logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2017 13:32:41(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19292 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artists: Andrea Featuring Bilal Holmes
Title: Something For The Fire UserPostedImage
Genre: Alternative R&B
Length: 3:39
Writers: M.Fiori, B.Holmes, C.Hudson & A.Mason
Producers: XYZ
Label: Five Pesky Kids
Released: January 12th 2017
From The Album: Southern Belle

Something For The Fire is a song recorded by American singer/songwriter Andrea Mason, serving as her seventh official single overall. The song was originally written by Andrea Mason alongside friend and regular collaborator Christopher Hudson. British singer/songwriter and ex-husband of Mason's, Bilal Holmes was later brought into the project due to the deeply personal lyrics being expressed by Andrea. In-house songwriter Madeline Fiori also joined Hudson, Holmes and Mason to complete the song. Something For The Fire serves as the second single from Andrea's upcoming sophomore album, Southern Belle. This follows the huge gap, almost two full years, since the lead single "Force" was released. Mason states that the number one hit will still be featured on the album despite the delays due to undisclosed issues within the record label, Five Pesky Kids. Something For The Fire is Andrea's first official release since 2015. Since then she has been teasing new music and also launched her very own successful cosmetics company. The song features guest vocals from Bilal Holmes, which some have seen as a controversial decision due to their past. The single was released worldwide for digital download and online streaming on January 12th 2017 with Andrea only alluding to a release of a single mere minutes before it became available.

Lyrically, the song is one of Andrea's most autobiographical to date. Already known for pouring her heart out into her music, Andrea ventured even further into her emotions and really opened up to her fans and the entire world when deciding to write and release this song. It speaks about the relationship between Andrea and Billy, more so how Mason felt about Holmes at a particular point in time as well as her evaluating her life as she celebrates another birthday. The relationship between Mason and Holmes (then Khan) was highly publicised due to their volatile nature, public feuds and the constant accusations of domestic abuse. The pair never confirmed the violence in the relationship until the release of this song which sees Holmes admitting; "[...]black and blue[...]those shades remind me of all the shit I did to you". Andrea wrote this song reflecting on her 23rd birthday and although 24 now and in a happy relationship with rapper Payton Rodriguez, Mason still felt that the poignant memory of turning 23 needed to be shared.

"I am going to admit that my 23rd birthday was a fucking trainwreck. Even though I had this new look going on and everyone thought I was all invincible, badass and fierce, a lot of that was a mask. Only now am I truly happy and yes, I'm on fucking fire now...y'all know that. Back then, I had just met Payton and about to enter a new chapter in my life like for real...but I was still stuck in the past. I wouldn't say I was totally the same girl I was back in 2012. She was a pussy...like bin that bitch! I did...sometimes...still think of Billy though...what we had...how he had moved on. It hurt. I still loved him and I do still love him now. Obviously it's not the same way I used to but we changed each other's lives, we have a kid together, we were fucking Billy and Andrea. He was such an important part of my life and even though we were no longer together, he was still around. It was hard to get over. It was like dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit. He was there at the studio, at the label, in pictures around the house with Daniel, in my house to pick our boy up. I just had to look at my son and I'd see Billy. I think it hit me hard on that birthday because I realized that I was getting older, a far cry from the 19 year old that fell into that mess and yet I still wanted to be like that girl...I was mad at myself for not being as grown and "over it" as I really wanted to be. This song just recalls that time and the emotions are heightened in it because, you know, it was my birthday, I was all in my feelings, I had a few too many glasses of the good shit...y'all don't even know!"

Sonically, Something For The Fire can be classed as an alternative R&B song. It also draws inspiration from electronica music and incorporates elements from early 2000's R&B music. It was produced by XYZ and recorded in Pesky Studios in London. The original song was initially intended to be a piano driven ballad but upon revisiting the song, Christopher Hudson suggested to Andrea that they should turn the song on its head, bulk up the production and delivery to do the raw lyrics justice and he even went on to suggest that Bilal should be involved in the song. Hesitant at first, both Mason and Holmes agreed to work on the track together to "take it to the next level". Originally, Bilal only agreed to record a verse and the hook but soon found himself rewriting his portion of the track as he felt like it needed his "true" voice and lyricism on it if they wanted the track to sound authentic.

"Billy...you know, we have our ups and downs. It's the weirdest friendship out there but at the end of the day, we have each other's backs and he eventually agreed to do the song. I think it freaked him out at first but I had to reassure him that this is not a reflection of how I feel now and he has always said that honesty is the best policy. He gets to say what's on his mind all the time so why couldn't I? It was weird working on the song at first...brought back a lot of old memories and at first I thought I had made a huge mistake. I was worried that I'd go back to that dark place but eventually I got over that, we both enjoyed it and it was really therapeutic. He sounds amazing on it as usual. I think that B is one of the greatest vocalists around and our past aside, I could never deny his talents. The hard part now is actually dropping the track. We worked through a bunch of shit, admitted to things we never thought we would, finally spoke out on subjects that were speculated about for years...and now people are finally gonna hear it. It's like finally ripping off that band aid. We're both cool with it, I've played it for Payton, Billy's played it for Jerry, it's all had the thumbs up. Now it's time for everyone else to hear it and have their say...and I'm ready for y'all."

Andrea
Bilal
Both

Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire

I keep all of your pictures in this scrapbook
There's still a frame around us on my wall
Holding on, locking you up like the bottle of my birthday perfume
It's not just me though, you're everyone's favorite poster boy
Still saving pennies in my pocket to support your dreams
We're long gone now but remnants keep lingering
Would be lying if I said I don't miss all the screams
I can't keep doing this to myself, always want a repeat

You'd think that I'd change, now another year older
I still look back, hoping to see you over my shoulder
I'd keep my love in my heart and my enemies behind my back
But I like you sneaking up, you were always so good at that

23 candles to blow out and with each one, you're still my wish
Don't wanna grow up, fuck responsibilities, want your skin on my lips
Seen things I never thought I would back at 15
You showed me things beyond my wildest teenage dreams
23 years down and I'm still terrified, looking at those golden eyes
Don't want them to fade to grey or get lost in the blurry lines
Candles still to burn, should wish for tomorrow to be bright
But I call out to you through the flames, adding something for the fire

Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire

Your heart slows down like a train rolling into the station
The comedown is so fucking real, scribbled down this frustration
Good man by your side so why are you still empty and craving?
Kinda like the way I get when I'm low on medication
I cry in the mirror, tell myself that everything will be fine
I'm not even in the city yet I'm still fucking with your mind
Always think about that day when you were dressed in white
What happened to the girl and the Prince Charming on her side?

You'd think that I'd wisen up, now another year older
Can't even cut you off 'cause you like it when I'm colder
You should keep your love in your heart and enemies at the back
I won't be sneaking up, trust me, you won't be wanting that

Do you know that you're still running around in my mind?
Do you ever think about the times when you were mine?

I try to forget it, just puff out my lungs black and blue
But even those shades remind me of all the shit I did to you

Forget it, I wore that shit like my favorite tattoo
You don't really know me like you think you do

Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Oh, whoa, oh, oh
Something for the fire

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 20 February 2019 08:20:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 12/01/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 12/01/2017(UTC), erich hess on 12/01/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 12/01/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 12/01/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 12/01/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 13/01/2017(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 15/01/2017(UTC), TishaJackson!!!! on 19/01/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 19/01/2017(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2017 14:52:37(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica: well this is an odd collaboration. I guess I'm happy they are bigger people then I. There is no way I'd ever collab with an ex. It's just too personal to have those old feelings there. I guess that is also what makes this so good. Yet...I don't like it. It's too close to someone I know. And speaking of people I know....Seriously,what the fuck?! Those stories were true?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 12/01/2017(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2017 02:28:28(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6113 time(s) in 2662 post(s)
Chris: ooooo. I'm going to say that this was very mature to have a collaboration like this. I know I would be too childish to do something like this expecially with lyrics like this I would be mean for no reason just so there will be no confusion, this is just a song, fuck you. Still it was a nice song and they do have chemistry

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 13/01/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2017 22:09:18(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: well this is an odd collaboration. I guess I'm happy they are bigger people then I. There is no way I'd ever collab with an ex. It's just too personal to have those old feelings there. I guess that is also what makes this so good. Yet...I don't like it. It's too close to someone I know. And speaking of people I know....Seriously,what the fuck?! Those stories were true?

Andrea: i honestly couldn't think of anyone better than billy...sorry "bilal" to join me on such a personal track. there are some exes i would never collaborate with either. hell, there are some i wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. billy and i have been through so much though and we respect each other as artists. yeah, shit happens in life but we're both over it, we're stronger, we've put it behind us and made a fucking killer song out of it. go buy it! xx
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 18/01/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2017 22:22:25(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: ooooo. I'm going to say that this was very mature to have a collaboration like this. I know I would be too childish to do something like this expecially with lyrics like this I would be mean for no reason just so there will be no confusion, this is just a song, fuck you. Still it was a nice song and they do have chemistry

Andrea: we know exactly what happened and what we got going on. we've dealt with that shit and focused solely on the art and the music. turned out to be total FIRE, right? i highly respect billy as a vocalist and an artist. what we both are is honest. honest to a fault. i'm glad you enjoy the lyricism as it really is raw and us getting REAL things off of our chests. oh and mature??! hun, that's the first time i've ever been described as mature. thanks bby 😂 xx
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 19/01/2017(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2017 06:51:10(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
Tisha: Look at Andrea all grow'd up. I see you.

OOC: Really good job with the RP and cover art
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/01/2017(UTC)
Offline JohnnyBBB  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2017 23:23:40(UTC)
JohnnyBBB

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 1727 time(s) in 443 post(s)
Johnny Carter: First of all, I'm really excited that you are back and can't wait to listen to the whole album! Secondly, the song is so personal like you made me connect with you and feel you! A great collaboration between two amazing artists! The best thing you can do to overcome smth from your past is to face it and not be afraid of it! You go girl!
thanks 1 user thanked JohnnyBBB for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 20/01/2017(UTC)