logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline freestylechamp  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2021 12:49:22(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6110 time(s) in 2660 post(s)
Kidd Amaze has broken records, sold out shows, and push the boundary of what an artist can do not just in hip hop but in music in general. He has been a staple in hip hop and one of the best to do it but after all this time he has finally come back into the spotlight after being featured on a few singles and coming out with music of his own we talked about a little bit of everything from his breaks in between music, his relationships with other artist and his extended family, to his pro basketball career and what would be next for him and what he said, in the end, shocked me.

Yeah man let's just get into it is that alright? How are you feeling? I wanted to start off with some softballs before we get into the heavy stuff. It's been years since you have done one of these so I just do want to be the guy that messes this up

Nah, man you doing well. I need to get back into the swing of things so this is good, very good.

So how have you been?

been doing good, I have been doing stuff that I always wanted to do and I did more than I thought I would be able to do.

Good that great, so let's talk about your last project many people consider it a major success I think this has finally out-sold the rappers handbook what did that project mean to you?

I tell people all the time that I was working on Sides just for me. That was something that I wanted to do, I didn't want to have any features on it, it wasn't going to be a thing where I wanted other people's input on it. I crafted it for me and it was something that I thought about a lot since I did my first indie project I wanted to do something like that.

You consider yourself to be the best rapper but the media doesn't put you up there like they push other artists does that rub you in any way?

I don't mind it. I have always been self-motivated so it doesn't matter what others feel about me. There were times when I did things for others to listen and get feedback or look for the reviews but coming off of my last work I didn't do that for others so I don't expect people to look at it and feel the way I felt about it.

Early on when you did things for others to try and fit in? Do you think that is what people do now in the industry?

Like everything I think it is a feeling out process for it. You never know what you are going to be slotted into when you first come out so you don't know what is needed. You try have found yourself and your lane because you do a lot of things hopeful that one of them will get you to where you need to be but once you get on you need to that moment of "Okay, what is my thing. What do I want to do," If you don't know people are just going to fill it in for you, and tell you what they think.

Even though you have influenced a lot of people in the industry it doesn't seem like you get the same fan fair as someone in your position did you ever feel that Matt went through this and have you ever talked about this slight?

UserPostedImage

I don't consider it a slight, it a what have you done for me lately type of feel. I put a lot into stuff but before I was everywhere and now other rappers have filled that space. When you do rapping more so than other types of music people judge you differently. It's not about vocals or holding notes, I think it is a little bit more opinion-based because not only bout what we say but how it is said. Matt use to say that 'Crossing over means bringing an audience that wouldn't normally listen to us from the start and you have to be better than good to keep their attention.'

You guys had such a close relationship what do you think about him now that he has gone out of the public eye

Matt will always be one of my closest friends and even if he is out in the public eye and off the grid we can just randomly meet out of nowhere and pick right back up. In a lot of ways, we are a lot alike in the fact that we both had struggles but we never lost sight of what we wanted.

You have some deep connections and you had a record label all geared up for you? Looking back on it now would you still leave Permanent Reminder to start your label or would you have stayed and just run it?

I believe everything happens for a reason. I already knew what I wanted in my career and I made it a point for it to happen the way that I wanted it to go. I don't think I would have been happy if I went anywhere else.

Were there any talks about you going to studio60 or going to work with your peers at another label or did you ever wanted to sign at all?

UserPostedImage

I was one of those guys that thought getting signed at the very least could give me creditability in the sense that if I ever wanted to create my label I would at least know what it is like on the artist side and what management would want from an artist. I knew early on that I wasn't going to be there for long because of who I am.

So you were always going to leave?

It was more of an independent thing, I enjoy my freedom to do whatever I want and not having to answer to anyone. That kind of freedom comes with risk, how are you going to promote yourself, how to get your songs out there. The way music is done now wasn't how it was when I first started, if I came out now I don't think I ever would have signed to a label because you already have your brand soon as you press record.

While you are vulnerable in your music you tend to not be on social media much at all. Why did you take that stance cause you seem to always wanted to for better or worst control the narrative with yourself?

I think that is who I am. I don't like to have to answer anyone. I don't like the feeling of having someone shape what I'm trying to do. In the beginning, no one expected me to come out of my shell but when I did people from everywhere wanted to give their input on what I should do and how I should move and I didn't like that. I did this for myself and if I want to do something or not that is going to be my decision.

You grew into music naturally but your wife started at a young age and a lot of that had to do with guidance from her mother and father.

My parents were never about that life. My parents were blue-collar, I'm just going to work, get money, enjoy my family, retire. There is comfort in knowing that you are just working a job and have set hours. You can take sick days or vacation days, have a pension and a 401k. That's what they knew and grew on so I'm not going to say my parents were wrong for wanted that safety net or I would be better off with different parents that had a better understanding of what I wanted and could help me with it. I'm in the position now because of me but I'm the way I am because I was raised by my parents. I'm a byproduct of their action not a result of their choices.

So, what you're saying is that you weren't plan?

Sex was the action but I don't baby is what they had in mind. Things happen and you need to provide, that normally how this goes, when you are young and you're not well to do, struggling yourself adding another mouth to feed means you are looking for something stable and something that can put food on the table and keep lights on, keep a roof over your head. All those things are needed and you can't pause life or redo you have to take the punches and keep rolling with it. I love my parents for that they put their lives on the back burner and grew up quickly.

UserPostedImage

Talking about family your wife Coke put out some music with "Rich Parents" Have you seen their relationship cause they are more than just clients and managers but mother and daughter?

I can't speak on their relationship like that I do know that Anniken and Dakari loved her very much. They did what they believe would help her and get to what she wanted in life. I know it's more than a pure business relationship, and it is hard when you have to look at it from a business standpoint.

Are there some things that you wish you could change about your relationship with your wife, do you think it is still in a good space? What about with your family or your in-laws?

Early on I would butt heads with Anniken and Dakari about what Coke could do. I created this label why doesn't she come with me, I was big on having my freedom and this could be a platform where she could grow beyond a duo act. We had a lot of debates and they hated the idea and still do. Anniken hit me with the "your platform isn't going to be big enough and you aren't experienced enough to handle someone like her." And that kind of got to mind so I say "She may be your daughter but she is my wife. I married her so I think I have a good handle on my job." I think we have a good relationship I tried to be there for them when Dakari passed away, I think they know that I have their best interest at heart and I wouldn't do something to hurt them. I think I was a little too soft with my wife at the beginning and I think Anniken was somewhat right that I couldn't handle Coke the artist in the beginning but I think I just would have adjusted and worked things out.

UserPostedImage

It wasn't a big surprise that you had a connection with basketball, early in your career you have done things for the NBA and then you go and play professionally not many people can say that how was that break in between music and everything?

Honestly it was great it was something that I needed and it was something that I would never forget playing for Louisville Lions and the New Jersey Bombers. The fact that I was able to just work hard and get my chance like that, I always wanted to feel like a pro in basketball and I was able to play in the minor leagues for a little while. Part of me wanted to see where I would end up going in the draft but I knew that music was going to be calling and that is my passion. I thought about quitting but I don't see it in me to change completely over. Music is my thing.

You came out with a Freestyle recently what was the meaning of that and did that come back from you getting back into music with this feel.

That was just me being me at the moment. It was late at night listening to beats and I just felt this "I need to write to this." When I heard it. I was never the type to put out music just to be putting it out there. I want it to be something that I can look back on and be like "Oh I remember that." It is a feeling of just being wrapped around a warm blanket. I don't know what is going to be next as I'm starting to put some things together about what the next project is going to be. I thought that my last project was going to be the last one and then I could slowly fade away. Just drop music when I feel like it but people liked it, and I enjoyed it so I may have one more project in me before I leave the rapping alone and try other things.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
kandii on 27/09/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 27/09/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 27/09/2021(UTC), erich hess on 28/09/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 28/09/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 28/09/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 28/09/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 28/09/2021(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2021 01:39:32(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17955 time(s) in 10436 post(s)
Erica: did singing with studio60 give us credibility?

Nina: hardly, love. if anything,I think they lost some credibility of their own.

Erica: you ever watch Kidd play his sports ball? Was he any good?

Nina: asking the wrong person, really. When I learned the real NBA was nothing like NBA jam,I was pissed. Never watched it again.

Erica: well,he did sides,so I guess he can do whatever the fuck he wants. That thing was amazing.

Nina: sounds like he couldn't do miss Smith.

Erica: heyo!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 30/09/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2021 13:44:11(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Anniken: I want to say for the record that I grossly underestimated you. Out of all the rappers I've had the pleasure of knowing, you are the most mature, not to mention so dedicated and hard working. You've always had your head on straight and that's helped you endure more than other artists in this business. Wish I saw that sooner. I'm proud to call you family.
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 30/09/2021(UTC)