logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:03:04(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Welcome...

The Lost have announced their next album, titled Violence With Violins is now set for release on February 20th. The album will be their first album since their hiatus back in December 09. The album's going to see a return to the bands more alternative rock side, with little bit's of experimental music here and there. The album, as hinted by it's title, will feature large use of classical instruments on some of the tracks and their first single, Child's Play, showed that off to great effect. The band plan to release a second single on the 15th of February and a final one on the 25th. The band are also going to do an interview on the 17th of February.

UserPostedImage

- Artwork -

- Tracklisting -

1. Child's Play
An alternative rock song, bringing in some punk, indie and folk influences in comes up with a great album opener. Musically these elemants alone would leave it quite simple, however the contrasting injection of a brass band and a strings section sets it apart and gives it added depth and meaning. An opener more to hook you in and intrigue you then, rather than you smash you in the balls and throw you in head first. Lyrically, the song is actually quite subtly political and anti-large corporations. The speak of how everyone is controlled and narrow minded and never open up their thoughts to anything but the norm, and how the advertising that surrounds everyone force feeds things leaving you no time to explore and have adventures, and to find what life's really about.
2. Round 1
This song is different to the first, injecting a slight hint of chaotic psychedelia into the proceedings. An almost Smith's like hook, mated with an insane drum beat pulled off to perfection by Leslie, eerie vocals and to top it all off a bass line to die for, it's one of the best song's on the album. Completely contrasting to the first one in terms of tempo, and also very experimental. The punk shows through here, but mainly it's a psychedelic alt rock track. We got the lovely ladies with the violins in, and they added yet another layer of depth to it. The brass wasn't here on this song but it wasn't really needed, and any more instruments it would have sounded not as good as it does now. However, we did give Liam a tiny bit of a play on the synth and the keyboard, not a lot just on the chorus's and it shows off brilliantly.
3. Beethoven
This one see's a more of a compromise between the last two songs, with one violin, a piano, an acoustic guitar and drums this song is far more raw, as are Ben's vocals in this. The song's lyrics are painful and upsetting - a conversation between a man and himself, on the topic of life after death as he breaks it to himself in his final moments that there is nothing. Music wise, as I said it's rough, ready, simple but provide the perfect backdrop to the lyrics. An emotional performance from the band, Liam actually played the piano on this one and it shows he's a bit of a dab hand at it. The tempo increases and decreases, and as it's quite long builds up to an emotional crescendo with a violin solo for about 45 seconds.
4. Bach
Couldn't be more different to to one before it. This one's got a massive brass band behind it, a whole orchestra, a rhythm guitar (played by Leo Benson of Failed Youth), a lead guitar played by Favourite Son, a bass guitar played by Liam, drums by Leslie and vocals in a threesum with Ben, Liam and Favourite Son. Working with the brass bands and the orchestra's was amazing and extremely nervewracking for us. Luckily, the liked the music Liam had written and we all had an amazing time performing it. This one will certainly be interesting to play live. Lyrically, the song doesn't have an awful lot of meaning as the whole song is sung in gibberish! Liam just wrote down some cool sounding words, a mixture of just random sounds and technobabble and it sounds really weird but fantastic. Definitely a testament to Liam's creativity and certainly the most odd track on the album, but one that will stay in the memories of anyone who listens to it.
5. Violence With Violins
The song we named the album over, and definitely a powerful one. Heavily based on violins as the name suggests, the diversity of the genres widen here as it also has a slight bluesy rhythm to it. We also got an also banjo player in called Steve, and we had an African Bongo band in to help out. Lyrically this song's pretty powerful to, it's mainly a punk-anarchy based track at heart but its uses large governments and stereotypes to illustrate the little pieces of these things in everyone, and that human beings are greedy no matter what we try. It screams out against the failures of evolution to create a more intelligent species than us and how we rage wars against one another even though they're all proventable. This track was written by Favourite Son, Liam and Ben so it's a big collection of all their writing styles and it's paid off awesomely.
6. Romance For Our Eyes Only
This song's about heroin, however the lyrics personify it as a woman. It was written by Ben, as he has first hand experience with the drug, and it tells of how he did it in secret. Like a forbidden love affair, so tender and close. The lyrics are touching and emotive, and the song's mainly about heartbreak and love. Musically, it's the slowest song on the album and is a return to The Lost's acoustic abilities. Violins are played in the background, but only quietly and the main centrepiece in this song is Ben's voice and the guitar which was played by Favourite Son. Probably the most tear-jerking of the songs on the album and definitely an emotional one.
7. White Like Snow
Based again on drugs, however this one's much more different. Rather than about the addiction, it's about the feeling and the excitement. The vibrancy of the high. Like cocaine, it's fast hard hitting and violent. The punk vocals screaming over the garagey-neo-psychedelia, merging in with the vicious violin playing creates an orgasm of sound that rattles your brain. Lyrically it's happy and excited, yet the dark unique tone Ben adds with his tortured yells make you constantly reminded that behind this high there is a darker side.
8. Listen To The Drums
This track, unsurprisingly, is heavily focused on drums. So much so in fact, it's actually just some drums and a guitar. It's fully instrumental, all five minutes of it, and is quite experimental. It builds in tempo, reaching a massive point and then dropping you down, never breaking in atmosphere and emotion. The song sways from genre to genre, mixing together to make a journey of sound.
9. Moons of Jupiter
Back onto the psychedelic, this ones actually a bit of a progressive crossover. The guitars on this are distorted heavily with a whole heap of synth effects laid on their by Liam, and although it features none of the classical instruments you've seen in the earlier parts of the album it does feature some more jazzy instruments which come in around mid-way. Again, like 'Listen To The Drums', this song has a certain amount of build up to it and it's really dramatic. The lyrics are about fame and success and the meaning of life. Lyrically, deep, and not really as personal as the rest of the album, instead its more of a self help song.
10. Metropolis
Finally, at the very end, a track that has Liam on the vocals. Taking influence from Liam's Doom metal side project, The Schadenfreude Ecdysiast, we thought we'd throw in a real nut case of a last track. I really don't know what genre you'd call this. It's a kind of experimental-doom-dark ambient-psychedelic-garage-punk love child. I guess DBM would call it Madcore. But yeah, brilliant track and Liam's diverse vocal style really comes across here. We're releasing this as the final single, and it should be a corker. A fantastic way to end the album!

Edited by user 23 February 2010 06:55:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:04:49(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Stephanie Fierce: Wonderful and creative title! Very amazed!
Offline troy211619  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:16:06(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Tristan:This would be really awesome, and good luck guys!
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:19:50(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
"Shit, I never knew being going for two months was a hiatus. I consider that more of a short-term break. Anyways, it's an alternative rock record, which I'm a sucker for, so I'll listen to it when it comes out."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

Edited by user 04 February 2010 08:20:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2010 10:28:52(UTC)
Aj

Man

PANIC! wrote:
"Shit, I never knew being going for two months was a hiatus. I consider that more of a short-term break. Anyways, it's an alternative rock record, which I'm a sucker for, so I'll listen to it when it comes out."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

We announced it as a hiatus when it happened, because we weren't decided as to whether or not we'd be back but things advanced quicker than we thought. Oh, but don't worry, I'm sure the world would be very thankful if you took a two month hiatus.

Ben
Offline The Nimrods  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2010 10:30:27(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Jimmy:Looks like my best friends are back in business, you guys need a producer?
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Aj  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2010 10:49:44(UTC)
Aj

Man

The Nimrods wrote:
Jimmy:Looks like my best friends are back in business, you guys need a producer?

Sure thing man your welcome! I'll be a lot more involved with it this time round but definitely yeah, sounds good man. We've already started recording so whenever your free let's get it together and we can make this our best album yet.

Liam

Offline Aj  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2010 09:34:45(UTC)
Aj

Man

Full tracklisting up. When's it all going to happen:

15th February - Second Single
17th February - Interview
20th February - Album Released

Updates coming soon.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
Offline Aj  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2010 23:28:37(UTC)
Aj

Man

It's released. It's out. It's mental. Buy it.

Oh, and song DESCRIP's coming up soon as well as the interview.

ooc: Sorry guys, I broke up with my girlfriend, was hardly in the mood.
User is suspended until 11/08/2288 11:47:34(UTC) Greenleaf  
#10 Posted : 21 February 2010 01:27:56(UTC)
Greenleaf

Green Leaf: You guys are one of our inspirations, we love your work and we all just bought the album. It is extremely good!

UserPostedImage

YES I am.......
Offline Aj  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2010 06:59:04(UTC)
Aj

Man

Song descriptions are all up, CHART POSITIONS are as follows!

UK: 3
USA: 2
CANADA: 5
AZ&NZ: 1
STHAM: 36
WORLD: 55

WOOO! Awesome chart positions, and the albums sold well over 164,000 copies! Fucking awesome! Thanks Oz!

Ben
Offline infinite135  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2010 07:16:37(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Eric: What a great week for music! First Reckoner's debut album, and now this. Keep up the great work, guys! The title is one of the most creative i've seen in a while.
Matt: For once, i actually agree with you.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King