logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#21 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:20:13(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
++__++ wrote:
That is why I'm saying your beliefs have no defending standpoints. As a Nihilist, I simply despise all other religions because they are all too folly and ridiculous. I'm sorry to offend anyone, but I have my opinions, just like any one of you.

That's not nihilism. Nihilism is belief in nothing, or more accurately, lack of belief in anything.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline ++__++  
#22 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:21:51(UTC)
++__++

Groups: Registered

Gildermershina wrote:
++__++ wrote:
That is why I'm saying your beliefs have no defending standpoints. As a Nihilist, I simply despise all other religions because they are all too folly and ridiculous. I'm sorry to offend anyone, but I have my opinions, just like any one of you.

That's not nihilism. Nihilism is belief in nothing, or more accurately, lack of belief in anything.

I wasn't stating my beliefs in the above statement, I was stating my criticizm over other beliefs.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#23 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:26:03(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
++__++ wrote:
I believe our existance is pointless, and no matter what we do, that's the way it'll be. So live life however the fuck you want to, since there are no reasons not to.

There many things wrong with that statement.

First of all, how could our existent be pointless, there must be a reason to why we are here otherwise we wouldn't be here. Religion or no religion, you cannot live life however you want to. There are rules that will stop you from doing whatever you want to.
Offline ++__++  
#24 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:33:38(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
I believe our existance is pointless, and no matter what we do, that's the way it'll be. So live life however the fuck you want to, since there are no reasons not to.

First of all, how could our existent be pointless, there must be a reason to why we are here otherwise we wouldn't be here. Religion or no religion, you cannot live life however you want to. There are rules that will stop you from doing whatever you want to.

Does the bible say its wrong? lol

Now then, I see you strongly believe that we are created from some huge means. I do believe in a god, but I do not believe he is the almighty you think he is. I believe there is an existance higher than god himself to the point where there are infinite gods. We are no more than just a toy for whoever created us. The christians invented a bible, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's god's words. God created us because we are like ants. And whoever created him, did the same. But overall, all society and existance is pointless and has no value.
#25 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:37:58(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

Now then, I see you strongly believe that we are created from some huge means. I do believe in a god, but I do not believe he is the almighty you think he is. I believe there is an existance higher than god himself to the point where there are infinite gods. We are no more than just a toy for whoever created us. The christians invented a bible, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's god's words. God created us because we are like ants. And whoever created him, did the same. But overall, all society and existance is pointless and has no value.

Your contradicting yourself so much you don't make no sense, you said you don't believe in anything.
Offline ++__++  
#26 Posted : 14 September 2009 03:39:11(UTC)
++__++

stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
++__++ wrote:

Your contradicting yourself so much you don't make no sense, you said you don't believe in anything.

No, I said WE'RE not anything.
Offline Thorgrim  
#27 Posted : 14 September 2009 04:09:09(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

You're all a bunch of pseudo intellectual pussies! AH-HA!

UserPostedImage
Offline old.gregg  
#28 Posted : 14 September 2009 05:36:22(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thorgrim wrote:
You're all a bunch of pseudo intellectual pussies! AH-HA!

UserPostedImage

Post of the month goes to you, sir. :P
-
Offline Aj  
#29 Posted : 14 September 2009 05:47:51(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Human's are so arrogant to think 'there must be a reason' to all life. Plus, life has the point of advancement of the race, basically, = not really any point at all. So in my opinion you should live life however the hell you want to and make as many people happy as you can and then your furfilling all that can be asked of you. No point devoting your life to worshiping a god and not enjoying the time you have here. You should live day's one at a time and make everyone one amazing, and you should do good things out of will rather than because of fear of being harmed by something.

:)

Oh, and yes science is :P

Edited by user 14 September 2009 05:49:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Raphaela  
#30 Posted : 14 September 2009 07:16:32(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Yes, we're here because of one thing: our parents decided to have sex and didn't use any contraceptives.
TA DA, that's the reason why you're here.

I don't think science is a religion, Fokboy and Gildy pretty much said what I think.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Gildermershina  
#31 Posted : 14 September 2009 10:04:17(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Think of your education and your position in western society as a gift that allows you the luxury of choosing your own purpose.
Offline bikz  
#32 Posted : 14 September 2009 23:49:52(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
On a slightly different note, to Stephanie - saying that "God hates you" is not a Christian thing to say.
1. The whole "God hates fags" movement is farcical. See http://www.lgcm.org.uk for some good essays on Christianity and homosexuality.
2. If you believe that God hates you because you are a sinner - all humans are sinners, and if God is love, surely he can't hate all of us! Timothy Keller, in "The Reason For God", describes a church as "a hospital of sinners rather than a museum of saints". People become Christian to confess their sin to Christ, not to become Christ.
There, that's my piece on that. Now back on topic.

No, I do not see science, evolution, Darwinism, etc. as a religion; nor do I see it as the "anti-religion". On science and Abrahamic religions, it's (shock horror!) possible to believe in both. I went to a Christian school, and we were taught that God made the world in six days - but, we were also taught that it does not specify in the Bible that these "days" were 24 hours. God's days could have been millions, billions of years to us, and "day" is only used as a metaphor for the creation of the Sabbath.
As for science and pagan religions, my personal belief. I believe both in deity, and in evolution. The Gods created the Big Bang, and it all went from there. Though natural selection took its course, who started it off, kept watch over it, and made plans for humans to become the intelligent beings that they are? The Gods did.

I'm not going to be fundamentalist about this and say that I'm right, you're wrong, there's no other way. I accept Christian and other religious beliefs (though I'm a bit dodgy about annoying "you're going to hell" types), and agnostic, atheistic and scientific-only beliefs. I have what I believe, you have what you believe.
I refer you to this James lyric, a verse from "The Shining" (a beautiful song, and lyrically a great piece on religion) -
There are no promises that anyone can speak, the future's full of secrets, the past will never keep.
Neither religion nor science can make promises that they have the whole truth.
The future's full of secrets, and no religion can honestly say that it has all the answers.
The past will never keep, and science may have some proof, but cannot prove everything.

We have belief, we have faith - but we do not have answers. This is, in my opinion, the best way to see it.

Have I contradicted myself? I don't know. I just hope that I've made some sort of point.

Edited by user 15 September 2009 02:22:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline Gildermershina  
#33 Posted : 15 September 2009 03:12:46(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah, the ultimate goal of science, ie. total universal knowledge, is fundamentally impossible because something within a seemingly closed system cannot observe that system in full. But science itself applies to small problems one at a time, in order to cumulatively amass as much knowledge as possible, answering questions from the bottom up. Religion seeks to answer all questions in one fell swoop, from the top down. At some point science starts pushing up religion, but because Religion answers unanswerable questions it will never entirely displace religion.
#34 Posted : 15 September 2009 07:10:05(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

I never said God Hates anybody.
Offline bikz  
#35 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:54:21(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:

My fault, I must have misread. Sorry. (:
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
#36 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:56:08(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

bikz wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

My fault, I must have misread. Sorry. (:

It's ok, we are all human :)
Offline sharinganerror  
#37 Posted : 23 September 2009 08:21:38(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Aj wrote:
Human's are so arrogant to think 'there must be a reason' to all life. Plus, life has the point of advancement of the race, basically, = not really any point at all. So in my opinion you should live life however the hell you want to and make as many people happy as you can and then your furfilling all that can be asked of you. No point devoting your life to worshiping a god and not enjoying the time you have here. You should live day's one at a time and make everyone one amazing, and you should do good things out of will rather than because of fear of being harmed by something.

One question... how did life start, and how did what caused life to start, start? and what made the thing start making the thing that started making life start? What makes a euglena cease to photosynthesize after a few days without light, what makes it become heterotrophic AND autotrophic? simple question, stupid answers.
Offline sharinganerror  
#38 Posted : 23 September 2009 08:31:04(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
bikz wrote:
On a slightly different note, to Stephanie - saying that "God hates you" is not a Christian thing to say.
1. The whole "God hates fags" movement is farcical. See http://www.lgcm.org.uk for some good essays on Christianity and homosexuality.
2. If you believe that God hates you because you are a sinner - all humans are sinners, and if God is love, surely he can't hate all of us! Timothy Keller, in "The Reason For God", describes a church as "a hospital of sinners rather than a museum of saints". People become Christian to confess their sin to Christ, not to become Christ.
There, that's my piece on that. Now back on topic.

No, I do not see science, evolution, Darwinism, etc. as a religion; nor do I see it as the "anti-religion". On science and Abrahamic religions, it's (shock horror!) possible to believe in both. I went to a Christian school, and we were taught that God made the world in six days - but, we were also taught that it does not specify in the Bible that these "days" were 24 hours. God's days could have been millions, billions of years to us, and "day" is only used as a metaphor for the creation of the Sabbath.
As for science and pagan religions, my personal belief. I believe both in deity, and in evolution. The Gods created the Big Bang, and it all went from there. Though natural selection took its course, who started it off, kept watch over it, and made plans for humans to become the intelligent beings that they are? The Gods did.

I'm not going to be fundamentalist about this and say that I'm right, you're wrong, there's no other way. I accept Christian and other religious beliefs (though I'm a bit dodgy about annoying "you're going to hell" types), and agnostic, atheistic and scientific-only beliefs. I have what I believe, you have what you believe.
I refer you to this James lyric, a verse from "The Shining" (a beautiful song, and lyrically a great piece on religion) -
There are no promises that anyone can speak, the future's full of secrets, the past will never keep.
Neither religion nor science can make promises that they have the whole truth.
The future's full of secrets, and no religion can honestly say that it has all the answers.
The past will never keep, and science may have some proof, but cannot prove everything.

We have belief, we have faith - but we do not have answers. This is, in my opinion, the best way to see it.

Have I contradicted myself? I don't know. I just hope that I've made some sort of point.

Also on another note, creationism leads to huge leaps in academic progress for basic education here in the states. I'm currently acing honors biology with creationism in mind other than evolution, if I finish it in 9th grade(which I plan on considering I can go and take Phys Science now that I skipped it), I would already have enough credits to get me into college biology. I have yet to know of a curriculum in the american education system based on evolution that can get me into two years of college biology just from completing the book itself. Creationistic biology isn't as preachy as you think, it tells you basically everything a journal of medicine would, without you reading that "blah blah blah eventually evolved into yada yada" and still retaining all scientific fact.
Offline Aj  
#39 Posted : 23 September 2009 08:42:08(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
Aj wrote:

One question... how did life start, and how did what caused life to start, start? and what made the thing start making the thing that started making life start? What makes a euglena cease to photosynthesize after a few days without light, what makes it become heterotrophic AND autotrophic? simple question, stupid answers.

What's your point? I've already said I believe there is something that causes things to happen for a reason, but that doesn't mean that we as humans are any more special than any other race out their in the universe, and so despite the fact I think things happen for a reason, I believe that that reason is on a universal scale. And so really your life is what you make of it and not what any god makes of it. Your given your own devices and you make what you make of it. If you don't do anything with your life that's your fault and no one else's.

In fact my beliefs have slightly modified recently, I don't believe that the 'thing' has any say on what happens on a scale any smaller than galaxies whatsoever. In fact my beliefs are now limited to the thing just starting the big bang. I think it's more of a Star Wars like 'force' power which is everything around us and inside us and it's all powerful but yet has no power at all. Like you give it the power rather than it giving you the power. For instance 'god' doesn't give you the checklist of things to do, you have to make your own checklist and do it on your own and therefore you give the power to what is around you. You change what is around you, what is around you doesn't change for you. All God did was set it all up, and now we do whatever we can with it. And if you truly believe in yourself that you have done the most you could with your life, and you are happy with what you've accomplished, then I think that in itself is a type of heaven, rather than the conventional 'up in the clouds' idea.
Offline Rincewind  
#40 Posted : 23 September 2009 09:29:31(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
the beutifull thing about dna is that we can examine the differences and similarities between different species on a genetical level...

For example, did you know that we as Humans share the same bit of dna encoding that controls growth and development, with say a house fly.... We share 92% of the same dna with a mouse....
Using dna you can trace a species evolution and work out when different species diverged from each other and thus evolved seperatly.
a facinating fact is that if we look at the dna of many many different species we see the same bit of dna encoding for the eyes, proving that eyes did not evolve several times in different places, but infact probably evolved just onces and then we passed down to every other species from this one organism say one billion years ago.

a really good program to watch is "what Dawin didn't know" which was broadcast on BBC4 a while ago...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00h6sbt
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants