logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2017 04:18:21(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage

"Singing was definitely something I used to do for fun. After everything that's happened though, I've become really passionate about it."

The voice over fades out as Dakota Sanchez is shown sitting pretty in front of a microphone with a pair of headphones over her ears and a flirty look in her eyes. She's wearing a red and black cheetah print blazer with a white shirt that cuts off just below her chest underneath it. Her lips are glossed to the gods and her jewelry is plentiful, the accessories giving her look a tribal touch. "5..4..3..2.." She quietly counts down to the beginning of her debut single, "Sunkissed". She begins to sing almost immediately in her rich, husky tone.

Burn baby, burn
Damn right, it hurts
Who actually wants to play it safe?
Lick your lips and stare
Touch it, if you dare
But try to hold me and you're just plain insane

No one man can handle the exposure, exposure
I pull away, they beg me to come closer and closer
Try to warn them but they're slower than molasses, tragic
Everything I touch it turns to ashes

A kiss like this hurts so bad, you really shouldn’t let me in
A kiss like this hurts so good, it’ll creep right under your skin
It’s dangerous, contagious, you’ll want to do it again
With a kiss like that, I try to step back but somebody always wants a hit (MUAH!)
It’s my narrative, I’m the executive, and I’m oh so selective about who gets written in
But catch me in the moonlight on the right night, and you just might get sun-kissed (MUAH!)

The acoustic version obviously provides a different take on the synth-filled radio single. "Sunkissed" steps away from the groovy dark pop dance spell for a new, softer instrumental. With delicate piano chords, a clap of Dakota's hands and a very shy tambourine, the song gets a complete makeover, Dakota's live vocals sounding even deeper without all the pitch correction. The song is barely three minutes long so she breezes through the first verse with ease before the singing fades out and the voice over continues.

"Sunkissed was written after all of the tracks on the first version of Sunflower. At the time, we only had the chorus and even though the chorus was already miles better than like... anything I've recorded, the song wasn't finished in time and therefore, it didn't make the cut. That's one of the bittersweet things about being shelved for absolutely no fucking reason, there wasn't much effort put behind my singing career at first. I would've literally just been a Soundcloud artist for a month and then moved on to the next thing. Kinda glad that I didn't do that. Pissed, yes! But.. not as resentful as I used to be."

"'No one man can handle the exposure'?? It's so me, my god. Those rumors of Dakota being a slut? ALL FAKE. I've been lying on Twitter in an attempt to make myself look bad for years. Very sad! The truth is, I have lots of love to go around and it's just plain selfish to waste it all on just one man. That and I'm a bitch. I admit I can be a little.." Dakota flips her hair and takes in a gentle breath. "much, with my larger than life essence. That's what 'Sunkissed' is all about! All of the girls worth mentioning have that extra serving of crazy. It's our best trait."

By the time Dakota is done singing the chorus for the second time, the voice over fades out once again and suddenly we can see and hear her performing the acoustic version of 'Sunkissed'. Right now, she's at the bridge, singing over isolated soft keys, before quickly transitioning back into the chorus.

Try to warn them but they're slower than molasses, tragic
Everything I touch it turns to..
Ashes to ashes
Lust to love
(MUAH!)

A kiss like this hurts so bad, you really shouldn’t let me in
A kiss like this hurts so good, it’ll creep right under your skin
It’s dangerous, contagious, Ms. Don't Tell Your Friends!
With a kiss like that, I try to step back but somebody always wants a hit (MUAH!)
It’s my narrative, I’m the executive, and I’m oh so selective about who gets written in
But catch me in the moonlight on the right night, and you just might get sun-kissed (MUAH!)

Before you know it, the song is over, feeling as if it should be longer but still managing to leave a pleasant impression. Dakota's voice over begins to speak again.

"Someone told me once that no matter how crazy you are, you have to remember there's always someone out there who is much crazier. It made me think about how as tall and tough as I am, there was always someone taller and tougher than me. I hate it so much. There's someone like that in everyone's life, someone who reminds all of us that no matter how far we've come, our life is still limited. For me, it was my mom. She always made me feel smaller and I always aimed to be bigger. It took for me to actually be the bigger person to decide that I needed to cut people who made me feel as if I wasn't enough out of my life. That was the concept of 'Teach Me'. Knowing that you have to put your pride aside and be the bigger person...I absolutely hate feeling that way. It's like admitting defeat.

'Teach Me' begins as soon as Dakota is done talking, the slower midtempo song introducing itself with layered, raspy background vocals. They quietly sing the chorus of the song and Dakota follows right after, her voice taking a much more soulful approach on this performance. The instrumental is even more minimalist than the acoustic version of 'Sunkissed', all that accompanies her voice in the performance being the sonorous strumming of an acoustic guitar.

Around you, I'm out of my element
I'm walking on eggshells, you never watch where you're stepping
The mouse to your elephant
Subjected to your, "to hell with it"
Damn
I've never felt so small

Today, I'm gonna put on the heels that make me feel 6 foot 5
Now that I've stopped looking up to you tell me you'll respect me this time
A tooth for a tooth but I want us to see eye to eye eventually
You never learned how to put your pride aside, how did you teach me?

Damn
I've never felt so small

Damn
I've never felt so small

During the chorus she sways a little, clapping as the background vocals sing for her. Every now and then she'd lean back over to her microphone an ad-lib a few runs over the beat, showing just how much she's feeling this song. Once Dakota starts singing the second verse, it's like you can feel her pain. It's clear that she holds this song dear to her, everything about this one seeming much more passionate than her radio attempt, 'Sunkissed'.

Today, I'm gonna put on the stilts that make me feel 10 foot 4
Next time you ask me for space, I swear to god, I'm gonna ask for more
What is all this fighting for if we both know you're just gonna leave?
You never even learned how to put your pride aside, how the fuck did you teach me?

Damn
I've never felt so small

Damn
I've never felt so small

Yet another short song, 'Teach Me' ends with a few haunting hums from Dakota. The voice over fades back inover footage of Dakota smiling and waving at the camera, thanking VEVO for having her.

"As an actress, it's my job to display the character's feelings and as a model, it's my job to display how the product makes me feel. But as a singer?.. I don't have to fabricate anything or even try too hard to bring any emotion up. As a singer, I'm allowed to express what I actually feel and I think that's what's been drawing me to music right now. I didn't expect for recording a song or two to have this big of an impact me, I'm really shook. I've taken up a lot of hobbies, but none of them has captured me like this before. Music is magical and I think I'm really starting to love it's mysterious ways.

Edited by user 01 April 2017 04:28:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 01/04/2017(UTC), C4AJoh on 01/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 01/04/2017(UTC), BrownSugar on 01/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 01/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 01/04/2017(UTC)