logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Squeege  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2015 07:57:57(UTC)
Squeege

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 189 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Still Not Dead Yet

I have to be honest. I wasn't really expecting a phone call from Johnny McDougal after the last time I spoke to him. He pulled a John Wayne and sort of just rode his horse off into the sunset with a half drunken grace. So when he popped up on my phone I was pretty eager to answer. "Let me guess. You're in a Mexican jail and need to post bail money." He replied, "You're not the one I'd call too be honest. It'd be Erich Hess or the family. I've been in jail in Mexico before anyway. The food wasn't actually bad and hell you can make damn good tequila in the toilet. But I don't recommend that shit." I just laughed and asked him where he wanted to meet. "The usual place. You know where. I'll be the guy the glass of bourbon or Jameson's depending on my mood." So that was that. I got in my car and took off to the usual watering hole that Johnny frequented. When I got there he was seated on the corner, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a glass of bourbon on the rocks. There's an aging James Dean quality about him. If James Dean hadn't died in that car crash. I figured he'd look like this. Grizzled, greying, and drinking. I held off on the questions because you really don't interview him. You let him talk and he'll set up the questions. He really knows how to work an interview at times. Which is kind of what this is as well as a social call. I'd be set up with a beer and a shot along with the direct command to, "Drink and don't ask questions about what it is. Just drink." Drink and don't ask questions seemed like a damn good motto to me to start on. So I drank my beer and felt his eyes watching me for a moment. "When's the last time you spoke to Mr. Hess anyway?" He answered me with a shrug. "Erich and I are still friends. But sometimes life takes you in different directions. But after losing touch there's a hell of a reunion coming." I felt like he was setting me up for a question.

So you and Herr Hess are getting back together?

Yeah I could say we are. He's doing a tour for Halloween and shit. So I figured why not tag along for a while? I'll be coming out for a while to play some music and jam with somebody I consider one of my best friends. We drink and party. It's always a good time.

So this means you'll be coming out of retirement?

Hardly. I consider myself if anything semi-retired. I like that word. I like to come out when I feel like I'm needed. Like Batman, or a bad case of STDs.

Speaking of partying and drinking though. What the hell happened to Hen?

My quote, unquote producer? He's still alive somewhere. Last I heard he took off to Cancun and just fucking disappeared. Maybe he's in Bermuda. I got no idea where he is. I get occasional pictures and messages from him. The most recent picture I got from him was a picture of Erich's derelict ship. Figured he was trying to put it in my head that we needed to hang out. Whether they did. I got no idea. But he likes his drugs and booze just as much as Herr Hess. So I figured there was much partaking.

Sounds like him. You're interested in getting into producing game aren't you?

Yeah I am actually. I figure I got some good shit to contribute. I'm always looking around for different unsigned and under the radar acts. That I feel could add to the music scene at large. The Rock N' Roll game is severely lacking as is the real independent scene.

You're buying into the fact that Rock N' Roll is dead?

Rock is a lie. Besides the heavy metal guys. They got their shit straight. As far as Rock n' Roll bands. Yeah, there's no real pulse there I think. You buy into a lot of bullshit that Rock n' Roll sells you. I'm not being bitter. I'm being realistic about it. Somebody please come around save Rock n' Roll before the tombstone starts getting cut out.

What about the independent guys?

Everybody wants to manufacture a band or a singer I think. The independent artists are the unsung heroes of music. They have so much to offer and are stuck in limbo. If somebody would take a listen and notice the substance, the hard work, and the constant road that they put in just to make a buck. They have a following and haven't given into the pressure of the major leagues yet. But getting involved with it would definitely change the face of how we look at music. I'm talking about guys that have been working, recording, and touring for 5 to 10 years or more. Then are still undiscovered. Those kind of guys that haven't given up.

I have to say I can agree with that. You always seem to have a valid if not controversial opinion of the music scene at large. Why don't you write for somebody?

Hell nobody's ever asked. I wouldn't mind being a contributor. But nobody ever gave me any phone calls. So it's what it is man.

He took a puff on his cigarette and drank form his glass of bourbon. Then tossed one at me as he badgered me to quit pussing around and drink. Which I did. Johnny does not full around and skip on the conversation when there's boozing involved. He'd grin then finish his bourbon and order two shots of Jameson's. The first one flashing down his throat between a puff of cigarette smoke. He'd slide the other one over to me like it was invitation to keep talking.

So with the new tour will you release an album? Maybe?

It's a possibility you know? But if anything it'll be an EP or something. But it won't be a solo project.

Are you saying you're getting Nobody's Darlings back together?

Yep. I figure at this point why the hell not? We don't have much to lose. Besides a few more beers and a few extra miles never hurt. It gives you fucking character.

After a few more cigarettes and drinks. He gave me a squinty eyed look. Johnny was packing a good buzz but I recognized that look. It was time to pack it in and wrap this thing up. Besides he was looking to party and get away from the interview. I had a feeling I don't think I'd be walking home that night or even stumbling. Somebody may be carrying me out of the bar tonight. Johnny ordered another round and I realized that the party was just starting. My liver was going to be pissed at me tomorrow.
UserPostedImage]

Owner of: Nobody's Darlings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ezra "Zeke" James

The Train Jumpers

Hennessy Daniels
thanks 5 users thanked Squeege for this useful post.
erich hess on 13/10/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 13/10/2015(UTC), chaotic_princess on 15/10/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/10/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 19/10/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2015 10:22:17(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich: you'd be surprised what and who you can find on my ship. I know I've got at least one ex harlot and perhaps most of Bettie and the starchiefs. There very well could be a producer of yours in there too. He May not have been there,but I saw him anyway.

Karoliena: did....did you quote a grateful dead shirt?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Squeege  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2015 10:30:04(UTC)
Squeege

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Johnny: He claims the two of you had some drinks. I wouldn't doubt him on this. Because the man drinks at damn near superhuman levels. He's a human liquor still.
UserPostedImage]

Owner of: Nobody's Darlings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ezra "Zeke" James

The Train Jumpers

Hennessy Daniels
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2015 10:48:30(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erich: it tends to be a prerequisite for any ocean going voyage aboard the duke. No room for tea totallers here.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.