logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2016 13:27:54(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19293 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Luke Striker
Featured Artists: Deneil, Drew Westbrook
Genre(s): PBR&B, Grime
Length: 3:30
Written By: D.Khan, L.Striker, D.Westbrook
Produced By: Deneil
Label: Third Strike
From The Album: TBC

Good Thing Going is the first posthumous and eight overall single from American singer-songwriter Luke Striker. The song was partially written by Luke a few months before his death and the original production was handled by Deneil. It is believed to have been a leftover, incomplete track from his debut album "Title" which was released to critical acclaim back in September 2014. The surprise release saw a dramatic change in direction, swapping the rock influenced sounds found on his debut EP Overload for a more electronica/PBR&B style. Khan and Striker worked on a handful of tracks together after the British rapper featured on Luke's track On My Own, marking his official debut. The pair formed a strong bond during the creation of Striker's debut album, as the project was aided by very few people and the recordings were in a rather intimate and informal setting.

After Luke sadly took his on life on March 9th 2015, his family discovered a wide selection of unheard songs on Striker's laptop and on discs laying around his apartment. Some of the songs were totally finished, others being either; rough demos, partially recorded or simple voice notes. With Deneil being one of the few friends Striker had left towards the end of his life as well as being a respected artist, the Striker family left the material in Khan's hands. Initially, Deneil believed that the music should not be tampered with but after hearing the unreleased material, he and Luke's family agreed that Striker still had a lot left to say and believed that the world should hear his final messages. Deneil re-worked his original composition of the track and decided to add his own verse, trying his best to recreate the closest feeling he'll ever get to a collaboration with his departed friend again. One of Khan's other close friends, rapper Drew Westbrook happened to be with Deneil around the time that he was working on "Good Thing Going". As the original demo of the song only contained one verse and a hook, Khan tried his best to flesh it out beyond a minute and a half. Even adding his own verse, the song didn't seem complete. As Westbrook was a fan of the late singer and is a well respected artist, Deneil and the Striker family agreed that an appearance from Drew would also be appreciated. The song was finished in mid-2015 and will be released through Luke's own imprint, Third Strike.

"Good Thing Going" is a PBR&B song with elements of Grime due to Deneil's delivery. Luke's vocals cut back and forth from a gritty sounding half sung-half spoken delivery to a high and delicate falsetto. Even with erratic electronic beats recurring through the song, Good Thing Going has an overall tranquil feel to it. Deneil's vocals are even slightly more tame in comparison to his usual harsh, biting delivery. Still keeping his infamous accent intact, Deneil sounds rather calm when delivering his lines, wanting the listeners to really connect with every word. Drew's verse is actually the one which seems more aggressive while Khan's is more poignant. Westbrook doesn't try to emulate the well known aggressiveness of Khan but his delivery is rather sharp, faster in pace and with the instrumentation subsided during the bulk of his verse, Drew's words really stand out prominently amidst the overall laid back song. The last chorus sees both rappers sing, both using a soft falsetto like Luke's. This is the first time anyone has heard Deneil sing and even though they both fuse together, Khan can be heard doing the slightly higher harmony.

Lyrically, the song speaks of stepping out into the "real world" and some sort of "awakening". Striker, Khan and Westbrook appear to appreciate and love all of their new surrounding despite the harshness and cold reality of them all. As long as they are no longer being fed lies, it's all good. Many believe that the song is about the Illuminati conspiracy theory and how everything we see advertised and reported in the news is filtered and/or created by an elite occult. It is believed that Luke was writing about finally "waking up" and seeing through all of the lies. The line; "I rip the picture perfect image from the frame to see what really lays behind" is one which really sticks out and supports this theory. Although that's what it is, just a theory, many have now became extremely unnerved learning that Luke died before he was able to release the song to the world. The delayed release from Deneil and Drew after the cover art was revealed also has many believing that "others" did not want this song to be released.

Luke
Deneil
Drew
Deneil + Drew singing

I'm stepping out and if you're scared of a storm, watch out, I'm on the horizon
Numb to the taste of bitter pills, I reject the hand and split skies like lightening
I don't mind stepping out the cage and walking among all of the hungry and freezing
It's hard to face but I prefer the real even if we're all coughing and wheezing
Some would rather hold on to an illusion just to help them drift to sleep at night
I rip the picture perfect image from the frame to see what really lays behind

Orders from above, it's turned into a state of emergency
One of the little lab rats has broken free
Sound the alarms, bring him back at all costs
I'm wondering the real world and hoping to get lost
All the search parties, it's just a big waste of time
I'm taking every jump I can, no need for a lifeline
In your bubble it may seem like what I'm doing is so wrong
But I can feel that I've got a good thing going on

Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa
I got a good thing going on
It feels so right how can it be wrong?
Finally found a place where I belong

When I walk through, the shadows consuming the streets will all part ways
The truth is coming and I'm armed, ready for all of your little games
I'll bring the shining light to all the dark corners of your mind
Don't come at with your muzzle, nothing's gonna stop me on my grind
Who wants to live in plastic, trip the light fantastic
When it's all just a mirage, can only go so far before bouncing back, elastic
I break the boundaries, I'll show them everything that you don't want them to see
Help them smell all the bullshit covering the roses, take off the mask to breathe
Rip off the patch, all eyes on me from Paris to Glasgow to London to Houston
I'm spilling it all over seas, catch me if you can, watch out 'cause I'm moving
I'm spitting the truth and giving back life with just one of my lines
You can't cover it all back over with one of your little nursery rhymes
I don't fuck with your system, I will fuck with the system
Striker, Khan and Westbrook coming through so keep your fucking distance
You say that curiosity killed the cat as if that's going to shake me
I'm not some clueless little pussy, I can clearly see it's you poisoning the cream
The truth may hurt but don't dare say that it's overrated
Might not like what we see but there's nothing wrong with being educated
Like Jack, I've broken out of the box, my mind was so frustrated
I'll take you down, snap all the chains no matter how serrated

From your bubble it may seem like what I'm doing is wrong

I've been running, running from the green that's been tryna bury me in adversity
I'm wading every little step, I'm walking my own Green Mile
I'm walking to my death, all I that I'm missing is my cross and crown
I can feel it all running to the light, just as my legs give out
They say you crawl before you walk, but we end it all on our knees
Begging for the strength we thought we had within to take the lead
I'm the one fighting the shadows, I'm the only one losing sleep
I'm the one seeking liberation, I can barely even see
Constantly looking over my shoulder, living in a rush of anxiety
But something inside knows I've got a good thing going on, just as long as I get going
I can't be the one to lean on, but on these fours everyone will witness me leading the movement
Drew may not be much but he's the slithering nuisance who makes change in refusing
Been struggling to write this whole time because up until now I didn't know my purpose
Just learning to tease my tongue, hoping these rhymes defeat the serpents
Letting my soul loose, praying Striker enjoys the view
Y'all taking orders from above, we're just listening to the muse

From your bubble it may seem like what I'm doing wrong

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
JohnnyBBB on 10/02/2016(UTC), kandii on 10/02/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 11/02/2016(UTC), C4AJoh on 14/02/2016(UTC), GirlSpice on 16/02/2016(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 19/02/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 22/02/2016(UTC), erich hess on 22/02/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2016 05:40:26(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Kara: As it goes, I usually don't agree with posthumous releases. However, I think judging by the quality of this track, Luke was working on something really really special here and the opportunity to hear some of what he was working on is definitely a good thing, if a little sobering at the same time. Deneil and Drew did a fucking JOB on this too and this track just feels very powerful, whether it's the circumstance or content, it's very powerful. So thank you guys for having the courage to put this out there.
thanks 2 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
kandii on 14/02/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 14/02/2016(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2016 02:57:01(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: It was pretty bittersweet to hear Luke's voice again but the entire song was handled so well and hopefully people won't forget what a great artist Luke was. Drew and Deneil are my personal favorite rappers right now so to get all three of these guys on one track was pretty surreal.

OOC: Great job on the lyrics, really loved them!
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/02/2016(UTC), kandii on 19/02/2016(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2016 05:11:48(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Mandy: Oh my god :( this song literally brings me to tears! Not only because it's soooo good but because I miss Luke so much!! I think his legacy should be carried on forever because he was such a great person and talented musician so I'm happy that babe and Lukes foundation with Drew released this song because no matter what people have to say about this, I stand by it because I know Luke would love this and it's for a great cause. Such a good song guys :)

OOC: Nice job as usual :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 2 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/02/2016(UTC), kandii on 22/02/2016(UTC)