logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2022 02:12:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Signpost”
Artist(s): Kara Romero
Release Date: June 11, 2022
Format: Digital Download, Streaming, Airplay, 12” Single, CD Single
Recorded: Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Genre(s): RnB, Rap
Length: 4:26
Label: Just Record / Dahlhouse Entertainment
Writer(s): Kara Romero, Brayton Carter
Producer(s): Kara Romero, Brayton Carter, Jadyn Ghalen, Jamal Ghalen

“Signpost” is a song from the Spanish-American musician/rapper ‘Kara Romero’. It marks the first release from the artist since 2020’s protest song “Are We One?” which also featured guest spots from both Jay-C and Stephanie Fierce. Released during the early stages of the global pandemic and written as a response to the George Floyd murder it garnered a lot of attention on it’s release with all proceeds from the track going to the ‘Black Lives Matter’ foundation. In the aftermath of that single, it was confirmed that Kara was working on her sophomore album, but much like the majority of her career it has been full of false starts and delays that have disrupted any momentum she has ever seemingly garnered. She did release an E.P in 2020 however, and she even picked up an award at the FCA VII awards for ‘Best Female Artist’ although this being in 2020 there was a substantial lack of productivity within the industry, she was considered one of the most active of that period despite only releasing two singles and an E.P.

During this two year period between releases, she has continued to work on her music. Writing and recording the majority of what will become her sophomore album which is tentatively pencilled in for release before the end of 2022. Early information indicates that it will be a highly emotional and personal record from Kara Romero and it will have a couple of recognizable producers working alongside her on those tracks as well as a couple of collaborations which are due to be revealed in the coming weeks if rumours are to believed. It’s thought that Kara Romero is set to go all out in the build-up to this albums release in comparison to the lower-key releases throughout her career as she tends to prefer to live her life a little outside of the spotlight. It’s a strong possibility that this could be the first release in a rapid influx of releases throughout the summer from the artist as she looks to build some of that lost momentum from the previous two years. This stemming from a meeting with her record label and management where it’s thought that she put her frustrations out on the table and implored the label to go all in on this record, claiming that it would help them make their investment from 2016 finally worthwhile all these years later. Acknowledging herself that the labels initial high expectations from her as a teenager have not proved successful thus far. It’s reported that she stated that on what will be the final record of her contract at ‘Just Record’ they can either accept their failure or take one final gamble on her. It’s not known what the label agreed to or whether they even took this on board, but only time will tell as the countdown officially begins with this latest single.

The track centre’s around love and the complexity of modern dating and issues with labels and understanding where both stand, something that seems to be more evident in today’s modern dating scope. The emotions of confusion and anger are at the forefront of the track and the psychological aspect is one that is not only shown on this track but is more prevalent in the work from her upcoming album as she stated in a recent interview, “I think the battles that we all face on a daily basis shape us so much but it feels like only recently that people have started to understand and acknowledge their own minds and feelings a little more and become a little more aware of. I think pretty much every track that I’ve recorded for the album so far has had some sort of link to feeling, whether that be physical or mental. Certainly, even more so from a mental aspect. This falls under that category and I think most people that have tried dating in recent times could probably relate to this one. It’s definitely a track that comes from that modern day dating confusion and the all the fucked up little games that seem to just always surround that. There’s so many rules and little mind games that are played these days, it feels like you can never truly understand where you’re both at. I’ve gotta say though, this track is totally one sided. But it’s one that I think feels authentic to that modern day dating world. I know it’s completely fucking authentic to my own experiences. I think going into that dating world should come with a warning, maybe listen to this song if you’re about to open yourself up to that world again. All I could really say is stay strong, it’s fucking wild out there.”

This track was written by Kara Romero alongside friend and collaborator Brayton Carter otherwise known as ‘Bellows’ from the rap group ‘Orion’, the pair became close friends after he was hired to DJ a birthday celebration for Kara back in 2019 prior to the groups breakthrough in 2020. The track was produced by Kara alongside Bellows and the other two members of Orion in Boa and Circuit at Basement Studios in Brooklyn, New York and is set to be released on 11th June, 2022 through Just Record and Dahlhouse Entertainment. It will serve as the lead single from Kara Romero’s upcoming sophomore studio album which is expected later in the year and this latest single will be made available via Digital Download, Worldwide Streaming, Weekly Airplay as a 12” Single and as a CD Single both limited to just 500 copies.

Song Description;

The song begins with a repeated dreamwave-esque keyboard sound with a soft drumming beat heard faintly in the background, it’s not long before the opening lyrics are delivered by Kara in a smooth RnB vocal style which allows her to really give the theme and feeling of the song from the very outset as she sings over the RnB tinged music, “I know we never liked to label things/But all the signs seemed to indicate that we were something/I kinda thought we were good/Thought we were just trying to avoid the word love/Just so shit wouldn’t get complicated/We fucked almost every night that you were in my home.” which immediately give the tone of the track, despite her softly spoken delivery it’s clear that there’s an anger and frustration coming from the lyrical content as she sings about an understanding of both people not wanting to put a label on the relationship at the risk of ruining a good thing, despite all the evidence pointing clearly to the fact that they were indeed something.

The music continues in a similar vein as we progress to the chorus early on, the speed of the backing music has increased slightly as she switches up tone slightly to deliver another RnB tinged vocal delivery but this time with a little more assertiveness and anger in the tone, giving the feeling that we’re hearing her side of the argument, “Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs/When there wasn’t a single signpost/Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs/There wasn’t a single signpost/I guess I was the one/That was played the most.” and this gives us the very message of the track, drenched in confusion and skirting around the idea of saying what you truly feel, leaving one person comfortable and the other confused in a situation. The tone shift in vocal delivery matches the lyrical content as we delve deeper into the breakdown of a relationship.

The pace switches up completely as the chorus ends, the modern day RnB tone of the backing music fades out and we’re given a very beat heavy sound, drums and a bass highlighting this section of the track and as the music changes the vocal delivery does so too as Kara moves into full assertiveness as she jumps on the beat and delivers a rap verse that highlights the frustration and anger that lingers beyond the surface, “For all intents and purposes, we were together/You can try to manipulate the situation/Keep saying we ain’t had that conversation/But actions speak louder/Everybody could fucking see it/We were exclusive in every fucking way/You were with me almost every god damn day/It’s just something we didn’t wanna say/Because we’ve seen how once it’s said you ain’t ever truly get that magic back/You can call me naïve/But I won’t take that personal attack/You can come around here/Trying to make amends/But I won’t fall for that bullshit/Just so we can fuck again.” and it’s clear that the tender RnB vocal style is linked to the idea of her trying to understand and rationalise the hurt that she feels and the rap vocal delivery is her allowing herself to be angry.

The music switches back as we return to the songs chorus, “Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs/When there wasn’t a single signpost/Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs/There wasn’t a single signpost/I guess I was the one/That was played the most.” but this time is accompanied by a bridge which continues in that softer RnB delivery but with the lyrical content continuing in the assertive nature of the rap verse as she sings, “I’ve seen this shit happen before/But didn’t think I’d be the one to fall for it/Didn’t think that was your MO/But I should have fucking known it/Shouldn’t have been so trustin’.” we’re given the songs chorus once more before we move into the final section of the song.

The track switches tone again as we head into another rap verse, the softness making way for the drum heavy and faster paced verse as Kara moves into rap mode once more, “But you know me enough to know that once you’re out/You ain’t ever getting back in/I can be stubborn as fuck when I need to be/I know you keep calling me to talk/To try to smooth this shit over/But I can’t tolerate you loving me, when you’re fuckin’ wit another/It hurts inside/But I’ll keep my emotions undercover/Give me a moment to hurt/And then I’ll get over this/I’m strong enough to move past this shit/I take it as a lesson/To help me grow stronger.” and the internal calmness at accepting that she’s essentially done now, and that she’s said what she needed to say and let out whatever anger was needed to be let out is followed by one final return to the RnB vibe as she sings the songs chorus once more to play it out.

“Signpost”

Written by Kara Romero, Brayton “Bellows” Carter
Produced by Kara Romero, Orion

“I know we never liked to label things
But all the signs seemed to indicate that we were something
I kinda thought we were good
Thought we were just trying to avoid the word love
Just so shit wouldn’t get complicated
We fucked almost every night that you were in my home

Don’t even try to tell me that I should have seen the signs
When there wasn’t a single signpost
Don’t try to tell me that I should have read the signs
There wasn’t a single signpost
I guess I was the one
That was played the most

For all intents and purposes, we were together
You can try to manipulate the situation
Keep saying we ain’t had that conversation
But actions speak louder
Everybody could fucking see it
We were exclusive in every fucking way
You were with me almost every god damn day
It’s just something we didn’t wanna say
Because we’ve seen how once it’s said you ain’t ever truly get that magic back
You can call me naïve
But I won’t take that personal attack
You can come around here
Trying to make amends
But I won’t fall for that bullshit
Just so we can fuck again

I guess I was the one
That was played the most

I’ve seen this shit happen before
But didn’t think I’d be the one to fall for it
Didn’t think that was your MO
But I should have fucking known it
Shouldn’t have been so trustin’

I guess I was the one
That was played the most

But you know me enough to know that once you’re out
You ain’t ever getting back in
I can be stubborn as fuck when I need to be
I know you keep calling me to talk
To try to smooth this shit over
But I can’t tolerate you loving me, when you’re fuckin’ wit another
It hurts inside
But I’ll keep my emotions undercover
Give me a moment to hurt
And then I’ll get over this
I’m strong enough to move past this shit
I take it as a lesson
To help me grow stronger

I guess I was the one
That was played the most”

Sound Alike;

Kehlani – “Serial Lover”

Credits & Personnel;

CREDITS

Produced Kara Romero and Orion
Engineered by Jadyn Ghalen, Brayton Carter
Mixed by Kara Romero, Brayton Carter
Recorded at Basement Studios, Brooklyn, New York, USA

PERSONNEL

Kara Romero – vocals, lyrics, composition, production, mixing
Brayton “Bellows” Carter – lyrics, production, engineering, mixing
Jadyn Ghalen – production, engineering
Jamal Ghalen – production
Ignacio Santos – composition, bass, programming
Augustine Francis – drums, percussion
Rebecca Lowell – photography, art direction
thanks 9 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 12/06/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 12/06/2022(UTC), BrownSugar on 12/06/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 12/06/2022(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 12/06/2022(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/06/2022(UTC), erich hess on 12/06/2022(UTC), freestylechamp on 15/06/2022(UTC), kandii on 19/06/2022(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2022 02:15:25(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Liam Russell: Yo I feel like this song is a hit and this could be in my mood playlist!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 12/06/2022(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2022 05:07:37(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Karma: Kick ass attitude with this track! Love the vibe of this song! Kind of the soundtrack to my life right now at the moment! Your vocals are also a vibe!

ooc: Outstanding job as always!
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 12/06/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2022 04:52:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Liam Russell: Yo I feel like this song is a hit and this could be in my mood playlist!

Kara: Thanks man, it's definitely the kinda shit that a lot of us feel sometimes. Keep playing the fuck outta the track! ;)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 15/06/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2022 04:59:14(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Karma: Kick ass attitude with this track! Love the vibe of this song! Kind of the soundtrack to my life right now at the moment! Your vocals are also a vibe!

ooc: Outstanding job as always!

Kara: Holy fuck! I'm so gassed that you're into the track, but ain't nobody fucking a Queen like you around like that. However, if they are? Gimme a call ;) Appreciate the love!

OOC: Thank you, hopefully I can finally dedicate some time to this character for a while! :)
stephaniewazhere on 16/06/2022(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2022 09:57:59(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Tyler: I would come out here and talk about how this is another "men ain't shit" and poo on it, but it is creative and catchy. I don't think I seen someone frame it in a "There was sign," "No their wasn't where do you see the signpost" Sometimes you just be in something so deep that you see the stuff. Good job

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 18/06/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2022 00:37:54(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Dustyn: Yes Karaaaa!! From the opening line, I knew this was going to hit hard and go deep. Not putting a label on things can be fun but it really raises a lot more questions without answers and a huge big grey area. I feel like your song perfectly captures all the issues and complexities that comes with dating. Impossible to see signs when you're not really on a straightforward path. I do NOT miss the world of dating. Such a wonderful and scarily accurate song haha.

OOC: Again, you knocked it out of the park and it's one of those songs I can definitely relate to during a certain point of my life. Excellent work as always!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 18/06/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2022 15:51:49(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Tyler: I would come out here and talk about how this is another "men ain't shit" and poo on it, but it is creative and catchy. I don't think I seen someone frame it in a "There was sign," "No their wasn't where do you see the signpost" Sometimes you just be in something so deep that you see the stuff. Good job

Kara: Nah, I don’t buy into that “men ain’t shit” mindset, fuck that. It’s more of a statement on modern dating than anything else. There’s always two sides to the story.
Appreciate the love, mad respect!
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2022 15:57:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Dustyn: Yes Karaaaa!! From the opening line, I knew this was going to hit hard and go deep. Not putting a label on things can be fun but it really raises a lot more questions without answers and a huge big grey area. I feel like your song perfectly captures all the issues and complexities that comes with dating. Impossible to see signs when you're not really on a straightforward path. I do NOT miss the world of dating. Such a wonderful and scarily accurate song haha.

OOC: Again, you knocked it out of the park and it's one of those songs I can definitely relate to during a certain point of my life. Excellent work as always!

Kara: Dustyn, fucking king! You’re so right, you’ve gotta go out and have your fun and it can be super liberating to live life on your own terms.
But when you’re in a different place emotionally in a relationship it can get messy. Appreciate the love for the song!

OOC: Thank you, it’s one that I enjoyed writing. It’s always more interesting writing about things like this!

BrownSugar on 19/06/2022(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#10 Posted : 19 June 2022 19:06:15(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Rum: Girl we've all been there 🥴 I love your music, its something we can all relate to and the vibes are just right. I'm definitely on the lookout for that album, I need it prontooo.
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 21/06/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 21 June 2022 04:51:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Rum: Girl we've all been there 🥴 I love your music, its something we can all relate to and the vibes are just right. I'm definitely on the lookout for that album, I need it prontooo.

Kara: Thanks Queen! Feels like we're all fucking living it these days. It's been a long wait but it shouldn't be too long until the album finally drops. I like to keep ya'll waiting! :)