logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2010 06:37:00(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Digital Distribution is the next step for media, that has become apparent. The question is do we want it or are we ready for it. Some people have predicted that digital distribution will become the norm in the next 5 years. Is this a good thing? Is it something you want? Are you against it because of DRM issues?

For me personally I don't think digital distribution will become the norm in 5 years. I think for it to even become equal to physical media (in terms of sales) it will take 10-15 years, unless the content providers force the switch on us by removing or limiting the availability of physical media. Myself, and many others I'm sure, still prefer to have a physical copy to hold. When I buy a movie, CD, or video game I want to be able to look at the back of the box, read liner notes, have a full color manual, the kind of things digital distribution doesn't provide.

Has digital distribution made the available media content better? I think it has. There are games such as Braid that are fantastic, one of the best I have played, that could not have survived in a traditional brick and mortar packaged goods store. iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, Zune Marketplace, and even artists' personal websites have allowed me access to music I would not be able to purchase in my local record stores. Hell digital distribution has allowed people to obtain music for free (read: illegally) for over 10 years. E-readers allow me to carry volumes upon volumes of literature with me wherever I go.

There are plenty more benefits to physical media as well. Do you want to loan your friend a movie, game, or CD? Well you can't because the DRM only allows you to use the content on your device while logged in with your account and password. Did your hard drive die or did you clean install a new OS? Well your device has changed so you need to use another of your limited number of licenses to authorize the same computer to use the content, and if you are out of licenses that sucks for you.

Digital content is definitely an important part of the future but I am not ready for it to be the only show in town.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Synxhard  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2010 06:57:59(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hmmm, well, as a full-time struggling musician, I'm required to hate illegal downloading of any type, and the way I see it, there will always be illegal downloading as long there's digital media. That is all.
Offline TheCDs  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2010 07:02:20(UTC)
TheCDs

Synxhard wrote:
Hmmm, well, as a full-time struggling musician, I'm required to hate illegal downloading of any type, and the way I see it, there will always be illegal downloading as long there's digital media. That is all.

But digital media also allows you an avenue to release your music at a cost much lower than actually pressing CDs and to a much wider audience.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Synxhard  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2010 07:10:14(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

See, but that's the point. The cost is wayyyy lower, and usually we (the musicians) don't get paid shit for it. I'm sure the dudes in U2 who are making 108 million a year don't mind this stuff, but for me personally, I count on every penny to make my 20,000 bucks a year average.
Offline bvgf  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2010 07:22:01(UTC)
bvgf

Man

TheCDs wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

But digital media also allows you an avenue to release your music at a cost much lower than actually pressing CDs and to a much wider audience.

However sometimes on iTunes and online music download sites the albums cost more than a CD.I once bought an Insomniac CD for $9 when on iTunes it costs $17.00.
Personally i think digital downloading is made for cheapskates.I don't get a lot and have thought about it once or twice but never have done it.It can take down artists sales.I mean the struggling people need all the money they can get.(Does anybody remember when Lars Ulrich had a stap at Napster?)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2010 07:27:05(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Synxhard wrote:
See, but that's the point. The cost is wayyyy lower, and usually we (the musicians) don't get paid shit for it. I'm sure the dudes in U2 who are making 108 million a year don't mind this stuff, but for me personally, I count on every penny to make my 20,000 bucks a year average.

I honestly don't see how you can expect to make a living out of selling songs or albums when you're not even signed (from my knowledge) or famous. No matter how much talent you have, marketing is the key to selling. And the only way to actually get into the market is to be signed. Especially since nowadays no one buys stuff from even the biggest legends of music. How do you expect for people to buy yours?

Oh hey I have an album with really good songs recorded by me. I also have a good voice too, so Buy my album! It sonly $4.99.
It doesn't work that way.
Offline Aj  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2010 08:10:19(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

I honestly don't see how you can expect to make a living out of selling songs or albums when you're not even signed (from my knowledge) or famous. No matter how much talent you have, marketing is the key to selling. And the only way to actually get into the market is to be signed. Especially since nowadays no one buys stuff from even the biggest legends of music. How do you expect for people to buy yours?

Oh hey I have an album with really good songs recorded by me. I also have a good voice too, so Buy my album! It sonly $4.99.

You don't make much money from selling songs or album, that in itself is more marketing than anything. Best way to make money is through gigging, and plus if you don't have a label I can only assume more of the money from the gigs go to you? Sure it might make publicity harder, but not impossible.
#8 Posted : 28 February 2010 08:26:03(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Aj wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

You don't make much money from selling songs or album, that in itself is more marketing than anything. Best way to make money is through gigging, and plus if you don't have a label I can only assume more of the money from the gigs go to you? Sure it might make publicity harder, but not impossible.

Reality is that you most likely wont make money that way. It's not as easy as it sounds. And gigging? It's not an easy thing to do. I heard gigging doesn't even get you that much money. Hardly anyone pays you, you more like have to pay them. But the real questions is, who is going to pay to see you?

It's only possible with a label. But I attempted too many times and failed. But of course it's not necessarily impossible.
Offline Gildermershina  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2010 08:52:35(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
It is perfectly straightforward to be a successful recording artist, it just takes a lot of time, effort and talent. For most bands I listen to, very little of it is about marketing. Mostly it's about building an audience one way or another, that will continue to support you.

The attitude some people have is "I can download music if I go to shows and buy a t-shirt once a year" which is so backwards. Touring is underpaid for most musicians.

When it comes to digital distribution, I'm fine with it for PC games, since those don't need to move around. Music though, I want the art. the disc, the box, completely separate from my computer, because to me a large aspect of the experience of music is the object itself. It doesn't seem real to me without a booklet that I will read and absorb and internalise.

I also don't really dig the idea of digital distribution for films, because the way I see it, blu-ray is really stupidly high quality. That's where I want to be. I want films to be something you simply can't download, because it means that you sit down and take it all in, in the best way available to you. I don't see why we'd go all the way to blu-ray and then go "the future is digital distribution."
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
#10 Posted : 28 February 2010 08:54:02(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Gildermershina wrote:
It is perfectly straightforward to be a successful recording artist, it just takes a lot of time, effort and talent. For most bands I listen to, very little of it is about marketing. Mostly it's about building an audience one way or another, that will continue to support you.

The attitude some people have is "I can download music if I go to shows and buy a t-shirt once a year" which is so backwards. Touring is underpaid for most musicians.

When it comes to digital distribution, I'm fine with it for PC games, since those don't need to move around. Music though, I want the art. the disc, the box, completely separate from my computer, because to me a large aspect of the experience of music is the object itself. It doesn't seem real to me without a booklet that I will read and absorb and internalise.

I also don't really dig the idea of digital distribution for films, because the way I see it, blu-ray is really stupidly high quality. That's where I want to be. I want films to be something you simply can't download, because it means that you sit down and take it all in, in the best way available to you. I don't see why we'd go all the way to blu-ray and then go "the future is digital distribution."

I'm actually just talking about if you want to make money which is what he makes it seem like.
Offline Synxhard  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2010 09:34:41(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I'm actually just talking about if you want to make money which is what he makes it seem like.

Nah, don't get me wrong. I'd rather be able to do what I love, which is just playing for the hell of it, than make tons of money. The majority of my income is from selling merch. Currently I've just been lending a hand to anyone who needs it, but in the past I've filled in on drums for Himsa, and the biggest bands I used to be in are Book Of Black Earth and a group called Hatefist (yeah, I know, the name sucks), though I was kicked from BOBE cause I was mugged on the way to a gig, and that was "my fault" and I left Hatefist cause didn't like the direction they were going in.
Offline TheCDs  
#12 Posted : 01 March 2010 07:50:39(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:

I feel the same way for for games and music. I am not against digital distribution for films but I prefer the method that Disney is using now to release movies. They are doing this thing (at least in the US) where one disc (maybe 2 discs, I haven't actually bought a Disney film in a while) has the blu-ray, DVD, and digital copy of the film. I do like having the digital copy because I enjoy taking films with me when I travel but I would never just buy a digital copy of the film.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is