logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2024 16:29:52(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19309 time(s) in 7688 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Weekend
Title: Violent Devotion
Genre(s): Dark Wave, Synth Pop, Soft Rock
Length: 5:00 (main version) / 3:38 (radio edit)
Writer(s): D.Blue-Conners, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington
Producer(s): Riley Hamilton
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBA

INFORMATION

"Violent Devotion" is a song recorded by British-Irish boy band Weekend. The track was released on October 19, 2024 through Five Pesky Kids Records with no prior announcement or promotion. It also serves as their first release as a band since 2021's standalone single "Pucker" which became their milestone tenth #1 record on Chart Heat. "Violent Devotion" was written by all five members of the group; Dustyn Blue-Conners, Billy Khan, Riley Hamilton, Oscar Ward, and Scott Wellington. Production of the track was also handled solely by Hamilton, a field in which he first dabbled in on Weekend's 2019 album "Welcome to the Real World". Blue-Conners also arranged and plays bass guitar on the song. The track was conceptualised in March 2024 when all five members united to attend the Universal Music Awards, supporting Khan's nominations for his solo work. Completion of the song was the result of remote and sporadic work over the following months, with members of the band taking part in FaceTime sessions together.

"Violent Devotion" is a dark wave track with elements of synthpop and soft rock woven throughout. Prominently featuring Oscar Ward and Dustyn Blue-Conners, the two members of the group with the deepest singing voices, heard against a "heavy", "urgent" bass and "ominous" synth-line, "Violent Devotion" creates a "dark" and "brooding" sonic experience for the listener. Coupled with the "eye-opening" lyricism and "sinister" subject matter, the song can somewhat be perceived to be their most "mature" release to date. While still having its ties to pop music, the track boasts a much more alternative and less mainstream sonic direction than any of Weekend's previous releases. "Violent Devotion" received instant recognition for the deeply personal and confessional lyricism from the band. It deals with the concept of parasocial relationships and the pressures of being looked upon by millions as role models. The track showcases the "push and pull" that Weekend have felt over the years; being grateful for the adoration and their childhood dreams coming true while simultaneously struggling to navigate and handle the overwhelming expectations and responsibilities that they did not sign up for.

The main version of the single has a runtime of exactly 5 minutes while the mix sent to radio stations stands at 3 minutes 38 seconds. The radio edit omits the instrumental introduction, cuts the outro shorter and removes the second and fourth verses, resulting in Oscar and Dustyn only having one each. The limited edition 12 inch vinyl release also includes an instrumental version and an 8 minute extended mix billed as the "Hopelessly Devoted Mix".

SONG COMMENTARY

RILEY
Quote:
"What can I say about "Violent Devotion"? It's an extremely loaded topic. I don't think we've ever had a song that's come with so much to unpack and explain. Whole lot of lore and backstory. I feel like I always say this every time we release something but I genuinely think this is my favourite and the best song we've ever done. Swear I'm not just trying to flog it and upsell it, haha! It took months and months to complete and, yeah, that was partly due to geography and chaotic personal schedules but we knew it was going to be such an important track for us. We couldn't rush it. It's not only just quite a hefty topic we're dealing with but it's a brand new chapter for us creatively, sonically. The seedling of the idea and the skeleton of the song came so quickly to us. We knew we had struck gold but we also knew we could NOT fuck this gem up. Of course I added the extra pressure of producing it onto myself. Of course I did, haha!"

"We were all sat together in Billy's hotel room. Few beers were had, we got some room service and it was the first time in a long while that the five of us were just together chilling. Just hanging out as mates. We were chatting away, shooting the shit, and we started talking about our journey. It started off as light, celebrating how far we'd come and giving kudos to Billy for his UMA nominations and then it kind of pivoted to the darker stuff. All the pressures we've felt over the years. The zealousness of some people. All that lovely stuff. Dusty, as profound as ever, chimed in with something along the lines of; ""it's difficult to handle such violent devotion being thrown your way". Well, that was it. You could probably visibly see the lightbulbs popping off around our heads. We didn't have to say anything. We just gave each other these looks and Dustyn got up and reached for his guitar.

OSCAR
Quote:
"I feel like this was the song we were always destined to make. We had to live through a plethora of trying times, try on multiple different hats, and fight tooth and nail to be taken seriously. Over the years, there has also been a great deal of compromise between the five of us. When that's the case, it ends up in certain members not being particularly keen on specific songs but you bite your tongue and forge ahead for the sake of the band and enjoyment of fans. With "Violent Devotion", however, it was almost like a sixth element that brought us all together. There was such a buzz that night it was realised. We were all throwing ideas into the pot and growing ever so excited."

"There's an extremely dark, foreboding sonic to it and while it's not a million miles away from the 1980's inspired sounds of our last album, I think it is leaps and bounds ahead of it in terms of creativity, lyrical substance, sound, and a new era of our efforts and talents as a band. I remember thinking at the time that "Welcome to the Real World" could simply not be topped. Now it feels rather juvenile in comparison. The music we've been creating in 2024 is undoubtedly our most authentic yet. Everyone in the band is on their A-game and it's the most comfortable and honest we've ever felt. I believed that with the last album but looking back, we were only scratching the surface. Here is where a new chapter begins."

DUSTYN
Quote:
"I find it kinda sad how quickly the song fell out of our heads and onto paper. We've lived such colourful and fruitful lives but obviously that comes with baggage and downsides. It was a really meta experience. The moment we were in whilst writing the song perfectly encapsulates the essence of "Violent Devotion". There we were, laughing away, enjoying life, celebrating Billy's successes, talking about our other achievements, reliving memories and relishing in an environment we wouldn't be in had it not been for the band. On the flipside of that, however, we were weirded out by how quiet everything around us was as that entire floor of the hotel had to be closed off. We were all sat down on the floor, not daring to go near the window because of safety and privacy concerns. The song is about that duality. Sort of like Game of Thrones. Everyone wants the throne but once you get it, can you really enjoy it because then you've got a target on your back for the rest of your life?"

"Of course, I absolutely adore the song. It was so, so therapeutic for all of us to just unload these thoughts. Can't say I haven't been nervous about putting it out into the world, though. It's something that's been nurtured and fined tuned for ages. It's such a special song that the boys and I adore but I was worried that it'd come across as self-indulgent whining. "Oh you're complaining about being famous and loved by millions? Yeah, yeah. Boo-hoo". That's one way to view it, I get that, and it's sometimes something I do say to myself when I get overwhelmed. However, even though it's not a universal experience, I still think it warrants some attention. I'd like it to raise a lot of questions and start conversations about the mental health and safety of those in the industry. We don't have many, if any, safeguards and really, at the end of the day, it's just a case of sucking it up and getting on with it. Wish there was a lot more care and nurture there, though."

"And on the topic of wishes, I kinda wish I coined a different phrase. The internet is all about abbreviations and "Violent Devotion" shortens to VD. Nobody wants to promote that! God! Hehe!"

SCOTT
Quote:
"I don't think I've ever related to one of our songs as much as this one. I've had a lot of struggles and conflicting feelings regarding this career for many, many years now. It's not even a case of tapping out because, even if you never release anything again, everything else still lives on. I could retire tomorrow but the fame is still there. The internet is forever. It's an ongoing, eternal thing that me and the lads just have to navigate. I say we've been doing a pretty good job of it over the last decade and a bit but that's not to say we haven't all had our wobbles. It was incredibly touching and freeing having all of us spill our guts in that room. I'm proud of my brothers and to see them all grapple their demons, being strong, brilliant young men and masterful creatives just warmed my heart. I remember feeling like such a father or big brother figure back in the days when we were just a bunch of unhinged teens. So to see us all still with our heads screwed on, owning our shit and creating our best work yet really stuck with me."

"With, "Violent Devotion", it's about more than just the parasocial relationship thing. Yeah, the pressures of that are absolutely fucking insane but the track isn't a dig at fans. How hypocritical would that be? We adore our supporters so, so much. It's like an extended family at this rate. It more so comes from the media and those who just see us as "celebrities". The diehard fans genuinely see us as humans and are the most loving, respectful people out there. The paparazzi, the arseholes who leave comments on The Daily Mail website, the autograph scalpers, the disrespectful people who treat you like a piece of meat and invade all sorts of personal space and boundaries to get to you just because you're famous...all of that can be so overwhelming and the minute you speak out, you're branded as ungrateful. "You signed up for this" is something we've all heard many, many times over the years. No we fucking didn't, mate. Anyway, enjoy this killer song!

BILLY
Quote:
"If us creating our own label and moving away from the fluffy stuff on our "About Time" album was Weekend 2.0 then I'm viewing this as Weekend 3.0 for sure. This is an upgrade and it's the most natural thing ever. There's no pretence, agenda, image that we're trying to achieve. I believe we've just naturally entered a brand new phase in our career. Obviously, we're tapping into much more serious stuff in terms of lyrics. That's a given. We've lived fast and hard. This isn't a case of like back in the day when we made an album because we were contracted or felt pressure to appease. We've got loads of shit to say and express. We've all developed as writers but when I'm most proud of is how we've blossomed as musicians. The arrangement of this track? The layers and density of the sound? How fucking epic it is? The lads we were back in 2011 could never have pulled something like this out of the bag."

"Though, speaking of the old days, I think a huge reason why this song works so well is that it has very similar vocal arrangements to the stuff on our first album. Oscar opens the track and has quite a lengthy stay. Back in the day, he was our lead and he'd leave a few crumbs for me if I was lucky. Dusty also has a prominent part which again is similar to how it was back then. Me and Ri are doing the pre-choruses...it is all so nostalgic but we're amped up, turned up to 100 this time. We're writing and singing more confidently than ever. Dustyn's still on the guitar but playing like he's never played before. My man Riley produced it and it sounds sleeker and more credible than anything the producers we were forced to work with ever inflicted upon us."

"This entire song is a testament to Weekend. It's been a running theme from day one. Never, ever count us out."

CRITICAL RECEPTION

Critical reception of "Violent Devotion" has been universally positive upon the song's surprise release. The track has been lauded for a variety of reasons, from composition, to vocal performance, to artistic growth. Many critics instantly dubbed the song as Weekend's "best release yet". Ali Butler of The Guardian gave the song a 5 star rating, stating, Expertly crafted to make you feel all the chills and drama that they intended, Weekend draw on 13 years worth of knowledge, rock star lifestyles and an undying passion to create what can only be described as their musical masterpiece." For music magazine Clash, Rodrigo Sherbal branded the song as the result of a "concoction of their years of experience alongside a bold embracing of new ideas". Sherbal then went on to call the track, "innovative", "brilliant" and "haunting".

Writing for Pitchfork Calista Goddard praised the return of Oscar Ward to the forefront, stating, "While a whole new era for Weekend, there's something instantly nostalgic and comforting hearing Ward's deep, brooding vocals welcome us back. Despite surgeries and taking a back seat over the years, Oscar sounds better than ever and seems to be slipping back into his role as commanding frontman with ease." Andi Wade of NME claimed that the song was "daring" and "intense" before highlighting Dustyn Blue-Conners' bass guitar playing and Riley Hamilton's production efforts; "Hamilton somehow manages to tick numerous contradictory boxes with his exquisite production. Paired with Blue-Conners' brooding, intricate guitar twanging, "Violent Devotion" simultaneously houses an earworm of a pop synth line alongside a progression and structure that is not akin to regular radio rotation. The vocals also sound to be expertly polished yet appear hopeless and detached, almost going zero gravity against the heavy track."

Gary Branning of Rolling Stone called the song "quite possibly the crown jewel in Weekend's discography". He then went on to praise their musical growth and switch in genre, writing; "This isn't simply another earworm offering from Weekend for legions of pop lovers to enjoy and harass radio stations to play. Instead, "Violent Devotion" is not only a pivotal shift in Weekend's career but undoubtedly a cultural landmark. With its surprise release, stark soundscape and heavy content, today is the day everybody's favourite boy band signed off. The peach fuzz covered teenage boys who ran along that beach in the "Everything About You" video all those years ago have ceased to be for Weekend have finally made that all important transition from boy band to man band."

"VIOLENT DEVOTION"

ALL
BILLY
DUSTYN
OSCAR
RILEY
SCOTT

The attention to detail is a cut above
The adoration is all laced with drugs
Thin line between fantasy and madness
How much more power can this harness?
Sometimes, I don't wanna know these answers

The rocket took off way too quick
White knuckled, I need my seatbelt fixed
To be down to earth, have to bare the soul
Is this a safe space to relinquish control?
Sometimes, I don't wanna hear these answers

Childhood dreams and lifetime wishes
Bursting at the seams and growing vicious
All I ever wanted was to feel some love
When does affection become too much?

Behind the glass, it can never leave
Set it all in amber, frame and freeze
At times, you get used to the motions
Don't worry, it's just violent devotion
Taking in water for the greater good
To be your treasure under the weight of the blue
Put a pin in every other emotion
Riding the wave of this violent devotion

Heart-shaped eyes watch me on the internet
Living their lives by my less than average intellect
Affecting masses in a way that's almost spiritual
How can I be a beacon and still feel invisible?
Sometimes, I wish I had all these answers

Behind the mic, pressures to be profound
Stuck inside goalposts when I try to make a sound
To entertain becomes so bittersweet
Why do my silly little words become philosophy?
Sometimes, I'm too scared of these answers

Childhood dreams and lifetime wishes
Bursting at the seams and growing vicious
Cards are dealt, the assigning's done
Am I brave enough to check if I've won?

It's only love, it's nothing drastic
So, suck it all up and package it in plastic

Childhood dreams...
Turning vicious...
Childhood dreams...
Turning vicious...
It's too much

Childhood dreams...
Turning vicious...
Childhood dreams...
Turning vicious...
It's too much
It's too much

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 5 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 19/10/2024(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 19/10/2024(UTC), Head South Records on 19/10/2024(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/10/2024(UTC), erich hess on 24/10/2024(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2024 20:08:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8696 time(s) in 2731 post(s)
Ashford: It's been too long, guys! Seeing where you guys are now with your music and the growth over the years is remarkable. It's always difficult to say 'best song yet' but this is certainly your 'most mature song yet', the way you've managed to incorporate different elements to your work, the moody synth and hints at rock influences in this track is beautiful to hear. Congrats on the single, you raise the bar with every release and this is no exception!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 23/10/2024(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2024 03:11:07(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18014 time(s) in 10475 post(s)
Erich:it's one of those things i don't think people understand until they're on the other side of it. Songs about fame can certainly be self indulgent. but musicians write what they feel. It IS a mind fuck to be famous. I've been around weekend and honestly,I understand every god damned issue they all have. Even billy. I'd off myself after an hour of that shit being my life.

Ooc: I always thought this art was amazing.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.