logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2010 20:34:06(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim Dunn of Axiom appeared this morning on X-103, the major Indianapolis rock station, to promote Axiom's new single The Auto Effect. While on the air he didn't back down from making some jabs at pop music and the rest of the industry. Audio of the interview is available below.

X-103: It is great to have you here this morning Tim.

Dunn: It is great to be here, I haven't been in Indy for a while.

X-103: So you are hear to promote your new single, The Auto Effect. Now this is unlike anything Axiom has ever done, it's a pop song right?

Dunn: Yea, it is more of a satirical look at a lot of mainstream pop. Mike and I were talking a few weeks ago about how modern mainstream pop music is really not that great musically at all. We were talking about all the different effects that they throw into songs just because its popular and auto-tune kept coming up. Don't get me wrong, the first few times I heard songs use auto-tune to actually change the tone of the voice I thought it was a cool idea. It was something I definitely wanted to explore further on my own, but now every song throws it in there because it is what people like. I told Mike I could write an auto-tune drenched pop song that would be better than anything else out there right now and that's where The Auto Effect came from.

X-103: So you really don't like pop music?

Dunn: Current pop music definitely. Pop used to be a lot more experimental, more musically free. I mean anymore it is so bland and boring. I mean all of the mainstream pop stuff. I don't care if it's GirlSpice or Stephanie Fierce it's all bland. It is so musically restrictive. I mean with Stephanie Fierce there is this quote-unquote invention of the genre "Fiercepop." What the hell is that all about? It is all the same musically safe dance pop. Every once in a while someone takes a risk, but even then the risks are small. Stuff like controversial lyrics or some small musical experimentation. Nothing that will make you stand up and say, that is it that is the future of pop music.

X-103: And The Auto Effect is your attack on all of that then?

Dunn: Well not just pop music but the industry as well. Anymore it isn't about the music it is about the fame. I mean we live in an age where you can be famous by literally just being famous, look at Paris Hilton. What did she do to get famous other than be born to a rich family? That falls on both sides, the industries that keep putting these people into the spotlight and the public for eating it up.

X-103: Do you think that drive to fame has taken over the music industry?

Dunn: I'm not that cynical. I know there are plenty of musicians out there who genuinely do care about the music and about the fans. I would be lying if I didn't care about the money because I do. Being paid for my music allows me to focus on it full time, I don't need to have a day job to pay the bills and I am grateful that I can do something as beautiful as this for a living. At the same time there are plenty of bands and artists that flood the entertainment news world with constant streams of information. It seems like they spend more time working on creating news and gossip than they do working on their music.

X-103: It seems like there is a lot about the music industry that you don't like. Is there anyone or any bands that you admire?

Dunn: One that is fresh on everyone's minds is Ryan Ross Hernandez. I did some shows with him when Axiom opened for PANIC! and he just seems like he gets it. He just did a massive interview in Rolling Stone and it makes me even more sure that he gets it. I mean I have been around for a while, from my days at Midnight/Mythic and then even before that when I was in The Electric Experiment and playing showcases for all those legendary labels like Rejected Records or Yo and Oy I have seen and met a lot of people and Ryan is one of the ones I really admire. I mean we aren't real close friends or anything like that but I just think he has a solid head on his shoulders. You know he seems to get that he has transitioned from rock star to full blown celebrity and he is managing everything. It seems like it was just his natural career progressing rather than him trying to get there as quick as possible. And even now that Ryan is a celebrity it seems like he wants to use this platform and power that he has been given as a creative outlet. Lots of ambition in that kid. Someday I might give him a call and float him a few songs I wrote that I don't think Axiom could pull off but he could.

X-103: Well thanks for coming out Tim. We are running out of time and I know you brought your guitar and you wanted to play something for us.

Dunn: I have an oldie to play. This is from my days in The Electric Experiment, it is called Forgiveness.

Tim strums a few quick chords on his acoustic guitar before beginning an acoustic rendition of his classic ballad.

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline gumba  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2010 00:12:48(UTC)
gumba

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I applaud everything about this interview. Except the interviewer, he was average. But Tim, wow, you said it all man, great job.

- Stephen Holland
Pilot are: Nick Edmondson (vocals, guitar), Clint Walkingshaw (guitar, vocals), Murrray Catalano (guitar, keys), Andrew Blackwell (bass), Stephen Holland (drums, vocals)

Pants Festival are: Andrew "Rooster" Dunnell (vocals), Kuhilan "Ku" Gounder (guitar), Stephen "Popa" Poepjes (guitar, vocals), Clinton "Gandy" Gandy (bass), Matt Hanson (drums, vocals)

Labrats are: Milton Mitchell (vocals, synths, guitar), Lara Branik (guitar), Liam Mitchell (synths, turntables), Preston Abelford (bass), Bonnie Snell (drums)
Offline troy211619  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2010 01:08:08(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Troy:Hmm, I'd have to say you are totally right. I mean the industry is going crazy these days over pop music but pop is not whole music but some auto tune stuff plus some average lyrics spiced up by beats they didn't even create and all those dances in the music videos, but where is the REAL MUSIC that everybody has been hungry for the past few years. The people today need music!!
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Moquel  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2010 10:44:39(UTC)
Moquel

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 964 post(s)
Moquel: Great interview and also a great informational for the album!
UserPostedImage