logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2009 03:17:35(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Do people appreciate music? Live performances? Is youtube the blame? Is I-tunes (Amazon and other) the blame?
Are award shows the blame?

I'm so sick of this "Singles' era.

Edited by user 12 December 2009 03:19:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TheCDs  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2009 04:13:55(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Do people appreciate music? Live performances? Is youtube the blame? Is I-tunes (Amazon and other) the blame?
Are award shows the blame?

I'm so sick of this "Singles' era.

We had a similar discussion awhile back. The consensus (at least among Gildy and myself) was that the problem is rooted in how people listen to music. Anymore music is a background activity. You listen while you drive, while you are walking to class, while taking a jog, while cleaning house, or while doing any other task. No one really takes the time (or perhaps has the time) to sit down in a chair for an hour and listen to an album from start to finish, they want to listen to a sampling of all of their favorite catchy tunes. Since people don't want the album to be a journey, a story, or even feel cohesive mainstream albums are filled with 12-15 similar sounding tracks with no real flow or thought given to their order. I have not looked up the information , but I imagine sales of the single on iTunes exceed sales of the album from which the single was taken.

The internet era has changed the way the people listen to and interact with music, no question. In the days before widespread internet file sharing or legal online music purchasing options you could not go out and buy a single track. You could still buy singles but they came with original b-sides, demos, live tracks, or something else extra. Now the discovery of album tracks is almost non-existent in mainstream music. You can just buy the song you want and leave the rest, or in the worst cases, the entire album is composed of singles (some albums get 5-6 singles, or half of the album).

The most damaging thing is the lost art of making compelling albums. I hold two beliefs about any album:

(1) Albums should be heard in their entirety from start to finish. The track order is as important as the music that was selected to appear on the album. An album is like a story, there is a kind of narrative arc it follows, and that arc is set by the track order. There is some sort of response, (emotional, reflective, thought-provoking) that the artist wants to illicit from you and to best get that response you must listen to the album in order from start to finish.

(2) Albums need a maturation period. I have always felt you cannot truly understand or appreciate an album on your first listen through. There are subtleties and secrets that take multiple listens to pick up. I have had albums that I thought I loved fade after multiple listens and have had others that I could not stand grow on me. It is true you need to make a good first impression, but it isn't impossible to change someone's mind if you screw up that first impression.

With the state of mainstream music the actual construction of the album is put by the wayside. The singles dominate and take over and there seems to be little to no consideration given to the album's final construction. The album can't illicit that response because it is not paced in a way to do so.

Short and sweet, I think people appreciate music. Even the 19 year old girl who fills her iPod with the Billboard 100 appreciates the music. It may be a low level of appreciation but she still appreciates it. I think anyone who listens to and enjoys music appreciates it. It is a question of whether or not they could appreciate it more.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2009 04:50:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
You pretty much summed everything I feel so no need for another long rant from me. Although it'll probably turn into one.

I will say though, something that's really dangerous artistically, is this everyone-is-a-DJ shtick, that now you can make your own playlists and worse, that now computer algorithms will generate them for you. There's certainly a place for making a playlist, but the problem comes from people sort of discarding half the album for a selection of songs they already heard before they got the album. For as long as I've been seriously interested in music, I've taken the album to be the primary format of recorded music. This probably comes from listening to the likes of Pink Floyd.

It may sound dickish, but if someone tells me their favourite band is, I don't know, Kings of Leon, Muse, or something like that, my immediate assumption is that by listening to this band they think they're not part of this chart culture, this mainstream, but Kings of Leon are huge, and Muse are even huger. If someone tells me a list of their favourite bands, and they're all bands who've been in the mainstream to any degree, then I immediately suspect them to not be proper music fans. It suggests to me that they're not looking for music, they're waiting for music to come to them, to be sold to them by promotion, by the media.

As for the casual piracy/leak debate, I've got a lot to say, but I have to go see Porcupine Tree at the ABC in about ten minutes, so I'll save it.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2009 07:13:09(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I agree, my cousin is like that, he wants to listen to the music but do something else while hes doing it and just use it as background entertainment, while I like to sit there and listen to every noise, and sound from beginning to end.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Paradox  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2009 09:15:29(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Listening to an album from the beginning to end it's a cathartic experience, one of the saddest things I can think of is Pink Floyd's records being bought just to listen Another Brick in The Wall and Wish You Were Here
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
#6 Posted : 12 December 2009 11:25:05(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

For once I agree with all of you. Damn it, I thought this was going to be a good debate topic.
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2009 11:38:17(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

So, here's the piracy thing:

In ye olden days, a young lady or gentleman would walk into a music emporium, and exchange their hard-saved pocket money for a single gramophone record, which they would then take home, place on the player, drop the needle, and sit and listen. If they want another record, they have to go back to the shop with more money. So they try and get the most out of every album.

In the digital world, if you want to hear Dr. Dre, three minutes on Google, and you're downloading a RAR of Dr. Dre's entire discography for free, while sitting on your arse. Clearly that's a serious devaluing of music.

Also, in the past, if a record came out on March 7th, people would wait and get it on March 7th. Now, if people don't have the album two or three months before the release date, they get extremely agitated. Then it finally leaks, and people download it, and within a single day they've formed an opinion, which then becomes fixed in concrete - i.e. it's either shit or it's great, no in between, no time to grow. And of course, if the opinion is negative, that's expressed as angry disappointment, as if the artist has failed their personal responsibility to keep that one listener happy. And on top of that, the actual act of listening to an album for the first time, it does not live up to the crazy anticipation, so immediately after the leak, they're waiting for the next leak to drop. It's part of the digital drug of modern life.

So anyway, what I'm getting at is that while the internet revolution has been good for breadth of music listening, its been very bad for the quality of music listening. And make no mistake, listening is a skill. It is not simply the same as hearing, and even now I'm still learning how to listen to music, while it seems most people stop learning how to listen in their teens, and then stick largely to one area of music from their 20s for about the rest of their lives. The journey of listening to music for me, drifting from genre to genre, band to band, gathering an internal catalogue of music has been one of the few things I do not regret in my pitiful life, and it seems like now people are simply not taking that slow and measured journey, and are instead just gorging themselves without stopping to appreciate it.
#8 Posted : 12 December 2009 11:47:04(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Gildermershina wrote:

In ye olden days, a young lady or gentleman would walk into a music emporium, and exchange their hard-saved pocket money for a single gramophone record, which they would then take home, place on the player, drop the needle, and sit and listen. If they want another record, they have to go back to the shop with more money. So they try and get the most out of every album.

In the digital world, if you want to hear Dr. Dre, three minutes on Google, and you're downloading a RAR of Dr. Dre's entire discography for free, while sitting on your arse. Clearly that's a serious devaluing of music.

Also, in the past, if a record came out on March 7th, people would wait and get it on March 7th. Now, if people don't have the album two or three months before the release date, they get extremely agitated. Then it finally leaks, and people download it, and within a single day they've formed an opinion, which then becomes fixed in concrete - i.e. it's either shit or it's great, no in between, no time to grow. And of course, if the opinion is negative, that's expressed as angry disappointment, as if the artist has failed their personal responsibility to keep that one listener happy. And on top of that, the actual act of listening to an album for the first time, it does not live up to the crazy anticipation, so immediately after the leak, they're waiting for the next leak to drop. It's part of the digital drug of modern life.

So anyway, what I'm getting at is that while the internet revolution has been good for breadth of music listening, its been very bad for the quality of music listening. And make no mistake, listening is a skill. It is not simply the same as hearing, and even now I'm still learning how to listen to music, while it seems most people stop learning how to listen in their teens, and then stick largely to one area of music from their 20s for about the rest of their lives. The journey of listening to music for me, drifting from genre to genre, band to band, gathering an internal catalogue of music has been one of the few things I do not regret in my pitiful life, and it seems like now people are simply not taking that slow and measured journey, and are instead just gorging themselves without stopping to appreciate it.

I agree, especially the last paragraph.
Offline TheCDs  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2009 09:42:19(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:

Just to expand on your point about devaluing music a little bit:

I think the devaluing doesn't necessarily come from the act of downloading it illegally but from the sheer amount of music you can access. I can download the whole discography of Radiohead. The most common next step I see among my friends is that they then put all the songs into iTunes (or their player of choice) and then sample them. By sample I mean they start a song, listen for about 10-20 seconds, skip to a new section of the same song and listen for 10-20 seconds, and repeat that process for a random selection of 15-20 songs. They don't take the time to organize or label the music (whenever I add new music to my player I make sure the album name, tracklisting, genre, track order, are correct and that the albums are ordered by release date for each artist so I can really experience their growth or changes over time, and I do purchase all of my music) they just sample it and then form an opinion. Then they move on, start another torrent and repeat the process for every artist they hear about. There is no real time taken to actually really listen to anything, it becomes more about having the collection so you can tell your friends "oh yea I totally have all their stuff" to keep your credibility. To me that is where the real devaluing of the music exists.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Aj  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2009 10:00:21(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Music has always been used for different reasons, and whether or not nowadays someone listens to just the one song whilst making a cup of tea or doing something else rather than paying full attention to it is just the way they want to use it. It's not devaluing music, it's just a different way of using it. I mean seriously the majority of people don't listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion whilst cooking dinner, they'll listen to the latest pop tune. Which is fine, because it's how you use it. And if people listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion whilst cooking dinner - power to them. So all you who are saying people making playlists and not listening to the whole album is devaluing music, it's really not. Because music's like any other art form - it can be used and interperated in whichever way you want. If you want to listen to The Dark Side of the Moon straight - do it. If you only want to listen to Money - do it.

It doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother you because music has as much value as YOU give it.

Shit, that was deep. ;)

I agree with the illegal download part though.
Offline TheCDs  
#11 Posted : 13 December 2009 10:04:53(UTC)
TheCDs

Aj wrote:
Music has always been used for different reasons, and whether or not nowadays someone listens to just the one song whilst making a cup of tea or doing something else rather than paying full attention to it is just the way they want to use it. It's not devaluing music, it's just a different way of using it. I mean seriously the majority of people don't listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion whilst cooking dinner, they'll listen to the latest pop tune. Which is fine, because it's how you use it. And if people listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion whilst cooking dinner - power to them. So all you who are saying people making playlists and not listening to the whole album is devaluing music, it's really not. Because music's like any other art form - it can be used and interperated in whichever way you want. If you want to listen to The Dark Side of the Moon straight - do it. If you only want to listen to Money - do it.

It doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother you because music has as much value as YOU give it.

Shit, that was deep. ;)

I would argue that the artists intended for the album to be heard from start to finish in order and in their entirety so anything other than that is really using it in a way the artist had not intended.

On a more newsworthy note, this debate about artists' intention is going to be important going forward. The RIAA tried to sue people for ripping CDs to their PCs because they argued they were using the music "in a way the artist did not intend or anticipate."
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
#12 Posted : 13 December 2009 10:08:29(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:

Shit, that was deep. ;)

I would argue that the artists intended for the album to be heard from start to finish in order and in their entirety so anything other than that is really using it in a way the artist had not intended.

On a more newsworthy note, this debate about artists' intention is going to be important going forward. The RIAA tried to sue people for ripping CDs to their PCs because they argued they were using the music "in a way the artist did not intend or anticipate."

That is a freaking good point.
Offline Gildermershina  
#13 Posted : 13 December 2009 10:42:55(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Aj wrote:

Shit, that was deep. ;)

I get what you're saying, but I disagree strongly. To clarify, I'm not suggesting listening to music cannot be a background task, in fact, I often listen to music in the background, but the point is that I really listen, and I choose what I'm going to listen to. I specifically pick something based on my mood, an album, and listen to it in the intended order, where possible, in one sitting.

It's not so much about attention paid, although that is an important aspect, it's more about the perceived place of music in our lives, and the value attributed to it. If all the music ever recorded is available to steal almost instantaneously at any time, then who has the time to actually sit through an album? How do you decide which one? Especially if you're trying to keep up with all the music ever.

Beyond that even, something I've heard occasionally on last.fm, something which made me extremely angry, was in response to the idea that this guy who didn't like an album should listen to it more, to which he said something along the lines of "If you don't like something at first and you have to keep listening until you do, then you're just forcing it." That is the exact opposite of everything I believe about music. Most of the music I listen to I did not get immediately, but neither did I force myself to like anything I did not like. When I hear something new for the first time, I know going in it's not going to be like listening to an old favourite, so I'm looking for potential, something that I know will grow on me. The albums I enjoy the most are ones that I can listen to over and over and still hear new things, discover more and more.

It seems to me like if you download stuff for free, almost everything you actually listen to, it's like an audition, to see if it grabs you, and if it doesn't move onto the next thing right away. No maturation period. It also leads to people making ridiculous snap judgements about a new album so quickly, and so far in advance of its actual release. Since the music is going through this auditioning process all the time, that seems to breed an attitude of easily dismissing albums. Same fucking thing with movies. People will review new movies based on shitty quality rips they watched on their computer, windowed, while surfing the net. Music deserves your respect and your attention.

A lot of the time, a person really gets attached to the first release that they heard by a beloved band, so a new album is always always facing up to an insurmountable weight of expectation, and when you're in the mindset of making these snap judgements, there's no way you can decide in the space of 2 days that an album is shit compared to the old one that you love, and have been listening to for three years. And if you're making these binary judgements, you're likely also the sort of person who express opinion as fact. It's not that "I don't like the new album" it's that "the new album is shit, they used to be great, but now they sound like <insert unfashionably popular band here>", and because they then don't listen to that release again, further down the line that turns into "this band has been shit since album X, and if you like the new albums you're not a proper fan." Fuck that shit.

That is the devaluation I'm talking about.

Edited by user 13 December 2009 10:44:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Aj  
#14 Posted : 14 December 2009 01:47:18(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I disagree strongly. To clarify, I'm not suggesting listening to music cannot be a background task, in fact, I often listen to music in the background, but the point is that I really listen, and I choose what I'm going to listen to. I specifically pick something based on my mood, an album, and listen to it in the intended order, where possible, in one sitting.

It's not so much about attention paid, although that is an important aspect, it's more about the perceived place of music in our lives, and the value attributed to it. If all the music ever recorded is available to steal almost instantaneously at any time, then who has the time to actually sit through an album? How do you decide which one? Especially if you're trying to keep up with all the music ever.

Beyond that even, something I've heard occasionally on last.fm, something which made me extremely angry, was in response to the idea that this guy who didn't like an album should listen to it more, to which he said something along the lines of "If you don't like something at first and you have to keep listening until you do, then you're just forcing it." That is the exact opposite of everything I believe about music. Most of the music I listen to I did not get immediately, but neither did I force myself to like anything I did not like. When I hear something new for the first time, I know going in it's not going to be like listening to an old favourite, so I'm looking for potential, something that I know will grow on me. The albums I enjoy the most are ones that I can listen to over and over and still hear new things, discover more and more.

It seems to me like if you download stuff for free, almost everything you actually listen to, it's like an audition, to see if it grabs you, and if it doesn't move onto the next thing right away. No maturation period. It also leads to people making ridiculous snap judgements about a new album so quickly, and so far in advance of its actual release. Since the music is going through this auditioning process all the time, that seems to breed an attitude of easily dismissing albums. Same fucking thing with movies. People will review new movies based on shitty quality rips they watched on their computer, windowed, while surfing the net. Music deserves your respect and your attention.

A lot of the time, a person really gets attached to the first release that they heard by a beloved band, so a new album is always always facing up to an insurmountable weight of expectation, and when you're in the mindset of making these snap judgements, there's no way you can decide in the space of 2 days that an album is shit compared to the old one that you love, and have been listening to for three years. And if you're making these binary judgements, you're likely also the sort of person who express opinion as fact. It's not that "I don't like the new album" it's that "the new album is shit, they used to be great, but now they sound like <insert unfashionably popular band here>", and because they then don't listen to that release again, further down the line that turns into "this band has been shit since album X, and if you like the new albums you're not a proper fan." Fuck that shit.

That is the devaluation I'm talking about.

Okay, so people may make snap judgements about music but my argument is it's not hindering your enjoyment of listening to music. If someone else decide they dislike Suede after only listening to 'Animal Nitrate', yeah I guess I'll get a little peeved, but that's only because I think they're missing out on something by not giving it a proper go. However just because they dislike the song doesn't mean it's any less important to me and doesn't mean I'll enjoy it any less.

Agreeably, it's a shame the charts are mostly filled with recycled, boring, pop one hit wonders and no one really digs any deeper into the undergrowth - however finding brilliant music, like was said in a different thread, is getting far easier with the development of the internet and things like Last.fm and Spotify. So I think it's simply down to a personal choice. If people decide they want to just keep to their one song they like and not listen to the entire album, that's up to them - but if they do want to dig deeper then they can do that to far easier than they used to be able to.

You talk about the masses of music being available as being a bad thing, I think the opposite completely because that can only be a good thing if you DO want to expand your musical horizons because you can access everything so much easier now. The only problem I see with people making, as you called them, snap judgements is that THEY'LL be the ones missing out on it and as long as I have the music I want to listen to and as long as I can find the music I want to listen to it doesn't bother me.

I agree that people do give bands new releases not enough time because of the expectation of the album, obviously. However that doesn't happen an awful lot in mainstream music with people like Ne-Yo and Rihanna. I mean even if the new album is a heap of shit and nothing compared to their first album it will still sell bazzillions because it's almost a fashion accessory, which is what I think is devauling music. I don't think it's the way people make judgements or the way people find the music, it's the way they only like it because it's the in thing. But as I've repeatadly say, as long as I get the music I want you can all do what you want and listen to what you want because I'll be having fun, the artists will be having fun, and everyone else will be having fun - possibly each for different reasons, but even if you do only listen to Chris Browns new song because it's 'cool' then that's a personal choice you can make and it's up to you if you don't want to try new things out.

TheCDs wrote:

The problem with this statement is that maybe the artists did intend it to be listened to like that, however the kind of bands who usually bother with coming up with conceptual ideas and actually planning the placement of songs in depth are rarely top ten artists, hell they're rarely even top fifty so the kind of people who will listen to them will often listen to it all the way through, but if they DON'T listen to it all the way through then that's they're way of listening to it and it's what they want to do with it so people should have the power to do that. The band provides the music and the listener listens to it how he/she wants to listen to it. The artist shouldn't dictate how they intend for it to be listened to and the listener shouldn't dictate how they provide it.
Offline Gildermershina  
#15 Posted : 14 December 2009 03:09:43(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

I think it's the artists prerogative to dictate the nature of their art. And believe me, album track order, artwork, the presentation of an album, these are all painstakingly decided upon, not necessarily by artists, but at the very least usually approved by the artist.

You say that how other people listen to music doesn't affect how I listen to it, and I completely agree with that, but I'm not talking about people devaluing the music I listen to, I'm talking about them devaluing the music they listen to. I'm saying that Music is no longer special to most people, it's no longer given the attention and respect it deserves as a cultural medium. That is the devaluation I'm speaking of.

I am so sick to death of this attitude that music should be free, therefore I should not pay for it when I can get it for free. People have this attitude that they would never spend money on the album so it doesn't make any difference to the artist if they steal it, and that is the biggest load of bullshit. It's a crime that's become so casual people don't even think twice that they're listening to something that cost a significant amount of money to record and distribute, and that the people making this music are doing this for a living - many of home are struggling to make ends meet - because apparently music has no monetary value to these people.

The internet is great for discovering new bands, hearing new music, all of that, and for culture in general. But at the same time, having immediate access to the sum of all human knowledge devalues it. It's simple human nature. The anticipation of Christmas is so great when you're a kid, then you open all your presents, and it gets to that last present and you sit there surrounded by stuff, and you sigh because as good as all that stuff is, now you've nothing to look forward to.

Some say, even if 95% of an albums downloads are illegal, if those people were not going to buy it in the first place, that's just spreading the word which is good for the artists. Which is of course bullshit, because sales are largely decreasing, or increasing much more slowly. People seem to think that live music is where musicians rake it in, but that's bullshit too. Very little ticket price for a mid-level act in this country will make it into band profit, once expenses are paid, and if you've got five guys in the band that's stretched even thinner. And as for merchandise - people who steal music online but go to shows, they're simply not going to buy merchandise. They'll even baulk at how they're being ripped off at £15 a t-shirt - when was the last time you bought a t-shirt in a clothes store that was that much cheaper? The people buying merchandise are the same people who're buying the album and supporting the bands as much as they can, and thankfully enough of the bands I listen to can scrape by on that.

The real money in music is all in licensing. Adverts, TV, movies. And when a label owns the recording copyright as they do in the vast majority of cases (there's another lengthy rant on that subject but I'll not go there now) then a great deal more of that revenue stream goes to the label than the artist anyway. So the best way to actually support the artists that you love (assuming of course they're not signed to a major label - in which case the artist is basically fucked on this front) is to try and purchase the album by as direct a route as possible, attend a concert, and maybe buy a cool t-shirt or something if you can.
Offline Shadowmire  
#16 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:11:21(UTC)
Shadowmire

TheCDs wrote:

Short and sweet, I think people appreciate music. Even the 19 year old girl who fills her iPod with the Billboard 100 appreciates the music. It may be a low level of appreciation but she still appreciates it. I think anyone who listens to and enjoys music appreciates it. It is a question of whether or not they could appreciate it more.

I agree with this. All of these people do appreciate music to some degree, regardless of their specific listening habits or what they may listen to. In my opinion, it is purely a matter of what makes a person happy, and fits what they do every day. Listening to music is a form of entertainment, and as such, there is no reason to become rigid about it, or complain about how people listen to just the singles or something.

While I tend to be the type of listener who immerses himself in the music (although, I have music playing whenever I can hear it at all, regardless of what I am doing), I have no problem with listening to specific songs, or background listening, either. Like I said, whatever makes you happy.

...That is essentially my 'argument' with most everything. If it wasn't off-topic I would explain why.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#17 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:23:42(UTC)
TheCDs

Shadowmire wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

I agree with this. All of these people do appreciate music to some degree, regardless of their specific listening habits or what they may listen to. In my opinion, it is purely a matter of what makes a person happy, and fits what they do every day. Listening to music is a form of entertainment, and as such, there is no reason to become rigid about it, or complain about how people listen to just the singles or something.

While I tend to be the type of listener who immerses himself in the music (although, I have music playing whenever I can hear it at all, regardless of what I am doing), I have no problem with listening to specific songs, or background listening, either. Like I said, whatever makes you happy.

...That is essentially my 'argument' with most everything. If it wasn't off-topic I would explain why.

I think there is a problem with just listening to the singles. Like I said before, listening to just the single is listening to the piece out of context. The single is part of the album and as such should be heard as part of the album. People listen to the singles and nothing else, they don't actually get the full experience of the single as part of the album. It is just like taking a quote out of context, you can get some meaning from it, but to get the actual message you have to read it in context.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Shadowmire  
#18 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:37:58(UTC)
Shadowmire

I suppose, but again, that makes music listening a bit rigid. Personally, I am genuinely agitated by the idea of listening to individual tracks out of albums (especially concept albums; I've yelled at people for that before...), but that's just me. I feel others should do whatever they want.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#19 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:42:18(UTC)
TheCDs

Shadowmire wrote:
I suppose, but again, that makes music listening a bit rigid. Personally, I am genuinely agitated by the idea of listening to individual tracks out of albums (especially concept albums; I've yelled at people for that before...), but that's just me. I feel others should do whatever they want.

It isn't about being rigid, its about the best way to listen. Listening to a song and giving it your full attention is a better way to listen than to have the same song on while you are driving. Listening to the single in context with the album is a better way to listen than to just listen to the single. It is about increasing the quality of listening, not claiming that there are specific rules for listening.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Shadowmire  
#20 Posted : 14 December 2009 04:46:22(UTC)
Shadowmire

Fair enough. I agree completely, so I have no idea how I could possibly continue debating...
UserPostedImage