logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline infinite135  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2010 05:31:31(UTC)
infinite135

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
"You guys are acting as if Metallica is up here," Eric Quillington laughed as the band took stage, "Are you sure that you're at the right concert?" As everyone could plainly see, they were as different from Metallica as one possibly could. Their bassit, Matt Roberts, from his musclular figure to his leather black jacket, looked like the only member who looked remotly like he was in a heavy metal band. Their singer/guitarist/pianoist Eric, the most eccentric member of the band, was impossibly skinny with long, dyed blue hair and a formal suit. Greg Oldson looked normal compared to the other two, wearing a normal black shirt and looking like an indie kid.

Moments after the band went on the stage, Greg began the show with a fast-paced drum solo, and was soon joined by Matt, with a funky bassline that would be at home with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. After several minutes of this, Eric began playing guitar, and the song became recognizable amongst fans as Galaxy of Thoughts, a live favorite. From the moment Eric's high voice began singing the song, the fans were immediately singing along, as they would be for almost every song. Even though the song had only been a recent addition to live sets, the audience knew it so well that Eric stopped singing the chorus just to hear the crowd sing it. After the song was over, Eric smiled in suprised and said, "Holy shit... you guys are the best crowd we've ever played for, and that's after the first song. Hopefully you enjoy the other 10!"

Without stopping for even a second between songs, the band peformed Blunt, Unseen, and Silver Eye. While not in any convential way mainstream, the three songs all had energetic performences. Around this time I realized that Infinite was more interested in conveying moods in their songs and lyrics than ideas and stories, and these songs were prime example of it. Blunt seemed to have an almost angry feel to it, with one of the greatest guitar riffs I've ever heard live. Unseen was a sad and melancholy feel to it, with lyrics suggesting it was about unwanted child. Silver Eye was a very unique song; with no guitar at all, the song was driven by a strong bassline and bitter vocals. Hearing the crowd overpower Eric in singing the chorus line of "The world is a lie, as seen through my silver eye." was easily a highlight of the show.

"Thank you, thank you so very much, I hope everyone's enjoying themselves." Eric said, after finishing Silver Eye. "Now, my brother, Rick, is in the audience tonight. At least... he told me he was. Now, my brother's in law school, and I was always pretty sure he was gonna end up doing more successful than me. He probably is, but I sure as hell think I'm having more fun as an 18 year old than he did. Now, I want everybody to help me say hi to him." Without even worrying about whether or not he would be embarrassed, the 200 in attendence all made sure they said hi to Rick. "Well... now he's probably never going to want to come to a concert during his birthday." Eric hummed a couple of bars from the happy birthday song before he realized what he was doing, and quickly said, "This next song is called Willowed Trees."

Following probably the most upbeat song of the night, the band started playing one of their most depressing. Screams of the Lost, a song about suicide, showed Eric as a talented songwriter, as well as showing the depth of which he could sing. With it's low, almost whispiered verses to the falsetto chorus, Eric is a phenomenal singer. Following this song, Matt began a five minute Bass Solo. Showing all of his influences, from Heavy Metal to Funk, the song easily was one of the best, even without the other members playing. After the song, Eric, talking as much to himself as to the crowd, said, "Godamn... we need a title for that."

Eric, without seeming like a showoff, then performed the melody of Smells Like Teen Spirit on the piano. The audience reacted by singing out the entire song, which was quite an amazing thing to hear, and showed the kind of connection that Infinite has with the crowd. Eric's enjoyment of playing the song was almost palpable, and only increased as the crowd sung along. The mood of happiness and energy quickly changed after the song as Eric started playing Idioteque, a radiohead song. Still on the piano, Matt and Greg joined him in playing the menacing and solemn song. Although many people in the crowd hadn't heard the song before, they still reacted with the same approval and applause once it was finished. The menacing mood continued as Infinte played Styx, a piano piece with haunting falsetto vocals. At the end of the song, Eric quickly leapt from his seat and grabbed his guitar. "Alright, I'll stop boring everyone with classical sounding music... who wants to mosh?" Eric asked the crowd, gaining a positive reaction. As the band began to play, Eric jokingly told the audience, "Just don't kill each other. You can do that outside."

"This is our last song, and here's what I want you to do, " started Eric, "I need you all to take as many flash photos as you possibly can. We kind of can't really afford a laser light show, so hopefully this will be the next best thing. Think you guys can do this for us?" After the roar of approval from the audience, Eric smiled and said, "This is a new song, it's called Supernova." Many bands save their best song for last, and Infinite is no exception. The guitar riff alone from that song was enough to drive the crowd into a frenzy. From the energized, soaring vocals to the ferocious beat, this song proved that Infinite was one of the most talented bands around. Instead of a guitar solo, the song finished with an unbelievable bass solo that immediately transfered into a freestyle jam that finished the show. As the band left amidst applause, Eric said one final thing to the crowd, "We're lucky to have fans like you, we hope to see you all again soon!"

Edited by user 17 February 2011 13:26:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King