logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mt. Epic  
#1 Posted : 08 October 2010 07:38:09(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
it's that time of year again. My team started out at a strong 2nd place yesterday, and because of an idiot on our team, we fell to 38 because they sold all the shares in the stock we invested the most, just because it was going down a slight bit. Really. I'm glad he sold it, but too late he sold it. Wut i mean is, we never should have bought stocks in VFC, because it's not the most profitable. My entire team wants to invest in clothing & apparel companies. I think we should invest in small, local energy companies as well as research services (which I bought a stock in Acacia Research Corporation that saved us from further damage). I wanted to do Oil companies like Exxon/Mobil and BP, and strongly focus on Chinese Oil Companies. But the teacher said they were the "big elephants in the room" and i shouldn't invest in them. I think it's ridiculous, seeing as they are rising at fairly steady and strong paces, like Exxon/Mobil rose nearly an entire dollar in share prices overnight, and hasn't really seen any bad bumps lately, but wutever. I'll buy it anyway, or would've, if it wasn't for my team's apparent interest in the clothing/apparel field. Does anybody have any advise for wut stocks we should invest in, and any comments if my ideal stocks to purchased, if i'm thinking the right way or not.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline TheCDs  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2010 07:43:06(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
it's that time of year again. My team started out at a strong 2nd place yesterday, and because of an idiot on our team, we fell to 38 because they sold all the shares in the stock we invested the most, just because it was going down a slight bit. Really. I'm glad he sold it, but too late he sold it. Wut i mean is, we never should have bought stocks in VFC, because it's not the most profitable. My entire team wants to invest in clothing & apparel companies. I think we should invest in small, local energy companies as well as research services (which I bought a stock in Acacia Research Corporation that saved us from further damage). I wanted to do Oil companies like Exxon/Mobil and BP, and strongly focus on Chinese Oil Companies. But the teacher said they were the "big elephants in the room" and i shouldn't invest in them. I think it's ridiculous, seeing as they are rising at fairly steady and strong paces, like Exxon/Mobil rose nearly an entire dollar in share prices overnight, and hasn't really seen any bad bumps lately, but wutever. I'll buy it anyway, or would've, if it wasn't for my team's apparent interest in the clothing/apparel field. Does anybody have any advise for wut stocks we should invest in, and any comments if my ideal stocks to purchased, if i'm thinking the right way or not.

Invest in index stocks and enjoy the dividend payments.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2010 07:46:07(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Invest in communism and accept that the stockmarket is evil.

obviously you have to invest emotionally.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2010 12:52:47(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

forkboy wrote:
Invest in communism and accept that the stockmarket is evil.

obviously you have to invest emotionally.

um, well, as...........enticing, that sounds, that's not really gonna help me win, and get a grade.

and to CD's, thnx, i'll look up some stocks in that category and i'll see wut looks best
UserPostedImage

Offline Rincewind  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2010 02:28:51(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
sorry..... a grade in stock marketing?

used to be an amazing game called popex, that was a stock trading game, but instead of trading in companies, it was musicians, so if one was doing well it went up, badly it went down.......

infact thats where i first heard about this game!
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Mt. Epic  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2010 08:11:16(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Rincewind wrote:
sorry..... a grade in stock marketing?

used to be an amazing game called popex, that was a stock trading game, but instead of trading in companies, it was musicians, so if one was doing well it went up, badly it went down.......

infact thats where i first heard about this game!

lol well we don't get graded for it, but u have to do it if ur in my consumer economics class. This would be my third year doing it. Two years ago, my first year, my group won first in state. Last year, we got like 12th in state, cuz my team mates were retarded, and i didn't really care too much. THis year, i wanna get back at least into the top ten, cuz i wanna become an investment banker one day, and i could use this as a part of my resume.
UserPostedImage

Offline Rincewind  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2010 08:41:28(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

*slapslapslapslapslap*

never rape people for money.... or in other words... become a banker!

i'd invest in Oil at the minute, alongside strong banks like HSBC as they are raping the market
and im just like:
Offline Mt. Epic  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2010 09:47:29(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Rincewind wrote:
*slapslapslapslapslap*

never rape people for money.... or in other words... become a banker!

i'd invest in Oil at the minute, alongside strong banks like HSBC as they are raping the market

lol, and yea, i wanna invest in oil, but the teacher says oil stocks are like the "big elephant in the room" or w/e that means, so she says it's bad, and my team is all onboard with her cuz they're stupid pricks lol. honestly, i would jump onto the Exxon/Mobil stocks right about now because they've been doing great recently.
UserPostedImage

Offline Rincewind  
#9 Posted : 09 October 2010 10:11:46(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i think what she means is its an obvious and easy win.... so challenge yourselves and go find something that is really up and coming... prove yourselves etc etc

just think how good it would look if you got top 10 without using oil companies....

and how much of your soul would die of course...

gold is an obvious buy..
solid software companies like adobe systems or even Zix (small company thats stock price has risen 60% so far this year)
comunication companies that are expanding into new markets like Vodaphone
american health insurance companies are probably a solid bet as people always need em

well that's what i would do anyway.
and im just like:
Offline Mt. Epic  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2010 10:28:31(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Rincewind wrote:
i think what she means is its an obvious and easy win.... so challenge yourselves and go find something that is really up and coming... prove yourselves etc etc

just think how good it would look if you got top 10 without using oil companies....

and how much of your soul would die of course...

gold is an obvious buy..
solid software companies like adobe systems or even Zix (small company thats stock price has risen 60% so far this year)
comunication companies that are expanding into new markets like Vodaphone
american health insurance companies are probably a solid bet as people always need em

well that's what i would do anyway.

well actually, i think she would encourage us to buy oil companies, because after all, she wants us to win. it's a state competition, might even be considered a national competition cuz the final overall results have a national category, but ur blinded by the other state's ranks. ur only locked onto ur state's competitions, and she wants us to do the best we can to win. i think she meant that the stocks for oil companies are slightly more stablized, so u always rise but not very strongly, but i kinda disagree with that, because after all, oil demands are rising every day, and the price per share are rising fairly nicely lately (which, in real life, is actually very bad lol), but over a year's course, yeah, it hasn't risen "too" much, but is it rising at a fairly decent pace? yeah.

health insurance idk cuz not everybody can afford it, but i never thought about that, so i might go buy some for the team if i see some of the stocks. gold kinda fell lately a few nice pennies, but i still think they're worth investing in the long run.
UserPostedImage

Offline Rincewind  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2010 20:12:25(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

have you thought about buying into "penny" stocks as well?
they are cheep, so you can buy shit-loads of them for a near instant effect if they are doing well....
and im just like:
Offline Mt. Epic  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2010 03:43:56(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Rincewind wrote:
have you thought about buying into "penny" stocks as well?
they are cheep, so you can buy shit-loads of them for a near instant effect if they are doing well....

well yeah, but we've been buying like stocks with shares worth like 5-20 dollars
UserPostedImage

Offline TheMole  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2010 07:16:52(UTC)
TheMole

Man

is it normal if i dont understand this?
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 10 October 2010 07:18:14(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8625 time(s) in 2703 post(s)
TheMole wrote:
is it normal if i dont understand this?

I hope so because I'm in the same boat as you lol :)