logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2022 11:20:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Billy
Title: Safe Passage
Genre(s): R&B
Length: 3:34
Writer(s): B.Khan
Producer(s): Billy, Havoc the Saint
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Tarantula

Safe Passage is a song by British singer-songwriter Bilal Khan-Holmes, known mononymously as Billy, released as the joint fourth single from his upcoming debut studio album, "Tarantula". The song was released on April 11, 2022, alongside accompanying single "XXXHIBITION" . Both tracks were released without any prior promotion or reveal, appearing on all digital music and streaming platforms as surprise releases on the night of the 11th. The track was written and recorded in January 2022 following a prolonged break from the studio and after scrapping several from the first incarnation of his album. "Safe Passage" follows on from his chart-topping single, "Fuck With You", which tapped into disco and house music. This single shows yet another side to Billy as an artist, with the production being rooted in 90's R&B music and the lyrical content appearing more confessional and transparent than before. Billy sings in a subdued yet soulful and emotive manner, almost sounding mentally exhausted and out of breath as he delivers the personal lyrics.. The track was written entirely by Billy and production was handled by Havoc the Saint, who is also signed to Five Pesky Kids and also worked on the other single from the dual release.

Writing & Production

Lyrically, "Safe Passage" sees Billy open up about his fears and insecurities in a brutally honest manner. Known for his bravado and sexually explicit image, Khan very rarely taps into his more authentic "human" side, making "Safe Passage" a rare but much appreciated glimpse into the heart and mind of one of the industries most divisive entertainers. Over the course of the song, Billy reveals how he often searches for noise and distraction in any form to avoid being left alone with his own thoughts, finding them terrifying and self-destructive. His fears of mortality and the pressures of many seeing him as a role model are also addressed. Khan also alludes to his family for the first time, claiming that he does wish to turn into his father while conversely hoping that his own son turns out nothing like Billy. The overall theme of the song is a feeling of entrapment in ones own mind.

Sonically, "Safe Passage" is a down-tempo R&B affair, containing sparse and soft beats, silky vocal deliveries, and a lush piano arrangement. The track has drawn comparisons to the work of artists such as Aaliyah, Brandy and Timbaland, all of whom Khan has previously cited as influences. In a similar vein to earlier hit "Gemini", "Safe Passage" showcases the "introspective, classic R&B sound" Khan wishes to present on half of the album. "Safe Passage" has Billy straying away from his renowned and signature vocal belts, instead opting for smoother style in order to put emphasis on the fragility of the lyrical content as well as highlight Khan's skilled vibrato.

Background & Release

The track was written in January 2022, becoming one of the most recent songs to date amongst the ever-expanding project. Khan's debut solo album was due for release in summer 2020 but was ultimately postponed due to the singer being unhappy with a lot of the material. After adapting to a smaller working environment due to COVID-19 restrictions, Khan continued to keep only a select few creatives around for the conception of the album. "Safe Passage" was written solely by Billy and co-produced by himself alongside Havoc the Saint during one of many sessions together in London. Joint single "XXXHIBITION" would also arise from these collaborations. Prior to the creation of "Safe Passage", Billy brought childhood favourite albums to the studio as points of reference, also finding comfort in the sonics which in turn allowed the singer to become more vulnerable on paper and in the booth.

Billy wrote:
"I'm not one to get nervous or scared when it comes to my career. I'm used to the spotlight, the questions, the fighting off weirdos who have the Union Jack as their profile pic. I've performed on the world's biggest stages, sang for some of the most powerful people on the planet, stolen the last blueberry muffin from a hungry Dustyn. I've never felt as intimidated as I do right now. Releasing "Safe Passage" is probably the most frightening thing I've ever had to do. On some level, yes, releasing two singles *is* still a way of giving everyone a taster of what's in store for the album but it's also really just a way of taking the pressures off of this sole song."

"I've never been as vulnerable as this on a song or just in general in terms of my public image. Yeah, I've been honest in songs, I always am. I've approached other songs with different angles though. Whether it's dripping in sarcasm, wrapped up in bravado, or maybe penned in a way that only I really know what certain lyrics mean, I've always avoided being this...sensitive. I'm being brutally honest about my fears, my worries, my daily battles. I don't like being seen as "weak". I grew up having to take it on the chin and be a big, brave boy. I've built a career out of my tenacity. I'm human though. I think that ten years into my career, my supporters should know me a little better. Also, approaching 30 has made me realise I've held onto shit for way too long. I don't want to carry it all over into the next decade of my life. At this moment in time, yes, I AM scared of ending up alone, the idea of death, the thought that my son will turn out like me, how quickly time passes, the constant voices in my head fucking me over. "Safe Passage" spells a lot of it out for you and this is only just the surface."

"I knew I wanted to create something as raw as this and I also knew the only way I'd be able to be as authentic and gutsy as possible was if I really fucking vibed with the music. A lot of classic 90's and some early 00's R&B has helped me through some real shit because there's such honesty and depth there. That era...it's beyond just straight-up impactful and truthful lyrics. It's the whole package. The production choices compliment the mood. The vocals ride alongside the words and hit the right note on the right phrase to really get you in the gut. That's what I set out to do with "Safe Passage". Intimidated but also real fucking proud of this one."

Critical Reception

"Safe Passage" received universally positive reviews upon release, with many critics praising Billy's vocal performance and his candid lyricism. The decision to lean into Khan's childhood and teenage influences was also lauded. Writing for NME, Alan Child wrote that "Safe Passage is the best thing Khan has done in his decade in the spotlight. Not only is this the first time we catch a glimpse of the man beneath the larger than life persona, his musical prowess and attention to the smallest details shines brighter than ever." Imogen Peth of The Line of Best Fit praised the musical direction for the single, saying "While Khan is a multifaceted and versatile talent, he sounds most at home on slower, classic R&B moments and "Safe Passage" is testament to that.". Calvin Beckett of Variety branded Billy as "one of Weekend's most interesting members" before opining that "there are several layers to the musical heavy-hitter and it appears that "Safe Passage" is just the tip of the iceberg". Writing for Rolling Stone, Jessica Thornberry commended the "gut-punchingly-honest" penmanship and branded Khan a "tormented genius", writing; "Whether planned or not, the sheer sincerity of the track is bound to garner more attention and interest than any typical shock-factor Khan tactic could." She rounded off her positive review by claiming that "Khan has us all eating out the palm of his hand with whatever move he makes, controversial or conversational."

"SAFE PASSAGE"

I hate spoilers but not as much as surprises
Reluctantly spill the ending before it's even started
Left alone amongst the carnage is a recurring theme
Don't blame a soul for fleeing the tragic scene
I, too plan to make for a sweet escape
Then the clouds roll in and my spirit breaks

Championed by so many as a hero
Trying to keep that up while running on zero
Some thinking I should don a halo
When five minutes ago, I puked a whole rainbow

I only come alive in the dead of night
Because I'm not a fan of this silence
Running rampant, turning a blind eye
Avoiding the truth's my worst habit
I'm too scared of what I may find
Lurking in the crevices under darkness
Don't leave me alone with my own mind
'Cause even it don't offer safe passage

Tried so hard not to become like my father
But I know I'll still be torn up in the Rapture
They don't give out points for good intentions
Can barely scrape by on being a pale imitation
I want someone to blame for sealing my own fate
They love my honesty, though I lie to my own face

Thought I'd grow wiser as I got older
Only grew closer to this little devil on my shoulder
Million and one things I still haven't told ya
Constant battle with pride for the reward of closure

I know many think that I'm a narcissist
I'm just looking for proof that I really exist
Hate my mortality and the concept of time
Try to fit in 'cause I don't want left behind
Always dabbling with something a little stronger
To give courage to the kid once sat in the corner
Son of my own, I often fear what he'll become
Walking in the footsteps of bad boy number one

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 12/04/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 12/04/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 12/04/2022(UTC), erich hess on 12/04/2022(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 12/04/2022(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 13/04/2022(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 16/04/2022(UTC), C4AJoh on 16/04/2022(UTC), Welat65 on 17/04/2022(UTC), kandii on 19/06/2022(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2022 12:04:24(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Tika Mays: I love this song i mean my god this is what i needed on my mood playlist!

Liam Russell: Yo your voice has that soft soulful voice that bring the song together & damn it got me on the chorus!

OCC: Nice Job
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 12/04/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2022 18:01:17(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Alicia: Billy, my friend. What a beautiful track. I will forever be a sucker for that reflective soulful RnB vibe done right and this is just perfection for my ears. The way in which you allow yourself to be vulnerable in this track is a lot more difficult than people tend to give credit for. I love that this is leading to your debut solo album which we've all been anticipating for what feels like forever. If this is any indication on the level of the record as a whole then I can say with confidence that it will be one that is spoken about long after we're all gone. Everything feels so perfectly done throughout the track, lyrically it's beyond poetic, there's flows and structures and rhymes that I don't think anyone else would have been able to craft. The theme and tone is incredibly personal to yourself I'm sure but that just gives added weight to the track and the production is as smooth as you'd expect, the very highest level across the board. I have so much respect for your work, vulnerability and honesty in everything you do, this highlights those qualities so much and I thank you for blessing us.

OOC: Incredible work on this one as always, looking forward to seeing the build to the album. It's always done to perfection and I'm certain we all look forward to the work that you create on here. This is no exception. :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/04/2022(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2022 04:46:16(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Aliya: We stan music that is REAL and allows you to reflect and identify with the singer. Thank you for showing us your vulnerability!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/04/2022(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2022 08:51:11(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
BitchWat: And just like that, now I am crying ???? The emotions you set on your fans with these two new releases should be criminal bitch!! But honestly, joking aside, it just shows how versatile you are. Getting the best of both worlds with your two new releases. It's crazy how you can go from being so horny to being so sentimental and I admire the fuck out of that. If the releases you've put out are any indication of what the album is going to be like, then I am SO ready. Definitely going to be one of the best album releases of the year! KING!!!!

OOC: As said on the previous thread, wonderful job. You just don't miss lol. Wonderful, captivating lyrics that feel like a real song.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/04/2022(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2022 17:05:38(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Rum: Emo king 😔 beautifully written as always
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/06/2022(UTC)