logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Famouss7x7  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2015 00:03:59(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)

UserPostedImage

Title: Hickies & Scratches
Length: 3:50
Genre: R&B, pop
Songwriters: A.Mikkel, D.Wright, A.Birgisson
Producers: Arnthor Birgisson

World Premiere Date: September 23rd, 2015
Digital Release Date: September 27th, 2015
Airplay Release Date: September 27th, 2015
Streaming: September 23rd, 2015
Record Label: FREEDOM
Music Video: TBA

As we reach the fourth quarter of 2015, many acts are releasing their new singles leading up to highly anticipated albums as we reach the fourth quarter of the year. Among these new artists is Aubrey Mikkel, the R&B star who has risen to the summit of R&B and continues to be a force to be reckon with. Mikkel rose to stardom years ago as the first winner of talent competition Starfactory. Following the show's commencement, Mikkel released consistently successful music that has imprinted the 25 year old as a major figure in urban music, and music as a whole. This year alone Aubrey has had a successful run. After taking a hiatus from releasing music that lasted about five months, she returned with her most recent single "Photoshop Free". The record was a boastful yet unorthodoxed trap and r&B concoction that was not only a club banger that spoke about the use of editing tools to change your appearance, but a record in that encourages you to embrace your flaws no matter what they are and not to create an illusion for the people surrounding you. "Photoshop Free" was met with mixed to positive reception from critics but became a major success nonetheless. The record peaked at #2 but stood atop urban airplay for a recording setting four weeks. Continuing on, Aubrey Mikkel was nominated at the Fan Choice Awards for Favorite Urban Act and Favorite Urban Single for "Photoshop Free". Aubrey Mikkel was awarded with Favorite Urban Single for Photoshop Free, earning Aubrey her first ever FCA of her career. Mikkel was present at the show and gave a rather short acceptance speech, walking on stage and murmuring "Knew it! Ya'll chose the right one...haha, thanks!" before walking off stage. Following the success of "Photoshop Free", Mikkel announced that her new studio album "No Love Lost" had been finished for months, but she was waited for the right time to drop it and went on to state that the album would come after one more single was released. Aubrey's long awaited album has been anticipated since the release of "Ashes In The Rain" and "Victimized" which experienced releases last year, Photoshop Free and now it's fourth release that is being premiered and streamed today.

Aubrey Mikkel's newest single is entitled "Hickies & Scratches" and is the final single released before the release of Aubrey Mikkels long awaited album "No Love Lost". The record will experience distribution by Aubrey's current record label, FREEDOM on September 27th, 2015 to Digital Outlets and Airplay formats. The single was made available for official streaming today on September 23rd, 2015. "Hickies & Scratches were one of the last singles recorded for the new album. It was penned in March of 2015 by Aubrey and when Aubrey traveled to Sweden for a chain of shows, she was approached by a few Swedish producers who were interested in working with her. Among those producers was Arnthor Birgisson who Aubrey took a liking to. In the months that Mikkel was in Sweden, the two crafted together an cinematic urban record that Aubrey felt matched perfectly with the written contents of Hickies & Scratches, her wide vocal abilities and direction of the album. The record was recorded, mixed, and finalized in August of 2015 and was held off for some time to be released without any notice today. Hickies & Scratches is much in contrast to Mikkel's previous release and that was the whole point. Aubrey felt that after a club ready single like the attitude driven "Photoshop Free" she wanted to release a song that showed her vulnerability and vocal prowess like many of her previous records and when you hear Hickies & Scratches you can genuinely hear that Aubrey is more at home vocally as she shines over the production with gliding vocals, vulnerable belts and emotional runs. The record starts off with a piano-lead introduction, followed by a beautifully sung verse where Aubrey sings about her suspicions about a shady loved one who might be engaging in infidelity first starting with the opening lines /Boy you came home last night, smelling like cheap perfume/. Over the next few lines the record gradually declines in pitch, and on the word “me” becomes even more strikingly beautiful. The piano lead beginning then takes a turn on the hook where Aubrey coos her frustrations about feeling betrayed. The beats are cinematic, synth driven and not too over the top, and is perfect for listeners to really pay attention to the lyrics and Aubrey's strong vocal delivery.

Throughout the song Aubrey sings about this protagonist who has Hickies and scratches on his body that clearly points toward cheating and the female seems to be uncovering all these indications and suspicions. Will she up and leave? Who knows? "Hickies and Scratches" leaves listeners on a cliff hanger as Aubrey sings mostly about feeling betrayed instead of efforts to leave this womanizer, something that many people have trouble doing in my relationships. They are so attached that they can't find the courage to leave that person. The bridge of the record is haunting and moving as Aubrey brings her best vocal run in the final line of the bridge that takes us to the big final chorus.

*Piano instrumental*

Boy you came home last night, smelling like cheap perfume
When I asked you where you had been, you sat hummin' to a tune
I'm not a fool, something ain't right with you,
I know that you been fooling around on me, I'm gonna find her too

When you got with me you didn't have a penny to your name
I took you in baby, beneath my wing
Kept money in your pocket bought you brand new things
And this is the way you repay me for everything?

The hickies on your neck and the scratches on your back?
Boy they didn't come from me
You been working over time, twenty five eight
Loving on someone else instead of loving on me
The hickies on your neck and the scratches on your back
Baby they didn't come from me

When I washed your clothes, found lipstick on the shirt you wore
Don’t think for a second that I don't know what's going on
You know I love you to the core, that's why I haven’t walked out the door
Cause when you love somebody sometimes it’s hard to love no more

When you got with me you didn't have a penny to your name
I took you in baby, beneath my wing
Kept money in your pocket bought you brand new things
And this is the way you repay me for everything?

You won't miss your water, til your well runs dry
I've seen this happen, so many times in my life
When you do somebody wrong, who done right by you
Ain’t nothing good in life, gonna to come to you

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 8 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/09/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 24/09/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 24/09/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 24/09/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 24/09/2015(UTC), kandii on 24/09/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 27/09/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 27/09/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2015 00:25:34(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica:lesson learned: make sure your mistress wears smudge proof lip stick and trims her nails.

Nina: and leave hickies where the shadows will hide them. I suggest the crotch,love.

Erica: that's my favorite spot to leave and get them.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 24/09/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2015 10:23:56(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica:lesson learned: make sure your mistress wears smudge proof lip stick and trims her nails.

Nina: and leave hickies where the shadows will hide them. I suggest the crotch,love.

Erica: that's my favorite spot to leave and get them.

Aubrey: Morale of the story? Men are stupid as fuck lol. This song a true tale.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/09/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2015 04:45:53(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
AliyaRose: Yaaaas! The Queen is back with another hit. I can't wait to hold the album in my hands, the struggle was real.. But, now! The Album is coming and I'm satisfied as fuck. I'm happy.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2015 01:49:25(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
AliyaRose: Yaaaas! The Queen is back with another hit. I can't wait to hold the album in my hands, the struggle was real.. But, now! The Album is coming and I'm satisfied as fuck. I'm happy.

Aubrey: Tuh...The queen never went nowhere! Yes yes, it's on it's way honey. Promise. You stay showing love and I gotta respect that, you are doing your thing out there so keep it up too. You finna be real satisfied when the album drop.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Atonic Records  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2015 02:30:49(UTC)
Atonic Records

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2278 time(s) in 613 post(s)
Chaelin: Slayed my life, I legit can't wait for the full album girl! 😩👐
UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2015 01:36:11(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: Atonic Records Go to Quoted Post
Chaelin: Slayed my life, I legit can't wait for the full album girl! 😩👐

Aubrey: It's coming hunny, it's coming ;)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline RoseJapanFan  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2015 05:37:51(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: I'm a fan of everything but that single cover art is very....childish. Whoever your artwork director or whatever is, they need to be fired. Other than that, I enjoyed the song and it was a nice and welcomed change from your last single.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 08/10/2015(UTC)