logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2020 12:46:19(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

UserPostedImage

Music Box: Stephanie Fierce + Live Debut of "Spirits" [Episode 1]

We open up the music box which unveils the artist's top 7 songs from their entire catalog at the moment; while we discuss those song we also interview the artist on their latest projects.

INTERVIEW + TOP 7

Q: How do you feel right now?

Stephanie Fierce: I feel healthy and almost healed is what I can say. I feel really excited to have a new album coming out and just being able to have the opportunity to do what I do.

7. Love Feels Like Grenades feat. GirlSpice (2009) (Soundalike: None)

"I miss these girls so much. What I loved about GirlSpice is that they were the childhood pop act that I looked up to. Nadia Berry was my favorite girl and is someone that really took me under her wing when literally and I mean literally no one accepted me or wanted to even listen to any of my ideas or records. I will never forget that and I will never forget this song. After going on tour I wrote "Love Feels Like Grenades". A pop act writing her own song was unheard of in those days but I took the risk of writing my own pop song without the support of a label or a team of writers. Seeing the song go #1 and win me an award as credited songwriter was huge for me and for pop music not to toot my own horn".

Q: You announced that you and Johnny after 10 years of marriage are no longer married. I'm really sorry to hear that must of been hard for you to announce.

Stephanie Fierce: It really was not because of the divorce itself but just how it would impact my close friends and family because people knew that me and Johnny weren't in the best of terms the last years of our marriage but no one really thought we would both make the decision because of the history we have together. I think it's important to be transparant because I'm a human being and I felt like I was hiding this big secret that was just eating me alive. I just had to let it be so that I can get the closure I needed to finally move on. Me and him are still amazing friends and we have such a wonderful life with our daughter; the transition was as natural as any parent would want it to be. I'm fortunate and lucky enough to say that but of course no one gets a divorce for the fun of it. There are things that I'm hurt about but it's just natual to feel the way I feel. I have to deal with it but make the best of it at the same time.

6. Bless Me (2014) (Soundalike: Daughter: Home)

"Crazy thing about this song is that even though it's very indie rock it has this sexy undertone to it and I think that's why I loved it so much when I released it. I guess with this song I was more experimenting with my voice because it was very laid back and there's no signs of high notes being used, it was more about the feeling the instruments give you with the laid back vocals. It was something completely different from what I've done before at that time and people really enjoyed it. I personally feel this song is one of my favorites to perform live because of the way it makes people feel in the audience".

Q: Your new documentary "2020 Vision" was just released on to Netflix and it unvieled some pretty dark moments for you. Did you ever think that sharing those deep personal moments would be hard and what allowed you to open up and be so vulnerable in front of the cameras?

Stephanie Fierce: I'm a human being but I'm also an artist. I express my emotions through my art no matter what type of emotion it is. So I think that for someone who's been in the spotlight I always feel the need to share a part of me to the world. . This however was an approach I have never taken. I think for me I was trying to create a reflection of what my real life looks like not the one the media and my fans may percieve through social media and magazines. No one forced me with a gun to do this documentary but I did at some points needed moral support from my friends and family because at some points I felt it was too much and I didn't want those tough moments documented because they just felt too personal and weird to share.

#5. Hot Shot feat. The Rockers (2007-2009) (Demo + Single Version ft. The Rockers) (Soundalike: None)

"Not my first song released but this was my first commercial single that had a radio release with all the bells and whistles. What I love about this song is that I created a short film music video for it and I really went all out with the release. Something no one was doing at that time. I really took inspiration from Michael Jackson's approach on making a music videos an event versusjust some standard "hey look at me I'm at the club shaking my ass" that other pop stars were doing at that time. I had 50,000 dollars as budget to make everything work and I literally had to think outside the box to make it work and my label at the time didn't think it was going to work they wanted me to take a more laid back approach with the video. Then the song became the first song to debut at #1 as a first single from any new artist and then they were like ok Stephanie do whatever the hell you want. It definitetly caused some conversations to flare up with criticts who at the time labeled me as the "next Britney Spears". [Stephanie jokingly looks at the came and tils her head in dissapointment]

Q: You've been working so hard this year. Earlier this year you released a brand new album called "Lost in Electronica" which went #1 and also earned you the #1 hits "Evolve" and "Psycho Love". There's no doubt in the world that you had an amazing comeback. Being that you were gone for nearly 5 years did you expect that?

Stephanie Fierce: I'm honestly humbled that I'm still able to achieve that level of success so far into my career. I'm always shocked and humbled because getting a hit these days is all about "going viral" and I wasn't strategic with my releases at all. I was just like here you go; lets hope fo the best and the songs all hit #1. I did make a pop record so that was kind of the point to reach out to as many people as possible. However that doesn't validate anything for me. I honestly don't care about charts anymore. I don't plan to release songs for the charts for a long time so I'm not caught up in all of that right now. I want my fans to understand that and not get so caught up in the numbers. #1's are great but they mean absolutetly nothing to me now. If you are a new artist in the game I can see why you would try to achieve that and there's nothing wrong with that I support it all the way. It's cool to wake up and see your song #1 I would never forget that feeling when I was a new artist.

#4. Hunter (Bring on the Acid Rain) (2010) (Soundalike: None)

"They call me wildchild, I call them prey. Cause the sound my heart makes scares them away
Moving mountains, I'm out of my mind. Is this the reason why love is so difficult to find". I always love singing those lyrics because when I wrote them I was really hungry for love. Being a young lady at that time I was just writing with my heart. Something about that song everytime I sing it feels my spirit with desire for love and romance. It's one of my favorites for that reason and this song is from my third studio album which honestly I think is one of my most udnerrated albums".

Q: One thing that shocked fans and music criticts is that you opted yourself out from being nominated at the Fan Choice Awards; despite being a possible good contender to win an award. What brought you to that decision?

Stephanie Fierce: I originally was going to attend but scheduling got kind of crazy with filming. I think award shows are a fun way to celebrate music and show how hard we as muscicians work. I think people forget that at the end of the day we all work hard and not everything is a easy as it looks so it's good to have a night of celebration just dedicated to that. However, I feel like I've had my share of wins and what not; and I also wanted to see others shine. I didn't feel the need to participate especially if I wasn't going to be there. I'm ok with stepping back once in a while and let others celebrate their success. There's so much talent out there it's always enjoyable to see others win and be celebrated. I feel that everyone that won an award or was nominated deserved it and the performances watching back on it were so enjoyable. The creator of the show did a wonderful job!

#3. Dying in the Airwaves (2011) (Soundalike: Wye Oak: Fish)

"Long life gone, we are dying in the airwaves. This song was kind of me making a statement at the time because I had really seperated myself from the Pop Star Fierce persona in to a more serious muscian. I was killing the mainstream artist in me or at least trying to. It was kind of like me purposely shooting myself in the foot but it backfard because for some odd reason this fucking song made it #1 (laughs). Kind of cringe and melodramatic looking back on it. But really the song talks about death and just how scary it can be. You can have this great life and it can all be taken away in an instant with death. This album as a whole is just really dark and very depressing to listen to it. I don't mind playing it for my fans because they really enjoy it. It's really weird because today I'm not able to listen to it because it brings such dark pain and emotion from that time. My fans hate me for saying this now(laughs). They're like how dare you critize your best album because most of them collectively think and agree this is my best album but in my mind today I hate it."

Q: In your new documentary "2020 Vision" you also opened up about your battle with cancer. I know this a sensitive topic but you say you want to talk about it because you think it's important.

Stephanie Fierce: Yes you're absolutely correct. I did have my time where I kept it private because I didn't know where my life was heading. It was something that not only took me by surprise but also shook my world. My family and close friends were not prepared to hear this kind of news but it also put certain things into perspective. This was life's way of saying "here's some humble pie". The thing with cancer is that if you have it your goal is to accept it and almost let it be become something that isn't a crutch but more of something that you just have to deal with. Like some people have diabetes or asthma. They can't get rid of it but they just fight it. For me it's important that my fans know that I had it because it just shows you that cancer can happen to anyone. It's not something that anyone can just escape. I'm grateful to be alive and healthy but I know that one day it can come back and if it does I have to be prepared to battle it and that's ok. I don't want people to feel sorry for me I just want people to understand me.

Q: I know you say that life was like "this is some humble pie" but do you feel like you have to act like a saint because you've grown up and can no longer entertain feuds?

Stephanie Fierce: You know I don't think of it that way. Coming back into this I seperated all of my emotions and just focused on the music and releasing an album and just giving my fans something they had been requesting for the longest and that's a full fledged pop album! I noticed that no matter how mannered and nice you are there is always someone out there that's gonna try you and villanize you. As any human I made the mistake to entertain it but then again I also have to defend myself. If someone is lying on me I'm not going to allow that to happen I don't care who you are or what your title is. I give the same energy people give me and that's not out of holding a grudge its out of just keeping things balanced in respect to that energy you're giving. I don't care who stands in my corner. Because just like you don't owe me anything I don't owe you anything. While I'm humbled now and all of that I know my limits and I know when someone is coming at me way too sideways. . So I have to control my narrative and not put it in the hands of someone else. With this new album instead of creating a feud story with a certain artist people are expecting me to create what I did was create feud with myself. Stephy Fierce and Stephanie Fierce will go neck to neck at each other at some point of the album and someone dies. So we will find out. But with that being said I'm killing a part of myself that I feel today as a mature woman isn't really doing anything good for me. That part of me has been over and putting it to rest once and for all.

2. U and I = Suicide feat. Glamazon & Electrodeath (2012) (Soundalike: Bjork: Crystalline)

"Can you talk about a collaboration out of this world for me. This song was such a favorite of mine and I just love how bold these ladies were with me on this track. It's always fun when women actually support one another and create something cool together despite whatever creative differences they have. I have to say the breakdown which features a sick drum and bass edm flavored section from Throat Cutters is out of this world. Hearing it live is an experience. I just once again love how this song just really didn't follow the formula that many artists were doing at the time and somehow found its way to go #1 and be a killer single. A fun fact about this song is that GirlSpice were originally going to be on this record but I chose to go with Electrodeath because I wanted to work with someone I never worked before. Glamazon was so bad ass on this record too".

Q: Your new album "Royal Sex Stories" is coming out very soon. You've been throwing fans hints on what direction the record is taking and it's all so very exciting. What is the inspiration behind this album?

Stephanie Fierce: This album has been a pain in my ass (laughs). "Lost" was an incredibly easy album to create because it was one aesthetic which was future disco meets current pop. This album however is literally a carvation of almost everything I've done with each album all packed into one which created so many challenges from a sonic stand point. In terms of the album being cohesive I had to really pay really close attention to detail and make the tracks flow in a way where a story is told and the listener doesn't feel lost. I was really just inspired by my journey. It all kind of feels like a really good sex dream is how I describe it. I think this album just kind of ties everything together. It's kind of like a farewell almost but I never want to say that this would be my last record because no one really knows; not even me.

1. Life's Good feat. Ryan Ross Hernandez (2012) (Soundalike: None/ Contains sample of "War" by Edwin Starr)

"This song was such a fun record.After releasing such a dark record like "Free" I wanted to create an album that was more soulful and even country inspired. It's kind of funny because me and Ryan have taken digs at each other in past interviews but we put our differences aside for this one song and honestly having him sing along on the hook with me was something that no one expected at the time. This was the second time we had worked together but we were both in such different spaces in our career so I definitetly respect him for stepping out of his element to join me on this record. This song also contains a sample of Edwin Starr's "War" which was the first and only time I ever used a sample. I've always stated in the recording studio that sampling is almost like cheating your way to create a song. I'm not a huge fan of sampling for that reason but with this song it was just an organic thing that happened. I don't think I have any regrets as far as that goes but I'll probably never do a sample again. Funny story is I would actually play "War" by Edwin Starr before each chemo therapy session as a way to pump myself up (laughs). Also one can't forget the scene from Rush Hour where this song plays ".

BONUS MATERIAL

UserPostedImage

"Spirits" (Live Version) Written and Produced by Stephanie Fierce.
Lyrics as sung by the Live Version/Song taken from the new album "Royal Sex Stories".

Live Band (Musix Box Arrangement):
Lead vocals and guitar by Stephanie Fierce.
Drums by Robert Wilson.
Guitar by Thomas Fields.
Bass and back up vocals by Lucas Angelo.
Keyboard and Back Up Vocals by Tanya Rodriguez.

In a small cozy room filled with bright lights and instruments Fierce is seen sitting down on a stool with a mic in front her and eager band behind her ready to play the premiere of "Spirits". A song that talks about after life of a divorced partner who haunts their ex husband as a symbol of their vengance. In wake of the news that Fierce had cancer; the song is written in future tnese as if she was already dead.

"My ex-husband would joke that I once we seperated I would haunt him in his sleep or in his dreams. So I decided to write a lighthearted song about it. He knows this song is joke but I still feel that this song may speak to anyone who feels they have are heartbroken and may feel a little vengeful because of it. Ladies...men it's ok to feel like that sometimes. When I sing this song I only get emotional because it puts me in a place that I feel is almost vengeful but theraputic it's not something I really wish but something I metaphoracially sing. So here is Spirits"

Stephanie adjusts herself in the stool and closes her eyes as she sings.

[Guitar plays]

"Pure, had me when I was pure
with no venom in my blood
clean as a virgin's mind
lost in it like I was blind
Now that I'm dead
you can go and find
the lady of your dreams
at least that's what it seems
to me....
I know I can't bring you anymore pain
So I will let my love haunt you
like you're trying to escape the rain
my tears will rush down on you
your life will never be the same
after all the money and the fame
You've only got yourself to blame
when I'm dead
I'll still be there
haunting you
You've only got yourself to blame

[Guitar plays with Bass and soft drums]

Pain
Why does it feel so plain
Like a body with no vains
a smell with no remains
a lady without a brain
Til death do us part
you thought heartbreak would inspire you new art
Now you're just torn apart
but we've run out of restarts
what's done is done
and even though im gone...
I'll still be there...haunting you
Even though im gone
My Spirits Dancing in your room haunting you love

[Guitar Break and soft drums]

[Guitar and drum start to settle; Short Pause]

[Vocalizing break with backing band begins; drums, guitar, bass and keyboard]

Spirits.
Dancing in your room.
Ashes Fall.
Spirits
Dancing.
In your.
Room.
Ashes fall.
Spirits.
Dancing in yoru room
Ashes fall.
[Vocalizing break and band grow stronger in sound]
Spirits dancing while ashes fall on you.
[ Tears start to fall on Fierce's face as she continues singing]
Spirits dancing while ashes fall on you
Spirits dancing while ashes fall on you
Spirits, ashes fall."

[Fierce lets out a short smile and then looks down and says a soft "Thank you" as the camera fades out].

thanks 5 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
2001clay on 12/09/2020(UTC), freestylechamp on 12/09/2020(UTC), erich hess on 12/09/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 12/09/2020(UTC), FiveT on 15/09/2020(UTC)