logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cappstv  
#81 Posted : 06 July 2010 18:47:42(UTC)
cappstv

Groups: Registered

Its not meant to be funny, have you listen to Has Been? It is one of the most epic albums ever.
UserPostedImage Mr. Capps - Reviewer
Offline forkboy  
#82 Posted : 07 July 2010 00:36:00(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'm assuming you are confusing the word "epic" with the phrase "utter novelty shite".
Offline Gildermershina  
#83 Posted : 07 July 2010 02:36:17(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
To be fair, Has Been is the one William Shatner album of some non-novelty artist merit. That being said, it's really Ben Folds with Shatner vocals and poetry. So get off your high horse.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#84 Posted : 07 July 2010 04:04:49(UTC)
forkboy

Gildermershina wrote:
To be fair, Has Been is the one William Shatner album of some non-novelty artist merit. That being said, it's really Ben Folds with Shatner vocals and poetry. So get off your high horse.

OK, the idea that Ben Folds records an epic album is as laughable as Shatner. And that's nothing against Ben, just isn't his style.
Offline Gildermershina  
#85 Posted : 07 July 2010 04:16:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

forkboy wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

OK, the idea that Ben Folds records an epic album is as laughable as Shatner. And that's nothing against Ben, just isn't his style.

Yes, epic is absolutely not the right word.
Offline Thorgrim  
#86 Posted : 09 July 2010 09:04:54(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

The Shat is a God amongst men. I truly believe He is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ himself, otherwise He wouldn't have told us about the priceline.com's awesome power to save us money. Believe it comrade.
Offline Gildermershina  
#87 Posted : 09 July 2010 09:42:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

I'm Pro-Shatner, but realistically, Rocket Man is the only musical Shatner I want or need.

Man, it's the enthusiastic introduction that sells it...

Edited by user 09 July 2010 09:44:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thorgrim  
#88 Posted : 10 July 2010 00:27:22(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Gildermershina wrote:
I'm Pro-Shatner, but realistically, Rocket Man is the only musical Shatner I want or need.

Wow, that is awesome. Sounds like HAWKWIND meets the score for the original Star Trek series.
Offline ALX  
#89 Posted : 10 July 2010 01:51:03(UTC)
ALX

Man

Gildermershina wrote:

RP Only Since July 2010

The Owner Of:

Long Nights- [alt-rock/post-grunge- think Foo Fighters meets Creature with the Atom Brain] MTN Climber
-Ryan Page: Vocals/Guitar/Keys
-Warren Mcgriff- Guitar
-Christopher I. Myers- Bass
-Blake Renwick- Drums

The World According To St. Jimmy- [Pop-punk/punk- Think Green Day meets Social Distortion]
-Michael "Dog" Bryant: Vocals
-Shawn "Shady" Harris: Guitar
-Jeff Zamora: Bass
-Karl Hine: Drums

forkboy wrote:
STOP MISSING THE FUCKING POINT YOU INTENTIONALLY OBTUSE BUFFOON

Paradox wrote:
*Shotgun clicks*

Dont mess with prog

The Skulls wrote:
Why thank you. Wait, if I'm alive then -- oh lawdy BRRRAAAAIIINZZZ

Offline Gildermershina  
#90 Posted : 10 July 2010 02:24:41(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

ALX wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Yeah, but that's no longer funny when you've seen the original.
Offline forkboy  
#91 Posted : 10 July 2010 03:10:02(UTC)
forkboy

Surely it is funnier when you actually get the reference?

Well, not so much a reference as a rip-off.
Offline C4AJoh  
#92 Posted : 10 July 2010 03:51:17(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
I don't know if anyone has said that they think American Idiot is an epic album.
For me it's one of THE epic albums.
say what you like about them "selling out" which I don't agree with.
For me that album took Green Day from becoming a very average pop/rock band just a shadow of their former selves into probably the best band around.
so what if they've become more mainstream but they're still one of the best live performing bands around right now.
same pretty much goes for Only By The Night by Kings Of Leon, the fact is they totally blew up after that album and you know that people are gonna buy their next record on the strength of their last record.
Offline Gildermershina  
#93 Posted : 10 July 2010 04:00:12(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

C4AJoh wrote:
I don't know if anyone has said that they think American Idiot is an epic album.
For me that album took Green Day from becoming a very average pop/rock band just a shadow of their former selves into probably the best band around.
so what if they've become more mainstream but they're still one of the best live performing bands around right now.
same pretty much goes for Only By The Night by Kings Of Leon, the fact is they totally blew up after that album and you know that people are gonna buy their next record on the strength of their last record.

I would say what Green Day did was perfect their pop rock shtick and develop some good old fashioned ambition. American Idiot is not something I'm interested in listening to, but I certainly think it could qualify, given its "concept album" status and the production of songs like Wake Me Up When September Ends and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.
Offline C4AJoh  
#94 Posted : 10 July 2010 04:04:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Gildermershina wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:

I would say what Green Day did was perfect their pop rock shtick and develop some good old fashioned ambition. American Idiot is not something I'm interested in listening to, but I certainly think it could qualify, given its "concept album" status and the production of songs like Wake Me Up When September Ends and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Thank you, someone who agrees and although like you say it's not your kind of thing, it's still a album of note. I don't like people who say Green Day sold out on American Idiot and then they'll say something like Dookie was their best album. wasn't Basket Case just as succesful as the American Idiot singles, it just doesn't make sense. I don't mind if they say they didn't like the album but they really shouldn't complain that they sold out.
Offline forkboy  
#95 Posted : 10 July 2010 04:19:59(UTC)
forkboy

Selling out is about more than being commercially successful. It's more about changing your sound or image with the inherent idea of making more cash, or perhaps abandoning independent music to become signed with a major label. Certainly the changes from Kerplunk to Dookie are miniscule compared to the change from Warning and American Idiot, on the whole. But I also think saying that the idea of Green Day selling out is kinda silly, you can't (or at least shouldn't) expect 40 year olds to be playing straight pop-punk which is a very teenage sorta type of music, and their music changed from Dookie to Insomniac and then had another change on Nimrod, and another on Warning. They were always evolving their sound in small ways.
Offline C4AJoh  
#96 Posted : 10 July 2010 04:24:22(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

forkboy wrote:
Selling out is about more than being commercially successful. It's more about changing your sound or image with the inherent idea of making more cash, or perhaps abandoning independent music to become signed with a major label. Certainly the changes from Kerplunk to Dookie are miniscule compared to the change from Warning and American Idiot, on the whole. But I also think saying that the idea of Green Day selling out is kinda silly, you can't (or at least shouldn't) expect 40 year olds to be playing straight pop-punk which is a very teenage sorta type of music, and their music changed from Dookie to Insomniac and then had another change on Nimrod, and another on Warning. They were always evolving their sound in small ways.

Yeah they weren't gonna continue singing about shit and masturbation when they were married with kids and stuff. I never heard of Green Day until American Idiot came about, because of my age and American Idiot was actually the first record I bought, like proper record not those compilation CD's which were terrible.
Offline forkboy  
#97 Posted : 10 July 2010 08:34:15(UTC)
forkboy

First heard them in 2000 with Nimrod. But honestly, Dookie is probably my fave Green Day record. Also really like Insomniac. In a decade I've still to actually to hear their two indy releases from start to finish.

I can't even remember what my first CD album was. Actually I think I got two CDs the Christmas I got my first CD player, one was an indie/rock compilation that had stuff like Cornershop - Brimful of Asha, Stereophonics - A Thousand Trees, and bands like Shed 7 and it was where I first heard Iggy Pop. There was also a song from the Trainspotting soundtrack that was like a dance track with the whole Ewan McGregor "Choose Life" shitck being spoken over it, PF Project - Choose Life. But yeah, also got Urban Hymns by The Verve as far as I remember, so that must be 1997. Had quite a collection of cassettes before that though, first two Oasis albums, first two Cast albums, Supergrass' debut, four Blur albums, but the first full album I had on cassette was Michael Jackson's Thriller, though I also had a copy of Bad that my parents got from a friends kid. Aaaaah, nostalgia. Also had screeds of my folks home made compilations which must have taken ages to do, baring in mind that they were recording the songs onto tape off vinyl. Those were some fucking awesome compilations that I could as a kid, no wonder my taste now is so fucking great.
Offline Rodney81  
#98 Posted : 25 July 2010 18:04:45(UTC)
Rodney81

Can't stay there will ever be a great album like those that would be both musically tasteful and enormously successful. The saddest thing is that if a band like that does emerge, everybody will panit for being too successful rofl! There's just no pleasing ppl really. I thought Coldplay were great at first for example, but after they got really successful, I got tired of them. Plus, about a year after that whole Clocks thing came out, I realized that they sound an awful lot like a Radiohead jr, and although I love Thom Yorke, there can only be one Thom Yorke.
Offline Wilson  
#99 Posted : 06 August 2010 03:50:29(UTC)
Wilson

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends would be the most recent "great" album I could think of.
Artist: Wilson
Genre: Techno/Electronica/New Wave/Avant Garde
Years Active: 2001-Present
Label: Jaundice Records
Latest Release: Badstuber (Album)
Signature Song: Sarajevo
Offline MATTT  
#100 Posted : 06 August 2010 04:32:21(UTC)
MATTT

Man

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold is a pretty great album!
MY ARTISTS

hindsight.
UserPostedImage