logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline infinite135  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2010 08:35:11(UTC)
infinite135

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Infinite: Then And Now

Infinite’s new EP highlights the major contrast between their sound as an underground act and the music heard on Blue Nebula. The result is up to the listener to decide.

The long wait for Infinite’s second album continues. Many wonder if the band can come up with a sound as original and thought-provoking the second time around, while others just want to hear more of the guitar rock found on Supernova and Fusion Paranoia. This three-disc EP shows the raw talent Infinite developed over the years, and assures any fan of the band that their next album will be just as good as the last. Just don’t ask them when it’s going to be released.

Upon first listen, it’s obvious that this was made for the fans. The first CD is a six-song show of Infinite opening for a local band, and they kind of sucked. The band that would one day produce an album about the internal conflict between pessimism and optimism used to sing about trees plotting to take over the world (The Communist Trees). But, everybody has to start somewhere. The weird thing about listening to this album is how much they were already starting to sound like their future selves; there’s early versions of Styx and 0.9 Pelnav (just an improv bass solo here), and I swear that the guitar solo at the end of Galaxy of Thoughts sounds just like the melody of Fusion Paranoia.

The real gem of Then and Now is the second disc; their performance at the Cure for Cancer concert. This part is Infinite at the top of their game, and is proof of the incredible live act they’ve become. In addition to an amazing rendition of House of the Rising Sun and pitch-perfect renditions of the songs on Blue Nebula, there are also a slew of new songs. From Magnum Opus (a song apparently about singer Quillington’s unease about the band’s future) to Hyperactive/Regenerate (which breaks the ‘no love-song’ rule of Infinite), these songs are clear evidence of the deeper songs that might be on the next album. I could spend the entire review talking about what these songs mean about the future of Infinite, but that wouldn’t quite do justice to this unique EP.

The final disc, which is Eric Quillington’s acoustic show, is also a solid addition. The songs are mostly covers, but the two originals (Out of Focus and Eyes), keep things from getting too predictable. The obvious highlight of this album is Daniel’s guest appearance for the final two songs. With Quillington just playing acoustic on the song “Let Me Hold Your Pen”, this song moves the spotlight away from him and is more about Daniel’s incredible vocal abilities. Quillington breaks away from playing acoustic, and plays electric guitar while singing a duet with Daniel on the final song, “Anti-Social’.

When I finished listening to this EP, I had conflicting emotions. On one hand, it’s certainly worth the money (it has over thirty songs, all of which are different on each disc). On the other hand, at times it seems like little more than an attempt to keep fans happy during the wait for Infinite’s second album. If you’re a diehard fan, this album is definitely for you. If you’re a more casual fan, a few of the live versions of the new songs are still worth downloading.

7.5/10

Edited by user 27 July 2010 08:58:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2010 08:47:50(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Daniel: This review seems pretty fair, but I think they should of given you a little more credit for the overall effort. Either way it was great performing with you!
Offline troy211619  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2010 08:51:02(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I admire your band very much, all the effort you put in to music reminds me of Reckoner back in the early days when we were still a struggling band. I mean if not for bands like TVIV and Mind, I guess we would have never had the success we had today, so keep up the good work boys and we'll keep our eyes on you..
-Troy Mascenon
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline infinite135  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2010 11:46:07(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Quote:
Daniel: This review seems pretty fair, but I think they should of given you a little more credit for the overall effort. Either way it was great performing with you!

It was awesome to be onstage with you, too! I really wasn't expecting reviews for this to be too positive, but I think they did a good job with the review.
-Eric Quillington

Quote:
I admire your band very much, all the effort you put in to music reminds me of Reckoner back in the early days when we were still a struggling band. I mean if not for bands like TVIV and Mind, I guess we would have never had the success we had today, so keep up the good work boys and we'll keep our eyes on you..
-Troy Mascenon

I'm glad we've got the admiration of Reckoner, because you guys have always been a huge influence on us. Thanks for taking the time to listen to our stuff, it means alot!
-Eric Quillington
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King