logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2016 07:18:46(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single: To Be Loved
Artist: 9LIVES
Label: SM Entertainment
Release Date: April 8th, 2016
Genre: K-pop
Written by: Mi Sun Kim, Mae Na Geum, Yasmine Kiambang, Airemese Smith
Produced by: Flame 1&2, FancyN
Length: 4:02

To Be Loved is a song recorded by the Korean girl group, 9LIVES or simply 9L. The song was released in Korea on April 8th, 2016 but only impacted American radio on April 10th, 2016 as the debut single from the group's debut extended play, Fix Me Up. To Be Loved is a K-pop song that incorporates strong elements of pop, hip hop and electronic music in its production, created by Flame 1&2, best known for their work on earlier tracks from Rum & Coke, Lotus and Mi•Mi.

Following it's released, the single recieved mixed reviews, a lot of critics bashing the song for it's production but mostly praising the lyrics.

Billboard wrote:
Nothing but a month ago SM Entertainment unveiled their newest girl group that they plan on shipping to America, 9LIVES and promised music almost immediately. Consisting of Billie, Mint, Jackie, Charlie, Kali, Alyx, Chanel, Raven and JJ, these nine girls are serving up a sweet helping of crossover pop as only SM Entertainment signees have in the past. To Be Loved is their first single and it's a good one.

Going in, this song reminds you strongly of a retro tune, the kinds of songs coming out of girl bands back in the 50s and 60s. It's updated for the modern era, with a cool rap from Mint, but has some of the backing horns and guitars and general peppiness of a previous generation. The chorus is classic K-pop, and definitely hook-filled, serving 2 great ones like the Pop driven "Because boy I got you, through the thick, thin and lacking/Baby boy I got got got you, without you even asking" and the sexy chant, "How does it feel, how does it feel, how does it feel to be loved?"

The message of the song? They've got love for you even when no one else does.

I've rarely been disappointed by a K-pop song (though I have learned to redirect my attention to the videos in bad times), and this debut track from 9LIVES is no exception. Many may think this song comes off a little messy but it's a bold sprint of energy that shows it's versatility in not only genres but tempos. It's light, poppy, upbeat, and a great song to lift your mood just a bit.

Pitchfork wrote:
After a few articles and boycotts telling us not to support SM Entertainment or their obvious replacement for Mi•Mi, their newest girl group 9LIVES have debuted with their first single To Be Loved. While the idea of new music from new artists is exciting, the song itself doesn't do much more than excite the critics to finally be able to write a bad review in 2016. To Be Loved fails to craft a memorable identity for 9LIVES to call its own, unless the identity SM Entertainment was aiming for is the one girl group we can count on to release horrible music that'll cloud up the radio anyway because payola miracles.

Part of the problem with To Be Loved is that it’s incredibly forgettable. It tries so hard to be catchy with 2 hooks, dozens of melodies, and at lest 4 beat changes but it only comes off as annoying. Very very annoying. While the song is kicked off strongly by 3 of the members, it all falls flat before giving the song any promising power, the production is a muddled loud mess of electronic thwomps and synths that doesn’t vary enough between verses, choruses and hooks to really gain any momentum. It tries to be too many things at once, without a connecting element that brings it all together. We’ve got hip hop, cutesy pop fluff and noisy electronic breakdowns. This, my friends, is the dark side of K-pop that we've gotten ourselves tangled up in.

To Be Loved starts off in one gear and stays on auto-pilot (which glitches bad by the way) for its overly-long four-and-a-half minute running time. The crammed production isn’t helped by the aggressively processed and double-tracked vocals of the members as it leaves the instrumentals and the singers sounding incredibly one-note. The song tries to counter this through sheer volume, as if slightly increasing the speed of the synths equates to genuine thrills but it doesn’t do much more than drown out everything around it and increase the need for an Advil. By the time the last synth mercifully blares, it’s hard to recall any single moment of To Be Loved because the whole track blends together into a mediocre deflating balloon of pop noise.

As far as the lyrics go, they aren't half bad. There's really great technique within the writing, it just feels as if there's a few too many. The song overall is about having a strong love for someone who doesn't have a clue. At one point in the song, the girls are singing out of the purity of unrequited love, claiming that they don't need anything in return for the endearment they give because they are just decent people who love you. Yet just seconds later, this love seems to be thriving off of the possibility that one day you MIGHT discover their love by accident (I guess) and they'll have the pleasure of asking, "how does it feel?". As if that wasn't enough, it doesn't take long before the song completely just turns into an anthem of adoration (which for starters isn't love) as they go on to sing you're the light of their day and claim that unlike the others they appreciate and understand your whole shtick, even though they admit to knowing close to nothing about you. It feels as if the writers of the song just took the pen and pad one at a time and passed it around like some joint. Thanks to the absolute lack in making the objective clear, the song comes off as a stalker's note with good intention and a lot of pink.

Oh, and I would say Mint can't rap but she's not even in the writing credits so so much for that! The complete fail on the writing makes absolutely no sense with the lineup given in the credits. The pure fact that Airemese Smith had any part in writing this discombobulating mess is beyond possibilities. Did Yasmine really climb out of the sewers of Malaysia for this? We're talking about the woman who wrote Proposition, Like A Christmas Toy and Bless Me in the same year! You can't even hold Misu and Mae Na responsible for this, they had always played a huge part in the music of their own girl group, Mi•Mi, who's work always had a great melody and lyrics that outdid themselves with limited English. The only way these 4 ladies could come together and make this is if they all got sloppy drunk and hired a bunch of 5th graders to ghostwrite it for them. In contrast, the production can be explained for by the fact that Flame 1&2 were in charge of it. Their production had always been hyper and heavily influenced by the latest Hip Hop trends, but this track is the very reason why their career in producing Pop music should've ended a long time ago.

Overall, To Be Loved isn't just bad, it's disappointing. It feels as if this whole song was just generated for a few spins on radio and a bunch of views on YouTube which will ultimately result in lots of money. Mi•Mi might've been nothing but cash cows to the industry but at least they had the quality to win over the hearts of critics and people all around the world. Everything about 9LIVES, from the image to the music, feels fresh out of a sweatshop.

Billie
Mint
Jackie
Charlie
Kali
Alyx
Chanel
Raven
JJ
ALL

(So tell me)
How does it feel, how does it feel, how does it feel to be loved?

You got that look boy, the one that can't be escaped
You got me hooked boy, I'm waiting down by the bay
Where the hearts grow old, and youth rots away
I never listen to what they say

Because when I love, I love unrequitedly
I don't trip up my heart over diamond rings

I got you on my mind and I swear that's plenty
This one-sided love is just as good as any

'Cause I got love, I got love for the both of us
I don't care that you don't care, that makes 2 of us
I believe in you blindly, it's such a bad religion

(You don't have to tell me-tell me!)
One of these days, you just might look inside
And find that what you thought was empty
Was really just something perfect waiting on the right timing

Because boy I got you, through the thick, thin and lacking
Baby boy I got got got you, without you even asking
Most beg for love in this cruel world but you don't even have to ask me!
Most wait to get knocked down to see who's really standing!
But this whole time I've been pushing through because you've been lighting up my way
You're the moon in my night, the sand in my dreams, the clouds, the light of my day!

(So tell me)

I know how I feel, I know-I know that it's real
Others imagine that you're ideal and miss the whole point of your appeal
I don't know as much as I'd like about you, some may think that's unreal
But everyone you've been with expected a change and man, that's unreal
They've all been so selfish, yeah they're all so unfaaair
(un-just!)
Even I'm selfish, there's no affair in our love affair (one-sided!)
But name an honest soul who claims to be selfless
It's when you've got nothing to offer that sincerity is put to the real test

And I got love, I got enough for the both of us
I don't care that you don't care, that makes 2 of us
I believe in you blindly, it's such a bad religion

(You don't have to tell me-tell me)
One of these days, you just might look inside
And find that what you thought was empty
Was really just something perfect waiting on the right timing

But this whole time I've been pushing through because you've been lighting up my way
You're the moon in my night, the sand in my dreams, the clouds, the light of my day!

You just don't know!
How far my love goes!
How much I love you!
If only you knew!

(Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye!)
Tell me!
(Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye!)

Because boy I got you..
Baby boy I got got got you..

You know I got you!

Edited by user 11 April 2016 07:25:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 11/04/2016(UTC), erich hess on 11/04/2016(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 11/04/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 11/04/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 12/04/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 13/04/2016(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2016 08:03:56(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica:its cute and all,but what the fuck is going on here?

Nina:its not mimi. thats what is,love.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 2 users thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 11/04/2016(UTC), Lastrevio on 12/04/2016(UTC)