logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2010 05:06:09(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8675 time(s) in 2721 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2010 05:08:22(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8675 time(s) in 2721 post(s)
Thunder Road are set to unleash their debut album Great Expectations on Aug. 14, 2010.
In this issue Q were given the opportunity to speak with the upcoming band on influences and pressure.

The leading light of the album is undoubtedly Lights Go Low (On The Avenue). It’s about New York life and New York love. A beautifully written song which has it’s punk/soul elements but continues the albums arena rock sound which they have perfected beautifully for their debut

Thunder Road have toured this summer with bands like Infinite, The Walls and Saburben Sunrise, three fairly new bands and maybe that tour was a view of what the future of rock music looks and sounds like. The question is which band will falter first, it’s too close to call as they all seem to have their eyes firmly on being around for many, many years to come.
With Thunder Road you have a frontman who is beyond passionate about music, when he talks about music there is always a glint in his eye and expression on his face of pure love of music and this is what his fans love about him, One fan says “He’s just a typical guy like the rest of us, who happened to pick up a guitar and fall in love with music.”

Their debut album has been in the works for a couple of months now and frontman Brian Richards has been raring to go, “For me this is what it’s about, Touring and Recording, I could do that for the next 40 years man!. It’s completely crazy when I sit back and think woahh, I’m a professional musician! This is my fucking job man, I still can’t believe that I’m now able to make a living out of this. And I’m as excited as anyone about the record.”
They have been recording in New York City at 4th Street Studio’s owned by the label their signed to Junction Records!. “It’s a fantastic studio and what Max has managed to do with this label is amazing, he’s a credit to music and I know that he’s an extremely popular guy in music, he’s not an obnoxious frontman like some are, he’s really down to earth and a genuinely nice guy. He gave us this opportunity as he did for many people signed to the label.”

Thunder Road have had 30+ songs to choose from for their debut record and Brian gives us an insight into what songs are being considered for the album. “We’ve got a preliminary list of 10 songs which right now are the ones which will be on the album but that’s really subject to change, Umm we’ve got some songs the fans know like Brothers In Arms, Here’s Johnny!, Rooftops & Teardrops and Starry Eyes & Blood Red Sky’s. We’ve also got songs which haven’t been performed yet like, Lights Go Low (On The Avenue), I Can’t Hold A Candle For Every Pretty Girl, The Sound Of Camden Town, Hub City Girls and We Were Liars, Lovers In Combat. They’re all songs which stay true to us as a band, you know that kind of Punk, Soul sound which the fans enjoy, they’ve sort of been described as Arena Rock sounds and that’s fine by me but we will definitely be keeping with the same kinda sound the fans know and love.”

Thunder Road is influenced heavily by a huge selection of music, Brian says this about the albums influences, “Our debut album is kinda like a nod to our influences, there is gonna be references to Neil Young, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, The Clash, The Replacements, The Stones and so many different influences. It’s sort of like this album is about us appreciating the past and then the future albums will be like us saying ok now you’ve got an idea of our influences now this is where we’re gonna go with it. In my spare time I pretty much bury myself in music, films and books. You’ll also see movie references and references to J.D Salinger and Sylvia Plath so it’s pretty diverse really. It’s kinda like Ok this is what inspires us as a band, go listen to a Dylan album or go an watch a De Niro movie or go an read a novel or whatever. You know our audience is fairly young and a lot of them won’t have really known of some of our influences and at this moment in our career we want to sort of direct them to the legends of entertainment history, for great music you’ve always gotta start in the past and then sort of work your way up to the modern day. A kid says to me the other day, “I didn‘t know Bruce Springsteen had six record before born in the USA, I was like are you kidding me those first 3 records will change your life man and then a couple of months later he got back to me on Myspace and said he listened to them and he was like, Woahh I feel like a different person now“, It‘s a great thing when a young kid discovers something life changing.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a certain amount of pressure on this young band, they have the fan-base, the material and the sound to be a successful band but it still doesn’t help with the pressure. “I think maybe some people are thinking it’s gonna be a success. It’s not guaranteed, we have to make an amazing debut record and if we can make the record we think we’re capable of making then I’m sure it will be good. I believe in the songs and it’s gonna be amazing to hear them on disc and on radio and TV.”

He doesn’t expect it to fly off the shelves, “If you look through the history of music some of the worlds best acts have struggled with their debut records. If you look at the likes of Greetings From Asbury Park and Neil Young’s first solo record, neither charted which just shows that people develop into great acts over time, It’s not a straight rise to the top. It’s usually an initial struggle, If I’m 100% honest to myself I’d be happy with a top 30 album.”

They’ve already got the title for the album decided and it’s aptly named Great Expectations. “I think that title fits. I know were not hugely well known but we have a solid fan base and it’s been great having such a rapidly rising fan base. The internet has helped get our names out there, Myspace has been huge for us, as has Youtube. People will criticize the way music is going but things like Myspace and Youtube have helped enhance bands and help them get the popularity and fan base they deserve.”
Brian doesn’t agree to the rock cliché of excess and young deaths. “In my view, I’ve got the greatest job on earth and I want to enjoy this job for the next 40+ years if I can. I know if I was to get involved with things like drugs then the chance of me still being around in 40+ years would be slim. The bands I have come to love like The Clash and The Replacements had crazy excess in their time but I’m not into that and neither are the guys in Thunder Road. I’m not a clean cut guy, I like a drink and stuff but I draw the line at drug use.”

He’s blue collar guy from New Jersey and is an extremely hard working person, “Growing up in New Jersey I knew that things were tough for people, my father worked Monday - Saturday from like 9:00am to 6:00pm, which is crazy but that’s the way it was and even then we weren’t rich. My mom worked Monday to Friday 10:00am to 2:30pm. So I guess the hardworking thing has stuck with me, I even worked for the last three years as a carpet fitter which is the worst job I could have done, I really hated it. I’ve been blessed in that I don’t need to get a 9 to 5 and the fact that my father has been able to work less often now because I’ve been able to help make there lives better. I mean I’m not by any means rich but I’m doing OK with the band financially and I’ve been able to help my family out a lot which has been really great. But yeah, I work hard still but it’s nothing compared to what my parents worked.”

So fans can expect the Thunder Road debut album Great Expectations out on August. 14, 2010.

Edited by user 17 July 2010 05:18:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified