logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#61 Posted : 17 February 2010 22:41:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Yeah, and it's not like it's hard to just add it on in each state. States are the size of European countries. You just add it on along with your profit. Simple.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#62 Posted : 18 February 2010 09:03:30(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Yeah, and it's not like it's hard to just add it on in each state. States are the size of European countries. You just add it on along with your profit. Simple.

That is technically illegal if I understand things correctly. I believe the way that Congress has interpreted the Interstate Commerce Clause is that state taxes are added at the point of sale because it would hurt uniform pricing across state lines for nationally sold products. So that McDouble is a dollar across the country on the menu and then each state adds its tax on top of that. I could be wrong though, I haven't really looked too far into it.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#63 Posted : 18 February 2010 15:19:10(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

That is technically illegal if I understand things correctly. I believe the way that Congress has interpreted the Interstate Commerce Clause is that state taxes are added at the point of sale because it would hurt uniform pricing across state lines for nationally sold products. So that McDouble is a dollar across the country on the menu and then each state adds its tax on top of that. I could be wrong though, I haven't really looked too far into it.

Are you implying average Americans are smart enough to be able to count the tax in their heads to make sure they have enough money to cover a purchase, but not smart enough to work out that the reason something would have a lower tax-included sticker price across the border is that the tax is lower there? How does that even make sense?

We have uniform 17.5%. Yet in America people moan about 6% and how they shouldn't have to pay taxes because apparently giving money to your government with a mandate to improve services and infrastructure is COMMUNIST and EVIL, but giving it to a corporation with a mandate to increase profit is PATRIOTIC and APPROVED-BY-JESUS.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#64 Posted : 18 February 2010 18:26:14(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Are you implying average Americans are smart enough to be able to count the tax in their heads to make sure they have enough money to cover a purchase, but not smart enough to work out that the reason something would have a lower tax-included sticker price across the border is that the tax is lower there? How does that even make sense?

We have uniform 17.5%. Yet in America people moan about 6% and how they shouldn't have to pay taxes because apparently giving money to your government with a mandate to improve services and infrastructure is COMMUNIST and EVIL, but giving it to a corporation with a mandate to increase profit is PATRIOTIC and APPROVED-BY-JESUS.

Again it is more of an advertisers lobbying Congress thing from my point of view. How can I run a national ad campaign for my dollar double cheeseburger if its $1.08 in Indiana, $1.07 in Illinois, $1.10 in New York, and so on. Any American that hears "Dollar double cheeseburger" is going to be pissed when the menu says $1.07 but has no problem seeing $1 on the menu and knowing tax is going to make it cost more.

The fear of paying taxes isn't because we don't want the government to do its job or because its communist. It is a historical thing that we have never shaken. We are taught from the minute we are old enough to read that taxes are bad because long ago we got taxed by the Brits without our proper representation in Parliament. Being taught that (regardless how true or untrue it is) makes all of us have a thing against taxes.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline forkboy  
#65 Posted : 18 February 2010 20:05:51(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Which is silly, because you know DO have representation.

Man, George III was a prick and so was Lord North, the then British PM.

America should have gotten independence with the rest of the fucking colonies, in the late 19th century through dominion status and then properly early in the 20th century. The world would be a better place.