logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DistortedAudio  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2012 14:51:18(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Because I don't think anything substantial is coming out before year's end.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline DistortedAudio  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2012 15:03:07(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Albums:

5. Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror

Not too shitty, but not too great. It definitely has some great tracks on it.

4. Purity Ring - Shrines

Really good actually, and a big leap from Sleigh Bells. Tracks come together really well.

3. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan/Electric Guest - Mondo

Both fucking great albums.

2. Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

Punk is never dead.

1. Shields by Grizzly Bear

UserPostedImage

Every year a perfect album comes out (IMO), one that comes together so well that it just blows every other possible album out of the water. Shields was that, every song on this album, I could listen to 20 times over in one sitting and still be ready for another listen.

Honorable Mentions:
Yeasayer - Fragrant World
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz.
Mount Eerie - Clear Moon Ocean Roar

On the Fence (could become part of my Top 5)
Django Django - Django Django
Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II
Crystal Castles - III
The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
Tame Impala - Lonerism

I'll have a separate rap list.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2012 15:08:22(UTC)
Walton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Singles:

5. John Mayer/Shadow Days

4. Brandy/Put It Down (Feauturing Chris Brown)

3. Beyonce/End of Time

2. Alicia Keys/New Day

1. Nicki Minaj/Freedom
Offline Mckenzie-  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2012 08:10:25(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
TOP FIVE ALBUMS:

5. The xx - Coexist

Ambient pop.. yes.

4. DIIV - Oshin

If Beach Fossils and Craft Spells had a baby.

3. Sigur Rós - Valtari

Feel your emotions.

2. Wild Nothing - Nocturne

This is indie-pop done right.

1. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Lo-fi garage rock that will blow your mind. Essential.

Honorable mentions: Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory, The Tower and The Fool - How Long, Stagnant Pools - Temporary Room, The Lumineers - Self Titled, Of Monsters And Men - My Head Is An Animal, Tame Impala - Lonerism, Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2012 04:08:05(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'd really need to sit & think about it because I always forget obvious stuff when I try to do a list without any thought. And I've still not heard the new Neurosis, Shining or Forgotten Tomb records.

But I will say with some confidence that there have been more good albums I've heard this year than last year. Although the new Sigh album was a big disappointment to me
Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2012 07:38:49(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
This is what I mean by my needing to think. So I was trying to list stuff when I made that post earlier. And hey, I totally forgot an album that came out recently & is my favourite record of 2012, Deftones - Koi No Yokan. Because god damn, it's the best thing they've recorded since White Pony, which is over a decade old at this point. Some achievement. What a fucking band.
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2012 12:37:59(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
It'll take a while to work through it in my head, but I've got a shortlist:

Swans - The Seer
Crazy fucking record, a double album, two songs over twenty, one over thirty. The Apostate is an unbelievably fun mess.

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Incredible voice, great arrangements. So great.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Never expected to see a new GY!BE, and it's pretty great

Old Man Gloom - No
Gloom fully resumed! Searingly loud, the ultimate universal expression of anger.

The Mars Volta - Nocturniquet
Their electronic record, loud and abrasive. Take that, ears!

Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis
Pelican still rocking, on a great little EP that pushes forward in new directions.

Sigur Rós - Valtari
Murky and moody and swampy droney goodness.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#8 Posted : 24 December 2012 16:29:00(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Nothing came out this year that got me extremely excited. I discovered more stuff from 2011 that was great but I can only name two albums that I was in love with this year.

A Flashflood of Color - Enter Shikari

Sand & Snow - A Silent Film

That's all.
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline PANIC!  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2013 08:37:33(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Albums:

10. JJAMZ - Suicide Pact

Indie supergroup with members of The Like, Phantom Planet, and Maroon 5, among others. It took a few listens to come around to it, but it's a solid, ten track effort.

9. Passion Pit - Gossamer

If you know the story behind the record, it makes it all the more felt.

8. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

Lana Del Rey is Lana Del Rey. Her style and voice are captivating.

7. Go Radio - Close the Distance

One of those records that if you find at the right time in your life, it will hit you hard emotionally.

6. Walk the Moon - Walk the Moon

I wish I had known of this band before I actually did. Indie rock/pop at its finest.

5. Ellie Goulding - Halcyon

You either like Goulding's voice or you don't. I do, and from top to bottom this a record I keep coming back to.

4. Mumford & Sons - Babel

The same old Mumford formula of making songs, nothing that will change the world. The only flaw on this record is that it sounds the same as their debut. Still, it's catchy as hell and keeps my attention throughout it.

3. The Tower and The Fool - How Long

Sad and beautiful.

2. fun. - Some Nights

The best pop record of the year, bar none.

1. John Mayer - Born and Raised

This album is perfect. Mayer continues to effortlessly flow through multiple genres with each record, Born and Raised being his one yet. I can't say enough great things about this record. I've listened to each song well over 100 times since its release and I am not tired of it one bit.

Honorable Mentions:
Frank Ocean - channel Orange
The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
Phillip Phillips - The World from the Side of the Moon
Sky Ferreira - Ghost EP
The xx - Coexist
Yellowcard - Southern Air
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2013 12:19:30(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Feeling good to do this now that it's 2013 and thus nothing more can come out in 2012 and sneak up on us. I suppose the only way I can do it is to look at the albums I have listened to the most throughout the past 12 months; after all, there is a reason that we listen to albums more than others right? I listen to a wide range as well, so I'll split it into some different categories.

Metal

In my opinion, not the greatest year ever for metal bands in 2012, but there were, in my opinion, three albums that stood out particularly against a mediocre background as really quite outstanding and excellent.

Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living

Probably one of the hardest working bands in the world (I mean they're Canadian and I saw them play six separate times in the UK throughout 2012), and constantly producing top class music over the last few years. This is, in my opinion, their best album since Hail Destroyer, and it's arguably, and probably, even better. Songs like Rats and Road Sick are just so energetic and exceptional. Not even the hardcore album of the year though, since it was beaten into a close second place by.....

Every Time I Die - Ex Lives

I'd have said that before this album, I was mildly a fan of ETID, having seen them a few times live, but I was never a major fanatic of theirs, until the first time I heard Mr Buckley scream "I WANT TO BE DEAD WITH MY FRIENDS" at the start of Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space. In terms of hardcore, there are a few decent bands around at the moment, such as Polar, Comeback Kid and maybe even Your Demise, but all should learn and take note from this album, absolutely fantastically technical and fast, full of energy and passion and so tight. Loved it from the first song to the last.

And giving a little bit of a nod to good old British metalcore, controversially;

Architects - Daybreaker

This was refreshing and special this year for passionate Architects fans such as myself. I have loved everything this band have ever done, and they are probably my favourite metal band, but there previous record, The Here and Now, while still great, was a far cry from their previous efforts. Thankfully, this new album returned to the sort of magic seen on the likes of Hollow Crown (which I would probably count as my favourite metal album), with songs like Devil's Island and The Bitter End even saw them bring a bit of a softer edge to their brutality, which was amazing, especially in the live setting. Then with tracks like These Colours Don't Run adding a bit of a political edge to their music, as cliched as it sounds, Daybreaker was definitely the album that saw Architects mature, and it was a fantastic record.

Indie/Rock

Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is an Animal

One of two albums in this section that Mckenzie- can take credit for guiding myself towards earlier in 2012. A really great little folky sounding indie album this one, and definitely the sort of thing that my ears needed towards the end of 2012. This is probably one of the feel-good albums of the year, with a real sort of accessible yet still alternative edge to it. I really enjoyed it from start to finish, and of course, it has that brilliant riff during Little Talks that no one could fail to be on their feet and dancing to. Really great record, and one that I shared with more than a few people after it had been recommended to me on here a few months back.

Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Can you go wrong with a bit of Gaslight? Abso-bloody-lutely not. One of the most honest and interesting bands on earth. Yes, we were all a little disappointed, if we are honest, with American Slang, after the '59 Sound, but this is certainly Gaslight back on track. Saw them live twice on this tour as well in Manchester and London, and they were fantastic on both nights. They're the sort of band who seem to have gotten a massive following with very little to no exposure in the mainstream; their following is now way above mainstream, which is great to see, and this album deserves it. I think what I like about them the most is that I have never seen a man happier to be doing what he is doing than Brian Fallon on stage. Even if he has put some weight on, that is an excellent man, and we have to applaud this effort from TGA.

Mark Tremonti - Tremonti

Far from the most innovative or original album in 2012, and probably actually the least innovative on my list, but still an absolute gem nonetheless. I think this makes it in here because I'm a huge Alter Bridge fan, and Tremonti has branched off from the rest of the band, and managed to make an album that sounds very Alter Bridge. I like that. It has a bit more of a cutting edge than Alter bridge, and a few more solos, but it still keeps that same song, and Tremonti's voice isn't all that far from Myles Kennedy's, even if he doesn't have the same range as the latter. You Waste Your Time as the lead single was probably also the highlight of the album for myself personally.

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

The second time Mckenzie- can take a bow in this list with another brilliant recommendation. This one is probably right near the top of my favourites list for this year, as it really is fantastic. Right from the off with The Nights of Wine and Roses, it just makes me smile inside and makes me think I want to party with my mates, not a crazy party, but one of those summer nights when you just sit in the garden and get slowly pissed in the sun. Energetic again and full of fun, hands down, the best indie album of 2012, really enjoyable for its entirety, and I must get my hands on their earlier work to hear more of what they do. The word essential was banded above, an I think that is definitely the best way to describe this. If you want to feel like you're having a little party in your head, buy this; it's just guitar induced fun, nothing overtly fancy or stylish, just good old fashioned guitar based rock, but with some awesome sing along choruses and will definitely make you want to be in a field enjoying a summer festival with a warm £5 beer.

Pop

I'll dive straight in and go with the "embarrassing" one, since it's about as mainstream as they come. I have to say though, I enjoy it every time I listen to it, and it is.....

Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss

Yup. Honest cheesy pop. That's the best and only way to describe this. Forget Call me Maybe, because this is about so much more than just that one radio album. It has an almost 80s/disco feel to it, and an abundance of different songs which could all be singles in their own right. There's even time for a catchy and awesome little collaboration with Owl City in there to just spice things up. Another one that isn't going to be remembered as an album that broke barriers or started a new wave of all new pop music, but it's good honest pop music, and sometimes that's all you need. Album highlights throughout include More Than a Memory and Hurt So Good which is definitely where you need to go for a little dose of old school disco music. Like I say though, this is what it is from the start, a little bit of bubblegum pop; ideal listening for when doing something where you can space out a little. I like to listen to it when I'm doing sub-editing at working. It's just fun...yeah...

Rita Ora - Ora

Probably another that no one would really expect to see on this list, but it has definitely become an album that I have listened to a lot over the last few months. I think Rita is just someone who (although I doubt she writes her own songs) oozes a little bit of that party feeling that we all had in our late teens (or will have when you guys reach that age). I first heard of her when she did Hot Right Now with DJ Fresh, and I have to say any dance/pop crossover that can get a tent full of about 500 pissed-up metalheads at a festival in Donington dancing along at 3 in the morning has to be good. The singles make this album, and although I still don't know what "party and bullshit" refers to, nor do I think she gets it right when she promotes "drunk sex feeling" as a good thing, when it is among the worst sex anyone will ever have, nor why she wants to "shut down every bar" when trying to have a party, these songs are laden with a bit of party atmosphere, and I like when they get pumped out in the clubs I frequent after all the alternative stuff has finished. Good album overall.

Lana del Rey - Born To Die (Paradise Edition)

Without a shadow of a doubt, the best pop album of 2012. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I think her voice and her soul type sound is just absolutely phenomenal. Every song on this album, perhaps for maybe one or two of the tail-enders, is an absolute joy to listen to, and it'a all about Lana's amazing voice and range, as it should be. Songs like National Anthem and Summertime Sadness and Lolita were the highlights of the first version of the album, but I chose the Paradise re-release for this list, simply because I think Ride is by far the best song that she has recorded to date. Absolutely fantastic. Besides, who else has ever come out with a line...an opening line no less, of a song that suggests their vaginal secretions have a suggestion of soda (Pepsi no less, very specific) in their flavour.
But yes, all round, probably my favourite overall album of 2012, from a girl who oozes class and talent and has really one of the most fantastic voices I have ever heard. Love her and love everything that she does.

Folk/acoustic

Katie Melua - Secret Symphony

Less to say about the albums in this section than any others above, but I still love these albums as much as some of the others from the list above. I loved this one a lot though from my favourite little woman on earth. Never deviates from the sort of class and talent that she puts into her music, and while many might say that it is stylistically similar to everything she's ever done (some would argue that if you've heard The Closest Thing to Crazy, you've heard it all), I think it makes her an absolutely fantastic and consistent artist. I love her beautiful voice and the simplistic sort of nature behind her guitar work, which she never over-does or tries to get all flashy with. Highlight from this album was Better than a Dream which I could listen to over and over again. I absolutely love the song, the album, and her. The perfect little bit of ambience for any occasion is how I would describe this, and definitely my favourite Sunday listening throughout 2012. More of the same Ms Melua please.

Amy MacDonald - Life in a Beautiful Light

Kinda similar to what I said above; Amy is another that never seems to deviate from what she does, but never gets boring. She definitely gets a lot more exposure than the artist above, but I think she probably needs that push more than Katie since she falls a lot more between mainstream and niche than Ms Melua does. Nonetheless, this was a continuation of the fantastic work Amy has been doing ever since 2007, and another great album from her. Songs like Slow it Down and Pride brought the acoustic guitar into the summer, and she was really fantastic throughout this album. Great easy listening once again, and something that I had playing in my ears a lot over the course of the past months.

And finally.....

Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg

Saw this guy play in what was little more than a pub one time, and then largely forgot about him. The album helps to rectify that though. It's a little bit of Bob Dylan, it's a little bit of Alex Turner, it's a hell of a lot of Jake Bugg. Wonderful and inventive from the first note to the last, this is just one Nottingham lad and his guitar. Songs like Lightning Bolt and Two Fingers promise big things from the rest of the album. Both are very different in their styles, offering a folky edge on one hand, and a more poppy/indie feel on the other, but both are excellent, and the rest of the album also does not disappoint. In so far as debut albums go, and especially for a lad who is only in his late teens I think, this was really great, and although he appears to be a moody bastard on almost Van Morrison levels, he is really brilliant, and I am sure he and his guitar will be making many many appearances in the years to come.

Anyway, there you go; my review of 2012's albums or my favourites anyway. My apologies for this being a long winded bastard of a post, I've put the album titles in bold if you can't be arsed reading it all :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 01/01/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 01/01/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 01/01/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 02/01/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#11 Posted : 01 January 2013 12:22:51(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17923 time(s) in 10416 post(s)
you werent kidding with the overkill... great post though.

Quote:
nor do I think she gets it right when she promotes "drunk sex feeling" as a good thing, when it is among the worst sex anyone will ever have,

this cracked me up...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
genocidal king on 01/01/2013(UTC)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2013 01:15:02(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Great choices all. Forgot about Jake Bugg's debut, it's fantastic!

Some highly-anticipated albums out this year too, so stoked for them. Here is just a few that im looking forward too:

Swim Deep - TBA
Tribes - Wish To Scream
Beach Fossils - Clash The Truth
JAWS - TBA
Peace - TBA
Palma Violets - 180
The 1975 - TBA
Arctic Monkeys - TBA

It's a testament to how well British music is doing when all but one band on the list hails from the UK.
retired x
Offline GirlSpice  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2013 01:33:26(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Oops, forgot to post mine.

#1 - Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
#2 - Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart
#3 - fun. - Some Nights
#4 - Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles III
#5 - John Mayer - Born and Raised
#6 - Purity Ring - Shrines
#7 - Walk the Moon - Walk the Moon
#8 - Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
#9 - Ke$ha - Warrior
#10 - Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon

Other mentions:
Azealia Banks - Fantasea
No Doubt - Push and Shove
The xx - Coexist
Young Magic - Melt
Rihanna - Unapologetic
Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
Ellie Goulding - Halcyon
iamamiwhoami - kin
Grimes - Visions
Garbage - Not Your Kind of People

My music taste is fucked.

Edited by user 02 January 2013 01:34:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline The Nimrods  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2013 03:01:16(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Channel Orange- Frank Ocean, every song is perfection in its own little way
Good Kid M.a.a.d City- Kendrick Lamar, storytelling is genius

I thought Born To Die was great the first few listens but then the songs started sounding the same and I got bored. Lana's voice is lovely though, and Diet Mountain Dew is still something I listen to everyday.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

thanks 1 user thanked The Nimrods for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 02/01/2013(UTC)