logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2017 06:21:08(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Track: A Hoe Never Gets Cold
Artist: Aikya Balan
Genre: Electropop, Synthpop
Label: Tric-Jam, Studio60 Records
Written by: Aikya Ishani Balan, Yasmin(e) Kiambang, Nina "Rum" Tarantino
Produced by: inZane, FancyN
Length: 3:53

A Hoe Never Gets Cold is a song recorded by the Indian-American singer Aikya Ishani Balan. The song was written by Balan herself with the assistance of Yasmin(e) Kiambang and Nina Tarantino who also had a part in in the production alongside inZane. The song serves as the lead single from Aikya Balan's extended play, "30 Silver Coins", the follow up to her critically acclaimed debut album, "Out Of Sight, Still In Mind".

On Twitter in February of 2016, Aikya Balan had announced "30 Silver Coins" as her then pending debut album, one that she claimed would be ready by April 2016. It was well on it's way to becoming the album that Aikya Balan wanted to release, the singer writing hit single "Can You Hear Me Now?", album opener "I Shut You Out", and future soundtrack song, "You Said" around this time. What shifted Aikya's focus from "30 Silver Coins" to "Out of Sight, Still in Mind" was losing a song she considered important to the project, causing her to give up on her music as a whole for a few months. A year later, "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" was released to the public, going 2x Platinum in 4 months. For these 4 months Aikya Balan stayed relatively quiet, figuring out what her next step was in music. "I've released so many singles that I've lost count. It was always fun, watching people talk about the song all month, and I knew it was really good if the buzz lasted longer for more than one. It was the perfect format for me at the time, eventually people would stop talking about it and I looked forward to that, because I could be famous on my own terms and go right back into hiding. I've always looked at albums as a huge responsibility, you couldn't just abandon one of those, and that's why I was always scared to release one. After I did though, I realized that I wanted to do it again, over and over. Everybody loved the album and people immediately respected my work a lot more. I've never gotten so much positive feedback before and to this day, people still argue about what tracks they think are best. It was all so exciting that I had the sudden urge to write and record a whole new album, but unfortunately albums are responsibility and you can't just release one every few months. '30 Silver Coins' is my way of compromising, I have so much more music to share with the world and all of the support has convinced me to not be so stingy with it anymore." When asked why she chose the cryptically titled "A Hoe Never Gets Cold" as the lead single for the side project, she responded, "The concept of '30 Silver Coins' is taking on the role of Judas, except against myself. I write about different ways that I play myself on a daily basis but that's just scratching the surface. The deeper meaning of the songs are kind of introspective, the project is basically me calling myself a snake because I'm exposing myself...Very vain...EXTREMELY vain. On 'A Hoe Never Gets Cold', I'm singing to some dumbass who thought loving me was a good idea, but I'm simultaneously calling myself out for sucking at relationships and not having the capacity to be comfortable with the idea of someone else loving me. That's such a huge problem I have, and I really like the name so naturally, I wanted to shove it down everyone's throat." The song was released worldwide for digital download on April 7th, 2017 and it impacted Pop and Rhythmic radio on April 9th, 2017.

A picture of Aikya Balan with model Ruby Aldrige posing in the middle of a blizzard in bikinis captioned, "A hoe never gets cold." This Instagram post is what inspired the single from Balan.

"A Hoe Never Gets Cold" is surprisingly one of Aikya Balan's biggest pop efforts yet, only second to her previous standalone single, "Can You Hear Me Now?" featuring Korean-Pop rapper Miki Lee. However, "A Hoe Never Gets Cold" doesn't feel like a blatant radio hit like the uninspired "Can You Hear Me Now?" did, the song is a throwback banger that’s as bright, sparkly, and nostalgic as roll-on body glitter from the 90s. Some might even say it exudes the lightness of 80's pop, equally feeling like something that you could find on Drive's soundtrack. Either way, Aikya takes us back in time with one of her heaviest songs yet, telling her lover no offense but "I couldn't need you if I wanted to". The verses are sung with deep bemusement of herself and the pre-hooks are slicked back with cowardliness but the choruses take a biblical turn with nods from Revelations, specifically what is referred to as The Sixth Seal: Terror. Fitting, as the whole song is built on Balan's fear of hurting the person she just can't need.

The Bible lol wrote:
"..and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. The heavens receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place. Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and everyone else, both slave and free, hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can withstand it?"

Despite being written with oddly alluring lyrics, the song's title doesn't borrow from any of them. When asked why she decided to name the single, "A Hoe Never Gets Cold", Aikya Balan was happy to explain it's purpose. "When I posted that one picture on Instagram with me and Ruby Aldrige and captioned it 'a hoe never gets cold' I was deeply inspired. I wrote the song with the name already in mind so while initially, I was only speaking on how hoe fashion is a way of life and no snowstorm can get in the way of that, it slowly morphed into an anthem of as a lifelong hoe, I'm never alone so in the physical sense, I'm never cold. And also just as myself who feels bad about my inability to really connect with a person on a deeper level because I'm a hoe, I never really mean it when I do someone dirty, so I'm never cold in the emotional sense. I don't know, there's a million ways to look at it really, I like to leave my stuff really cryptic and vague so people are able to interpret it in many different ways."

Aikya Balan

I'm jealous when you get mad
You know who to point your anger at
My fingers always break, bend, and curve
All I know is we all got hurt
I'm zealous when it serves me
Never meant to be so deserting
Laughed it off and you looked at me like a heathen
I was just trying to show you I didn't mean it

Know you hate wasting your time
You need to stop thinking twice
I melt when I see you living right
You're better off with better
I really hate wasting your time
You hit me up like all the time
Only want you on my timing

Stars could fall and the earth could rece-e-ede
Don't worry about me
I wouldn't need you
Mountains could move and the hills could sha-a-ake
That wouldn't change a thang
I couldn't need you
Pull the trigger first (The earth could recede)
I'll pretend I'm hurt (The hills could shake)
Too lazy to find nicer words (That wouldn't change a thang)
I just can't need you
Pull the trigger first (Mountains could move)
Please, pull the trigger first (Stars could fall)
You don't deserve the hurt (Wont change nothing at all)
I just can't need you

I'm hellacious and I know it
Either salacious or indifferent
Try so hard not to use people and love things
But it's almost like you let me
Me, I'm a passive breed of Judas
And you, you're so hopeful and hopeless
I involve you because I know I'll blame myself
Your naïveté really thinks love will help

Don't you hate wasting your time?
You need to stop thinking twice
I melt when I see you living right
Low-key wish I could do that too
I really hate wasting your time
You hit me up like all the time
I don't even know what I want, ooh

Stars could fall and the earth could rece-e-ede
Don't worry about me
I wouldn't need you
Mountains could move and the hills could sha-a-ake
That wouldn't change a thang
I couldn't need you
I just can't need you
I just can't need you

I couldn't need you if I wanted to
Stars could fall
And I'd ask them to fall on me
Then, I could really hide
I don't wanna have to face you
If you just pulled the trigger first
I wouldn't have to feel my own wrath
Confronting you means confronting me
Guess I'll just wait it out

I just can't need you
I just can't need you
I just can't need you
I just can't need you

I just can't need you

Edited by user 08 April 2017 10:45:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/04/2017(UTC), freestylechamp on 08/04/2017(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 08/04/2017(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 08/04/2017(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/04/2017(UTC), Welat65 on 09/04/2017(UTC), Atonic Records on 14/04/2017(UTC), erich hess on 14/04/2017(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2017 11:40:16(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19291 time(s) in 7677 post(s)
Sayyid: You did it again, Ms Balan. I absolutely adore your artistry and this is another gem in an already fine and glistening collection. One would hear the title and conjure up all sorts of ideas regarding what the song must be about and most folk would assume it's a disposable "hoe anthem"...did I really just say those words? I love how it's more than that, though. In fact, there are many ways to interpret the song and I absolutely love that. You are a Grade A lyricist. I still have your album on repeat and I can't wait for 30 Silver Coins. Still waiting on that vinyl though...
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 14/04/2017(UTC)