logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2015 06:16:18(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Valentina Hart returns with her third single release, which will lead into the release of her debut album Too True to Be Good on June 22, available through Songs to Love and Die By. "Purify" follows the number one hits "Pantomime" and "Bruised", making Valentina the only female artist of 2015 to achieve two consecutive number ones on the airplay charts. The Chaos Awards nominated newcomer also kicks off her debut tour in support of her album next week, which wraps up with a show at Manhattan's iconic Bowery Ballroom in July. Hart has plans to extend the tour overseas later in the year, thanks to the incredible reception her two singles received around the world, helping Valentina to establish a small, but incredibly supportive fan base so early on in her career.

The song itself brings listeners back to the sheer energy first heard on Val's debut, with a lot more thrown into the mix. The final product equals a meaningful, incredibly memorable release from the young songstress that already shows how her talents in both singing and songwriting have improved from the months between the recording of "Pantomime" and "Purify", hinting at a bright future in music for Hart. The track is a punchy upbeat synth-pop number which features bold lyrics from the 22-year-old where she battles between her own contrasting thoughts of longing to meet someone else's standards, then admitting to herself that she's unable to be someone she's not in the track's chorus. This ends up becoming the main reason of the relationship breaking down as she later sings in the song "Cause nothing else is in sight / But your judgement / Your expectations / And your fading shadow" which hints that a large majority of the track is sung sarcastically and Val was never so willing to change for someone in the first place.

"It's a sassy, sarcastic song in a lot of ways. You hear the song from one perspective and you think it's this really weak, submissive tale of a girl who hates herself for not being everything this guy wants her to be. Then you come at it from another view and really listen to some of the other lyrics and it's me just poking fun at the situation, refusing to change and proudly dancing to the beat of my own drum. So in the end I'm just like... boy, bye," Val laughs. "I think we can all sometimes feel tainted by obsessing over our own flaws, especially when mean people say stuff about our looks or personalities, it can hurt, especially when you're young. So the way I came at the creation of the song was like, okay, I'm pretty much dirt to you. So I'll let you try to cleanse me, wash away everything you hate about me, try and make all my supposed wrongs right, I dare ya. The 'fading shadow' line is like the big secret in the song that reveals that I never allowed him to do that, cuz I rock. Happy endings are cool."

"Purify"

I'm set in stone, no, there ain't no way
Ain't no way that I could ever change
You don't like the way I'm painted
Tell me I'm ruined and tainted
Well I'm no saint, it's how I'm created
But I'll let you try to rectify me
I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

My body, a blank canvas
Now toss me into the madness
Shame my broken laws, pick apart my flaws
Just for your applause
You claw away till I lay vulnerable and naked
Now I'm in an empty frame of self hatred
Hung up on display
To your dismay

You look at me like I'm covered in sin
Impurities crawling over my skin
Maybe I'm just a little too real
I didn't wake up like this
But I thought you knew what you were gettin' with

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

I let you play God and change me up once more
Into a perfect companion for a champion
I'm jumpin' up, up, up to your standards
But gravity won't pull me back to where I was
Used to be so down, down, down to earth
Now I live in your world with my head in the clouds
I see you're no angel, just a stranger
With deceiving schemes, just like a traitor

Now you look at me like I'm not good enough
Well who are you to judge?
Maybe I'm not what you want
And you're not what I need
I'm always dancing to a different beat
It's the sound of my own drum and not your song

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

Impossible heights that I'm never reaching
But I keep on trying like a fool
Oh how you've left me puzzled
Cause nothing else is in sight
But your judgement
Your expectations
And your fading shadow

I'll bathe in your sea
And you can purify me

UserPostedImage

Its accompanying music video tells the story of a pure, all-white Valentina that becomes caught up in a battle with a chasing darkness that's tainting her purity, caused by a guy who corrupts her from their encounter. Unlike the song that makes us believe Val is the problem, the video demonstrates otherwise and shows that her partner is the real issue, leaving her no other choice but to run. Although later on in the video, we see she's left with no other choice but to confront the darkness with great struggle until she's able to return to who she once was.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

The video opens with a birds eye view of a large, beautiful field which is used to only emphasise Val's pure, untainted character at the beginning of the video. We see her awaken in the field, wearing a white dress. She rubs over her eyes, leaning up to find a rabbit next to her in the grass. She smiles and kisses it, highlighting her innocence.

The rabbit eventually runs off and her eyes follow its direction, her attention caught by a man standing in the distance who wears a red cape around him, the bright colour perhaps a warning sign of his danger.

Her curiosity gets the better of her, almost a forbidden apple situation, and she goes after the man. The following scene shows them dancing together as Val becomes entangled in his cape, signalling her purity slowing being stripped from her.

The cape covers the camera for a second and we see Val appear from behind it, now wearing all black to display who she's become after their encounter. She now wears the cape instead, while he stands shirtless in front of her, before suddenly running off into the distance, leaving her corrupted.

Val turns her head and watches him continue to run, another shot is shown and he's run away so far from her that he's barely seen on screen. She runs through the field with the cape blowing wildly in the wind, her body language and facial expresses extremely different to the start of the video, a lot more angry and untamed while she passionately sings the chorus.

After the chorus is sung, rain unexpectedly begins to pour down and we see Val's body slowly turn to water. In between this scene are sudden, dramatic shots of Val's head pushed under water as she desperately tries to come up for air, though it's not seen who is pushing her under.

A confused, scared Valentina looks out over a lake and watches a dark figure rise from the water. She turns and frantically runs in the opposite direction as a dramatic chase scene follows. She desperately runs into a forest, however violent winds blow her cape up into the trees as it ties around the branches, causing her to fall helplessly to the ground.

The climax of the video follows and we see the dark figure slowly draw closer to Valentina. In a last attempt, she picks up a large branch that lays next to her and strikes the figure with it, then forcefully tugs her body forward, breaking free from the cape. She quickly rises to her feet and rushes out of the forest as a portal appears in the distance, which she runs towards. The final scene we see is of Valentina stepping into it.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 11 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 04/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 04/06/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 04/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 04/06/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 04/06/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 06/06/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 06/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 08/06/2015(UTC), kandii on 10/06/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2015 16:16:41(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Another excellent release by Valentina. I love how consistent you have been with her, as you are with each of your characters during their respective eras. What's compelling is how you make them each so different, unique and distinct. Purify is a unique song too, it's not your cookie cutter relationship record too, it has that sassy " I am who I am" spin to it and I happen to always love songs like those. Nice job as always. The video is also really cool and alittle scary, I like the story line that you made for it!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 05/06/2015(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2015 00:25:17(UTC)
mebeme101

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Layla: This song is incredible and the video is no exception it's like a wild ride and you looked so beautiful in it as always bb and as always your vocals are on point I don't think they could ever really be off point bc you're Valentina Hart and the lyrical genius and vocal queen of my life and speaking of lyrics these are amazing as always you're literally my favorite person rn omg I cannot stop watching the video like it has gotten to the point where I can act out every scene and in the beginning I cannot decide who is cuter you or the bunny omg great job on this bb

ooc: I have no idea how you manage to make each character and song unique like Jaime said but you really do like I'd honestly love to just take whatever it is that makes you write these great lyrics and RP's and just keep it for at least a day lol great job here as always :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 05/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2015 01:36:33(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Another excellent release by Valentina. I love how consistent you have been with her, as you are with each of your characters during their respective eras. What's compelling is how you make them each so different, unique and distinct. Purify is a unique song too, it's not your cookie cutter relationship record too, it has that sassy " I am who I am" spin to it and I happen to always love songs like those. Nice job as always. The video is also really cool and alittle scary, I like the story line that you made for it!

OOC: Thank you, Jaime. :) Consistency is what I've been aiming for with her, so I'm pleased you think so.

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Layla: This song is incredible and the video is no exception it's like a wild ride and you looked so beautiful in it as always bb and as always your vocals are on point I don't think they could ever really be off point bc you're Valentina Hart and the lyrical genius and vocal queen of my life and speaking of lyrics these are amazing as always you're literally my favorite person rn omg I cannot stop watching the video like it has gotten to the point where I can act out every scene and in the beginning I cannot decide who is cuter you or the bunny omg great job on this bb

ooc: I have no idea how you manage to make each character and song unique like Jaime said but you really do like I'd honestly love to just take whatever it is that makes you write these great lyrics and RP's and just keep it for at least a day lol great job here as always :)

Valentina: Omg my girlfriend my wife my everything haaay boo <3 thanks for being sweet as pie as always, YOU are my number one so I hope you feel the love in return heheh. As long as you like it then no one else matters tbh.

OOC: Omg so sweet hahah maybe TRSG can do a swap week and I can steal Layla. :p Ty!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline genocidal king  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2015 01:40:10(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Kellin: Your philosophy is top class, to be honest. It's easy to say "don't care what anyone says", and "be yourself", and while those are true, sometimes we forget that it can hurt when people say negative things. Again, a wonderful song. Your sass game is just bowling everyone else over, and you really have something that I think other people are failing to grasp in pop - not taking every last thing too seriously. It shines through and amazingly gives your music a more organic and authentic feel as well. Also, I love your face when you see that rabbit in the video. Amazing :P Top song, Val. Top song.

OOC: Like others have said, whenever you bring out a new character, they always seem to have something new and feel so layered and deep. Takes skill, that. Love your lyrics, as always :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 06/06/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2015 02:06:47(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: I'd thumb wrestle a gorilla if it had a negative opinion of val.especially after such a great video.even the camera loves her.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 06/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2015 03:19:24(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Kellin: Your philosophy is top class, to be honest. It's easy to say "don't care what anyone says", and "be yourself", and while those are true, sometimes we forget that it can hurt when people say negative things. Again, a wonderful song. Your sass game is just bowling everyone else over, and you really have something that I think other people are failing to grasp in pop - not taking every last thing too seriously. It shines through and amazingly gives your music a more organic and authentic feel as well. Also, I love your face when you see that rabbit in the video. Amazing :P Top song, Val. Top song.

OOC: Like others have said, whenever you bring out a new character, they always seem to have something new and feel so layered and deep. Takes skill, that. Love your lyrics, as always :)

Valentina: Right? I'm glad you understood that, you handsome lil genius. Gotta keep my sass game strong at all times dude, it's dangerous out here if you leave your guard down heheh. It was a very genuine reaction I hadn't see the rabbit before and it was pretty damn adorable and I was like woooooah! Cuteness! Thanks. :)

OOC: Tyvm! I try to make all mine different, so glad you think so. =)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: I'd thumb wrestle a gorilla if it had a negative opinion of val.especially after such a great video.even the camera loves her.

Valentina: Gosh darn it, Erica! Stahp. being. so. cute. And keep on butterin me up baby cuz I love butter and I luh you. :))
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
erich hess on 07/06/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2015 21:46:50(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19294 time(s) in 7679 post(s)
Scott: I do love a good sarcastic song. It's rare to find one nowadays and it's even harder to find a great one, one filled with such a bite to it. It's easy to fall into the "corny" territory when you're trying to be "sassy" on a track but you manage to pull it off perfectly while actually constructing a song with a great story and wonderful lyrics too. It's not just a middle finger to someone trying to change you (we can all take to social media for that), it's also a brilliant song and dare I say...my favourite from you so far? Great work and I can't wait for the album to drop!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 10/06/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2015 03:39:33(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Scott: I do love a good sarcastic song. It's rare to find one nowadays and it's even harder to find a great one, one filled with such a bite to it. It's easy to fall into the "corny" territory when you're trying to be "sassy" on a track but you manage to pull it off perfectly while actually constructing a song with a great story and wonderful lyrics too. It's not just a middle finger to someone trying to change you (we can all take to social media for that), it's also a brilliant song and dare I say...my favourite from you so far? Great work and I can't wait for the album to drop!

Valentina: Hi again, you! I kinda feel like you've taken me under your wing unofficially since you helped me get this far just by noticing me, so thankyouthankyouthankyou times a million. I'm super glad you like it, it'd suck to peak in my career with my first song, so phew *wipes imaginary sweat from forehead* I'm glad you like it heheh.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 10/06/2015(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#10 Posted : 11 June 2015 13:08:48(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: That's it, you're absolutely my favorite new artist this year. I can't get enough of you and it seems that the rest of the world can't either. Your songs are some of the best songs I've ever heard, no lie. The song and the video are something I'd expect from a veteran in the industry but you're blowing us all out of the water haha, but I love it so I'm glad :) Maybe one day our paths will cross! And I can't wait for the album.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 12/06/2015(UTC)