logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2014 08:20:44(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19293 time(s) in 7678 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Weekend
Title: About Time
Genres: Pop, Rock Pop
Length: 44:34
Writers: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, S.Hollywood, R.Ifon, B.Khan, T.Newton, E.Turner, O.Ward, S.Wellington
Producers: Deneil, Julian Bunetta, LosOscuros, Savan Kotecha, run
Label: Five Pesky Kids
Released: July 5th 2015
Singles: How It Ends, Back In The Day & Only Just Begun

UserPostedImage

Back In The Day (D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan)
Ride Or Die (D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington)
Run (D.Blue, J.Wyatt)
A Step From Heaven (D.Blue, B.Khan)
Animal (D.Blue, S.Hollywood, B.Khan)
Only Just Begun (D.Blue, R.Hamilton, R.Ifon, E.Turner)
The Lucky Ones (D.Blue)
Chokehold (D.Blue, S.Wellington)
Hard To Forget (D.Blue, B.Khan, T.Newton)
About Time (D.Blue)
Just A Boy (D.Blue, B.Khan, R.Hamilton, S.Wellington)
Echo (D.Blue)
Heartbreakers (D.Blue, S.Hollywood, B.Khan)
Drift (D.Blue, R.Hamilton, S.Wellington)
How It Ends (D.Blue, B.Khan, S.Wellington)

UserPostedImage

About Time is the second studio album from Australian-British-Irish boy band, Weekend. The album will be released on 6th July 2015 via their own record label Five Pesky Kids, making it their first album to be released following the closure of Chaos Records. The album follows on from their highly successful and critically acclaimed debut effort "Fired Up" which was released in 2012. The record topped charts across the globe and saw Weekend become household names. A second album was originally planned for a late 2013 release but no official lead single was released and it was later revealed that the boys had scrapped the album entirely and had began to write from scratch again. The second album, originally titled "Wild Young & Free" was apparently not to all of the members' tastes and they believed that even their fans would not take to the new material. It has been suggested that the original second album contained unwanted elements of EDM and that it was a result of having "too many cooks in the kitchen". After Five Pesky Kids became a label in its own right, breaking away from Chaos, the boys cut down the size of their team and started to work on a record that felt a lot more intimate and personal.

Containing strong elements of rock and developing the sound first heard on their debut, "About Time" is said to be very guitar driven with a live sounding atmosphere. Weekend's rock pop sound was lauded by critics as they felt it was a breath of fresh air as opposed to a lot of the dance music which was heavily circulating at the time. Khan has stated that the album "goes back to basics" and that this time around, a lot more thought has gone into both the writing and production process. All members have writing credits on the album with Blue having the most (15) and Ward having the least (1). While Oscar only has writing credits on one track, he was still heavily involved in the creative process and a bulk of songs he had penned did not make the final cut.

Lyrically, the album shows off their growth as artists and maturer themes are explored. While the album does not carry a parental advisory logo and is still suitable for all age groups, some of the songs have a much deeper meaning behind them in comparison to the pop ditties found on "Fired Up". Having a turbulent past few years, the boys draw on some of their own personal experiences in their writing and have tried to take things one step further. Songs about relationships aren't as simple as "she's pretty, I want her" anymore. Weekend have made the transition into the real world now and if involves breaking a couple apart and keeping the pieces for themselves then so be it.

The lead single was the soft rock inspired ballad, "How It Ends". The lighters in the air anthem was released towards the end of April this year and went on to become another number one for the group. It was also their first release since "Turn Up The Volume" dropped and stormed the charts in November 2012. The single received critical acclaim and simultaneously topped the airplay, download and streaming chart. The second single didn't follow on until the November of the year as the boys claimed that the original summer release did not seem appropriate for the style of the song. "Back In The Day" was premiered at midnight on 14th November 2014 and has so far received positive reviews from fans and critics alike.

Weekend have confirmed that there will be another tour in support of the album and that it will take place in early 2015.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Oh wait, am I actually allowed to say something for once!?? I kid, I kid. Well I'm just going to start off by thanking Joanne from Subway around the corner from our London studio. Thank you for making breaks from recording so delicious and for keeping me nourished while I'm hard at work in the studio.....trying to build mini forts out of ballpoint pens. You're a star.

Just having the opportunity to write another set of thank you notes is a huge honour in itself. It's been a bumpy ride getting here but we finally made it! None of this would be possible if it weren't for the lovely Miss Lyrica Ocha, our creator. Although we have parted ways in regards to business, I still have a tremendous amount of love for you and the support you still show us today doesn't go unappreciated. I'd probably be cleaning car windows if it wasn't for you.

To my parents, thanks for putting up with me for 23 years. I know that I wasn't exactly a normal child. I didn't want to become a surgeon like my father. I wanted to be dramatic and eat sand. I know I was never a badly behaved kid but with my endless energy and imagination, I was a bit of a handful. Thank you for embracing my weirdness and not trying to force me to be anything I didn't want to be. Without your constant belief and support, I wouldn't have even thought about taking this opportunity and now look at me! I guess its true. They'll let any weirdo on TV nowadays. Oh and my little sisters, you smell.

I'd also like to thank my beautiful (and suffering) wife, Jen. Thanks for finding everything I lose. Thanks for washing and ironing my clothes. Thanks for showing me how to use the toaster. Thanks for laughing at all of my terrible jokes. Thanks for just being you. I love you more than Ariana Grande loves her left side. By the way, I may have accidentally smash a few plates when I was trying to wash out a glass earlier. Sorry.

How can I not thank my boys? Oscar, Billy, Dustyn and Riley, you guys are like the brothers I never had. I know I'm the oldest and you'd think I'd be the wisest but most of the time it's you guys looking out for me, your old big bro. I have only known you for three years but it seems like a lifetime. We have shared such a unique, beautiful and crazy story. Only us five know what it is like to be a member of Weekend and that is one bond we will always have in life. With all the stuff that's happened to us, this is an experience we will never ever forget. I love you guys but let's get one thing straight, I still have the best butt. Dustyn comes a close second!

Finally, to our loyal fans. I hate the term "Weekenders". We didn't even come up with that and it's kinda tacky to be honest. Call yourselves what you like though, I suppose! The point is, you have been here through thick and thin. We've had many personal problems aired to the world and you still stuck around. We cancelled an album and started from scratch again and you're still here. We've been ridiculed by all sorts of people and yet we just grew stronger. This album is for you. Well it's actually a way of paying my bills but it's nice to be nice, right?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Wow! Album number two is finally here! The dreaded second album....oh no!

Firstly, I would like to thank my big cousin, Lyrica for keeping me in mind when she was thinking of starting up this project. Being a short, 15 year old living in a very small, rural village in Ireland while battling my own sexuality and living with autism at the time, it was safe to say that I was apprehensive about stepping into the music industry. Of course, I always had dreams of it but when it all of a sudden became very real I was a nervous wreck. I doubted I would pass the audition. Then I didn't think that my band mates or the public would like me. After that I didn't believe that people would be interested in a boy band. The idea just seemed so 90's. Fast forward three years and here we are, though! It's unbelievable. I is truly one of the luckiest guys in the world.

I'd like to thank my three little boys, Shay, Kayden and Koa. You fill me up with so much love and joy. Holding you in my arms and watching you grow into wonderful little people is just the most rewarding experience ever. Any parent should know what I is talking about. It's just magical. Dallas, thank you for being there for me no matter where you are in the world. I pick up the phone and you are there to listen regardless of what time it is in your country. Long distance relationships can be so hard and I know we don't see each other as much as we'd like to but we make it work. Thanks for attempting to understand my accent and for showing me what real pizza tastes like. Your beard is awesome too! Honor, Eilidh, Andrea, Jen, and Michelle aka My Girlies, thanks for just being totally fabulous and for giving me a shoulder to lean on during drunken nights out on the town or one to cry on when things gets a little low. Stay amazeballs! Blake, thanks for showing me how mean and unpredictable people can be in the real world. This is not a call out, everyone knows what went ony and I couldn'ts care less about that anymore. I learned a lot from you. I experienced my first love and my first heartbreak. I learned the hard way. You gave me a good taste of the real, big bad world but it only made me stronger. Thank you.

Billy, Oscar, Riley and Scott - legends. You all look after me like I is your little brother and I is eternally grateful. We have bonds that will never be broken. I feel like I has known you all of my life and due to how protective we are over each other and the love we share, it actually does feel like we was all born and raised together! You are for very talented guys with hearts of gold, despite what some people like to print and spread around. Nobody has the inside scoop apart from us ;) Love you millions!

Last and certainly not least, a big thanks to our beautiful fans. You say that you is proud of us but it's us guys that is proud of you lot. The amount of hard work and dedication that you all put in is beyond incredible. You are all little stars. The promo, the voting, the support....it all just floors me. I love you all and hope you enjoy this new record x

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've been told that you can't swear on these things but f*** it. I swear if that's been censored out, heads will roll.

It's currently 3:14 a.m while I'm writing this and I'm desperate for a wee so I'm going to make this short and sweet.

I don't have a religion and I've not had support from my family apart from Deneil so that actually saves time. Growing up (well being dragged up), I was never really given much encouragement or attention. As much as I love my mum, she was not in the right from of mind to be having kids at the time so I was pretty much overlooked. Now that I'm older, I understand why things were like that all those years ago and we don't have the best relationship ever but you always know that the love is there. Rather than thank, I'd like to raise a middle finger to my father who f***ed everyone over, never hid the fact that I was unwanted and made me feel like I'd amount to nothing. "Billy, why can't you be like your cousin Hussain!?" (Hussain died when he was 5 months old). After going through years of that and living on the streets for a while, I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to gloat and be proud of where I am today. Sure, 95% of the population hate me and Muslim countries want me hanged but at least I'm doing better than my father.

I'd like to thank my King and Queen, Michael and Janet Jackson. Thank you for the music. Your records are the reason I love music and have helped me through some pretty dark times. I'm sorry for stealing some of the albums but I've purchased them over again along the way so it's all good.

Honor - Thanks for letting me vent, being a general pain in the backside and for putting money into my bank account with all those parties. We've had our differences but the past is the past and I've found a real friend in you. You're an amazing woman.

Kai - Look after your lady! Thanks for being a good mate. We don't hang out like we used to. Something needs to change.

Mercedes - One of the coolest girls I know. Keep rocking that s***. Make Hackney proud! ;)

Jennifer - When I first arrived on the scene looking all scruffy and having the temperament of a feral cat, you took me and the boys in regardless. You were one of the first people in the industry to actually believe in us and to give us support. Thank you.

Rory - You're alright for a Gunner. Shame about the s*** music though ;)

Deneil - My baby bro! We've been through hell and back. I'm not going to dwell on all the f***ed up situations we've been in. We've always had each others backs and I'm immensely proud of you. You've grown into a wonderful young man and I know you'll go on to bigger things that I could never achieve. I love you.

Andrea - Come and pick up these boxes or I'm f***ing donating them.

Daniel - I love you. I may not be the best father in the world and when you read this back I'll probably be in prison for beating a Taylor Swift fan to death but I want you to know that you are my world.

To my special someone, you know exactly who you are. I think the world of you and although people think I'm incapable of caring for others, I truly care about you. I have a lot of trust issues. I have a lot of behavioural issues. When I'm with you, I feel relaxed and I'm never judged. Very rarely do people actually "get" me and understand my points of view. They might nod along and pretend but I know that we are really in sync with one another. You're amazing.

Weekend - I love you boys more than I can say. In this black heart of mine, you've managed to wedge yourself in :P Not going to get soppy over you because I know you'll make fun of me when you read it back. You know how much you mean to me. You f***ing annoy me but I can't imagine life without you.

Our fans, you are the s***! If it came down to a battle between you lot and all the other fan bases out there, I know who I'd put my money on ;)

Enjoy the album, I'm off for a p***

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I never in a million years thought I would release an album but now here we are at album number two! This time last year we were all stressed up to the eyeballs, racking our brains, trying to figure out what to do with this record. It was either too dance, too pop, too rock...we thought it would never be completed but now I'm here, finally writing up these thanks. What a relief!

Our beautiful fans, without your support our dream would have never become reality. Sure, Weekend may have still formed but without all of the blood sweat and tears you guys put into launching us across the globe and all of the continual support, we would be nothing. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Can't wait to see you on the road next year! Love you all.

Dad, you have always pushed me to be the best that I can be. You were my one and only male role model and authority figure and I couldn't have asked for anyone better. Your work ethic, outlook on life, dedication and devotion to your family cannot me commended enough. I hope that I'm making you proud.

I would like to thank to thank all of the girls in my family. Apart from my father, I was pretty much raised in among a bunch of strong, passionate women who have taught me so many valuable lessons in life. I know how to treat a lady and I've been house trained since I was able to walk. Thanks for all the cleaning tips, Mum! My amazing Nan, my troublesome big sisters, my crazy aunt Frances and of course my wonderful mother, I love you all unconditionally.

I'd also like to thank two VERY special little ladies and one charming little man, my beautiful fiancee Eilidh and my wonderful kids Roo and Rocco. You are the reason I smile when I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning. I strive to be my absolute best so that I can always provide for you and hopefully set a great example. I've always known what I've wanted in life and now I have it - the perfect family. I love you but that's just a huge understatement.

And of course there's the boys, my best friends, my brothers. Riley, Billy, Dustyn and Scott, you guys are the perfect combination of brilliant and insane. Never a dull moment with you lot and I wouldn't want to share this incredible journey with anyone else. People try to create drama and attempt to wedge themselves in between us but we're much bigger than that. Yes, we have our ups and downs but at the end of the day we have nothing but love for one another. Can't wait to see what 2015 has in store for us. We've only just begun!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've been told many times before that I tend to just word vomit and go on and on so I'll try my best to make this straight to point and I'm so sorry if I leave anyone out. It's a mistake and totally not intentional!

First and foremost I want to thank our fans who have been with us through absolutely everything and of course, the new ones too! Basically, if you are reading this right now then you are amazing and I thank you for your support. Whether you've downloaded one of our songs, streamed it online, bought an album, purchased every release, kitted out your entire house in Weekend merchandise, sang your heart out in the front row of one of our concerts, I cannot begin to describe how grateful I am. Not everyone gets to live out their dream and because of YOU, this is possible. We've worked hard on this album and we hope that you enjoy the final outcome. Happy listening :)

I'd like to take a moment to thank Angel Music Records, Mykaylah, Lyrica Ocha, Chaos Records and everyone else involved in the very early days of Weekend. With your help and creative minds, Weekend are here today. Lyrica didn't have to take time out of G2L to form us. Angel Music & Mykaylah could have easily turned away this rowdy bunch of teenage boys. Chaos Records didn't have to save us when our first label closed but they all believed in this band from day one. Thank you so much and I certainly owe you all a lot! Any favours, just hit me up haha!

Scott R.H - Thank you for signing us to Chaos and then believing in us enough to convince us to launch Pesky. I'm still in disbelief that a true music icon like yourself would even wish to associate with a pop band full of immature boys. I am so proud to say that I have learned from and worked for someone of your calibre. Not only that, I can proudly call you a friend. Genuine bro hug coming your way, ha!

Jennifer - For Scott's sake I think we should mention the Mama Jen days as little as possible! Won't go into detail as I can sense your husband cringing right now but you know how much of a part you played in our early days. Thanks for the never ending support and for keeping Mr Wellington fed and watered!

Dustyn - My little baby bro. You inspire me so much. The world only knows a quarter of your story and even that has them all in awe. You're a true talent with a kind heart and a wonderful approach to life. Keep doing what you do, buddy!

Scott - If I ever need cheering up I honestly just read out some of your tweets. You're so witty, smart and have me in stitches constantly. I think you have so much to offer and you never give yourself enough credit. You're awesome.

Oscar - Seeing you with your family makes me feel so proud. You're a great dad, wonderful fiance to Eilidh, amazing performer and you're at the forefront of this dysfunctional band. Is there anything you can't do!??

Billy - Like Scott, you don't give yourself enough credit. People will always talk but I know you're a great person and hello, have you heard that voice of yours!? Jealous. Just do you and like I always say, think positive! :)

Michelle & Orson - My beautiful wife and son. I have been through many rough patches. Some have been documented and spread all over the magazines and internet but a lot has went on that has remained behind closed doors. No matter how low I've been though, you two are always there to put a smile on my face. When I think things are tough I remind myself just how lucky I am to be living this life and to have such an incredible family. Michelle, you are the strongest person I know. You've got a heart a gold, so smart, excellent with Orson, terrific listener, the most beautiful girl in the world. The word perfect springs to mind. Orson, my little champion! I hope daddy is making you proud. You are my everything.

I would like to dedicated this album to my parents, Beverly and Thomas Hamilton, who are sadly no longer with us. God has a design and I sometimes don't understand it. There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about you both. It saddens me that I can't share this journey with you and that you never got the chance to meet your first grandchild but I will continue to be the best that I can be and do it all in your honour.

Thank you all and I hope you all enjoy the album XX

Edited by user 11 October 2019 10:42:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

thanks 15 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 15/11/2014(UTC), erich hess on 15/11/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 15/11/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/11/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 15/11/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 16/11/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 23/11/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 02/12/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 08/04/2015(UTC), kandii on 08/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2014 09:23:57(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Title: Back In The Day
B Side: Back In The Day (Acoustic), Back In The Day (Cahill Radio Edit)
Length: 3:47
Genre: Power Pop, Rock Pop, Soft Rock
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan
Produced By: Deneil
Format: CD, Digital Download
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: About Time

Weekend are back and ready to take on the pop charts by storm yet again after some time away from the music scene. It has been over two and a half years since they released their debut smash of an album, "Fired Up", and is also approaching two full years since the re-released version, "Fired Up: Reloaded", hit the shelves. The band first burst onto the scene in early 2012 with their rock/pop teenage love anthem "Everything About You" which reached number two and despite missing out on the top spot, it is still one of their biggest selling singles to date. Second single followed in the form of R&B influenced number one ballad "Smile About It" and top 5 pop stomper "Fired Up" came shortly afterwards. As if a string of hit singles and a chart topping album weren't enough, Weekend re-released the album which topped the charts yet again and also celebrated another number one single, "Lock It Up", and another top five, "Turn Up The Volume". Following on from that, the boys toured around the globe in their first ever world tour which sold out in minutes. A band who were put together only three months before releasing their debut single do not immediately top the charts, break records and go on a world tour to support their first ever release. It was clear that Weekend had something special.

The original second album was titled "Wild Young & Free" and was expected to have a late 2013 release alongside and official lead single. In 2013 the boys released two free downloads (Tonight & Out Of My Mind) but when official release dates for a single and the album came to fruition, nothing materialised. It was later revealed that the project was shelved as not all members of the band liked the record and believed that it is not what the fans wanted to hear either. After an extended break, the boys returned in April 2014 with "How It Ends", a rock influenced ballad which became yet another number one for the group. This was their first official release in over a year and proved to be a huge critical and commercial success. Now they are unleashing a brand new single upon us before smacking us around the head with probably one of the most anticipated pop records of the century.

"Back In The Day" is a power pop song influenced by rock. The song serves as the second single from their upcoming sophomore album, "About Time". Back In The Day is Weekend's seventh official single, following a string of successful top five releases. The song was written by three of the band members; Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton and Billy Khan. Recording took place in the early summer of 2014, making the song one of the very last to be included on their long awaited second studio album. The original August release was pushed back as the group felt that the song did not give off a "summer vibe" and that the classic rock influenced song would be best suited for a Q4 release. Production was handled by critically acclaimed British producer, rapper and songwriter Deneil who is also the younger sibling of Billy Khan. Sonically, the song marks a change for both the band and the producer. Deneil has claimed that it is his most "pop" sounding production to date while Weekend also believe that it is more "easy on the ears" than any of their previous releases.

The song was written by Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton and Billy Khan while staying for a night in Blue's home. Fellow band members Oscar Ward and Scott Wellington were also scheduled to be in attendance but due to other personal commitments, the boys were not able to make an appearance that night. Although having over one hundred songs written for the new record at that point, Weekend decided to hold multiple new writing sessions throughout the summer to bring fresh ideas to the table as well as creating possible hits for other artists that are signed to their own imprint, Five Pesky Kids. The boys reflected on the lyrics to their latest single, "How It Ends", and wanted to almost switch it all around. Rather than yearning for a relationship that is never going to happen, the boys decided to write a song about having everything they could have dreamed of and making the most out of it while appreciating what they have. Khan stated that rather than writing "yet another sad song" it would be far more interesting to create something more "uplifting" while trying to maintain the subtlety of the highly successful "How It Ends". The song stems from the line, "We're rocket ships leaving trails in our wake", which is taken from an unreleased Weekend track titled "Rockets".

Vocals
Oscar - Unlike the majority of Weekend's songs, Oscar does not receive the most solo time on this track. Ward has recently revealed that he has strained his vocal chords and therefore has had to take a backseat on some of the later recordings featured on "About Time". He does have a rather lengthy part on "Back In The Day" however, singing the second pre-chorus. Despite his damaged vocals, he takes on a rather challenging piece of the song as it is sung in a higher register than the verses and chorus. Oscar still sounds like he always has - showing off very powerful, throaty vocals. The strain only really takes place during his "belts" which he has avoided on this track.

Dustyn - Singing the first pre-chorus and one line in the bridge, Dustyn officially has the most solo time on the single. Listeners have always commented on the growth and maturity of Dustyn's vocals throughout each single release. Despite being the youngest, he has the deepest and huskiest voice while also having one of the biggest ranges. In the pre-chorus, he sings a little higher than he naturally does while still managing to maintain his powerful runs and Irish twang. For some, it might seem a little overpowering but to others his voice can be described as "magical" as there is so much power behind it and truly unique. During his line in the bridge, Blue lowers his voice and it sounds deeper than it has before. It is very rich and pronounced. Comparing it to his delivery in the pre-chorus, it's pretty clear that he has a very wide vocal range.

Billy - Billy sings the first verse, taking over from when the group open up the song in unison. His silky voice may not be as strong as that of Ward and Blue but many have dubbed him as Weekend's secret weapon and that he "sprinkles sugar over the songs". Most of Weekend's songs are very "heavy" in sound and extremely rock/pop oriented so Billy's smooth vocals sometimes seem out of place and he only really comes into play during big, dramatic ad-libs. Since "Back In The Day" is more laid back in sound, it really gives Billy a chance to shine. His serene vocals really compliment the beat and it is a rarity that Billy gets to open up a track. Towards the end of the track, Billy starts to do some of his famous ad-libs in a spine tingling dramatic falsetto.

Riley - Riley sings the second verse of the song. His voice is naturally higher than the others so when his verse comes around, it is an octave above the others. Many have said his voice rather nasally and too high pitched but here, although still higher than the other boys, he still manages to tone it down and keep the mellow feel of the track. Also, in the chorus, his vocals can be easy to pinpoint as he does the high harmony throughout and regular lead vocalist, Oscar Ward has taken a step back. Hamilton, Khan and Blue (who also happen to be the writers) are the most prominent vocalists throughout the chorus.

Scott - Scott only has one line in the new single and like Ward, he has made a conscious decision to have less solo time. On the original demo version of "Back In The Day", Scott sings the second half of the second verse, following on from Riley while Dustyn sings the bridge entirely himself. After receiving lots of backlash for his live vocal performance on "How It Ends" at the latest Chaos Awards, Scott has admitted that his confidence as a vocalist has been knocked and asked to only have a very small part on this single. His vocals are not as strong as the others but he has a beautiful tone and delivers his line in his usual dreamy, soothing way.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Na, na, na, na, hey-ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na

The attraction isn't missing and the intensity is there
The kissing is still amazing, don't want to come up for air
Now that you've came back around I won't waste a second of it
You shook my world but I won't lie, I enjoyed the whole shake and hit

So let that loaded cannon blow as all of the drums start to roll
We're both sky bound, no time to think about what we left below
Yeah, we've got the love and know our hearts by heart
I'm the fire, you're the gasoline, we blaze on through the dark

Tonight we're going soar through the darkened sky
We'll be burning so bright they can see us from afar
Eyes full of stars as you're taking my breath away
Heads up in the clouds like they were back in the day
Tonight we'll travel at the speed of light
Make up for the lost time and put it right
We're rocket ships leaving trails in our wake
Going all out like we use to back in the day

Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Na, na, na, na, hey-ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na

Like a bolt out of the blue, like the clapping of thunder
I'm knocked around, I'm in a daze, must be a spell I'm under
When we're together you know it's like the crashing of the waves
Ferocious yet so beautiful and there's no way to escape

So let that loaded cannon blow as all of the drums start to roll
We're both sky bound, no time to think about what we left below

Tonight we're going soar through the darkened sky
We'll be burning bright so they can see us from afar
We're rocket ships leaving trails in our wake

Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Na, na, na, na, hey-ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na

Now we're on another level and gonna ride it through
Just like back in the day, you know I'm still all about you

Tonight we're going soar through the darkened sky (the sky)
We'll be burning bright so they can see us from afar (see us from afar)
We're rocket ships leaving trails in our wake (in our wa-a-a-ake, yeah)

Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Na, na, na, na, hey-ah (back in the day, oh yeah)
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na
Na, na, na, na, hey-ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey, na

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 13 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 15/11/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/11/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 15/11/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 16/11/2014(UTC), erich hess on 16/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 20/11/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 21/11/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2014 07:02:37(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: To keep from embarrassing myself, I'm going to refrain from using the title as a cheesy pun, and instead I'll just say that I'm super excited about the new album. I can't wait to hear each track.

Ooc: Finally a new weekend album and you used 'Steal My Girl!' Love that song. :D
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 16/11/2014(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2014 06:58:22(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Ride or Die
Length: 3:32
Genre: Pop, Rock Pop
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, O.Ward, S.Wellington
Produced By: Julian Bunetta

Ride or Die is the second track on Weekend's second studio "About Time". It was written by all members of the band and is the only song to feature writing input by all five boys. This is also the only track that Oscar Ward contributed to as the rest of his efforts did not make the final cut. The track was recorded in their very own Pesky Studios in London in January 2014. Production was handled by Julian Bunetta who has been brought in to work with the band for the first time. Ride or Die is a rock pop song but unlike a lot of previous Weekend material, this track leans more towards a heavier rock style and shows a harder edge to the group. Elements of pop still remain but the main focal points are the harsh, throaty vocals and the ferocious electric guitar. The track has been critically praised for it's overall sound and has been described as a "smack around the head" upon first listen.

The track immediately starts off with harsh strums of the guitar and crashing drums, played very slow and precisely as if it is all part of a warm up before they get ready to take off. Right from the start, the song already has a very live sounding atmosphere which has been promised by the band and it certainly delivers. The introduction can give off the impression that this song will have a "dark" feel to it but as it builds up, it takes the form of a stadium filling anthem with a huge singalong at the top of your lungs style chorus. The lyrics describe a girl who likes to play around with the hearts of men to get what she wants before discarding them when they are no longer needed yet the boys still seem to be infatuated with her despite being well aware of her antics and how her mind works.

Dustyn opens up the track in his usual rich tone which is only amplified with the thrashing nature of the song, giving him room to actually let go and not contain his impressive voice like he has to on the usual pop songs. He is definitely one of the most confident vocalists and is best suited to "heavy" tracks like this. Billy takes on the second verse and while his voice is easier on the ears in general, there is a slight rough edge to it on this track which is a first. Singing a verse, being one of the most dominant on the chorus and singing the outro, Billy is probably the standout vocalist on this song. Oscar takes on the pre-chorus and the short bridge. His parts are less vocally challenging but having a natural voice type that is more suited to the rock style he still sounds like a natural and at ease despite damaged vocal chords. Riley sings the third verse and critics have noted that his vocals are surprisingly similar to Dustyn's but his register is higher, making that the key giveaway as to who is singing. He has always been noted for having a slightly higher and nasal tone. Scott does not have a solo part in this song. When they all come together, they're powerful voices fuse to make one big, hands in the air chant. Billy and Riley sound slightly more dominant in the chorus but avid Weekend fans will still be able to pick out their faves.

UserPostedImage

You're stuck in your own twisted little world and I've been pulled in
You tear me up and keep the pieces for yourself but I don't mind it
I think that I need a shaking, I don't know what I'm doing
Any sane mind would tell you to go but yet I'm still here standing

You flick your hair, show that pretty face just to get some free drinks
Daggers from all the other girls but you only care what the guys think
You walk like you own the place and got me all in a daze
You're nothing but poison but with each drip I grow to the taste

You abuse all of your bad girl charm
You cause nothing but upset and harm
I need an antidote because I'm so hooked
But I never knew that pain could feel this good

I know that you catch a lot hearts, they're lining up around the block
You stack them all up like a house of cards and I'm sitting up at the top
With one swift move you send them all flying, swept away in the breeze
No word of warning, all lifelines cut off and we fall like autumn leaves
I know I've been used yet I still want you, I just can't deny
For some strange reason I come back for more, I'll ride or die

You take all of these numbers and flutter your long eyelashes
It's like a sport, you're keeping score of all of the passes
I know that I'm not the only one, another toy in your long line
Yet I still pray that you want more, hanging on waiting for a sign

You abuse all of your bad girl charm
You cause nothing but upset and harm
I need an antidote because I'm so hooked
But I never knew that pain could feel this good

You're stuck in your own twisted little world and I've been pulled in
You tear me up and keep the pieces for yourself but I don't mind it

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 12 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 17/11/2014(UTC), erich hess on 17/11/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 17/11/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 20/11/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 22/11/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 17/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2014 11:02:42(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Run
Length: 3:50
Written By: D.Blue, J.Wyatt

Run is the third track on Weekend's second studio "About Time". It was written by Dustyn Blue and Australian songwriter Janelle Wyatt. The pair became acquainted after Wyatt signed a publishing deal with Pesky back in February this year. Dustyn and Janelle have written numerous songs together which have all been pitched to different artists. "Run" is the only Blue/Wyatt collaboration that has been kept for Weekend. The track was recorded in their very own Pesky Studios in London in August 2014, becoming one of the very last songs to be recorded for the album. Production was handled by Julian Bunetta who has been brought in to work with the band for the first time and is a staple within the new record. Run is a rock pop song like the majority of "About Time" and is noted for being one of the standout songs on the record for it's pop sensibilities and 80's influence. Unlike previous track, Ride or Die, this song has a slightly more commercial edge. While the rock influence is hard to deny and it is still certainly heavier than previous material, the "boy band pop" sound is still intact and "Run" is one of the go-to tracks for people who aren't ready to experience the "harsher" side of Weekend yet. ut unlike a lot of previous Weekend material, this track leans more towards a heavier rock style and shows a harder edge to the group. The song is heavily influenced by rock tracks from the 1980's and the boys confessed that they dusted off their parents' record collection to garner some inspiration. Many have dubbed the song as "the best on the album" and "an obvious single choice".

The track starts off with a few strums of the guitar, giving off a very dramatic vibe from the offset. The spaced out, slow strums would give off the impression that this was another mid-tempo track like the singles released so far if not for the escalating tinkering of the keyboard in the background. The keys are subtle, not distracting from the guitar, but the constant tinkering doesn't go unnoticed and creates some tension as it indicates that the track is building up. This arrangement continues throughout the verses until the pre-chorus where the guitars become more fierce, the keyboard subsides and a build-up of hand claps ensue. The booming guitar-heavy chorus continues the live sounding atmosphere and it is here that the 1980's influence can be strongly detected. The lyrics of the song describe someone who has been mollycoddled and reserved all of their life (probably by their parents) but they are now finally facing their fears and are ready to take on the world. After finally falling for someone, they want to take their first leap of faith and step out into the real adult world in spite of what harm may come their way. It's a track about experiencing life and accepting that things will go wrong but beautiful things will also come out of it.

Riley opens up the track in a slightly lower register than he usually does. Throughout this record, Riley is proving how versatile he can be. He is noted for doing high harmonies but on this track and many others, he shows that his voice has a rougher edge to it albeit not as strong as Dustyn and Oscar's naturally rich voices. Dustyn takes on the second verse and his Irish accent sounds very prominent on this track, especially on the words "knuckles", "tethering", "waters" and "release". It is pretty obvious that Dustyn is in his vocal element on this album as he has a voice best suited to edgy tracks like these. With Oscar taking a backseat, it seems like Dustyn has even more room to shine. Oscar sings the pre-chorus which is a little shorter than the verses. This track was recorded when Ward's vocals were at their worst so there is no major key change or challenging notes in his parts. For the part he sings though, he still sounds as professional as ever. Billy sings the chorus himself for the first time around, showing off his terrific belting range. Before, he had been criticised for not knowing the difference between belting and shouting but now it appears he has controlled and tamed his voice and along with Blue, is set to really shine in Weekend. He also sings the third verse, a line in the bridge and the closing line, making him the most prominent vocalist on the track. Scott sings the pre-chorus the second time around. While it is nothing challenging, he sings in a naturally higher register than Oscar, giving it a little more energy which fits in perfectly as the song has really kicked off by that point. He is the only member not to have a line in the bridge, therefore Wellington has the least vocal time again.

UserPostedImage

I used to live my life perched on the edge of a wire
Open skies looked so tempting but I was scared to take the leap
Not even a toe in the water, happy being stuck in my tower
Dry mouth and sweaty palms, barely standing on my own two feet

White knuckles from clutching on to tethering thread
Afraid to test new waters, I was never one to rock the boat
My heart always wanted a release, it was a battle with my head
Had to make that jump, couldn't go on living as one big joke

I'll chase the light and step out from the dark
This is it, I'll paint it all with a million stars
I'm ready for you and you best believe it

Oh no you can't hide love and you can't deny life
I've tried so hard to cover it up but now I'm here to say
Oh I want your everything, I want the ups and downs
I want it for better or for worse, I want to take it all the way
I've tried playing it safe now I wanna take it head on
Throw me into the deep end, no baby steps, take my hand and run

Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh

Spent many years in chains, heard all the horror stories
Wrapped in cotton wool, I thought I should stick to what I know
Was told love hurts too much and I was sick with worry
But I took a deep breath, there comes a time to let fears go

I'll chase the light and step out from the dark
This is it, I'll paint it all with a million stars
I'm ready for you and you best believe it

Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh

I'll take a chance on love, I'll take a chance on life
I'll walk straight through the fire, I'll deal with the burns
I'm wanting every little thing, right now it's all or nothing
Got my eyes set on the target, now it's time to start running

Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh

Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 12 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 20/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 20/11/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 20/11/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/11/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 22/11/2014(UTC), erich hess on 23/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 24/11/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 18/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2014 11:42:14(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: A Step From Heaven
Length: 3:53
Genre: Pop
Written By: D.Blue, B.Khan
Produced By: LosOscuros

A Step From Heaven is the fourth track on Weekend's second studio "About Time". The song was written by two of the band members, Dustyn Blue and Billy Khan. The pair have the most writing credits on the album, with Blue having his name on all fifteen of the tracks. Dustyn and Billy wrote the song in February 2014 and have admitted that this is the song that they are most proud of, not only on this album but out of all of Weekend's songs. "A Step From Heaven" was originally recorded at Pesky Studios in early 2014. The original version involved the members singing different parts and it was a stripped back recording with just a piano. The track was excluded from the but after much deliberation, the boys decided to revisit the song in late summer. The new version which appears on "About Time" was recorded in Metropolis Studios and contains a more pop approach while still remaining in the form of a ballad. The tone of the chorus became more uplifting and raising in sound to coincide with the idea of "approaching heaven". Female backing singers are also included towards the end to give it an almost gospel feel. The track is the first ballad on the album and is noted for being the first song to move away from the new heavier rock sound in favour of the typical boy band ballad style.

The track begins with very simple high notes on piano, relaxed but constantly playing along with the gentle strumming of a guitar. The keys are the focal point of the intro while the guitar is just adding extra effect. Already, it is pretty clear that this is back into boy band ballad territory and a lot calmer in sound compared to the first three tracks which have played. The first verse starts after ten seconds and while the gentle strumming is still ongoing, the piano playing changes. Three lower, more dramatic sounding keys are played and are more spaced out. This continues on into the second verse first chorus but by that point, all five of the boys voices are the focus. The third verse is similar but with some bass now added to take the song into a more "pop" and uplifting approach. The same goes for the second time the chorus comes around, giving it a little more edge and complementing the lyrics and vocals nicely. The deep bass makes for a dramatic build-up during the vocally challenging bridge, giving a definitely feeling of "escalating" before whooshing of into the chorus again, now complete with gospel backing vocalists which really gives the song that heavenly vibe. The lyrics were inspired by some of the messages the boys receive from fans. Many young girls have issues with their appearance and often teased about what/who they like. Despite the word "heaven", this song is not actually about death but rather stepping into a new, peaceful world with the band. It's an ode to the fans and telling them that they truly care about them and nothing goes unnoticed by them. There is a connection between Weekend and Weekenders that people may not understand but it will certainly never be broken.

Oscar is the first member to sing and it is reminiscent of tracks from the first record and its re-release. Oscar was always dubbed "the first verse man" but was yet to open up a song on "About Time" until now. Being recorded later in the year, Oscar's vocal part had to be rather easy for him due to strained vocals. He sings rather gently across this beautiful ballad with ease. On recordings, his voice sounds fine due to many different attempts, editing and/or just having good days in the studio. Ward's vocals are on top form throughout the record. It's only live performances that may be a problem for him. Dustyn takes on the second verse in a similar approach to Oscar's. His voice sounds very delicate and fragile but with a little more power behind it than Ward's. Dustyn's voice actually sounds similar to his "squeakier" sixteen year old deliveries from the first record. Scott sings the third verse and continues the trend, keeping things relaxed vocally. Wellington's voice is naturally soft so he has time to shine on this track and seems more at home here. Riley takes us by surprise, cutting Scott off and while he still sings softly, it is in a rather high falsetto. It has been detected in his high harmonies and it's always been clear that his voice is naturally the highest pitched but it's never been heard so blatantly. Almost everyone who heard it for the first time immediately commented on and praised Hamilton's unexpected delivery. Billy sings the bridge with a whole lot power. Switching from whispering falsetto notes to harsh belts with ease, he shows off exactly what he can do with his voice and why he's a force to be reckoned with.

UserPostedImage

Don't tell me you're not worth fighting for
Don't say that you just don't belong
I know it's been a bumpy ride but I'm still here, I weather the storm
Don't ever think you're less than perfect
I don't want to hear you put yourself down
It's a cold world out there but in me you'll always have a home

There will be many times of confusion
There will be many more mountains to reach and climb
It seems hopeless right now but believe me, things will work out just fine
There's always going to be the non-believers
But don't you even give them any of your time
Shrug it off and hold my hand, I'll take a place so divine

Don't let go now because we're just a step from heaven
With a touch all the pain and fear will subside
And soon we'll fly, 'cause that love just lifts us higher
Dry those tears streaming from those bloodshot eyes
Don't let go now, oh we're just a step from heaven
Reaching a new plane that is way beyond bliss
Hold your head high, I know that you are a true fighter
Let it go, come with me 'cause we're just one step from...

I know that they've been less than kind
And in the mirror, you shout and cry everyday
But I am here to tell you, that you're beautiful in every single way

I know that sticks and stones hurt you
But a slash of silver only cuts you much deeper
Don't be your own punching bag, come with me into brighter days

Never be ashamed (oh, oh, oh)
Never be afraid of our love
Never doubt who you are
It's hard but we'll take it day by day
You don't have to justify your feelings and thoughts for anyone
You don't have to prove a point or answer the biting questions
And you don't have to run scared 'cause we're just a step from heaven

Let it go, come with me 'cause we're just one step from (heaven)

And soon we'll fly, 'cause that love just lifts us higher...

[fade]

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 23/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 23/11/2014(UTC), erich hess on 23/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 24/11/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 06/12/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 06/12/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 18/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2014 05:41:57(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Animal
Length: 3:20
Written By: D.Blue, S.Hollywood, B.Khan
Produced By: Savan Kotecha

Animal is the fifth track on Weekend's second studio album "About Time". The song was written by band members Dustyn Blue and Billy Khan along with Sara Hollywood. The group have written many of Weekend's major hits together, proving to be a highly successful combination. The track was written in the summer of 2013 and is the oldest track on the record. It was originally intended for inclusion on the original version of their second album which never materialised. In 2013, the boys released some free downloads but no official single or album. It was rumoured that this track was set to be the lead single from the now scrapped project. Animal is noted for it's suggestive lyrics, breaking away from the squeaky clean sound on their first record. While the song is not explicit, many people were shocked upon hearing the sexually suggestive lyrics. Scott Wellington, however, cleared the air and stated that the song is not actually about sex; "Parts of the song are about being close and intimate but "freeing the animal" is just about finding the spark and passion again. We wanted it to be a little suggestive and I can see why people would think that but it's about feeling alive and experiencing that rush you get when you fall in love. It's not saying "let's have sex". You know this band, we'd be more blunt about that." Production was handled by Savan Kotecha and was rerecorded in 2014. It is said to be Scott's favourite song on the record.

The song opens up with a clapping riff which has been compared to that of Queen's We Will Rock You and E.T by Katy Perry although a lot more rock influenced than the style of the latter. Although the song follows the heavy rock-pop sound featured on the rest of "About Time", it is noted for being sonically similar to some tracks from their first record albeit slightly heavier in sound. It is mid-tempo and written in the key of Ab. The first verse is supported with the strumming of an acoustic guitar alongside piano lines and the continuing clapping riff. The pre-chorus is not too dissimilar only with a slightly more amplified bass to give it a slightly more dramatic edge. The chorus only consists of the "boom boom clap" style riff and a few strums of an electric guitar. The main focus of the chorus is the powerful vocals of Blue as his chanting drowns out the instrumentation. The second verse brings back in the acoustic guitar again and the pre-chorus repeats it the same manner as before. During the bridge, the same instrumentation as the chorus is used only with the electric guitar becoming slightly more prominent but not enough to overpower the strong vocals of all five members. The song ends after Dustyn chants the last line with no backing music and cuts off abruptly after the word "animal".

All of the boys' vocals have been heavily praised on the track with many critics calling the song their best vocal performance collectively. Oscar is the first to sing, opening up in a rather cool and breezy manner. His vibrato and approach to the lyrics have been highlighted. Many nitpicking critics have stated that while Oscar has a good vocal range, he sometimes comes across as monotonous and rarely sounds like he connects with the song but that is not the case on Animal. He has an appeal to his voice that just draws the listener in along with the playful and catchy strumming of the guitar. Scott sings the pre-chorus twice which has drawn a lot of attention from fans and critics. Wellington rarely sings and when he does, his performance is often heavily criticised but here he sounds rather powerful, passionate and has even been dubbed as the highlight of the song along with Blue. Although his part is not vocally challenging for his fellow band mates, for a vocalist heavily considered as "weak" it is rather impressive as he manages to maintain singing in a high register throughout his parts. Dustyn takes the chorus and has been referred to as the heart and core of the song, blowing the listeners away with his powerful performance. He is none for his husky, rich tone and his impressive range and power which all come to the forefront in this song. He delivers his lines with conviction and with a certain sexiness and mischievousness to his voice. Riley sings the second verse in a similar vein of Oscar's performance but in a higher register. Hamilton manages to combine the tone of Ward, high vocals of Wellington and charm of Blue. Critics have called his part rather "seductive" and "hypnotic" while some have argued that it is a tad too sharp and piercing. For the first time on this record, Billy does not have a major solo part. Instead he ad-libs multiple high notes towards the end of the song. Khan "sprinkles sugar" on top of the track, coating the harsh track with his sweet and smooth vocals.

UserPostedImage

Let's take it back to when we first met, long strolls by the sea with the wind in our hair
Pull it back together because there's much more left, don't kiss me goodbye and let the sun set
You know that we can't let this love flat line, it's time to start making some waves
Don't shy away and run off because it's tough, time to fight for this love and free the animal

I've tossed and turned through many lonely nights
I know you've felt the same way too so don't leave us behind
Baby come on over, let me whisper something in your ear
Can't repeat it so I'll make sure you hear me crystal clear

I want you to detonate me, come on over here and set it off
There is no more time for waiting, we've gotta free this animal
Drive me crazy, move a little more closer to me, I'll show you how much I care
Don't let this die, keep this love alive and free the, free the, free the animal

I wanna feel alive again, feel the pulsing in my veins and the ground under my bare feet
We've got to get the blood racing like before, I wanna feel every boom and every beat
I've got a whole lot more to give to you, don't give up on us, haven't seen what I can do
Wanna make you feel like the only person in the world, want to let go and free the animal

I've tossed and turned through many lonely nights (many lonely nights)
I know you've felt the same way too so don't leave us behind (don't leave us behind)
Baby come on over, let me whisper something in your ear (come closer to me)
Can't repeat it so I'll make sure you hear me crystal clear

There is no more time for waiting, we've gotta free this animal
Drive me crazy, move a little more closer to me, I'll show you how much I care
Don't let this die, keep this love alive and free the, free the, free the animal

It's time to free it again, seems like we just gotta give in
I know that you're scared of letting go-oh
But we've gotta keep fighting for us, halfhearted isn't good enough
Free the animal and show me your wild love

There is no more time for waiting, we've gotta free this animal (free this...free this)
Drive me crazy, move a little more closer to me, I'll show you how much I care (yeah)

I want you to detonate me, come on over here and set it off (detonate me, yeah)
There is no more time for waiting, we've gotta free this animal (free this, free this animal)
Drive me crazy, move a little more closer to me, I'll show you how much I care (yeah, yeah, hey)

It's time to free it again

(repeat until fade)

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 06 December 2014 05:43:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 06/12/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 06/12/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 06/12/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 07/12/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), kandii on 18/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2015 06:52:48(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Only Just Begun
Length: 3:47
Genres: Pop
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, R.Ifon, E.Reynolds

Only Just Begun is the sixth track on Weekend's second studio album "About Time". The song was written by band members Dustyn Blue and Riley Hamilton alongside writing partners Renee Ifon and Edward Reynolds. The group wrote the song in early 2014, making it one of the last songs created for the project. Dustyn Blue wrote the majority of the song on his own while staying in a hotel during a promotional trip to Japan. Blue was reflecting upon the early days of the band and just how much they have achieved without even having released a second studio album. The track was recorded at Pesky Studios the day after the song was finished with the help of Riley Hamilton, Renee Ifon and Edward Reynolds. A mid-tempo 60's pop inspired backing track already existed, originally intended for another track from the album and the band decided to build the melody around it. The song is one of the slowest moments on the predominately rock influenced record. Much like the track "A Step From Heaven", the band come together to harmonise many times throughout the song which is something all of the fans love to hear. As well as harmonising together on the chorus, throughout portions of the song they also blend their five unique voices together to provide backing vocals taking the form of chilling "ooohs" and "aaahs" which give the ballad added depth and a contemplative feel.

The track opens up with a gentle tinkering of high piano keys, already stating that this song will be one of the more tender moments on "About Time". While Weekend's rock sound is always praised as it sets them apart from the likes of The Stat Nerds, The Zone and ELMNT, it is the ballads that really show off their vocal abilities and creativity. A mid-tempo always gets the fans all hot and bothered as the band always focus on meaningful lyrics and stunning vocal performances which is why they are loved by them so much. Uptempo tracks get the party started and allows fans to get whisked off into a carefree world but the ballads are the true Weekend moments. Unlike other slower paced songs in Weekend's back catalogue, Only Just Begun stands out for two very different reasons. The backing track has a throwback feel to it, taking inspiration from songs by 1960's harmonising vocal pop bands. The lyrics do not deal with a relationship like a lot of stereotypical boy band ballads. Instead the song reflects on the early days of the band and the ups and downs they endured. Despite all the "tears", "issues", juggling band life and school work and missing out on free time and sleep, they wouldn't change it for the world and look forward to what is yet to come. Many who have heard it already claim that it will soon become the theme song for Weekend and fans around the world as it documents their journey so far.

Billy opens up the song with his smooth silky vocals, drawing the listener in from the off. The throwback pop sound compliments Billy's dreamy vocals beautifully as it glides over the track with ease. There is a sense of honesty and humbleness in his voice as he starts to tell us about Weekend's insane journey to worldwide success. In the original demo, Billy sung the first verse and the third one which starts off with "we wrap it all up around lunchtime in the studio". That verse however refers to heading back to school and as Billy dropped out of education before joining the band it didn't feel appropriate resulting in him only having the first verse. Dustyn then takes on the second verse, signing in a huskier tone then Billy and also at a slightly faster pace. His rich vocals stand out even more as it is sandwich between Riley and Billy's parts, two of the softer voices in the band. Like Billy, Dustyn's performance is very believable as he recalls his time in school while recording their debut album. Dustyn also takes the second verse as Billy felt like it didn't seem authentic enough to come from him. Riley comes in and sweeps us away with the pre-chorus. Although he doesn't have many lines, he is the shining star in this swaying pop ballad. His clear and soaring soprano really stand out, showing a lot of improvement from the first album when it used to seem rather piercing and not very well enunciated. The boys all harmonise together in the chorus and Scott takes the last two lines of it. His vocals have came under fire in the past but as this song isn't vocally challenging (aside from Riley's parts), he sounds very at ease here and his soft vocals fit in well with the overall sound of Only Just Begun. Oscar sings the fourth verse, singing in a similar style to Dustyn's in his second verse. It is slightly faster in pace and Ward's deep, rocky edged vocal delivery make it almost identical to Blue's.

UserPostedImage

Reflecting back on all of our Kodak moments
Here's to many more like all the ones we had way back when
There's been so many tear drops and issues
Now I can look back at laugh at the person I was then

Bus to bus, out of breath, such an eager little kid, oh
Used to rush around and dance among big city lights
School books weighing me down as I battled through the rain
No time to fix my hair, just wanted to be on time

And as time keeps on passing me by
I try to catch my breath but this whirlwind, it never waits for me
(Yeah, yeah, oh, oh, oh, oh)

I'm still a kid right at heart but got a lifetime of memories in my head
Walked through the deep and the shallow, so many things that I have learned
And there's no signs of stopping, the long and winding rivers still flow
We'll ride it out together but where it leads us, nobody even knows
And we've only just begun, only, only just begun
Only just, only just, only just begun

And we've only just begun yet it seems like a lifetime
Though I would never change a thing that's happened on this ride

We wrap it all up around lunchtime in the studio
Wipe the crumbs from my jumper and it's straight back to school
Coming home after being picked up and driven just like royalty
Though it was far from it, doing maths and changing in the back seat

Though half asleep, I don't think that I've ever missed out
Still had my friends and they always stood right by me
I know that I had little time to just kick back and chill
A hectic lifestyle but I made sure to still keep it real

I swear it was only just yesterday
I try to catch my breath but the years don't seem to wait for me

And I will hold my hands, sometimes the going gets tough
But it's all worth it in the end
I take a look around me and see all that I have achieved
Know all that doesn't come easily
And as our lives keep turning, we just keep on learning
We're still those five pesky kids

And as time keeps on passing me by
I try to catch my breath but this whirlwind, it never waits for me

Can be compared to:

Edited by user 05 July 2015 20:48:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

snap_itshannah on 26/03/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/03/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 26/03/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 26/03/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 08/04/2015(UTC), kandii on 08/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2015 05:53:08(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: The Lucky Ones
Length: 3:31
Genres: Pop. Rock Pop
Written By: D.Blue

The Lucky Ones is the seventh track on Weekend's long awaited sophomore album, "About Time". The song was written solely by the youngest member of the pop band, Dustyn Blue. Having writing credits on all of the songs and penning two entirely on his own, this makes Dustyn the only member to have an input on every single track that made the album. Blue wrote the song in early 2013, intending for it to be included on the original version of the second album but it failed to make the final tracklisting. When the album was shelved and the group started on the new project which would then become this album, Dustyn rewrote some of the verses and put it forward again. The track was recorded at a makeshift studio set up in a hotel room while the group where in Australia during a promotional tour. Like a lot of the album, the song contains a throwback rock influence. The breezy classic rock inspired tune has received comparisons to that of one The Eagles could pull off. Alongside the harmonising not to dissimilar to the sounds of The Beach Boys, it is clear that the boys have been digging through their parents' record collections for inspiration which isn't necessarily a bad thing. "The Lucky Ones" was selected by Oscar Ward as his favourite track on the album. The song was also initially intended to be released as the second single from the album but was pushed aside in favour of "Back In The Day" which became another number one single for the band. It is rumoured that it will now be the third single lifted from the album.

The song opens with a breezy strumming of a guitar which is played by none other than Weekend's very own Dustyn Blue. Having written the song entirely by himself, Blue felt it was necessary that he also made a point of being involved in the instrumentation too as he feels a very strong connection to the song. It is already apparent that the song is following the throwback vibes explored on the previous track "Only Just Begun". While it is laid back like the previous track, the drums suddenly kick on alongside Dustyn's vocals which are lively and gives the track a more upbeat feeling to it. The instrumentation remains similar all throughout the song with the guitar becoming more prominent in the verses and taking a step back in the chorus to really allow the harmonising of the boys to take centre stage. The track has all the makings of a pop track, with catchy lyrics and a very simple and repetitive beat that is hard to fault. The production is what sets it apart from a lot of Weekend and pop songs in general. There is no crazy drop, no thrashing instruments and the beat is kept soft and mellow which allows the vocals to carry the track along. It all sounds as if the song was put together effortlessly yet with a stellar outcome. While this album shows the growth of the band both musically and lyrically in different aspects, this song has been highlighted as the one that truly sets the bar for what will become their third album and has been praised for sounding maturer than any of their past material yet still keeping Weekend's much loved charm intact.

Dustyn opens up the song and sounds slightly different than usual. Many compare his deep husky voice to Oscar Ward's but in "The Lucky Ones", especially during his verses, it is in a higher register than it usually is. Blue has demonstrated his wide vocal range before but only in brief notes and spells throughout songs. He has never sang a full portion of a track in a higher register until now. In the chorus he sings a lower harmony alongside Ward. Oscar sings the short pre-chorus the first time around and also has the entire bridge to himself. Due to his damaged vocal chords, his notes are less challenging that they used to be but it doesn't take away from the fact that his deep, almost seductive vocals still manage to send chills up and down the listeners spine. Riley only has one line in the song and that is the second pre-chorus. His naturally higher voice had been tamed for his small part so not to overpower and take away from the mellow feel of "The Lucky Ones". However, during the chorus he is the easiest to pick out due to his high harmony. Billy sings the third verse of the song and like always, he adds a lot of soul into the track in comparison to the other members of the group who have slightly more "aggressive", sharper and/or deeper sounding vocals. Those who have managed to listen to the album before its general release have praised Khan for his tremendous growth as a vocalist and is now being dubbed as the strongest performer. He swoons his way through his verse and is also one of the vocalists that stands out most during the chorus, being one of the higher harmonies alongside Hamilton and Wellington and for taking on the backing vocals on his own. Scott does not have a solo vocal part on this track. He does however harmonise with the boys in the chorus of the song. Wellington has the second highest harmony in the group, just below Riley Hamilton, and can be heard if you listen closely and follow his voice. Wellington originally had Oscar's first line but for unknown reasons it was re-recorded, leaving Scott with no solo on the song.

UserPostedImage

We walk around for miles not knowing what to do
But none of that matters, I'm happy just to be with you
We walk around with smiles not caring where we are
But it's alright when we're underneath all the stars

You talk and talk, say the craziest things like you do
Maybe if we play this by the rules will we never lose?
Love stories nowadays tail off around the fifth or sixth page
We don't have to rush, play a game, we shouldn't have to change

Nobody ever said love was easy but I'm hoping that you'll understand

It doesn't always go as planned, bumps in every twisted road
You can't hold on to everyone, angels come and they go
What if, just for once, two people finally got it right?
All of the pieces click together, the story falls into line
You and I, we could be the lucky ones tonight (we could be the lucky ones tonight)
Oh we could be the lucky ones tonight
(we could be the lucky ones)

We took a risk, jumped off our tracks and made a path for ourselves
I wouldn't want to head down this road with anyone else, oh no one else
Stroke of luck, we make it work, having faith in our crazy little ideas
We don't know any of these faces but with you, I still feel safe out here

Nobody ever said love was easy but I won't let it get out of hand

You and I, we could be the lucky ones tonight (we could be the lucky ones tonight)

It might be too much for some to take
It might push them too hard until they break
But just know that throughout it out
I'll be there to catch you if you should fall
Not gonna give it all up after one stupid fight
I feel it in the air, we were made the lucky ones tonight

Can Be Compared To;

Edited by user 28 April 2015 11:08:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 08/04/2015(UTC), erich hess on 08/04/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 08/04/2015(UTC), kandii on 08/04/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/04/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/04/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2015 12:25:00(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Chokehold
Length: 3:33
Written By: D.Blue, S.Wellington

Chokehold is the eight track on Weekend's long awaited sophomore album, "About Time". The song was written by the youngest and eldest members of the pop band, Dustyn Blue and Scott Wellington. Blue holds writing credits on every song from the album to his name while Wellington is credited for co-writing five of the tracks, respectively. The song was written by the pair in their hotel room while in L.A, recording parts of the album with a number of different American producers. At the time, over sixty songs had been written and this track was created purely out of boredom due to a sleepless night and was never intended on being part of the second album. The melody for "Chokehold" was also arranged by Wellington and Blue. Rough acapella versions of the song were recorded on the band's phones like a lot of other songs that were late on coming into the project. After presenting the song to LosOscuros, a pop production duo whom Weekend have worked closely with for three years, the group recorded the song a day before they were due to head back to London. The song was originally intended to have all five members singing the chorus in unison but when the producers heard the very first demo with Dustyn singing the verses and Scott singing the bridge, they stated that Wellington should keep the chorus for himself. Not only is "Chokehold" the song in which Scott gets the most solo time on the album, it's the most that Scott has sang in any Weekend track ever recorded.

The song opens with the playing of an electric guitar backed with a subtle drum machine. The cheery sounding chords, descending each time before restarting and repeating again as it leads us into the song. When the verses kick in, the guitars sounds more aggressive and are aided with some perfectly polished synths to give the rock-pop tune an electro tinge. The powerful vocals of each member are the focal points throughout the song though and despite heavy guitars and pop synths, the instrumentation does not distract. Rather than being overpowering, the arrangement compliments the vocals perfectly. Even when the boys' vocals take a step back like Riley's section of the song, the backing instruments also subside and just a "fluttering" of the chords play as the softer sounding bridge is performed by the members. "Chokehold" tells the story of a girl (or guy) who still tries to hold onto their ex despite being the one to end the relationship. While he or she is "allowed to" move on and see other people, they don't like seeing their ex with someone new and still sees them as "property" even though the relationship ended. The boys compare it to being in a chokehold, finding it hard to escape and feeling as if they are owned, being carried around for whenever they might just be needed.

Dustyn opens up the track with attitude packed vocals, showing off his ability to sound aggressive yet pleasing to ears as he combines his powerful rough vocals with his flawless vibrato. He has always been a confident and competent vocalist but is really going the extra mile on the new album now that his voice has matured and he's gained more control over it. Dustyn also sings the last part of the bridge, taking on the longest and biggest note of the song. He belts out the word "no", showing off the sheer power he holds. Oscar sings the pre-chorus twice, staying in a relatively safe vocal range for his then damaged vocal chords. He will start off every line in a lower register before gradually rising towards the end of it. When it comes to "stuck on just like a leech", he puts a lot more force behind his vocals and it sounds like he's almost chanting rather than singing. Scott surprises listeners and takes on a much larger role, singing the entire chorus by himself. Scott is known for having very soft vocals and also for not really taking on much in the way of solo parts. However, he shocks everyone here by taking out a very loud, chant-like, rock pop chorus all on his own. While there are no high or really challenging notes throughout it, the fact that he is finally projecting his voice and his voice only really makes him the star of the song. Billy takes over with the second verse of the song and rather than sounding sweet and smooth like he usually does, Billy gets a little feisty with his vocals. While it lacks the "growl" of Blue and Ward's, it certainly packs a punch. Infusing his silky tones and Cockney accent into some of the words still gives it that Billy magic though. He also yells out the closing line in true Billy fashion. Riley comes in with the bridge, a much more relaxed portion of the song in comparison to its heavy rock pop sound. Like a lot of his airtime on the album, Riley shows off his higher vocal range but tones it down slightly, singing rather softly to coincide with mellowed electric guitar providing the backing during this section. One criticism though is that he sounds slightly nasal again, reminiscent of his vocals from the first album rather than the matured, more controlled one he has presented on the record until now.

UserPostedImage

You're telling all your friends that I was a big mistake
You call me every nasty word when you're with him at his place
The pair of you share a kiss and then laugh at my expense
Does he know that you call me up when it all gets heated and tense?
So much for ranting and raving about letting me go
You practically packed my bags and through me out of the door

I thought that giving you my all was not enough?
Threw all your gifts at me like they were worthless junk
For someone who couldn't wait to see the back of me
You keep hanging around, stuck on just like a leech

You'd think that by now you would have let me go oh
But you still keep me here inside your chokehold
It's getting harder to breathe, you're taking all my air
But all this time I've never known you to play it fair
If you really want to move on why do you keep me here?
Am I old faithful, a safety blanket that you like to have near?
It's time to cut these ties because this is getting old
I can't keep on living here inside your chokehold

Let me go, go, go, go, go
Let me out of your chokehold

Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Cho-oke ho-o-old
Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Cho-oke ho-o-old
Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Uh oh oh uh oh oh

You can give it all away but I can't dare see someone else?
My arm around them in a picture, suddenly out breaks hell
You want me stuffed in your pocket for your times in need
I'm hell of a sorry but you know that it just can be
So I'm guessing that your future with him is in doubt
Because it's 2 am and you're calling while crying your eyes out

I thought that giving you my all was not enough?
Threw all your gifts at me like they were worthless junk
For someone who couldn't wait to see the back of me
You keep hanging around, stuck on just like a leech

Let me out of your chokehold

Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Cho-oke ho-o-old
Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Cho-oke ho-o-old
Uh oh oh uh oh oh
Uh oh oh uh oh oh

Now you're suggesting that we should get back, well forget that
After everything I've went through, I see that I'm better off alone
Weren't you the one that called it quits and needed "more than this"?
You made up a whole speech on how you could do it all on your own

Took too long to make your mind up but mine is set, you're out of luck
It feels so good to finally tell you nooooooooooo, oh!

I'm finally out of your chokehold!

Can Be Compared To:

UserPostedImage

RoseJapanFan on 30/04/2015(UTC), erich hess on 30/04/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 30/04/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 30/04/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 01/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 01/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2015 17:40:17(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Kai: More like cockhold, Billy you absolute bender ;) Nice track though. I like the fact you manage to sound different to all these other shitheaps in pop, to be honest.

Katie: Whenever I see you guys, you seem to be even more grown up than the last time I saw you. It's so damn cute! I really love the lyrics in this though, it's such a great song. Billy's verse in particular really painted a picture, which I always look for my music to do. So I really did connect with that one. I love when I can envisage a song played out as a movie. It's wonderful when music can do that.

OOC: Wonderful lyrics in here. Loved it :)

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 30/04/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#12 Posted : 02 May 2015 10:30:24(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Hard To Forget
Length: 3:34
Written By: D.Blue, B.Khan, T.Newton

Hard To Forget is the ninth track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore album, "About Time". The song was written by Dustyn Blue who has writing credits on every track, Billy Khan who holds a respectable eight songs on the record to his name and writing friend, Theresa Newton who is exclusively signed to Five Pesky Kids. The song was written by the trio during writing session taking place in Pesky Studios back in late 2013. The song was originally intended to be recorded in the form of a ballad but during the recording process of the album, band member Billy Khan suggested that they "play around" with a few of the mid-tempos and ballads to "inject some life into them" as he believed that the new album was shaping up to become "extremely ballad heavy". A very rough acapalla version of Hard To Forget was brought to LosOscuros (alongside previous track "Chokehold") and the down-tempo number was transformed into a glitzy disco inspired tune, something which the band was divided over. While all five agreed that the version was great, Khan refused to put it on the album as it did not fit in with the rest of the record. Not wanting to abandon the song, Weekend re-recorded and rearranged their vocals to see what else they could come up with to reconstruct and salvage the song. In the end, they believe that they combined the perfect mix of the rock-pop sound of "About Time" with the upbeat, disco-pop throwback influence of the original track to create the final version which appears on the album right now. Oscar Ward has stated that this song is the most difficult to perform for him as a lot of it is sung in a higher falsetto range at a fast pace.

Keeping with the idea of digging through their parents' record collection, "Hard To Forget" follows the same throwback feel like a number of tracks on the record. Rather than taking it back to the swooning style of 1960's (presented to us on "Only Just Begun" and "The Lucky Ones") or delving into the smooth R&B influence of the 1990's ("Back In The Day"), Weekend take us back to the radio-friendly disco years of the 70's and 80's and combine it with their signature style to deliver us yet another finely carved pop gem. The song opens with playful, tinkering synths which immediately tell the listener that the song is going to be like nothing else heard on the record up until this point. While the disco infused instrumentation grabs the listener in, it's the songs underlying heavy bass guitar which is the real star of the production. The song sounds as if it's directly "borrowed" from a handful of songs from that period of music, although no sampling has officially been credited or confirmed. As the boys start to sing, it's the bass guitar that carries them along and provides the platform for their high vocals to flutter over unperturbed by any messy or over the top production. The instrumentation is definitely a highlight of it's own but it's the melody and unison of the five band member's vocals that really take the cake. Lyrically, the song contrasts greatly from previous track Chokehold. This time, the guys are the ones who cannot seem to let go. However, rather than wanting to get back together with their ex and having a possessive and jealous hold on them, they accept that things are over but find it extremely difficult to move on, act as if nothing happened and kick start their single life again as the relationship was all they had known for an extremely long time.

Riley opens up the track which is unsurprising. With disco inspired music being one of his favourite genres and his ability to easily tackles songs with high registers, it's no wonder why he was selected to open it up. He does not sing in high pitched Bee-Gees styled belts but presents himself as rather fragile and hurt while delivering his lines. The higher range is there but it seems as if he's holding back, trying his best to control himself which coincides with the lyrics of the song, especially his opening verse - "It's all becoming too much and I'm going to lose control". When the chorus reaches its peak from the "uh whoa oh oh's" an onwards, Riley can be heard the clearest as he provides the highest harmony. Oscar sings the pre-choruses. He finds it difficult to sing in a higher register, especially during the time of recording so as a result, Ward takes on the lowest parts of the song. Not wanting to rest on his laurels though, Oscar makes sure he deliver his lines with more bite, sounding more assertive than Hamilton. Ward can also be heard towards the end of the chorus alongside Blue, providing low "aah" harmonies. Billy sings the second verse and has been applauded for his performance yet again. His ever growing range, control and connectivity with the songs is certainly present here. Although he refrains from his now signature "belts", Billy still manages to sing his entire verse higher than he usually does and sounds flawless, carrying it with ease. He also provides ad-libs and backing vocals during the chorus and at the tail-end of the song, singing very softly so not to distract from the other four but making sure we still acknowledge him as he does so. Dustyn then comes in with the bridge of the song and as he does, the production takes a back seat so we can focus on Blue's smooth, sincere delivery. He sings in a low, soft tone with his Irish accent even subsided which comes as a surprise. His enunciation is even a lot clearer than usual. Dustyn finishes off his part with a huge, belt easily soaring up the octave scale. Many have said that despite having the biggest range in the group, his enunciation and harsh vocals make his performances a little grating. Here, however, he delivers his lines clearly and rather than a "scratchy" and "throaty" high note that sounds forced, it is powerful and clean sounding. Scott does not have a solo on this track but it's been suggested by Oscar that he may take on his parts during live performances.

UserPostedImage

It feels like I'm underwater, my tiny mind is caving in
It's all becoming too much and I'm going to lose control
The pressure keeps on building and it's the same everyday
I can't hold my head up, always swept away in the undertow
I think back to the beginning and how we used to be
Been ten long months but I just can't seem to let it go

I'm not asking or begging you for one more shot
It's clear that you're happy with what you've got
Just finding it hard even though all is said and done
We're miles apart and I can't believe what we've become

If I should turn my head away and do my best to hide my face
Know that I'm not being rude, it's just hard seeing you again
Try to hide my pain, uh whoa oh oh
Whenever the nights get the cold and I can't call you up
It's yet another reminder of all the things that I've went and lost
And all the ache it's caused uh whoa oh oh
I hope one day I can finally turn that page

(It's just so hard to forget, it's still running around in my head)
I ho-o-ope one day I can finally turn that page
(It's just so hard to forget, can't even force a smile to pretend)

Trying so hard not to notice that soon I'm going to sink
Surviving and putting myself first has never crossed my mind
The final nail's in the coffin, can't kick my feet off to swim
You're heading out to the horizon and I'm wading, left far behind
I shouldn't feel this hopeless but the whirlwind drags me in
Why should I even fight it when I have no more lifelines?

I'm not asking or begging you for one more shot
It's clear that you're happy with what you've got
Just finding it hard even though all is said and done
We're miles apart and I can't believe what we've become

It's just so hard to forget, it's still running around in my head
It's just so hard to forget, can't even force a smile to pretend
'Til death do us part, but it's clear that we've now lost that spark
'Til death do us part, so why do I have to make a brand new start?
One day I hope that I can turn that page, that I can turn that page
That I can...uh whoa oh oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

erich hess on 02/05/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/05/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 02/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 02/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 20/05/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#13 Posted : 03 July 2015 19:31:26(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: About Time
Length: 3:50
Genres: Rock Pop

About Time is the tenth track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore album of the same name. The song is one of three written entirely by youngest member of the band, Dustyn Blue. Not only is he the only member to pen songs entirely by himself on the record but Dustyn is also the only one to have a writing credit on every track. The song was written by Blue at his old London home during some time away from the studio in order to spend time with his sons. During Weekend's time off from recording, Blue penned multiple songs throughout the course of the break as a way of "keeping the creativity flowing". He slowly crafted the melody for each song he had written and recorded them on his laptop with the aid of his guitar before sending the tracks out to the other four members of the band for approval. "About Time" was immediately picked up on, drawing glowing reviews from Khan, Wellington, Hamilton and Ward. After returning to the studio, the song was the first to be recorded by the band who had brought in Julian Bunetta to produce it. Bunetta has worked closely with Weekend throughout the entire recording of the record. Loved by the group for it's lyricism, catchy melody and now for it's "stomping", "pint-lifting" production courtesy of Bunetta, it fast became an all round favourite. The album was eventually titled "About Time", a nod to what they believe is the stand out track on the record and it also serves as a joke, referring to the length of time it has taken for the album to be released.

The song has been described as one of Weekend's career highlights. The lyrics, vocals and production have all received heavy praise from everyone who managed to hear the song before its public debut. "About Time" follows the trend of a heavy rock-pop sound with "full on" vocals which is heard a lot throughout the album. In a deliberate attempt to show off how much their vocals have matured since the last record, the guitar and drum driven backing is turned down throughout the verses while the boys deliver their lines powerfully. Their crisp, clear voices really are the focal point and this is where all the critics will really sit up and pay attention. Throughout the chorus, all five of them come together but rather than harmonising softly, like we've heard on a few songs on the album, it sounds like one big "manly", attitude filled chant which reflects a lot of the lyricism. "About Time" is about finally breaking free from someone who has kept a hold on you for so long and plucking up the courage to move along with your life. Your plans may not be definite and there's no intention of entering a new relationship with someone else but simply cutting off all ties from your ex is the starting point.

Dustyn opens up the song with his famous husky, rich vocals. Right from the start, from Dustyn's throaty delivery alone, it's obvious that this song will take a rather "heavy" and rock tinged route. His vocals seem to blend a mix of harshness along with an oddly sweet texture. Although he has a rather rough voice, he always puts his impressive vibrato to use and his Irish twang and soft pronunciation of certain words help to take the edge off of it as it could be a little overbearing without it. Dustyn also appears again in the second half of the bridge. His section requires a little more emphasise on his projection than Ward's as the instrumentation starts to build back up around that point. As usual, he delivers that section with a lot of power and conviction. Billy takes on the second verse. Unlike Dustyn, his voice is not "rough" at all. Billy has always been noted for having a very soulful tone, one best suited to R&B influenced songs as well as ballads. However, this doesn't stop him from pulling his sections off. Khan is arguably the most powerful vocalist, known for his strong belts and his ability to drift in and out of octaves like nobody's business. While lacking the "rocky" vocals demonstrated by Dustyn, Billy still sings his heart out and impresses with his range. He appears throughout the track, singing softer on the post-chorus but shows off his signature high notes during the last line of the bridge and through the ad-libs in the last chorus. Oscar is first heard in the post-chorus, singing softer in comparison to his usual style. He is at ease here and his deep, husky vocals similar to Blue's do not sound damaged at all. Oscar really comes into play during the bridge, where he gives his best vocal performance on the album so far. We all know that his voice has been strained after fronting Weekend for so long but here, he's letting go, belting out his notes and letting that rich tone speak for itself. His section of the bridge also has little production backing so his voice really stands out. As the chorus is one of Weekend's "lowest" vocally, Ward also stands out among it along with Dustyn. Scott takes on the third verse. Although he's still the weakest on the song, Wellington does surprise with the projection of his voice. He sounds very clear, enunciating well and doing a great job as he tries to perform with the same power and intensity as his fellow members. It can be heard that there are some signs of struggle, trying to reach the higher notes at the end of each line but it's nothing that can't be overlooked. Riley sings the fourth verse, sounding more controlled and powerful than Scott but has a similar tone. This entire section of the song seems "lighter" than the rest as both Wellington and Hamilton have the highest registers of the band and two of the softest voices. Riley delivers his lines with more "bite", however, as he is a much stronger vocalist than Scott. His signature high register can be heard but there's also a slight tinge of aggression in his delivery with deliberate breaks in his voice as he switches things up and tries to work with the powerful, rocky nature of the track.

UserPostedImage

I've packed all of my bags, gonna take a trip
Grab my tickets and then I'm off on the train
Been there once before, this time I mean it
Cutting all cords, I know I won't see you again
Won't feel anything, I won't even flinch
'Cause you were the one who always stood in my way

I'm looking all around, searching high and low
Trying to find all of our good old memories
Won't wrap my arms around them, I'm letting go
Hitting delete, I don't need all that stuff haunting me
Once filled with love, now sucked dry and left hollow
Broke me down and now you care about how I feel?

You come back around just to check in, see how I'm doing
I'm just fine
Now you want to know if I'm lonely, well I got over it
Yeah, I'm alright
We've been so chaotic for years, I've cried all of my tears
Why did you have to come round?
This time, I won't break. I've learned from my mistakes
Try as you might but I don't need you any more, never felt so sure
And it's about time

It's about time, about time, about time, about time
Oh, yeah
About time, about time, about time, about time
Don't try to catch up, I'm going, going gone
And life has never felt so good

And it's about time

Well I will confess, things didn't happen so easily
Stepped into the unknown, couldn't make any room for doubt
I was frightened, so scared of what lay ahead of me
Tried not stress it, eventually I cleared all of the clouds
Took a deep breath in, pen to paper, left a letter to read
I spilled it all, told you about all the things I found out

I used to lie awake when someone else was in your head
Carried the weight around, couldn't lift it from my shoulders
I catch the scent of someone else who was laying in this bed
No matter how sweet you dream, between us keeps getting colder
Is this the real world? Filled with lies and all these regrets?
If I had known this, wouldn't have been in any rush to grow older

You come back around just to check in, see how I'm doing
I'm just fine
Now you want to know if I'm lonely, well I got over it
Yeah, I'm alright
This time, I won't break. I've learned from my mistakes
And it's about time

Oh, yeah

And it's about time

I'm getting on, I won't keep on hanging around
Keep pushing forward, nothing's gonna stop me now
I'm moving on, got my sights set on the light
I'm moving on, got my sights set on the light

Don't need you looming over, no more darkness in my life

I got a good thing going and I'd say that it was about time

You come back around just to check in, see how I'm doing (see how I'm doing!)
I'm just fine
Now you want to know if I'm lonely, well I got over it (you wanna know-oh-oh-oh!)
Yeah, I'm alright
This time, I won't break. I've learned from my mistakes (No, I won't break. No, I won't break. Yeah, yeah, eh)
Try as you might but I don't need you any more, never felt so sure (never felt so sure!)
And it's about time

Oh, yeah

Try as you might but I don't need you any more, never felt so assured
And it's about time

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

Welat65 on 03/07/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 03/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 03/07/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 03/07/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 04/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2015 14:57:36(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Just A Boy
Length: 3:18
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, B.Khan, S.Wellington

Just A Boy is the eleventh track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore album, "About Time". The track was written by four out of five members of the group. Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton, Billy Khan and Scott Wellington all penned the song together during a day of recording at Pesky Studios in London. Weekend knew that most of their songs were about love in one form or another and it's what they're best known for. Wanting to put a new twist on a love song, Blue and Wellington came up with the idea of a "sarcastic" love story, focusing on a seemingly never ending argument. The chorus of the song was written by both Dustyn Blue and Scott Wellington before Hamilton and Khan joined the writing session to complete the rest of the track. That same day, the group returned to the studio to record a very rough version of the song. It had a "raw" and "lively" feel to it, not too dissimilar to the final one we're hearing on the album today. "Just A Boy" would not be properly revisited and worked on until a few months later, when revising all of their material and narrowing down possible song choices for the final tracklist. Production for the final version was again handled by Savan Kotecha who also provided the original demo. The song is noted for being rather different in sound and structure to a lot of other Weekend tracks. The shared chorus between two members is something that's rarely done and also, the frequent use of Scott Wellington's vocals throughout make it rather intriguing as he is well known for being the weakest vocalist and not having much solo time.

The song opens up with a deep, crisp strumming of an electric guitar backed with fast and timed claps. Already, it is shaping up to be one of the most upbeat moments on "About Time". As a slight bass kicks in and brings the song to life, a throwback to the 1960's is inescapable. Many critics have already stated that the new album sounds as if the boys have had a dig through their parents' record collection for inspiration and "Just A Boy" certainly supports that statement. Even member Oscar Ward has said that he's a huge fan of the "summery 60's vibe" showcased on the song. Rather than sounding like a direct rip off of any song you'd hear on the radio way back then, the band have obviously incorporated their signature rock/pop sound to flesh the song out and give it more "meat". It has also been dubbed as the "older brother" of the song "Only Just Begun" which also contains a strong 1960's influence but is more stripped back and the throwback vibe is much more apparent. Lyrically, "Just A Boy" deals with a frustrating relationship and has been called a "sarcastic" love song. At first, the song seems like a dig to the partner and almost like a break-up song. The male in the song is always being patronised and rubbished, receiving the blame for everything despite being the perfect partner. It's all a way of the girlfriend covering up her own flaws and passing it on to someone else. However, the song states that no matter what is said they still love each other and will always find a way back into each other's arms.

Oscar opens up the song in a rather playful manner with "bouncing" vocals, switching between high and low notes rather frequently. He does this with ease and proves yet again why he is such an important part in the Weekend machine. As it's a little higher for him than usual, his vocals here have been compared to the ones on the first record, before his voice really matured. While his voice is still rather husky and deep (and always has been), it is sounding a little higher and sharper like it did back in 2012. Dustyn follows on in a similar style, drifting in and out of all of the notes. The verses can be rather challenging as the notes chop and change several times throughout the one line, giving very little time to catch a breath or even think about the note change. Many note the similarities in Ward and Blue's voices, with only little hints in the delivery to tell us who is actually singing. Dustyn's higher notes are not as sharp and quick as Ward's here. Instead, they sound more "airy" and "breathy", sounding more at ease. Billy comes in leading the chorus and taking the song to new heights. While the previous two members have been changing it up, Khan sweeps everyone away with his belting vocals which seem limitless as he gradually escalates with every single word. Again, he contrasts with the rough vocals of Ward and Blue but the same power and force is still there, if not amplified. While he doesn't have a verse to himself he is the "secret weapon" of the song, unleashing his powerful vocals at crucial parts of the song and picking it up to take it from a "catchy" to "totally infectious". He also sings the last line in a slightly lower tone, sounding more relaxed and finishes it off with a signature vocal run. Scott takes on the middle section of the chorus and has received a mainly positive response. While a lot may argue that his voice sounds a little strained and unnatural to be singing anything this powerful, it cannot be denied that he did a great job keeping up with the sheer vocal force that is Billy Khan. Also, for a naturally soft vocalist like Wellington, singing as high and as strongly as this would prove a difficult task. It shows off that he has a wider range than expected. Scott also sings the bridge. It is more laid back, sounding almost half-spoken and not as demanding as his lines in the chorus. Riley sings the third verse and like Wellington, he also proves a lot more to us. While Hamilton has never been considered a weak vocalist by any means, he demonstrates more vocal talent than witnessed before. His voice sounds rather gruff just like Oscar and Dustyn's and also comes across as rather natural when doing so. It is not a faked voice. The same tone is still there but now he's showing off his lower register, which is something we aren't used to seeing. His low, growling notes have been described as "sexy". Moving from his low notes to his signature higher ones, Riley proves to us that he may be the member with the most expansive vocal range.

UserPostedImage

I'm "just a boy" and that is all that I'll ever be
I will never amount to anything credible, you see?
Been told that I play with hearts like they're paper planes
Of course, I don't think about any of the consequences
All is said and done by the time I finally come to my senses
I'm "just a boy" so it's so much easier to point and blame

Do you really think my heart is never fully in it?
You must be joking, no idea how you could ever think this
Guess all our times, laughs and lazy days in bed were make believe
Hear you out and don't pick on all the things that are wrong
I open my mouth and you walk away, when will I ever get my turn?
Doesn't matter anyway, I know that all you'd do is disagree

And if I leave, you'll still want me, you'll still want me tomorrow
If I stay, I know that I won't hear the end of it until I go

Now tell me who is the one that's playing all the games?
Oh tell me who crushes who just like they're little paper air planes?

It's not right, it's not fair but I forgot that I don't have a say
Because I'm "just a boy", I'm just trouble, you should walk the other way

If I'm "just a boy" then why do you always want stay?

I've never came home with different shades of lipstick on my collar
Shame that the same thing can't be said for a lot of the others
Even your parents seem to trust me a whole lot more than you do
Remind me why you still stick around because I really have no clue
The way you talk about me, seems like you just want to start from scratch
But I'm all you've ever known, you don't want to go doing that

I'm "just a boy", I don't seem to know what I'm doing
I'm "just a boy", oh is that really how you're feeling?
Am I just a toy? Throw me away when you're feeling bored
If I'm "just a boy" then who else is gonna love you more?
Say what you want but I know that you love this boy

I'm "just a boy", oh, oh, oh

Say what you want but I know that you love this boy

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

Welat65 on 04/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 04/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 04/07/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 04/07/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 05/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 05/07/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 06/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2015 15:22:00(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Echo
Length: 3:56

Echo is the twelfth track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore studio album, "About Time". It is the third and final song written entirely by Weekend's youngest member, Dustyn Blue. Unlike the rest of the song the Irish pop star penned, he did not send this one out to the rest of his band via email. Instead, during a get together over lunch which he arranged, Dustyn presented the song to three of his fellow band members while the dined. Billy Khan, Scott Wellington and Oscar Ward were all in attendance as Blue purposely excluded Riley Hamilton. The reason being, this song was actually written about Hamilton as an ode to the star. In 2013, Hamilton had a breakdown and contemplated suicide after months of secretly self harming. The song was written to show how Blue felt about the situation back then while expressing the love and appreciation he has for his band mate today. The song was recorded in secret, without Hamilton, at Pesky Studios in early 2014. The band were apprehensive about Riley's reaction towards the song. When it was finally presented to him after being mixed and mastered, Hamilton was stunned and a little overwhelmed while listening but was, however, extremely happy with the record and highly praised it. Production was handled by Savan Kotecha who has produced several songs on the record. The band have stated that live performances of "Echo" may be very scarce as it is deeply personal. The track was originally intended to be a piano-led ballad, however, Blue and Khan persuaded their team to give the song more "drive" and a "feeling of urgency" to coincide with the themes of fear and worry displayed on the track rather than settling for the "standard down tempo ballad".

As stated earlier, "Echo" is a piano and drum driven ballad as the band wanted to steer clear of extremely down tempo songs. The introduction gives off the impression that it will be a rather slow, piano led swooning ballad but after the first ten seconds of the track, a repetitive beat of a drum and hi-hat come into play alongside Blue's vocals which immediately give the track more life and edge. Although it's a far cry from the heaviest moments on the record, the emotional vocal performance and "lighters in the air" styled production give the song a lot of soul. Lyrically, the song discusses a very personal and traumatic time during Weekend's history. Member Riley Hamilton once entered a state of depression for seemingly unknown reasons at the time. It was discovered that he was secretly self harming for months before finally breaking down in front of his band during a promotional trip to Ireland. It was soon revealed that the cause of Riley's stress was his ability to keep everything bottled up unlike his fellow band members. Not only would he hold onto all of his own personal issues, he'd listen to everyone else's, have to cope with the all the drama that comes with Weekend and work himself endlessly. He would put everyone else before himself and not take his own well being into consideration. The lyrics confess that the band were sometimes guilty of not appreciating just how much Hamilton would do for each member of the band and that they should have also looked out for their "brother" they way he does for them. The main premise of the song though revolves around the scariest moment, when they thought Riley was never going to come out of the other side. They feared that no matter what they said to him, it would just "echo" around and not register.

Dustyn opens up the song and has been heavily praised for his performance. He not only sings the entire first verse but also the whole pre-chorus, making him the lead vocalist on the track. Dustyn sounds extremely fragile and hurt, almost like a broken man singing the song. He sings lightly, with a clear lump in his throat and the sadness cannot be faked. Writing the track himself and for it to be about one of his dearest friends, it is obviously a very personal song to him. His breathy vocals are sometimes interrupted with his usual husky, rich tones as he uses the breaks in his voice to emphasise the feeling of sadness. It's pretty clear that he was nearly in tears during the recording but it has been left in the final version for that raw edge. Oscar takes on the second verse and also sounds rather worried and upset. His voice, however is not as soft as Blue's. In fact, it sounds purposely strained but the effect definitely works. While Dustyn takes in deep breaths and carefully lets his words flow in order to hold back the river, Oscar sounds like he's forcing the words out and doing anything he can to take his mind off of how he's feeling. It's definitely Ward's most emotional vocal performance today. Scott sings the first two lines of the pre-chorus the second time it comes around. Like with many other Weekend songs, he has a very small portion in comparison to other members (excluding Riley on this one). His vocals are back to his usual soft and rather thin sounding ways. In contrast to the other members though, he doesn't sound that out of place as his delivery is very emotional like the rest. Ward and Blue also deliver their lines in an unusually softer way too. Scott has always been praised for his tone and for connecting with all of the lyrics. The raw emotion in his voice cannot go unnoticed. He may not be as vocally solid as the other members but nobody can fault him when it comes to engaging with whatever parts he's been given. Billy takes the song in a different direction, pumping more power into it. He naturally has silky smooth vocals so the element of "softness" is still there but the fragile and worried vocals demonstrated before are gone when it comes around to Billy's bridge. He's in a state of panic and fear, rapidly delivering his dramatic lines in such a way that only Billy can. His lines are filled with power and his famous belts. It is by far the most vocally challenging part of the song and many claim that he steals the show along with Blue. Riley does not have any solo parts on the song. This is due to the fact that the song was secretly written about him and he was not aware of its existence until the final version was delivered to him.

UserPostedImage

Your blank stare just swallows me in, paralysed
You're standing on the edge, in a different state of mind
Put everyone before yourself and didn't have to think twice
Always taken for granted, now is this really the price?
Brother, take my hand, I promise you that there's so much more
Doesn't matter how hard it gets, you're always worth fighting for

I don't want to be remembering all the things you used to be
I'm focusing on right here, right now, that's what matters most
Nothing in this world compares to a minute in your company
We've got to be strong, I want you to hang on
But I'm not even sure I'm getting through to you

I know you're scared, you say that inside you're all broke
Trust me, it's not that easy to see you feeling this way
Tight grips, don't go giving up and losing all the hope
Stood strong like an empire, now it's all slowly crumbling away
Believe when I say that I'm here any time you need a friend
Oh, I just want you to know
Now I'm shaking, you're breaking and I don't think you want to hear
Do all my words just echo and echo?

Had the stars in your eyes but blinded them for someone else
If you could make someone better, you are always happy to help
I know I'm guilty of not making it clear about how I really feel
Guess it's really opened our eyes, one day you might not be here
No longer have to sit in silence, say it loud, say what's on your mind
I'm listening and I always will for you, my brother, I'll make the time

I don't want to be remembering all the things you used to be
I'm focusing on right here, right now, that's what matters most

Nothing in this world compares to a minute in your company
We've got to be strong, I want you to hang on
But I'm not even sure I'm getting through to you

There's flashing lights all around in your head
You kept it bottled up, put on a smile just to pretend
Secretly, you let it all slip and now you've had enough of it
Lost all control and now you say you're down way too far
People only care when it's too late, I'm not letting that happen
Share with me all your fears, I'm here, I'm here

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

Welat65 on 04/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 04/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 04/07/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 04/07/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 05/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 05/07/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 06/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#16 Posted : 05 July 2015 06:07:22(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Heartbreakers
Length: 3:18
Written By: D.Blue, S.Hollywood, B.Khan

Heartbreakers is the thirteenth track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore studio album, "About Time". The song was written by band members, Dustyn Blue and Billy Khan alongside songwriter Sara Hollywood who has an exclusive publishing deal with Five Pesky Kids. The trio have been dubbed by many fans as "the sacred three" as they have written many of Weekend's major hits together, proving to be a highly successful combination. The track was written in the summer of 2013 and is one of the oldest track on the record. It was originally intended for inclusion on the original version of their second album which never materialised. In 2013, the boys released some free downloads but no official single or album. Back in 2013, on the scrapped album, Weekend experimented with a more EDM influenced sound in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. However, after hearing a lot of the material played back, they were not huge fans of it and believed it would also isolate a lot of their fans who grew to love them because of their original rock-pop sound. Not wanting to stray away from their routes any more, Weekend cancelled the album and began working on what has now become "About Time". A stand out track from the 2013 sessions along with "Animal", the band set "Heartbreakers" to one side and vowed to work on it again in the hope that it could be salvaged and reworked. Long time production collaborators, LosOscuros, worked on the track and updated the instrumentation. The boys also re-recorded their vocals at Pesky Studios. Many critics have dubbed this song as "the stand out track" and have praised it's heavy, up-tempo production and commercial appeal. "Heartbreakers" has also been called "a sure-fire hit" and "obvious single choice"

The original version of the track was a heavy EDM number, sounding nothing like any of Weekend's past work. A very low quality, 45 second snippet of the demo leaked online and was posted on Tumblr back in March 2015. However, it has now been taken down. The brand new updated version of the song still contains a nod to the original upbeat nature but now contains that signature Weekend sound, filled with powerful vocals and a heavy use of live instruments. Many have called it "EDM and dub-step tinged" and it's clear where those comments are coming from. Although the song refrains from using any computer generated beats, the band and producers have cleverly arranged the instrumentation in order to sound similar to that of a dub-step track. Using thrashing electric guitars for a colossal build up and booming bass and erratic drumming before everything "drops", they have managed to recreate that sound using live instruments which has been lauded by critics. Opinions have been divided on the lyrical content, although mainly positive, as it strays away from Weekend's "good boy" musical image. The song discusses "stealing" someone else's partner for the night and showing them a good time at a party or night out as their other half seems like he couldn't be any less interested if he tried. With lines like "Stop. Don't look his way because your "Romeo" just let you slip away." and "Bet he thought it was in the bag, until his feet started to drag" it seems as if Weekend have switched for "Mr Nice Guy" to "Mr Steal Yo Girl".

Dustyn opens up the song after the boys harmonise acapella. Being one of the members with a naturally deep singing voice, he was the perfect choice to sing the first verse which is sung over a very deep bass and electric guitar. He glides along with the production, keeping his voice under control to help keep the track sounding "contained" throughout his section. Although, even though can't blast out any major notes it doesn't stop Blue from impressing. His deep, rich vocals sound as if they're "grumbling" and ready to attack at any second. His Irish accent also sounds very prominent here too, especially on the line "You look a little nervous..." . Riley sings the pre-chorus several times throughout the song. Many have called him the "star" of the track. While he may not have the biggest section, he is a staple throughout the track and sings arguably the catchiest part of the song. He stands out for being the only member to fully use a higher register for all of his section. The verses of the song are rather "low" and follow the deep bass of the track but when Riley comes in, he kicks it up a gear. His vocals are crisp, playful and slightly higher. This time, his voice is the thing that's aiding the instrumentation along. Hamilton really sets the song up for its build up and drop, making him a crucial part of the song. Billy then appears on the second verse. Usually noted for his powerful belts and strong performances, Billy sounds a lot more relaxed here and even shows off his lower register. Granted, he cannot go as low as Dustyn but he certainly impresses and shows that he's capable of more than just those impression runs. he still manages to keep his silky smooth tone throughout and now matter how low he goes, Billy always manages to caress the ears with his beautiful delivery. He also returns on the second pre-chorus, echoing some of Riley's lines in a more powerful manner while putting his vibrato abilities to good use. Billy also does one of his signature high notes at the end of Oscar's bridge. Rather than a huge belt though, he explores his higher regions with an airy, relaxed delivery. Oscar shows off his "wild" vocals in the bridge, definitely having fun during his performance. He sings in a carefree manner with loud, "punchy" vocals with deliberate breaks in his voice at times. During Ward's section of the song, the heavy backing has subsided so his voice has to be the thing keeping people hooked and "hyped" for the song to escalate again. As the song's story is set at a club, it sounds as though Oscar is actually picturing himself at one, totally letting go and letting his voice flow freely and just going with whatever notes happen to come out. He appears again towards the end of the song, taking the middle section of the outro. His voice is more controlled there and sounds similar to Dustyn's as they're both using their lower registers. Scott does not have a solo section in this song. However, as the chorus of the song requires them to harmonise together and blend all of their different tones, experts of the band will be able to follow Scott's lines. He provides the second highest harmony, below Riley and just slightly above Billy.

UserPostedImage

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

You've got your back up against the wall, just dying to be rescued
Never love anyway that won't do you right, it's always got to feel good
You look a little nervous, tell me what's the worst that can happen?
There's no need to worry, rules don't apply when we're just dancing
And if the person you came with has got nothing else to say
I think you should come on over, tell them get out of your way

Stop. Don't look his way because your "Romeo" just let you slip away.
So, stop. Now we're face to face, do you wanna play a little game of heartbreak?

There's no point in hanging around, come over and put your best foot down
Oh, don't you want to come and dance with some danger?
Bet he thought it was in the bag, until his feet started to drag
Under the strobe light, we can be perfect strangers
He didn't have much to say, that's too bad, guess I'll take his place
Tonight I think we're gonna be silly little heartbreakers

Oooooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Oooooh, ooh, ooh

Just tell him that he's so damn boring, never let him bring you down
No longer have to sit with him in the shadows, tonight you're stepping out
He can keep his seat and lukewarm beer, let him do what he wants to do
Think that it's about time you take a chance and try something new
I could give you a little taste but I know you'd want so much more
He can try his best to save the day but he's always coming up short

Stop. (Oh, stop!) Don't look his way (Don't look his way) because your "Romeo" just let you slip away.
So, stop. Now we're face to face, do you wanna play a little game of heartbreak?

Oooooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Oooooh, ooh, ooh

This is what will happen if you don't pay them attention
All the money in the world cannot buy any affection
No, I'm not going home, we're swept away with the beat
Tell him to call a cab because tonight I'm giving you what you need
(what you need, hey!)

Stop. Don't look his way because your "Romeo" just let you slip away.

We're heartbreakers tonight. Heartbreakers tonight.
Boys will be boys for life. Heartbreakers tonight.

You're sitting pretty tonight. Sitting pretty tonight.
Boys like the girls, that's life. Sitting pretty tonight.

Heartbreakers tonight. Heartbreakers tonight.
Boys will be boys. Boys will be boys. Boys will be boys.

Hey!

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 05 July 2015 20:50:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 05/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 05/07/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 05/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 05/07/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 06/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#17 Posted : 06 July 2015 04:00:35(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
Title: Drift
Length: 3:20
Written By: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, S.Wellington

Drift is the fourteenth track on Weekend's long-awaited sophomore studio album, "About Time". The song was written by band members Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton and Scott Wellington. Both Hamilton and Wellington have shown a dramatic increase in lyrical input throughout the record while Blue still currently holds his position as the main songwriter of the band. "Drift" was one of the last tracks to be written, recorded and put forward for the album, being worked on in early 2014. It is also the newest song to actually make the final tracklist. The song was recorded at Pesky Studios in London during the spring of 2014. A looped instrumentation of a guitar melody was provided by Blue which they used to record the first demo over. The original version did not have Khan taking on two of the choruses by himself nor was the second verse, sang by Dustyn, included. The song was written in Riley Hamilton's living room as he, Blue and Wellington decided to hang out and spend the night. Khan and Ward were not present as they had other personal issues to attend to. A song writing session was not even planned that evening. Instead, it came out of a conversation started by Blue where he expressed how good it felt to be finally moving along with his life, the band and recording the new album after a very turbulent 18 months beforehand. Wellington also remarked that he was tired of the stigma surrounding the band that some people refuse to shake off and only chose to read into the negativity. Extremely proud of the song and being one of their most personal to date, Weekend offered it as a free download for fans shortly after the release of the lead single "How It Ends". This made it the second studio produced track from the "About Time" era that fans heard as it surfaced online a few months before the second single, "Back In The Day".

The track has been described as one of the most mellow moments on the album. It starts off with the repetitive yet inoffensive strumming of a guitar which loops throughout the song and is heavily prominent in the first two choruses, the bridge and as the song fades out. Heavier bass drums come along as the song builds up but they do not overpower or take away the feeling of escapism and tranquillity displayed in the track. This was one of the last songs to be added to the record as it was written after a tumultuous time in Weekend's history. The lyrics speak of moving on to better things, leaving the past behind and no longer wanting to be defined by who they used to be and all of the things they did. The main inspiration for this song was youngest member, Dustyn Blue's cocaine addiction which he has now thankfully kicked. Blue grew tired of being seen as nothing more than an addict and was upset that people couldn't see past the headlines and recognise his talents or the person he really is at heart. Many other Weekend members have encountered controversy too during their time in the spotlight. Many of the stories have been exaggerated and for a long time, the band felt as if they were judged and labelled. It was also one of the reasons for their lengthy break from releasing material in 2013. They wanted to revitalise themselves, let the negative comments subside and come back with a well crafted record to show them that their music is the most important thing of all.

Riley opens up the track after the looping introduction plays. He has proved that he can do a lot with his voice on this record. From showing off his higher register which could give the Bee Gees a run for their money to a giving "sexy" deep snarl over a heavy rock bass line, Hamilton is definitely an overlooked performer. Here, he shows off yet another technique. His performance here has been described as "chilling" and "ethereal" sounding very light and fragile. Riley carefully enunciates all of his words, laying emphasise on certain ones at the right time. The images of a choirboy singing by candlelight come to mind as his clear, emotive delivery sweeps everyone away. Dustyn comes with the second verse and the pre-chorus, contrasting greatly from Riley's performance. The song started off as very soft and slightly haunting but by the time Dustyn comes in, things start to pick up and the song begins to flesh out. For the second verse, the instrumentation remains the same however Dustyn's "fuller" vocals give it more of a kick. While Riley was treading carefully and slowly easing us in, Blue comes at us from seemingly nowhere and bites down with his "harsh" vocals. It is not overbearing or grating but his raspy vocals are not as easy on the ears as Hamilton's which is all carefully planned out to coincide with the increasing urgency of the track. Billy takes on the third verse of the song and also sings the chorus twice, becoming a key part of the song. He sings in a similarly "soft" style like Hamilton's only not as delicately. By the time it comes around to Billy's part, the song has already kicked off and we're more or less at the heart of it so there's no need to slowly draw us in like Riley. His vibrato and vocal runs add more power to his verse than previous ones. As his verse starts, the bass becomes heavier which he helps carry along and forces him to sing more powerfully so that it doesn't drown him out. Billy's choruses are delivered with the exact same melody and notes as before, only far more serene due to his silky smooth tones. His performance still has a lot of vigour but the perfect timbre to help us all "drift" along as he glides us throught the song. Oscar sings the pre-chorus the second time around. Like Dustyn, he stands out for being a lot harsher than the previous vocalist (this time, Khan) and helps emphasise the growing extremity of the production and lyrical content. Being one of the last songs to make the record, this track was recorded in 2014 when Ward's voice was at its most damaged. Fortunately his natural voice is rather gravelly but on "Drift" it is apparent where some of the deterioration lays. He can certainly keep up with the "growling" like usual but it sounds rather airy and timid in comparison to a lot of his other vocal outputs on the record. It's almost as if he's worried about straining it even more and gives a rather reserved performance. Scott takes the bridge which is the least challenging of the track. It is just him singing softly over the repetitive strumming of a guitar with no strenuous notes whatsoever. This allows him to do what he does best and just let his soft, sweet voice flow without having to fight over anything to be heard or being forced to step out of his comfort zone. Although he has a handful of impressive moments on the album, this simple performance possibly outshines them all just for how relaxed and confident he sounds when singing.

UserPostedImage

The wind is so icy and the weapons are made to cut so deep
But this skin is thick, don't you worry, I won't be losing sleep
I was once face down on the ground because I dared to dream
I've learned to fly, fly so high, I've got new places I need to be

I've had one too many darkest hours
Had to smile through the pain, when I was low on power
As the clock was ticking on, I had no idea what was gonna be
I searched high and low, looking for a new life to lead

But times have changed, I took the leap of faith
Survived the jump, landed feet first into a better place
Out of breath, out my depth, I wondered right into the unknown
Left my past behind, I left everything else in tow

As I look into my rear view, I can see it all drifting away
I'm forgetting all about yesterday, I am only living for today
I won't be caught up in, caught up in, caught up in the rain
I won't be making the same mistakes again
Won't wait on a miracle, I won't be wishing my whole life away
I am standing right here right now, it's time to go and seize the day
As I look into my rear view, I can see it all drifting away, away, away

Here I go again looking for something they don't want me to find
I can be kicked down, torn to pieces but I'm more than ready to fight
I won't be branded, won't be confined, don't try to stick on a label
Think you know me based on my past, then you clearly don't know me at all

'Cause times have changed, I took the leap of faith
Out of breath, out my depth, I wondered right into the unknown
Left my past behind, I left everything else in tow

The times have changed, I took the leap of faith

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 6 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 06/07/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 06/07/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 06/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#18 Posted : 06 July 2015 09:00:32(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Title: How It Ends
Length: 3:59
Genre: Rock Pop
Written By: D.Blue, B.Khan, S.Wellington
Produced By: run

Background
"How It Ends" is a rock/pop ballad performed by Weekend and written by members; Dustyn Blue, Billy Khan and Scott Wellington. The ballad is the lead single from Weekend's upcoming sophomore album. It is rumoured that the original title of the album, 'Wild Young Free' will undergo a change. Weekend postponed the release of their second studio album as they decided to take some time out to focus on their family lives. During their time away from the forefront, a promotional single titled Out Of My Mind was released in summer 2013. Since How It Ends serves as the lead single, the promotional track Out Of My Mind will not appear on the album. How It Ends was written in late 2013 and was produced by English trio, run.

The song is about having a great relationship with a female friend but after years of being close, you find yourself wanting more. The female in the song is already involved with another guy but it's made clear that things are rocky between them as she constantly turns to her male friend for comfort. The boys take on the role as this friend. Seeing how unhappy she is at times, having strong feelings for her and already having a strong bond, they decided to tell the truth and confess their feelings. While the girl rejects the offer, she states that they can still remain good friends but the boys have their doubts. Confessing something on this scale is bound to change things and while they can both go on pretending that nothing happened, at the end of the day they both know that they see one another differently. People have branded the song as "the friend zone anthem" and it has also been praised for being the most "mature" sounding song to be released by the group.

Vocals
Oscar - Oscar is featured prominently throughout the track just like the majority of Weekend's songs. He opens up the track, singing the first verse in his deep, husky vocals. While Oscar's voice is known for being very strong and powerful, in the first verse he sounds rather fragile and hurt. His tender voice has a slight edge to it due to his throaty vocals. While all of the boys sing in the chorus, Oscar's (alongside Riley's) vocals are easier to pinpoint. In the chorus, we can hear the real power in his vocals and it contrasts greatly with the softness in his first verse.

Dustyn - Dustyn follows on from Oscar, taking on the second verse. His voice is similar to Oscar's as they are both deep and throaty however, Blue's vocals are richer and his Irish twang can be heard throughout. Despite having similar tones with Oscar, nobody can mistake the unique vocals of Dustyn Blue. Many people have stated that his voice has matured greatly since the first record and while some adore his bluesy, husky voice, a lot of people find that it grates on the ears. However, he tones it down on this track and keeps the vocal acrobatics to a minimum.

Billy - Billy is also prominent on the new single. His silky voice may not be as strong as that of Ward and Blue but many have dubbed him as Weekend's secret weapon and that he "sprinkles sugar over the songs". The song starts off with two very deep, gruff vocals but as it approaches the pre-chorus, Billy comes along with his smooth, dreamy voice and caresses the listener's ears. He also takes on the bridge in the song which, apart from the chorus, is the most vocally challenging part of the song, involving a lot of belting. Billy's voice has really grown from the first album as he can now take on a lot more challenging notes and features in songs a lot more than he used to.

Riley - Riley takes the third verse of the song and like the first two, he sings as though he is in a very fragile state of mind and is close to tears. His voice is naturally higher than the others so when his verse comes around, it is an octave above the previous two. Many have said his voice rather nasally and too high pitched but here, although still higher than the other boys, he still manages to tone it down and sound hurt while delivering his lines. Also, in the chorus, his vocals can be easy to pinpoint as he does the high harmony throughout.

Scott - Scott has always been dubbed as the least vocally talented and while his voice may be thin, Scott has a lovely tone and knows his limits vocally. His voice is naturally soft sounding and he sings in a higher register like Riley although having a smaller range. On the first record, Scott received the least solos which was possibly due to his voice not being as strong as the others. Despite his vocals becoming slightly stronger, he still sings less than the others on "How It Ends", having only two lines.

UserPostedImage

I'm over here. I'm over here, why can't you see me?
I'm calling out. I'm calling out, why can't you hear me?
I've watched him break your heart
I've picked up the pieces each and every time
How could you say he loves you better than I can?

Do you know how I feel? How I feel when you turn away
Let it all out. When you let it all go, I'm your shoulder to cry on
You say you want someone just like me
Someone you can turn to no matter where or when
I'm standing right here yet you look right through me

He can never love you like I do, hold you like I do
When all goes wrong who is the one you run to?

You say that we should just stay friends
But we both know how that story ends
We could try to carry on and play pretend
But things will never be the same again
I poured my heart out now I don't know what to do
The silence is deafening, guess it was the wrong move
I could lie, smile and say I'm happy just being your friend
But as time goes on, we both know how it ends

I see you with him. I see you slow dancing under moonlight.
I'm in the corner. Back against the wall, still I'm glad to see you smile.
While he gets to be the one who takes you home
I'll be the one who is still dancing all alone
Do you know the way it feels when I see you leave in his arms?

He will never understand like me, bet he can't even kiss like me
I'm so wrapped up, I've fallen in too deep

Many times before I couldn't find the words to say
But now here I am, I want you to stay
Stay the night inside my arms
You say that a real man is hard to find
But I think I've proved myself over all this time
One chance, we can change how the story goes

Can Be Compared To;
UserPostedImage

thanks 6 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Welat65 on 06/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 06/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 07/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 09/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 13/07/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#19 Posted : 09 July 2015 22:41:16(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18006 time(s) in 10470 post(s)
Erica:wow....this is like stealing grandma's handbag. You never know what you're going to pull out of it. If pink Floyd were a group of good looking young and didn't suck....they would be weekend. The only acceptable male pop group to love.

Ooc: honor reminded me that I mentally replied here. What a sprawling epic.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 10/07/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#20 Posted : 12 July 2015 05:52:13(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Ooc: I know how much blood, sweat and tears you put into this epic thread of an album lol and I've got to say it definitely paid off. Weekend have been waiting a long time for this, and this definitely does them justice. Your detail in every song's description, the thought you clearly put into every theme and Rp and your lyrics are really top class, as they always are. I like your songs that have a bit of a step away from the "ordinary" in pop, like Just a Boy, and I really enjoyed the concept of the song Animal and the whole passion of falling in love, really descriptive and that. Great album, and it was well worth all the time you spent on it, I know Weekend are your babies, and you've done something awesome with them here :) it's a shame it's not getting the attention it really does deserve though :/

Katie: Weekend...Wtf bros? I thought we were in this together as people who had a legendary debut and no follow up? :( now I'm gonna have to take my finger out and get to work again D: I'm jk, I'm so proud of you guys, and this album shows wonderful progression you've gone through as both people and as artists. It's such a great thing to see in young stars such as yourself and it really shines through in your songs, both thematically and lyrically. Your songs on this album are beautiful from start to finish. Congrats on a fantastic album guys :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 12/07/2015(UTC)