logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline freestylechamp  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2022 12:47:15(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6110 time(s) in 2660 post(s)
Artists: Japanese Cartoon
Title: What Would I Say
Format: Digital download, Digital Streams, CD, Vinyl Record
Genre: Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Independent

UserPostedImage

Earlier in the year, Japanese Cartoon came out with their first EP Crash Pilots and it was met with rave reviews. So much so that the band has been doing shows and touring in the local areas in California. The team has been doing a lot but this is going to be the first single off of a new studio album which is going to be released sometime late this year or early next year. The Internet was in a blaze of the Catch-Up members, Christopher Walker and Sarah Walker, partnered up to create the rock band Japanese Cartoon and were able to put together an EP that went #1 on the charts. Since the EP dropped Sarah and Chris have been on the road working on their songwriting ability and what it would take to make a great project. "This song has been in the work for months now and it was really something that we wanted to get to where we could feel comfortable with releasing. I know that this single is really special to Chris and he wanted to get this right and also get it to where people could relate to it." Sarah said as she was giving Chris support on his single. What was once something that they did in surprise now was something that people waited and had hope for. "Damn, I can see why Erica only did one song, I was one of the people that wanted her to do more and now I get it. I'm never going to ask for anything again. because now people have expectations and I hate people having high expectations, I don't do well with pressure." Chris said in an interview while on the small tour they were on.

How the Song Came to be

the music to this single was actually around during the time Crash Pilots was in development, they felt like it was a good musical score but they just didn't have any lyrics to it. Days go by and Crash Pilots was released and it was received very positively that Chris mentioned off the cuff "Man now I need to do a single with Chicago and I'll be straight," So Tony, the man on the drums, played the music for What Would I Say and Chris thought about having a duet with Chicago on the single.

Quote:
That was the main thing I was thinking about when I heard it, I wanted to get my boyfriend and we were going to do this thing like another version of make dad mad, that's how this single started but as I go to work on the lyrics I was struggling because I wanted to have people take me seriously and not just feel like I couldn't hold my own compared to my super talented boyfriend. Like I said I hate having expectations because I don't want to feel let down.

Time when on and Chris continued to write and work on the single while getting feedback and once they finish the hook and part of the first verse it was decided that Chris was just going to sing the whole single as he got personal to him. It starts off with him talking about what advice he would give his younger self and how he has grown into someone who he thought he would never be growing up.

Quote:
It is something that you have to look back on and say 'wow, look at me, I made something out of myself where people thought I was going to be a nobody. I still remember recording in a closet in my room. Having to fight through security to get interviews, requesting people to come on a show where I would talk to managers and they will say that I have to pay X amount of dollars. Writing a film, getting a show produce, doing music. That wasn't something I could tell people back in the day cause I was a class clown and something who had trouble. My life was hard, but Life is hard in general, if I could make it, others can make it too and I just wanted this song to reflect that.

Lyrics:

{verse 1)
If I could talk to my younger self
Be there when he needed some help
What would I say?
If I could go back to that time
Saw that you were on my line
what would I say, say to you?

(Hook)
You can't break me down
anymore anymore
I've grown stronger without you

{Verse 2}
If I could talk to a younger me
set the expectations on who to be
here is what I say?
it's not up to others to decide
Stop worrying about hurting your pride
Why don't you give living a try (A try)

(Hook)
They can't break you down
anymore anymore
We've grown stronger without them
look at us now?
We better than, better than
what we were from before

(Bridge)
Stop trying to be someone else
You can't take their place
and no one can replace who you are
so don't run away from who you're destiny to be
Take that first step, close your eyes and jump

Ohh

Ohh

Ohh

(Hook)
You can't break me down
anymore anymore
I've grown stronger without you, you, you, you
look at me now?
I better than, better than
what I was from before

(Bridge)
You can't break me down
Break me down
Break me down
Break me Down
Break Me

(Outtro)
What would you say to me?
(without you)
what would you say back to me?

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
2001clay on 25/07/2022(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/07/2022(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 25/07/2022(UTC), kandii on 25/07/2022(UTC), C4AJoh on 25/07/2022(UTC), erich hess on 25/07/2022(UTC), PANIC! on 26/07/2022(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2022 19:27:33(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8625 time(s) in 2703 post(s)
Cara: Christopher, you fucker, you did it. You finally stepped out from my huge shadow and eclipsed everything I've ever done xD Nah in all seriousness, I never expected this to be a path that you'd end up going down but you're really killing it with 'Japanese Cartoon'. As of right now, you're carrying the alt-rock genre on your fucking back dude. How insane a statement is that? This latest track is brilliant, brutal and beautiful which is exactly what alternative rock is supposed to be. I could not be anymore proud of where you're at right now, love ya!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 25/07/2022(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2022 23:28:48(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17954 time(s) in 10435 post(s)
Ooc: maybe I need to try taking my job more seriously. This was great.

Erica: i tried telling you,but nobody wants to listen to Erica.

Nina: not listening to Erica is usually the first step to success,loves. So I don't blame you, Chris.

Erich: if this song was liquid,I'd slather myself in it and then sit under a heat lamp. I want this song to form a crispy flakey layer all over me.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 26/07/2022(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2022 04:27:09(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19202 time(s) in 7631 post(s)
Chicago: Dark, deep, brooding and highly intelligent just like my baby! So proud of you and the whole Japanese Cartoon project! You know I absolutely champion this song. It's rather emotional and thought provoking but oh so beautiful. You are such a talent and it's an honour to nurture that and watch you flourish. Here's to many more exquisite releases!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID