logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Nimrods  
#41 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:02:43(UTC)
The Nimrods

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Being on a minor label sucks. TRUST ME I know, i was signed to one! You hardly get time to record or anything. Well it depend on the label too......

You were on a crappy label.Most metal labels are indie and are fine.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#42 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:04:58(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Being on a minor label sucks. TRUST ME I know, i was signed to one! You hardly get time to record or anything. Well it depend on the label too......

If you have a band, then it's much better of course. Having a band is always the best thing since you have more than one income. However if you're solo, it's hard. I never had a band and it always recommended to me but I could never find anyone. But you're right though.
Offline Thorgrim  
#43 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:05:02(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

The Nimrods wrote:
Thorgrim wrote:
I have an unhealthy, pathological hatred of that band. I can't even explain it. Besides, Joey Jordison is a pretty good drummer, but SLIPKNOT are still utter dogshit, so honestly, I don't even care if the individual musicians are any good.

Oh no Creed sucks I like 1 song by them, secretly.I like Slipknot's first 2 albums.They get a lot more shit than they deserve.Jordison actually isn't that great.He's ok.I heard him blast on the roadrunner united CD and it was horrible, he couldn't keep time and all you heard was the bass drum.

I saw a video of him doing a drum solo a while ago, and it was pretty darn good. I'd never call him one of the greats, but he's not bad at all.
Offline Thorgrim  
#44 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:06:56(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:

As long as the label pays for the recording and we get at least some royalties, it's all good with me.
Offline The Nimrods  
#45 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:08:17(UTC)
The Nimrods

Thorgrim wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
Thorgrim wrote:
I have an unhealthy, pathological hatred of that band. I can't even explain it. Besides, Joey Jordison is a pretty good drummer, but SLIPKNOT are still utter dogshit, so honestly, I don't even care if the individual musicians are any good.

Oh no Creed sucks I like 1 song by them, secretly.I like Slipknot's first 2 albums.They get a lot more shit than they deserve.Jordison actually isn't that great.He's ok.I heard him blast on the roadrunner united CD and it was horrible, he couldn't keep time and all you heard was the bass drum.

I saw a video of him doing a drum solo a while ago, and it was pretty darn good. I'd never call him one of the greats, but he's not bad at all.

He's a decent drum soloist but a lot is just fast playing and fills, you should see one of Tomas Haake's solos they're actually structured.As a drummer in general he isn't too great.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#46 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:10:16(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Thorgrim wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

As long as the label pays for the recording and we get at least some royalties, it's all good with me.

I guess it just depends on the label and the contract. However from what I experienced and from what I've heard form other people. When you're in a minor one most of them wont pay you're fees or rent. However what they will do is provide you with the engineers for free. I got dropped and was never even given time int he studio though and that's what kind of threw me off with minor labels.
Offline forkboy  
#47 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:10:21(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

If you have a band, then it's much better of course. Having a band is always the best thing since you have more than one income. However if you're solo, it's hard. I never had a band and it always recommended to me but I could never find anyone. But you're right though.

Prblem is that the metal and pop worlds are quite different, I mean a lot of metal labels are started up either by fans in their own homes, or else by members of bands (like Mike Patton's Ipecac, Lee Dorrian's Rise Above, Aaron Turner's Hydrahead, Stephen O'Malley's Southern Lord, etc), there's not so many people who are in it with the sole interest of making money. Which isn't to say they don't want to make money, but generally they are also in it for artistic reasons, for wanting to help bands they just like and so forth.

But then being in a metal band and expecting to make any money is pretty naive really, if not downright insane!
Offline The Nimrods  
#48 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:11:51(UTC)
The Nimrods

forkboy wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Prblem is that the metal and pop worlds are quite different, I mean a lot of metal labels are started up either by fans in their own homes, or else by members of bands (like Mike Patton's Ipecac, Lee Dorrian's Rise Above, Aaron Turner's Hydrahead, Stephen O'Malley's Southern Lord, etc), there's not so many people who are in it with the sole interest of making money. Which isn't to say they don't want to make money, but generally they are also in it for artistic reasons, for wanting to help bands they just like and so forth.

But then being in a metal band and expecting to make any money is pretty naive really, if not downright insane!

Very true.I'm probably going to end up taking Music Business as a minor just so that at least I'd be useful at a desk job probably making decent money.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#49 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:14:02(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

forkboy wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

I'm actually not in it for the money but to make my kind music you need money. Which is what i guess you're trying to say, right? That's why if you have a band already then the cost will run lower because you already have the instruments to make the music, you don't need the expensive computer.
Offline The Nimrods  
#50 Posted : 27 April 2010 11:20:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
forkboy wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

I'm actually not in it for the money but to make my kind music you need money. Which is what i guess you're trying to say, right? That's why if you have a band already then the cost will run lower because you already have the instruments to make the music, you don't need the expensive computer.

No he's saying in the pop world everyone is pretty much a corporate douchebags who wants money because pop=popular and so they're trying to get money, even if they like it.However you don't make much with metal so it doesn't matter and the people are better.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Mt. Epic  
#51 Posted : 27 April 2010 12:26:24(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
srsly, why are we talking about indie labels in a thread about becoming a teacher?
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline troy211619  
#52 Posted : 27 April 2010 12:34:39(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
srsly, why are we talking about indie labels in a thread about becoming a teacher?

Well I'm learning somethin here... the pros and cons of signing to indie labels, the difference of metal and pop labels, blah blah blah...
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#53 Posted : 28 April 2010 14:58:10(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
troy211619 wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

Well I'm learning somethin here... the pros and cons of signing to indie labels, the difference of metal and pop labels, blah blah blah...

oh ho ho, that's nice. By learning something completely irrelevant to the original topic, you begin to experience what the conversation at the beginning was meant to be about, education. lol
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Gildermershina  
#54 Posted : 29 April 2010 03:30:19(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
Thorgrim wrote:

I highly doubt the veracity of your statement that he couldn't keep time (especially given the nature of the recording that roadrunner united CD) and the bass drum thing is more of a mix issue than a playing issue.

As for Slipknot in general, I honestly genuinely enjoy the self-titled, even to this day. It's got a schizophrenic energy that kind of reminds me more of hardcore punk. The thing with that band though is that I was probably 13 when that album came out, and everything I wanted them to do they did on that album, so I couldn't really follow where they went beyond that point. Especially when it got all slick and grammy-winning.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage