logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2016 09:33:30(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)

UserPostedImage
Single: Home Alone
Artist: Coke
Label: Studio60
Release Date: August 28th, 2016
Genre: Alternative Pop, Reggae Rock
Written by: Yasmine Kiambang, Airemese Smith, Drew Westbrook
Produced by: inZane, DrewWB, Flame 1&2, FancyN
Length: 3:25

Home Alone is a song recorded by Canadian singer-songwriter-choreographer Coke from her first studio album, Dans Ta Tête. The song will serve as the lead single from the album, seeking to impact radio on August 21st, 2016 by Studio60 Records. Written solely by Airemese Smith, the production is handled by inZane, Flame 1&2, DrewWB and FancyN, the latter being the second half of her Hip Hop duo, Rum & Coke. Released August 29th, 2016 to radio and digital download, Home Alone is an uptempo track that fuses reggae, rock and alternative pop, an extremely new sound for Coke who had previously only made PBR&B and other urban music. Lyrically the song revolves around a woman who hates being left home alone so much that she has suicidal thoughts.

In late May 2016, Home Alone had officially became the first song written and recorded for her impending debut solo album. Upon first hearing the song, Coke knew it would have to be her lead single, one of it's striking qualities being that it was one of the very few uptempos she had written for herself. Though there was talk of a solo album, she hadn't officially started the album process until Home Alone had inspired her to do so. From there she had gotten her favorite producers together and put together the outline of the album in little over 2 months. On June 28th, 2016, Coke sent out a tweet that hinted she would release a solo single that following day. It never came, as her team began making plans to make it the lead single for her record. Before proper information could be announced, a series of anonymous hackers started leaking Coke's documents and soon enough got their hands on her full album. After the leak it was released without any prior singles, with plans of Home Alone, 2 Can Play That Game, Love to Love and Hit Em First being released after the fact.

Home Alone is an uptempo track that incorporates elements of ska and has a length of three minutes and twenty five seconds. The Guardian characterised the song as a "alternative pop" track containing a "guitar-tinged" beat, played by inZane. Rap-Up magazine said the song is an "upbeat" track containing a "reggae-inspired" instrumental as well which seems to be the work of Flame 1&2. The song opens with a "-slung, reggae-tinged verse", which the Guardian compared to the work of the Police, the song moves into a "guitar-heavy" chorus which contains "ska guitars and horns" played by Drew Westbrook and a "chunky rock arrangement" composed by inZane and FancyN. Complex described the song as a pop rock track. Musically, the song is written in the key of B minor, and set in common time signature with a moderately fast tempo of 138 beats per minute. It follows a chord progression of Bm-Em-A-D. Coke's vocals span from the note of B3 to the high note of D5.

Coke wrote:
I have no idea why I'm like this, but I really hate being in houses all alone. I always find a friend's house to crash at or most of the time I just go to my momma's. I really can't stand it, which is such a mess because my man is a rapper and he's always up to something. In a way, I do consider myself a loner but being anywhere by myself just makes me so uncomfortable. It's not like I need someone to talk to, I just really appreciate another person's presence, it makes me feel safe. I was trying to write that into this song but of course it came out as some clingy dramatic suicide note [laughs]. Either way, I really like it, from the melody to the production, even the lyrics. Plus it's a true uptempo that isn't completely dumbed-down for the sake of being catchy. The track is just such a win.

Coke

The nights are too cold, the voices echo
When I'm on my own, I don't know what to do
Looking 'round the room, thinking about you
Then it all goes blue, and I'm peeling back a scar
My heart is still in shards
My head's been shattering my dreams, my hopes and ambitions
Na na na na
Downplayed the injuries 'cause you were next to me
But now you're gone and they're open, open, open

(What do I do now? What do I do now?) Stuck with my twisted thoughts again
(What do I do now? What do I do now?) With a conscious I cannot comprehend
Thought I was strong, how could I know
Convinced I would make it on my own
(What do I do now? What do I do now?) Suddenly what is right feels wrong
How could you leave me home alone?

I tried and I tried, to not give it thought
But all that I got is coming to naught
I'll let myself sit, I'll let myself rot
This house is a storage and I'm just a pretty box
My mind is taken captive
By all the faults I fail to admit
Na na na na
Downplayed the insecurities to keep you here with me
But now you're gone and it's choking, choking, choking

I left your suitcase out with my explanation written down
I probably should've called you first
I turned on the stove and let that gas take control
I lit up an essence, threw it on the curtain
I got a nice blanket, found your gun with no blanks, man

(What do I do now? What do I do now?) You went and left me home alone

thanks 7 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 29/08/2016(UTC), erich hess on 29/08/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 29/08/2016(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/09/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 05/09/2016(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 06/09/2016(UTC), squaregatescrub on 07/09/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2016 21:52:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8683 time(s) in 2724 post(s)
Cara: I have to say, I'm loving this track. A lot of people struggle to show different elements when they go solo and often just sound like a lesser version of their group but this is remarkable. I'm loving the incorporation of guitars and a more alternative sound and I think you're one of the most creative minds in the industry right now. Lyrically you're at the very top of the game and the rawness and emotion in these words are very real. In that sense, it can be difficult to listen to, but that's a great power to have and we need more songs that make us feel something today. This is great and you're definitely my girl crush right now.
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
kandii on 04/09/2016(UTC)