logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

420 Pages«<230231232233234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#4621 Posted : 21 July 2010 10:19:42(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
You're not exactly "saving lives". Even if you don't eat a chicken, the chicken will still be killed for someone else to eat.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#4622 Posted : 21 July 2010 10:25:19(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
You're not exactly "saving lives". Even if you don't eat a chicken, the chicken will still be killed for someone else to eat.

And if they still kill the chicken and you dont eat it...then it goes to waste. So far from saving a life you are actually wasting a life...Shame on you
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#4623 Posted : 21 July 2010 10:40:23(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:

Well, indirectly you are, because there will be slightly less piece of meat sold and so slightly lower demand for dead animals and so in the future less animals SHOULD be slaughtered.

But honestly as a veggie I don't think the rest of the world should copy me, I just want to see animals treated with some degree of fucking compassion. less of the battery farming, less of the feeding sheep minced up dead sheep (they are herbivores man), and an outright ban on barbaric Halal meat. If muslims won't eat meat unless its prepared in a horrific manner then fuck 'em, they can become vegetarians.
Offline tension101  
#4624 Posted : 21 July 2010 11:14:29(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:

Yes, but by eating said chicken you are promoting the murder of it. While your statement is true, you wont be murdering it. Plus, being vegetarian does save lives. Just ask any vegetarian.
Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline The Nimrods  
#4625 Posted : 21 July 2010 11:31:20(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Well, indirectly you are, because there will be slightly less piece of meat sold and so slightly lower demand for dead animals and so in the future less animals SHOULD be slaughtered.

But honestly as a veggie I don't think the rest of the world should copy me, I just want to see animals treated with some degree of fucking compassion. less of the battery farming, less of the feeding sheep minced up dead sheep (they are herbivores man), and an outright ban on barbaric Halal meat. If muslims won't eat meat unless its prepared in a horrific manner then fuck 'em, they can become vegetarians.

My friend told me how Halal meat is prepared, he's been to the process before. He said they instantly just slit the animal's throat so that it dies but blood still leaves it's body and at the moment of the cut mention Allah's name. How is that brutal?
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Gildermershina  
#4626 Posted : 21 July 2010 20:28:49(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

forkboy wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Yes but the demand for meat is not changed in any significant way by one person turning vegetarian.

tension101 wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Yes, but by eating said chicken you are promoting the murder of it. While your statement is true, you wont be murdering it. Plus, being vegetarian does save lives. Just ask any vegetarian.

Being a Scientologist saves lives. Just ask any Scientologist.

Seriously though, I'm not anti-vegetarian. I'm anti-vegetarian-self-righteousness. The health benefits of being vegetarian are offset by dietary complications from not eating meat. The ethics of meat production are always an issue certainly, but what about the ethics of vegetable and grain farming? The damage to the ecosystem? How many field mice get chewed up in combine harvesters? Seems like unless you are a subsistence-level farmer or live in a commune, you're not really in a position to preach about the ethics of food production.
Offline forkboy  
#4627 Posted : 21 July 2010 22:41:56(UTC)
forkboy

Gildermershina wrote:
forkboy wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Yes but the demand for meat is not changed in any significant way by one person turning vegetarian.

I agree sir. However, one person is as good a place to start as any.

Gildermershina wrote:
tension101 wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Being a Scientologist saves lives. Just ask any Scientologist.

Seriously though, I'm not anti-vegetarian. I'm anti-vegetarian-self-righteousness. The health benefits of being vegetarian are offset by dietary complications from not eating meat. The ethics of meat production are always an issue certainly, but what about the ethics of vegetable and grain farming? The damage to the ecosystem? How many field mice get chewed up in combine harvesters? Seems like unless you are a subsistence-level farmer or live in a commune, you're not really in a position to preach about the ethics of food production.

Don't neccessarily agree with this. Well the first part certainly, the dietary issues, less protein and so forth, which is where Quorn and other meat substitutes made of fungus come in. There's other examples that I can't think of because it's been years since I was in an HE class and honestly, didn't really pay that much attention.

Is the harvesting of vegetables perfect? No. But I'm sure you'd agree that there is no black and white in ethics, it's that ol' pesky "shades of grey" thing. And I'd say that on the whole the production of vegetables and fruit is more ethical than the average production of meat. Yes, there's plenty isues in vegetables from GM to overfarming, to your emotive example of poor ickle field mice get harvested which I'd never considered before but I'm sure it happens. But that compared to the conditions of your average slaughterhouse? Yeah, I know which one is MORE ethical, on the whole.
Offline Captain Insano  
#4628 Posted : 22 July 2010 00:02:54(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
As far as this meat vs vegeterian shit goes, all I know is...
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#4629 Posted : 22 July 2010 03:06:13(UTC)
forkboy

The Nimrods wrote:

My friend told me how Halal meat is prepared, he's been to the process before. He said they instantly just slit the animal's throat so that it dies but blood still leaves it's body and at the moment of the cut mention Allah's name. How is that brutal?

Take it your pal is a muslim? Really, they are the only people I can imagine justifying such unneccessary barbarism.

http://www.guardian.co.u...03/may/15/religion.world
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2977086.stm

Two minutes for the animal to bleed out. Sorry but you don't die instantly when your throat is cut. It takes a while for your brain to be deprieved of oxygen, and all that time you are still feeling.
Offline asdf  
#4630 Posted : 22 July 2010 05:48:57(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Animals were put here to accompany man and to work as our food. Says so in The Bible and being a Christian, I eat meat.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Gildermershina  
#4631 Posted : 22 July 2010 09:11:10(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

asdf wrote:
Animals were put here to accompany man and to work as our food. Says so in The Bible and being a Christian, I eat meat.

It also says God made animals and THEN man. And THEN animals. Again. And the eating meat thing didn't happen till after the flood I'm pretty sure.

Oh, and it also says you can't eat shellfish. And pork. Also horses and mice and cats and dogs and stuff. Also, you're not allowed to eat the blood or fat of any meat.

It's all in the Bible.
Offline forkboy  
#4632 Posted : 22 July 2010 09:31:58(UTC)
forkboy

Yeah, I mean if you use the bible as your justification for eating meat then boy do I hope you stone blasphemers and all the rest of the crazy shit you find in the first 4 books of the Old Testament.
Offline Gildermershina  
#4633 Posted : 22 July 2010 09:47:38(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

So I got a cheap classical guitar a couple of days ago, and I am playing it a lot, and man, it's weird playing nylon strings. And the fretboard is crazy wide so the string spacing is much larger. Still, fun. Learning more from playing this in two days than I have with my electric for years.
Offline tension101  
#4634 Posted : 22 July 2010 12:10:13(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My dad is finally learning how to use a computer. Oh, joy.
Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline asdf  
#4635 Posted : 22 July 2010 14:41:40(UTC)
asdf

Man

forkboy wrote:
Yeah, I mean if you use the bible as your justification for eating meat then boy do I hope you stone blasphemers and all the rest of the crazy shit you find in the first 4 books of the Old Testament.

That stuffs metaphorical, not literal.

Offline Captain Insano  
#4636 Posted : 22 July 2010 19:42:25(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
So your supposed to verbally 'stone' them?
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline asdf  
#4637 Posted : 22 July 2010 19:59:14(UTC)
asdf

Man

Haha, very funny.

No.

Offline Gildermershina  
#4638 Posted : 22 July 2010 20:48:14(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

asdf wrote:
forkboy wrote:

That stuffs metaphorical, not literal.

Says who? Because plenty of people believe it's literal. What's the metaphor in not eating unclean meat or sleeping next to a woman on her period?
Offline asdf  
#4639 Posted : 22 July 2010 20:50:51(UTC)
asdf

Man

How should I know?

The people who take it literally are just effing nuts, Im not going to lie.

Offline Thorgrim  
#4640 Posted : 23 July 2010 01:37:05(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Gildermershina wrote:
asdf wrote:

It also says God made animals and THEN man. And THEN animals. Again. And the eating meat thing didn't happen till after the flood I'm pretty sure.

Oh, and it also says you can't eat shellfish. And pork. Also horses and mice and cats and dogs and stuff. Also, you're not allowed to eat the blood or fat of any meat.

It's all in the Bible.

That's what the Old Testament says. In the NT Jesus declares all food to be clean (Mark 7:19). Not that I follow the Bible word for word, but just sayin'.

Biblical literalism is absolutely retarded. The same goes for premillennial dispensationalism. Fuckin' protestants...