logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2010 03:18:37(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
The question is this: Is pacifism actually a morally justifiable position to take?

I've been wondering about this myself lately as I think about war and peace and similar things. Pacifism at first glance seems like one of the most noble positions one can possibly take: violence in any circumstance is inexcusable and must be opposed (in a non-violent way). But yet this seems to fall apart on closer investigation, pacifists would have allowed the Serbian genocide in Bosnia to continue unabated, and surely that would be unforgiveable? Is there any evidence that willingly going to the sword without any struggle will move the public and topple tyrants?

Sadly to me at least it seems that a pacifist position is tanatmount to collusion with dictators and murderers.

Thoughts?
Offline Rincewind  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2010 06:38:15(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Ghandi...

even though his movement fell apart after his death and his main follower was shunned in general Indina society. I think Pacifism can work and has been shown to do so. All it neads is a strong enough leader who can inspire.
and anyway pacifism does not just mean sitting back and doing nothing, in a society it means things like peacefull disobedience.. on a national level it mean trade bans, sanctions etc etc.
and anyway in the modern world the monetry supply is more important that the weapons anyway so a pacifistic way of dealing with genocide could be to call the balifs in so to speak.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline TheCDs  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2010 07:59:07(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Pacifism at its core I think is a very noble position. However, there is a thin line between pacifism and apathy. I don't think that true pacifism is the same as colluding with tyrants. As I see pacifism it represents non-violent movements for change, there is some goal or cause. Non-violent protesters of tyrannical governments are doing what they believe is the best option to spur change. You wouldn't say those people are supporting the tyrants.

If you confuse pacifism with apathy then you get to the idea of "support through silence." This idea of apathetic support has been really prevalent in western societies. In WWII propaganda you would have posters such as this one
UserPostedImage
where apathy is analogous with supporting Hitler. Even today we hear things like "if you don't do X then the terrorists win."

Pacifism as a tool for change is the most noble way to try to achieve ones goals, however it isn't always the most effective. War has worked in the past and so we will still always go to what works, regardless of how damaging it can be.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2010 11:16:39(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
My own pacifism stems from my very nature. Even though I studied to Purple Belt in Ju-Jitsu, I was incredibly bad at sparring with actual opponents. Any attempt to hit a person, I somewhat pulled back from, focussing instead on defence.

That said, I'm not actually a great believer in pacifism as protest. It's great as long as everyone involved is a pacifist, or on a small scale. Many times in my school days, the everyday casual bullying that sometimes escalated to the point of actual physical violence, I managed to avoid very simply by not playing that game. Instead of getting angry, I simply deflected it with a casual dismissal. I have learned that it is surprisingly effective in a casual face-to-face encounter. Of course, had there been any true threat of violence, I'd have been fucked.

Sometimes people would throw little stones at us, and miss repeatedly. So we'd keep walking, or perhaps do a little turn and pull out a corny thumbs up, or the slow hand clap. They threw more stones. But man, those times were worth it.

Anyway, I genuinely believe that at a certain point, even in our day to day lives, violence is the answer. Sometimes people need to be punched in the face. See The Flaming Lips for a more articulate expression of this:

When it comes to a large scale, pacifism is kind of ridiculous - and yet, often it is the only option. Not to trawl up that horribly misappropriated "first they came for the..." line or anything, but I'm going to flip it around on you. Notice how in that line, they never came for the guys camping out in the hills with the guns? The kids at Tiananmen Square who died, basically died for almost nothing, and now China's too big for anyone to control. Sure, now we all know about China's appalling human rights violations, but kids in their own country can't even read about that. And all over wanting to eulogise one guy. Kind of a crappy thing to be killed over, but that's what you're dealing with when you can't back yourself up with equal force.

So basically, pacifism is groovy and all, but you can't put flowers into guns and not expect to be shot.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2010 11:29:47(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Fighting is the act of disagreement. pacifism is merely a dream. With the world we live in, pacifism will only be a dream and nothing else. So whether it's considred morally good or not, it doesn't matter, because it's never going to happen.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Gildermershina  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2010 11:47:12(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
Fighting is the act of disagreement. pacifism is merely a dream. With the world we live in, pacifism will only be a dream and nothing else. So whether it's considred morally good or not, it doesn't matter, because it's never going to happen.

I think you're confusing pacifism for world peace. Pacifism is simply a stance of non-conflict, it's not a universal state.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2010 11:57:53(UTC)
forkboy

Mt. Epic wrote:

Well yes but this is purely a debate on the morality of the subject. It's looking at the subject from a philosophical perspective, which I'd encourage you to do, it's good for the mind.

The reason I asked the original question is that I felt I was a pacifist. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that maybe that isn't the case. I'm anti-military, anti-war, that is certain. But I think there may well be times when armed conflict is...not so much justifiable as neccessary. I mean it is all well and good being a pacifist in the United Kingdom in 1940 as France, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark and Norway have all fallen to Nazi Germany, but how is your pacifism going to help push back a horrific, racist, genocidal regime? Can you justify sitting idly by while others suffer grave oppression so long as your own lands liberties are not trampled? It's a complex issue for sure.

And Rince, I'd also point out that Gandhi was not, strictly speaking, a pacifist, although he personally would not fire a gun in weapon during WW1 he was happy to recruit his fellow Indians for the war effort. I'd suggest George Lansbury as a reasonably famous pacifist (1930s leader of Labour).
Offline Mt. Epic  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2010 13:43:40(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Many societies around the world don't really care about morals for the good of the world and all the citizens of earth. The government officials almost everywhere mainly care about "how can this increase my salary?" Such as the new health care bill passed as a law in the United States. Everybody has to pay for health insurance and if you don't, you get fined heavily. And the reason was because they wanted to have every American "secured" when really the government just wants money. So was the entire H1N1 virus. I doubt it really was that serious. They made their money off of citizens on those prescription drugs. So, my point is, morals are meaningless to talk about because they are never used. So if you're going to be a pacifist, you are going to get nowhere.
UserPostedImage

Offline forkboy  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2010 14:03:55(UTC)
forkboy

Sigh.

If you can't handle a debate on morality (purely on morality, the clue is in the thread title, that bit about MORAL DILEMMA) then perhaps you should not be involved. Though I'd also recommend looking back at yourself because I can't understand not wanting to think about ethics, morality and so forth. These subjects fascinate me.

Yes, pacifism is highly impractical. Nobody is denying that. What I'm saying is: is pacifism morally justifiable or not? An entirely seperate issue.

And morals are never used? Fucksake. How old are you Mt. Epic? Because you are pretty naive here, I mean one of the most influencial pressure groups in American politics for the past 40 years was called MORAL MAJORITY. I subscribe to the idea that we each have our own ideas of what is moral and what is immoral, though many religious people believe that morality is a black and white issue, X is always immoral, Y is always moral & virtuous. But nobody with even a passing grasp of philosophy would state "they are never used". Our morals have an effect on our decisions and actions each and every day of our adult lives.
Offline Captain Insano  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2010 20:02:40(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
Many societies around the world don't really care about morals for the good of the world and all the citizens of earth. The government officials almost everywhere mainly care about "how can this increase my salary?" Such as the new health care bill passed as a law in the United States. Everybody has to pay for health insurance and if you don't, you get fined heavily. And the reason was because they wanted to have every American "secured" when really the government just wants money. So was the entire H1N1 virus. I doubt it really was that serious. They made their money off of citizens on those prescription drugs. So, my point is, morals are meaningless to talk about because they are never used. So if you're going to be a pacifist, you are going to get nowhere.

You clearly dont have a lot of faith in the world do you?
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Rincewind  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2010 20:02:53(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

using your WWII example of not being able to sit back and do nothing whilst a genocidal regime invaded and took over everywhere.....
a lot of pacifists volenteered for duties like ambulence drivers and thus while not actually fighting and killing still managed to contribute in a non violent way, and a lot of them died for it as well..
now i know that may not be seen as true pacifism as they are contributing to the war effort in general... I do however see it as a happy medium which i personally would be happy with.
i think pacifism is the ideal state, its something we should strive to and aim for but in the world we live in, will always fall short off...

on a side note, i think you could argue that the formation of things like the EU could be seen as an attempt at state pacisfism... a way to slove problems and differences without resorting to warfare.
and im just like:
Offline Mt. Epic  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2010 07:54:26(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

The word "dilemma" is too weak of a word to describe their true state. Catastrophe would be better used, because morals aren't being the primary source in deciding decisions anymore. Personally I don't think this should be much of a debate, because in a world full of big business controversies, terrorism, and human trafficking, let alone all the wars, deprievement of public power, as well as meaningless public power i.e. American suffrage, morals have failed to solve anything. So, why should you be a pacifist in such a world? because you don't hurt your competition? well, isn't that what they're trying to do to you? The people who share similar interests as you are the people you should stick by, and still not being to relaxed because you don't exactly know their thoughts and goals. I understand pacifist. I was one a few years back, but I grew out of it because pacifists are weak and never get what they truly want. So, instead of asking how can pacifists survive, we should be wondering how can we make pacifists into stronger people.
UserPostedImage

Offline forkboy  
#13 Posted : 01 April 2010 08:14:22(UTC)
forkboy

STOP MISSING THE FUCKING POINT YOU INTENTIONALLY OBTUSE BUFFOON
Offline forkboy  
#14 Posted : 01 April 2010 10:05:26(UTC)
forkboy

It's bad enough there's one person ruining the thread :(
Offline Rincewind  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2010 12:34:40(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

not responding to my post = :'(
and im just like:
Offline --Raven--  
#16 Posted : 02 April 2010 06:12:38(UTC)
--Raven--

Man

I believe at it's heart pacifism is a stance taken by someone who is trying to do the right thing. Which is the important thing. I wrote a few responses to this, and tied myself up a lot in the process, arguing for both sides etc, it's frustrating, but it's also the sign of a good question :P

To me the morally defensible position is to use armed/violent response only when it is necessary to defend yourself or others who are incapable of self-defence against those who seek to cause you harm. A warlike stance is wrong to me for reasons that are most probably obvious to most people, and a pacifist stance doesn't click with me either as my whole life I have been raised and trained to protect myself and others.

I am by no means pacifist. I am more than willing to defend myself and anyone around who finds themselves in need of it, and I have many years of training under my belt to ensure I'm capable of doing so. I feel that as I have the skills to protect myself and/or intervene to protect another then I am therefore bound to ensure that I do just that to the best of my ability. Anything less is what I would consider negligence. I adopt a similar stance when it comes to the larger scale of things. Most military forces are referred to as "defence" forces. Governments refer to the "defence" budget. It should be the case that those forces are used solely for defence, either of the home country or of a group who are not capable of defending themselves. Nothing else. Not to fight for resources, not to expand an empire.
Offline Thorgrim  
#17 Posted : 02 April 2010 23:39:40(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
STOP MISSING THE FUCKING POINT YOU INTENTIONALLY OBTUSE BUFFOON

Easy now, easy. Relax and listen to some ASIA.
Offline Paradox  
#18 Posted : 03 April 2010 14:52:32(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Oh man that H1N1 bit really made me laugh.
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Aquiliz  
#19 Posted : 05 April 2010 20:53:12(UTC)
Aquiliz

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pacifism is indeed a noble thing, but as you said: whenever someone decides not to be a pacifist, shit will hit the fan one way or another.

It's a slippery slope. Violent interventionism to keep the peace is as dangerous (and, if I might add: pointless) as using peaceful, pacifist resistance against a violent oppressor.

If we assume that conflict is inherent to human social behaviour, than pacifism is the best (best as in: 'morally superior') way to behave. Pacifism, to abstain from violence, implies social structures that revolve around debate and discussion. It is certainly the most enlightened way to behave.

But, yeah. The practical side of things.
The Disstopian
The Disstopian is simultaneously bringing hiphop back to its root and launching it into the future.
Offline Iron Geoff  
#20 Posted : 05 April 2010 22:35:06(UTC)
Iron Geoff

Pacifism is about not adopting violence as a first option;it is not about standing there and taking a kicking cos the bully thinks hurting you is funny. pacifists can fight back (and do!). Its not about being a victim but knowing how to behave in a humane and decent way.
I'm sure there is something in the bible about treating people the way you want to be treated: i'm sure it'll be in most relgious tomes.
Isaac Asimov: violence is the last retreat of the competent.
John Lennon: give peace a chance
We growl, We fight; we're badgers, we bite!