fellow newbie! This is such a (I hate this word, but it's kinda accurate) quirky song in the best ways possible, sprinkled with some hard-hitting SASS. Lots of emotion, but it's not your typical boohoo-piano-ballad, it's super fun and I was totally jamming along to this. Go you!

OOC: Looove the lyrics. =)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2015 14:53:40(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Clara: pfft College girls? A handsome folk star like you should be able to do better as soon as this song hits radio. And it seems like she's not that in to you so maybe that's for the best. But hey you dont even know me so dont take my relationship advice. hahhaha. sorry. I really am digging the song though. I hope you come out with more soon!

OOC: The Decemberists are awesome! I just saw them last week. :) And I love these lyrics they tell a great story and the way you explain and analyze that story in the description is nicely done too.

Edited by user 06 May 2015 15:04:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline snap_itshannah  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2015 12:59:06(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Valentina: "Can't use your tits when / Your professor's a straight woman" got me in the feels, like... I've been there, why'd you think I dropped out? I'm joking, I swear!! :( But hello to you, very promising fellow newbie! This is such a (I hate this word, but it's kinda accurate) quirky song in the best ways possible, sprinkled with some hard-hitting SASS. Lots of emotion, but it's not your typical boohoo-piano-ballad, it's super fun and I was totally jamming along to this. Go you!

OOC: Looove the lyrics. =)

Zane: Thank you, Valentina. I'll give the song the label of "quirky" with pride, although it's not a word I'm much of a fan of myself. Good luck with the college thing. Thank you again.

OOC: Thanks so much! :)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2015 13:04:40(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Clara: pfft College girls? A handsome folk star like you should be able to do better as soon as this song hits radio. And it seems like she's not that in to you so maybe that's for the best. But hey you dont even know me so dont take my relationship advice. hahhaha. sorry. I really am digging the song though. I hope you come out with more soon!

OOC: The Decemberists are awesome! I just saw them last week. :) And I love these lyrics they tell a great story and the way you explain and analyze that story in the description is nicely done too.

Zane: Oh, perhaps you're right, Clara. I'll try to take the minute sense of fame I'm gathering from this and turn it into the affections of a more mature woman. Thank you very much, Clara. I hope I'm able to come out with more soon as well.

OOC: Ugh, so jealous. I've heard The Decemberists are absolutely amazing live. Thank you so much!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2015 03:35:16(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: We're Alone
ARTIST: Zane Sharp
WRITERS: Zane Sharp, Sonja Montgomery
LENGTH: 3:11
GENRE: Alternative rock, indie rock, indie pop
PRODUCER: Zane Sharp
LABEL: Independent
RELEASED: June 6th, 2015
From the Album: TBA

After only a month since Zane Sharp released his first song on his website (zanesharp.com - very creative name), catching the attention of many big names and landing himself in the Top 20 charts, both Airplay and Digital, Zane is back at it, releasing his second song - "We're Alone." Already it's obvious that, although the young man still doesn't have a label, he is getting more attention than before, as evidence by the co-writing credit that Sonja Montgomery has on the song - Sonja is best known for writing Cherry Street's newest single "Living In Your Mind" with her twin sister, Luna Montgomery. After "Living In Your Mind"'s success, they continued to write music for not only their own upcoming musical act, but also for singers of the indie genre.

Although the song isn't completely written just by himself, Zane still makes "We're Alone" just as emotional - if not more emotional - than "Know Too Much," seeming to begin to make his indie acoustic delivery his trademark in the music world. The song starts with a heavy, echoing guitar chord, permenating the silence that came before the song. The sound is jarring enough to make the beginning of the song seem almost a little uncomfortable, but Zane's voice comes in - patient and controlled - and gives juxtaposition to the sudden guitar, making it even out. As Zane sings, a piano joins him, playing a note on the beat of each line of lyrics. The piano gives a tempo in a song that was free-flowing before. In the first verse, Zane sings directly to the woman the song is about, narrating the kind of love life that they have. He is obviously deeply in love with her, and apparently she at least kind of loves him as well, but she is with somebody else and, for some reason, can't leave that person. Although Zane and this woman aren't really together, everybody knows what they have (except for the woman's signficant other), so that makes their secret relationship all the more complicated. He wants to ask her if they'll ever be able to drop the charade of just being friends and actually be able to be open with their relationship, but he knows that he can't ask questions like that because it'll only scare her away. With all the complexities of their relationship and anxiety over the people around them, Zane sounds absolutely relieved as he sings the final line, "For now, we are alone."

The second verse - one much shorter than the second - speaks directly about them being alone together. Without anybody around, the woman can wear Zane's coat, and they can pretend to be a normal couple together. Zane says that he hopes that one day she'll be able to wear it freely in public, although it can be assumed that he doesn't say that out loud to the woman, as it was stated that any kind of mention of them being a real couple together might scare her off. He references the actual song, singing that he hopes it'll be the key to get the woman to leave her boyfriend and be with him. But, for now, they are alone. In the chorus, Zane basks in being alone with this woman for a little bit, but knows that they won't be alone for long. "The sun will reappear / You'll go with him, my dear," he sings, referencing not only the fact that they sneak away in the night to be together, so that when the sun rises again, she'll have to leave - but also the fact that he's calling her real boyfriend "the sun," because he is what her world revolves around. In keeping with the second metaphor, Zane states that when "the sun" appears, he won't try to fight for her, because he knows that he'll only burn, meaning that there's no way for him to win again her boyfriend until she leaves him. But again, for now, they don't need to think about all of that because they're alone.

The third verse is a shorter one again, with Zane singing in almost a pleading voice to the woman he loves. He sings that he hopes when she thinks about love, she thinks only about him, and that she smiles and feels free when she's with him. He finishes the verse by letting him know that he will wait for her, and that he'll always be her's, even when she isn't his. The chorus repeats twice, bringing the song to a close, leaving most listeners with a lingering feeling that Zane is either being taken advantage of, or that Zane is just a wild romantic that is getting what he deserves by falling in love with another man's girlfriend.

I held your hand tight
Swore I'd never let go
You don't belong to me
But everyone knows
Can we take off these masks?
Those questions we don't ask
For now, we are alone

You shiver so lightly in the arms of my coat
One day you'll wear it freely, that is my hope
This song is the key that will bring you to me
For now, we are alone

We're alone, we're alone
But we won't be for long
The sun will appear
You'll go with him, my dear
I won't try to fight him
Because I'll only burn
For now, we are alone

I hope when you think of love, you think of me
I hope you smile, and you feel free
But until you are mine, know that I am still yours to keep
For now, we are alone

We're alone, we're alone
But we won't be for long
The sun will appear
I won't try to fight him
Because I'll only burn
For now, we are alone

We're alone, we're alone
But we won't be for long
The sun will appear
I won't try to fight him
Because I'll only burn
For now, we are alone
For now, we are alone

SOUNDS LIKE:
Death Cab for Cutie - Someday You Will Be Loved

Edited by user 07 June 2015 03:36:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 07/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 07/06/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 07/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 07/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 07/06/2015(UTC), mebeme101 on 07/06/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 08/06/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 10/06/2015(UTC), kandii on 21/06/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2015 21:25:00(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19294 time(s) in 7679 post(s)
Michelle: I think that this is such a beautiful song, Zane. Very heartfelt and a little upsetting listening to it but that's the purpose of such a song. I was really pulled into the story and for the three minutes and eleven seconds, I was rooting for you and hoping that the lovely lady would finally be able to wear your coat in public. It's a really interesting song and I'm a sucker for a love story, especially such a complex one with a twist. Definitely going to be playing this for a long time yet. Wonderful work :)
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Offline snap_itshannah  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2015 02:09:45(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Michelle: I think that this is such a beautiful song, Zane. Very heartfelt and a little upsetting listening to it but that's the purpose of such a song. I was really pulled into the story and for the three minutes and eleven seconds, I was rooting for you and hoping that the lovely lady would finally be able to wear your coat in public. It's a really interesting song and I'm a sucker for a love story, especially such a complex one with a twist. Definitely going to be playing this for a long time yet. Wonderful work :)

Zane: Thank you very much, Michelle. It was a difficult song to write and play, because of all the emotion that went into the experience that it's based on - spoiler alert: she never left her boyfriend - but I'm a sucker for a love story as well, and that's what it truly was, at the heart of it. Thank you very much again. You're very sweet.
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/06/2015(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2015 10:56:42(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Michael: Man first I wanna say I've had this on repeat since it started streaming and it's dope anyway these kind of songs are one of the hardest to write let alone perform and put out to the public so I respect you so much for having that courage also the lyrics to this song are definitely better than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio so great job on this track man excited to see what comes next also the fact that you're reppin for us independent artists great job here

ooc: Amazing job on everything really loved the lyrics and the description :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
Offline GirlSpice  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2015 04:16:42(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Valentina: "But until you are mine, know that I am still yours to keep / For now, we are alone" brb while I weep. You are sooo my favourite new artist around right now, your lyrics are truly interesting and have a real meaningful story behind them, which I think is rare to find. Both your songs have managed to evoke a strong emotion within me and I think that just shows how truly talented you are as a songwriter. Bravo! =)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline snap_itshannah  
#11 Posted : 13 June 2015 06:00:58(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Michael: Man first I wanna say I've had this on repeat since it started streaming and it's dope anyway these kind of songs are one of the hardest to write let alone perform and put out to the public so I respect you so much for having that courage also the lyrics to this song are definitely better than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio so great job on this track man excited to see what comes next also the fact that you're reppin for us independent artists great job here

ooc: Amazing job on everything really loved the lyrics and the description :)

Zane: Thank you. It was a difficult song to write, but I think that if the song doesn't bring out some emotions in you, then it's not really worth writing and performing. You're very kind, I hope I'm doing our clan of independent artists proud, hahah. Thank you again, Michael!

OOC: Thank you so much! I'm so sorry it took me forever to respond, I thought I already had because I'm terrible, thank you!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#12 Posted : 13 June 2015 06:04:13(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Valentina: "But until you are mine, know that I am still yours to keep / For now, we are alone" brb while I weep. You are sooo my favourite new artist around right now, your lyrics are truly interesting and have a real meaningful story behind them, which I think is rare to find. Both your songs have managed to evoke a strong emotion within me and I think that just shows how truly talented you are as a songwriter. Bravo! =)

Zane: It's very encouraging to hear such sweet things from a star such as yourself, Valentina, thank you. Especially now, as I'm just starting out, I try to make sure that all of my songs are telling stories about me as a person. I want people to know me from my music more than they could from anything I could ever say or tell them. Thank you again!

OOC: So sorry it took me so long to respond, I'm terrible and thought I already had. Thank you!
Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2015 04:35:43(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Brandon Caulfield: Hey man! I haven't really had much of a chance to say that I'm really enjoying the first few things that I've heard from you, it's very impressive and I'm really enjoying hearing a little more alternative rock these days. Between you, Sam Thatcher and Henry Johanson, I think things are looking very promising. I'm really loving the emotion conveyed in "We're Alone", I'm a fan and I'll be looking out for more of your stuff. Who knows? Maybe our paths will cross sometime. Keep at it, man!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2015 07:20:03(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Brandon Caulfield: Hey man! I haven't really had much of a chance to say that I'm really enjoying the first few things that I've heard from you, it's very impressive and I'm really enjoying hearing a little more alternative rock these days. Between you, Sam Thatcher and Henry Johanson, I think things are looking very promising. I'm really loving the emotion conveyed in "We're Alone", I'm a fan and I'll be looking out for more of your stuff. Who knows? Maybe our paths will cross sometime. Keep at it, man!

Zane: Thanks a lot, Brandon. That really means something, coming from you. I'm hoping that soon there will be a rise in our genre. Mr. Thatcher and Mr. Johanson, definitely, have done a great job getting that rise started, but now it's time to "bring it home," so to speak. I hope our paths will cross, thank you again.