logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2015 00:26:34(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19293 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Weekend
Title: Only Just Begun
Length: 3:47
Genres: Pop
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, R.Ifon, E.Reynolds
Produced By: Julian Bunetta
From The Album: About Time

Only Just Begun is the sixth track on Weekend's second studio album "About Time" and is the third official single to be taken from the record. The song was written by band members Dustyn Blue and Riley Hamilton alongside writing partners Renee Ifon and Edward Reynolds. The group wrote the song in early 2014, making it one of the last songs created for the project. Dustyn Blue wrote the majority of the song on his own while staying in a hotel during a promotional trip to Japan. Blue was reflecting upon the early days of the band and just how much they have achieved without even having released a second studio album. The track was recorded at Pesky Studios the day after the song was finished with the help of Riley Hamilton, Renee Ifon and Edward Reynolds. A mid-tempo 60's pop inspired backing track already existed, originally intended for another track from the album and the band decided to build the melody around it. The song is one of the slowest moments on the predominately rock influenced record. Much like the track "A Step From Heaven", the band come together to harmonise many times throughout the song which is something all of the fans love to hear. As well as harmonising together on the chorus, throughout portions of the song they also blend their five unique voices together to provide backing vocals taking the form of chilling "ooohs" and "aaahs" which give the ballad added depth and a contemplative feel.

The track opens up with a gentle tinkering of high piano keys, already stating that this song will be one of the more tender moments on "About Time". While Weekend's rock sound is always praised as it sets them apart from the likes of The Stat Nerds, The Zone and ELMNT, it is the ballads that really show off their vocal abilities and creativity. A mid-tempo always gets the fans all hot and bothered as the band always focus on meaningful lyrics and stunning vocal performances which is why they are loved by them so much. Uptempo tracks get the party started and allows fans to get whisked off into a carefree world but the ballads are the true Weekend moments. Unlike other slower paced songs in Weekend's back catalogue, Only Just Begun stands out for two very different reasons. The backing track has a throwback feel to it, taking inspiration from songs by 1960's harmonising vocal pop bands. The lyrics do not deal with a relationship like a lot of stereotypical boy band ballads. Instead the song reflects on the early days of the band and the ups and downs they endured. Despite all the "tears", "issues", juggling band life and school work and missing out on free time and sleep, they wouldn't change it for the world and look forward to what is yet to come. Many who have heard it already claim that it will soon become the theme song for Weekend and fans around the world as it documents their journey so far.

Billy opens up the song with his smooth silky vocals, drawing the listener in from the off. The throwback pop sound compliments Billy's dreamy vocals beautifully as it glides over the track with ease. There is a sense of honesty and humbleness in his voice as he starts to tell us about Weekend's insane journey to worldwide success. In the original demo, Billy sung the first verse and the third one which starts off with "we wrap it all up around lunchtime in the studio". That verse however refers to heading back to school and as Billy dropped out of education before joining the band it didn't feel appropriate resulting in him only having the first verse. Dustyn then takes on the second verse, signing in a huskier tone then Billy and also at a slightly faster pace. His rich vocals stand out even more as it is sandwich between Riley and Billy's parts, two of the softer voices in the band. Like Billy, Dustyn's performance is very believable as he recalls his time in school while recording their debut album. Dustyn also takes the second verse as Billy felt like it didn't seem authentic enough to come from him. Riley comes in and sweeps us away with the pre-chorus. Although he doesn't have many lines, he is the shining star in this swaying pop ballad. His clear and soaring soprano really stand out, showing a lot of improvement from the first album when it used to seem rather piercing and not very well enunciated. The boys all harmonise together in the chorus and Scott takes the last two lines of it. His vocals have came under fire in the past but as this song isn't vocally challenging (aside from Riley's parts), he sounds very at ease here and his soft vocals fit in well with the overall sound of Only Just Begun. Oscar sings the fourth verse, singing in a similar style to Dustyn's in his second verse. It is slightly faster in pace and Ward's deep, rocky edged vocal delivery make it almost identical to Blue's.

UserPostedImage

Reflecting back on all of our Kodak moments
Here's to many more like all the ones we had way back when
There's been so many tear drops and issues
Now I can look back at laugh at the person I was then

Bus to bus, out of breath, such an eager little kid, oh
Used to rush around and dance among big city lights
School books weighing me down as I battled through the rain
Can't stop to even fix my hair, just wanted to be on time

And as time keeps on passing me by
I try to catch my breath but this whirlwind, it never waits for me
(Yeah, yeah, oh, oh, oh, oh)

I'm still a kid right at heart but got a lifetime of memories in my head
Walked through the deep and the shallow, so many things that I have learned
And there's no signs of stopping, the long and winding rivers still flow
We'll ride it out together but where it leads us, nobody even knows
And we've only just begun, only, only just begun
Only just, only just, only just begun

And we've only just begun yet it seems like a lifetime
Though I would never change a thing that's happened on this ride

We wrap it all up around lunchtime in the studio
Wipe the crumbs from my jumper and it's straight back to school
Coming home after being picked up and driven just like royalty
Though it was far from it, doing maths and changing in the back seat

Though half asleep, I don't think that I've ever missed out
Still had my friends and they always stood right by me
I know that I had little time to just kick back and chill
A hectic lifestyle but I made sure to still keep it real

I swear it was only just yesterday
I try to catch my breath but the years don't seem to wait for me

And I will hold my hands, sometimes the going gets tough
But it's all worth it in the end
I take a look around me and see all that I have achieved
Know all that doesn't come easily
And as our lives keep turning, we just keep on learning
We're still those five pesky kids

And as time keeps on passing me by
I try to catch my breath but this whirlwind, it never waits for me

Can be compared to:
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
chaotic_princess on 12/10/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 12/10/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 12/10/2015(UTC), erich hess on 12/10/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/10/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 12/10/2015(UTC), kandii on 09/11/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2015 05:44:56(UTC)
Welat65

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: is this another blessing from heaven? Listening to this song is like I'm only 2 steps away from heavens door. I can die happy now. Dustyn is giving me vocals and it's making me feel some type of way..I WASN'T READY. I love you guys so much, never stop making music. Thank you
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 12/10/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2015 03:14:00(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Queen Alexis: Don't we all love a little bit of super market music! hahaha Not a bad song but the strength here doesn't rest on the way the song sounds. It actually sounds very boring. The strength is in the lyrics. The Queen loves a song that has a meaning and this here is a very meaningful song, so very good job to the writing team!

Hope the next set of music you guys release is different, because your sound has not matured or changed a bit since the first album. We need some progression in the sound. Getting bored with the super market sound. But still, nice vocals from Billy, Riley and Dustyn and nice lyrics as I said before.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 13/10/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2015 03:40:57(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich : I want to see Billy singing this about 40 years from now. Drunk off his ass and with his tie untied . all while channelling the spirit of Frank Sinatra. Hell,it could be done now, but a drunk old man is always more sad then a young drunk man.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 13/10/2015(UTC)