logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mebeme101  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2016 19:27:10(UTC)
mebeme101

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Like I Was ft. Rum (REMIX)
Label: Permanent Reminder Records
Genre: Pop
Lenght: 3:40
Writer(s): Brandon Grey, Nina "Rum" Tarantino
Producer(s): Brandon Grey
Released: December 29th, 2016

"Like I Was" is the third single from American singer/songwriter/producer Brandon Grey and the first single he's released under a record label the song was originally written and produced by Brandon alone however after the release of his debut album "REAL/UNCUT/ME" he had the idea to add friend and fellow singer/songwriter Nina Tarantino also known as Rum onto the track he brought the idea up to her during a night while the two were hanging out and she agreed they then hit the studio a few days later to add Nina/Rum onto it where she had written her own lyrics completely changing the bridge and the first half of the last chorus giving her writing credits on the song as well

Brandon began writing the song three years ago with absolutely no plans to release it until just recently when he was going through tracks for his debut album he came across this one and thought it would fit perfectly with a beat he had recently produced he took the lyrics into the studio and everything just fell into place Brandon wrote this song after coming out of a difficult relationship and has stated that this was one of the hardest songs to write at the time due to the lyrics being so personal and close to the situation he also stated that taking it into the studio brought up old memories of the person who he thought he left behind though it may not be something that'll break your heart due to the slightly more upbeat sound of the track the lyrics are definitely relatable in a sense that after a break up you wonder where and what your ex is doing now and who he/she is doing it with

Lyrics: Lyrically this is one of Brandon's best singles to date with a more personal feeling than "I'll Show you" and better lyrics than "Bury Me" this song definitely ranks as his best as he goes into it we hear Brandon question his ex lover about their current one asking if he does the things Brandon use to for her throughout the songs verses he continues questioning her on what this lover does for her and what she does for him asking if there are any similarities between what they use to do probably the most personal and heartbreaking line on this track is "Are you in love with him now?/Or are you playing out" in which Brandon actually asks his ex if she's in love with this new guy now or if she's just playing him like she was with Brandon people might just look at that as a simple line in a song but for those who could relate it's definitely more than just a simple line it's safe to say Brandon brought it here lyrically as he reveals even more personal things about himself and his lover however Nina/Rum also definitely brings it with her part the opening line to her rap alone is truly amazing "It's the people hardest to love that need it the most" but she also manages to lighten up the song a little as well with her reference to the video "The Grapefruit Technique" with the opening lyrics to the final chorus being "Tell me does she surprise you with grapefruit/Is she always finding a new way to please you like I was, like I was?" which brings a slight playfulness to the song overall Brandon and Rum definitely owned the lyrics on this song delivering an awesome performance here

Production: Brandon Grey is hit or miss sometimes when it comes to him producing a song by himself sometimes he's on like on tracks like "Everyday" which delivers a funner style without going over board or "Bury Me" which is more simple but at the same time complex and sometimes he'll just be completely off we'll use "Coat" as an example the song tries to come off as edgy but ends up just sounding generic and boring the same can be said with "I'll Show You" this song however is one of his better solo produced songs having a more upbeat sound to it but also not straying far from the emotion of the lyrics or vocals it's more it's a bit more in his comfort zone which isn't a bad thing as the song has very simple elements to it it never really gets too complex with it's more laid back but upbeat style the part in this song that shines the most is definitely in the radio friendly chorus however the simple piano that plays in the beginning of the final chorus is also a very good point in the song overall the production on this song is pretty good there aren't many low points that stand out but it is rather simple and radio friendly which again isn't necessarily a bad thing

Vocals: Vocally this is definitely Brandon's best song he manages to show the perfect emotion in each part of the song going along perfectly with the production and lyrics the strongest point vocally is in the final chorus after Nina/Rum finishes her part we hear Brandon come in showing off a power in his vocals nobody had even known existed as he comes in with a sort of scratchiness to his voice that sounds more appealing than one would think he delivers this out of nowhere as well as he seemed to be singing in a more laid back but emotional style before and so did Rum before he just came out with this really delivering in that part he continues showing emotion and power in his vocals as the chorus continues to go through however during the end he goes back into the lighter more laid back style we're use to from him Rum also delivers vocally here as she sings the first parts of the final chorus the only complaint here is we didn't get to hear her more than this yes she did deliver an excellent rap beforehand which showed her in a more laid back flow as she rapped the lyrics with in a way that only she could but it would've been nice to hear her more vocally than this that is truly the only complaint though because both definitely did deliver here

Overall: With amazing vocals, solid production, and great lyrics this is definitely Brandon's best single to date and adding Rum to it was definitely a game changer as it only upped the songs credibility the only reason that this song might not takeover the radio is because some of the lyrics in it are a bit more mature and honest however with the radio friendly production and the vocals of both Nina and Brandon this song should definitely take over the radio it helps that this is a fan favorite and will probably get plenty of downloads and requests but only time will tell

Brandon Grey
Rum

Does he hold you like I use to?
Is he all on top of you like I was, like I was

You in that blouse?
Turnin' him on?
Tyin' him down to the bed with that rope?
Handcuffs with the blindfold
Are you in love with him now?
Or are you playing out
Is he hearing the same sounds?
You on him like you was on me?

Tell me does he hold you like I use to
And do you scream his fuckin' name out?
Are you happy that you found him are you? Are you?

Is he a freak, like I was?
Keepin' you comin' all night long
Still got all the memories
How you'd slide that dress
And that made up face
Tell me the truth was it all worth it?
Is he loving you, do you make him earn it?
You on him like you was on me?

And do you scream his fuckin' name out?
Are you happy that you found him are you? Are you?
Had so much lovin, but you quit
And now you got him, I'm alone
Is he all on top of you like I was, like I was, oh

It's the people hardest to love that need it the most
Kept you warm all them nights, how could you leave me cold
For some bitch who don't know good loving's the quickest way to your soul
She can meet your parents but she'll never meet my standards though
In a perfect world we could've built a bond on something more than bondage
But it's clear that asking you to try was just too big of a bargain
Can you believe I actually considered being your late night contact?
You left me at my worst, let's just leave it at that

Tell me does she surprise you with grapefruit
Is she always finding a new way to please you like I was, like I was?

Is he getting you on fire?
Makin' love every night, like we would? Would
Had so much lovin, but you quit
Now you got him, I'm alone
Like I was
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 11 users thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 29/12/2016(UTC), C4AJoh on 29/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 29/12/2016(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 29/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 29/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 29/12/2016(UTC), kandii on 29/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 29/12/2016(UTC), freestylechamp on 30/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 30/12/2016(UTC), TishaJackson!!!! on 04/01/2017(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2016 04:08:35(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6113 time(s) in 2662 post(s)
Chris: good god the vapors, this is that new school baby making music. like the kind of music you put on when you see your ex and give her that smirk.

OOC: good good lyrics, really one of those song that should be a real single in life. Play this when you want that make up, and put it down.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
erich hess on 30/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/12/2016(UTC), kandii on 30/12/2016(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2016 05:16:48(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19292 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
Deneil: Faaaam, you know this was one of my favourite tracks on the album. Glad you released it as a single, bruv. Getting Rum on the track was fucking killer too. Though what's the bit about grapefruit? That a reference that goes over my head, bruv? Grapefruit ain't good for shit, fam. Though we know this song is just straight up LIES though, innit? We all know you're still a virgin, B ;)
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 30/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 30/12/2016(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2017 00:52:58(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: good god the vapors, this is that new school baby making music. like the kind of music you put on when you see your ex and give her that smirk.

OOC: good good lyrics, really one of those song that should be a real single in life. Play this when you want that make up, and put it down.

Brandon: Well damn it's good to know my music is baby-making worthy haha thanks for giving it a listen man I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

OOC: Thank you I'm really glad you liked the lyrics and I'm legit shocked at the fact that you think this could be a single irl like it's one of my faves but my writing ain't even close to some of the people on here thanks again though :P

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Deneil: Faaaam, you know this was one of my favourite tracks on the album. Glad you released it as a single, bruv. Getting Rum on the track was fucking killer too. Though what's the bit about grapefruit? That a reference that goes over my head, bruv? Grapefruit ain't good for shit, fam. Though we know this song is just straight up LIES though, innit? We all know you're still a virgin, B ;)

Brandon: Yeah this was everyone's favorite track on the album apparently and I'm sure getting Rum on it just upped that for everyone a little bit lol I'm sure you know the grapefruit reference by now been all over twitter I was freaked when I found out what it actually meant man lol and you can think what you want pal but that ship sailed a long, long, looooooooong thime ago ;) lol glad you liked the song man we gotta catch up soon get the last two relevant members of that ex project back together LOL
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 04/01/2017(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2017 05:32:53(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
AliyaRose: This is very very good! I'm really liking your music and having RUM on the remix made is even better. I'm living for the fruit line, even tho I regret googling it.
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 06/01/2017(UTC), kandii on 06/01/2017(UTC)