logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2021 05:24:02(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

DANIEL THE FREENERD; NME RADIO; 7/23/21

"Artist, producer, and CEO of Freenerd Management sits down with NME radio to talk about music, childhood, new tour, new album & more".

Welcome to NME radio; we are now on air with Daniel The Freenerd.

NME: Daniel The Freenerd; we're so excited to have you here. Mainly because the last interview you ever did was nearly 7 years ago. That's a freakishly long time! Do you realize how annoyed your fans must be with you?

Daniel: It's been 7 years? Oopsie (laughs) I have those? wow! I sometimes forget that I'm a "celebrity". I know I troll a lot on twitter about how poor I am today and I have no fans, but I really don't like to get a thrill off that kind of thing. It doesn't do your mind good you know. I'll be honest though, in no way to disrespect your field or industry, I don't find radio interviews to be exciting most times because there's nothing more annoying then hearing myself talk but lets look at the positives. I feel that interviews are a helpful way to kind of talk about things in your life. Sort of like therapy for celebrities. So at times, I just give in to that idea, which I'm doing right now. This is the only interview you're gonna get from me for a long time, so take advantage of me while you can.

NME: We don't fault you for it at all man I mean we understand that completely. Interviews aren't easy! But before we get started, how are you feeling? I know it has not been the easiest last few months for you. There are so many personal questions we can ask you but we want you to drive us there.

Daniel: I don't think there's a word in the dictionary that can describe how I'm feeling (laughs). I mean I feel like my life is now an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit with a splash of MTV "Punkd". If it's not one thing it's the other, I'm just trying to keep myself centered and let music be my therapy of distraction. Everything that has happened in the media I can't talk about yet, so I say lets keep this interview focused on the music if we can but I'll let you ask the questions my friend I'm not very good at these things.

NME: That's fair. Well I have a random question that I've always wondered. Where did the Daniel "The Free Nerd" come about? that is such a weird but interesting name to call yourself! You have to admit.

Daniel: (laughs) You know I'll be honest with you and I hate to admit this but I was such a nerdy kid. The only period in my life when I wasn't was during elementary and middle school because I was in an awkward phase of my life. I used to hate seeing people fail their exams or just struggle with their studies; so I would help them out with their homework and things like that. It was kind of a thing I was known for in High School and back then I didn't realize that people just kind of took advantage of me and used me for my services. I was the nerdy geeky kid everyone made fun of because I was so into my schooling. I definitely outgrew that in High School by senior year but the name just kind of came from that. I thought Daniel The Freenerd just sounded kind of catchy; especially since it did have a back story.

NME: Wow! Well that's not the story we were expecting (laughs) So you truly were a nerdy kid?

Daniel: I was most definitely nerdy. However I was one of those nerdy kids that turned popular in High school and I truly don't understand how that happened. My first girlfriend in high school was actually in the cheerleading team and she was like one of the hottest girls in school.

NME: Wait, so did you guys ever? You know...

Daniel: I can't say what we did (laughs) I just can't. I don't want to be disrespectful to that Queen but at that time I was a different person. If I could go back I probably would have done things differently. I didn't know or want to admit that I liked boys then and I was kind of confused. Let's just leave it at that (laughs). Which is also odd because I came out to my mom at age 16 and even then I was still in denial.

NME: It's always interesting hearing about a celebrities' life in high school. So wait, according to our report you were born in the beautiful island of San Juan, Puerto Rico but on your father's side your Grandma is from Korea? We have so many questions! First let's start with Puero Rico. How was your life like in Puerto Rico? What caused you to move to the states? Where you like already a native English speaker?

Daniel: I have Korean heritage, but I'm not familiar with that culture and I'll probably discuss that later on. Moving...... I had no choice in that, but yes I'm actually from Rio Piedras, which is in San Juan. If you are truly from San Juan Puerto Rico, you don't just say San Juan (laughs). San Juan is nothing but a tourist place that sells Puerto Rico for its rich history but no one actually says they are from there unless you are wealthy or something. But yes I was born and raised there til I was like 9. I did not know a word of English even though they say in textbooks that they teach us English, that is complete bullshit. The only way you truly learn English in Puerto Rico is if you go to a private school that you pay a pretty penny for, us poor public school kids don't have the luxury of learning another language. I knew basic words like Hello and Goodbye, but I couldn't possibly carry a conversation in English coming to the states. My mom moved us to the states for a better life. I was raised in the hood, where people would bathe in plastic trash cans during hurricane season and we did not have central air or AC. Where I lived the police were scared to come if they were called because they would end up either dead or injured severely. We had our own form of police, which were gangs. That kind of lifestyle really makes you feel like you will be a statistic yourself, so my mom took the little she had and moved us to Orlando. That transitioning period was not easy at all because I has to leave all of my close friends, who I thought I was going to share birthdays, graduations and other things normal kids share. Also I didn't know any English so, I developed social anxiety because I had hard time communicating with people. It just wasn't an easy transition but I managed and I quickly learned how to stand on my on two feet. My mother was always working late nights to make sure we were fed and had a roof over our heads, so I had to learn how to be a parent at the age of 9 to take care of my brothers and sister. My father was never in my life; which is also why I'm not familiar with my Korean heritage. This is all getting so dark, so I'd like to bring a positive vibe into this and say moving to the states definitely opened up my creative capacity with music.

NME: How did you deal with all of these changes? What was your coping mechanism?

Daniel: Everyone has a story I'm not trying to act like I'm the only person in this world that suffered something traumatic but I'm just sharing my piece but to be honest with you, my coping mechanism was music. As cliché as that sounds but to be more specific I also joined this crazy forum place because I was just a curious little thing and also because I loved music and that place just kind of became my escape but I can't talk about that, that's almost like an alternative universe or something like that, but truly it was music. Writing songs, studying pop culture, being a fan, instruments, dance, the arts all of that became my coping mechanisms. I know growing up I was listening to music that no one in my family or circle of friends would like. I knew I was different in that aspect. While my family was jamming to some Reggaetón, Salsa and Merengue, I was crying my eyes out to Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. I was considered emo because of that but my family didn't understand that I had and ear for other types of music. It always made me feel like an outcast.

NME: So even though you came from a Hispanic background where all that was played was Reggaetón and maybe other forms of Spanish music; you were listening to The Verve?

Daniel: Yes, but I was more of a mixed bag when it came to music. I loved pop music! Definitely a lot more when I was younger. Like I'm talking Britney Spears, one of my first albums I bought was her album. I always wonder how my mom did not figure out I was gay but that's a whole different story for another time. She probably did to be honest (laughs) Dancing to pop music brought so much joy and literally would cure my depression. Just feeling happy for at least 4 minutes when the song played was such a healing moment for me. I kind of despise it now which is ironic but my love for pop music will always remain somewhere. But I was also listening to Bjork, Muse and many other artists who have shaped who I am today. I think being boxed in by my own family in order to honor my heritage was difficult. I was made fun of because of it which sucked looking back. I broke out of that on my own and I'm grateful I was fearless enough to do that. I can't imagine myself as a Reggaetón rapper today (laughs) I would fucking die.

NME: Now that we've gotten to know a bit about your past. What was that moment that made you realize that you wanted to do this? All of this that you are doing today?

Daniel: I fucking don't have a clue (laughs) I'm still trying to figure that out, why am I still doing this? I don't know.

This is NME radio, and we are now taking a break and Daniel will be right back with us.

Edited by user 28 July 2021 09:39:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
chaotic_princess on 24/07/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 24/07/2021(UTC), erich hess on 24/07/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 24/07/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 24/07/2021(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2021 09:44:06(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Part 2/3

UserPostedImage

NME: Thank you for listening to NME radio; The record you just heard is called "Architect" and we are back with the person who sung it; Daniel The Freenerd! Daniel, how does it feel hearing that record right now?

Daniel: It's always weird listening to my own records, especially in front of other people but I had fun recording "Architect"; I was definitely in a different head space artistically. It's like a dark spin on dance/disco and also all the disco stuff I was creating from 2019 through 2020 with other artists. I knew I wanted to come out with something that felt different; even for disco. I couldn't possibly create something that was textbook disco; I feel like that is limiting nowadays. I will be honest with you though, I don't want to record no more disco bullshit for a while. Everything I touched in 2019-2020 was disco and I think I outgrew the genre (laughs)

NME: It seems to me like you're always ahead of the curve when it comes to sending trends of sounds and styles of music genres. Is that something you take notice or are familiar with?

Daniel: I don't feel that way, but I know that it is normal when certain genres of music seem to become trendy within artists. It's a test of time. Music will always come back full circle as some point. That's just something that happens naturally in the music industry. Disco has been around for decades, but I know that many artist have tried to make the genre feel revived in some kind of way. I'm just tired of it (laughs) nothing about it excited me right now and I kind of wish it would go away for a bit now that practically every artist has touched it.

NME: Very true, it's kind of becoming predictable and I feel like everyone is going the Disco route. I do kind of want to bring things back to your childhood in the first part of the interview. I never seen you be this candid about your life. I don't think you've shared that with anyone on any interview, so thank you for being vulnerable like that. One thing that stood out to me, well pretty much everything stood out to me (Daniel laughs) but the fact that you developed social anxiety issues when you moved to the states is something I feel is not talked about for people with language barriers. So Thank you for sharing those stories with us man. Now for this section of the interview we are gonna focus on a couple of topics, one of them being your music that you've released in the past. Your debut album; "Antisocial" was released more than 10 years ago; the album won "Breakthrough Album" at The Music Hall of Fame; which is a huge deal. How do you feel about that album today?

Daniel: I was 17 years old when I started making that record. I try not too forget the impact it had on my life but It's definitely not an album that I would create today; because I've overcome so many things I was facing during that album phase - I've learned so much about music since then - I'm so much more developed as an artist, producer and even as a leader but I'm still proud of the sound and instrumentation that went into that album. I was catering a dance sound to an indie scene. I was also taking on experimental instruments which is something a lot of people were not exposed to at the time. Producing my own album with little help was a crazy move and I don't know how I did it. Was very frustrating with the shift of technology that was taking place at that time too; social media was different and It was a lot more difficult to bring things together. I guess some of the tracks and some of the topics I have different points of views on them today. I think when people think of mental health they see it as a form of weakness. Not to glorify mental health but I think talking about it is very important so that people can feel normal in life and that album shed a lot of light on the social anxiety I was dealing with and facing at the time.

NME: Fast forward to today, it seems like you have been putting on so many hats. Aside from all of the records you've put out or been a part of behind the scenes, you have literally started a management company from the ground up and also have grown and develop so many new artists and hit records just within the last year alone. I can't even front, you're kind of building your own business model at this point and I highly admire that. It's not an easy task to do that and then also turn around release your own stuff. What has been the purpose behind all of this and what keeps you motivated to do that?

Daniel: I enjoy it. It's that simple. I think many artists forget to the enjoy and kind of just live in the moment. I put so much pressure on myself coming into this. I knew I was different and I knew I had ideas but I didn't think people would either catch on or understand my purpose as an artist. There's always that sense of pressure to outdo your last record hovering over your head or to work harder. That's the young me but the person that I am today is so much stronger than that. That's just part of growth and the more you do this the more you realize that all of this just done for entertainment so why not enjoy it. But to answer your question about the management company, I always wanted to kind of "pay it forward" and I don't mean that in the egotistical kind of way. I mean that I know that starting out there are certain things and resources I wish I had that would of probably made things a lot easier for me. I've always dreamed of creating a creative hub for other artists so that they can bring their art to life. Freenerd Management just focuses on that. Artist development, pushing boundaries artistically. It's less chart focused and more art focused.

NME: Do you feel like people today look at you as more of a producer or an artist or at this point more of a CEO?

Daniel: I think a lot of people really view more as the producer nowadays because of how many productions I've been a part of within my own realm of artists. Everyone in this industry wants some sort of level of respect but I feel like people really definitely have shown that to me and I'm pretty grateful for it to be honest with you. No matter what people view me as I'm always ready to challenge myself and do things that either I'm not familiar with or I may or people may not see me doing.

NME: One thing we need to talk about and I think I can speak for someone when I say this, Why the hell did you not release Architect Tapes? (laughs) Honestly. I'm still in shocked that you decided to scrap the album all together. It seemed like a lot of work went into that album! You also decided to kill off the "Architect" alter ego as well.

Daniel: I'll be honest that project did take a lot of work to complete and a lot of research, designing and work took place in the studio but ultimately my heart did not feel it at the end of it all. I just couldn't go through with it and I'll be honest there are lot of factors that went into my decision that I can't speak of right now but I feel like I made the right decision even if it pissed people off.

NME: Are there moments in your career that you don't necessarily feel proud of?

Daniel: Oh absolutely! I have moment when I look back and say you know what maybe I could of said that this way or maybe I could of done this record a certain way. It's all a part of growth but I don't regret anything in life. Shit happens. Shit has happened to me. It happens to all of us but we have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes. One thing I have learned to stop overdoing is apologizing so much.

NME: Your love life is something that you don't seem to like to talk about in interviews but it's obvious you have dated Rad..

Daniel: Let me stop you right there my man, I really don't (lets out a nervous laugh) like talking about that and I'd like us to refocus the interview to something else if possible.

NME: No I completely understand! Well, let's talk about "Hollywood Envy" you actually played us the track before this interview started which was very cool, thank you for doing that but also I wanna talk about how different this record sounds from anything you pretty much have done! I don't mean that it doesn't sound like you because it's very much YOU but it's very different at the same time do you get what I'm saying (laughs)

Daniel: (laughs) no I get what you're saying actually it's pretty funny because when I heard the record once it was finished I couldn't believe that I recorded this song it's not the song that I would normally approach but at the same time I knew coming into it that it is something that I wanted to tap into. It's definitely more of a mature sound; it's more instrument driven and it's more put together than a lot of my other records I've released in the past but it also doesn't sound like anything that's out at the moment. (laughs) That's what's good about it. Music should do that. There has to always be some kind of shift happening. I never want to become monotone or a machine.

NME: You announced recently that there's a music video already filmed for the song, What can we expect? Like dude your videos are always so freakishly interesting. What goes on in that head of yours? Like how do you get a production behind you to make your vision a reality?

Daniel: Honestly that's the part that people don't see is the work that goes into creating my visuals because mine at the very least aren't designed to be played on MTV or some pop music platform (laughs) However, this music video I just made for "Hollywood Envy" will have sort of a sadistic comedy spin on Hollywood culture. It also features an evil clone of myself. Talking about clones, there's also a tango dance scene that was so difficult to shoot. It's me dancing with myself but a version of myself that is quite scary (laughs). I definitely wanted this video to be entertaining but there's also seriousness in the story that it tells as well. Honestly my music video always seem to come in dreams or even nightmares. How I view the world and how I feel the world is seen from the music's point of view.

NME: Prior to "The Architect Tapes"; the last released album was Milking the Pop Stars and I'll be honest with you I was crying on the floor when I heard the album title but to my surprise the album sounded pretty interesting. It sounded like a horror movie almost it had this like creepy but ear candy sounds that I think a lot of people appreciated.

Daniel: Thank you very much! My intention with that album was to create something that sounded almost like a horror movie but the album really is about heartbreak and love and some politics thrown in there. I really wanted to make fun of myself a bit. There's really no sense of cohesiveness with that album though so I think for the most part it's not one of my favorites, it's just an album I really enjoyed creating.

We are taking another break. When we come back we are talking about "Pop Star Disorders" the album and the new tour! Thank you for hanging around thus far on NME Radio!

Edited by user 28 July 2021 09:51:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
erich hess on 28/07/2021(UTC), chaotic_princess on 28/07/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 29/07/2021(UTC)