logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline the strom  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2010 20:28:33(UTC)
the strom

Groups: Registered

a song by Fear Factory called crash test got me thinking about this topic

i just want to know what everone thinks about animal testing and why. oh im Against it i think it;s wrong playing with there live's
UserPostedImage

HELL YEAH METAL FOR LIFE

THE STROM

the strom website here
the rockstar game music Here

bands

the strom (thrash metal) breaking up?
Band members
Ben
Ray
isacc
psyco
ryan
dlyin

Rp bands
Mind game (prog metal/alt metal)
Ben (guitar)
King (vocalist)
Jace (drums)
Luke (bass)

Offline Aj  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2010 02:58:18(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
A billion percent against animal testing for anything aside from thing's that are for medical use, and even in that case the minimal amount of animals should be used. Because yeah I know it's cruel to the little mice, however the animal kingdom's full of cunts and although humans are miles ahead of being threatened by anything apart from themselves, if a medicine that kills 100 mice leads to save 200 humans, I think it's a price worth paying.

But apart from that I'm completely against any forms of animal cruelty, especially thing's like McDonalds and KFC and big corporations. Highest standards for keeping animals should always be enforced and a fuck load harder than they are right now. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if everyone had to be forced to become veggies because tbh I really don't trust humans with animals.
Offline bikz  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2010 03:20:23(UTC)
bikz

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I'm for it when it comes to medicine. I know, Bikki, think of the bunnies, but my grandma's downstairs and wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for animal tested heart medication. And that's the same for so many people. Beauty products? Different thing entirely. I'd rather be The Great Unwashed than have clean hair from Pantene or Head & Shoulders.

Edited by user 02 February 2010 03:21:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline TheCDs  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2010 09:40:27(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I really don't care. Test all you want, animals aren't kind to each other in the wild, and getting needles shoved in you is probably less painful then having something else rip your body in half (I haven't been ripped in half but the needles aren't that bad). I mean I don't believe that they have the higher brain functions that we have to feel real emotions. I believe it is all instinct, they don't love, they don't feel happy after they eat, they just fulfill a need and move onto the next one. I have yet to see any research or data that suggests otherwise.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2010 11:12:32(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
I really don't care. Test all you want, animals aren't kind to each other in the wild, and getting needles shoved in you is probably less painful then having something else rip your body in half (I haven't been ripped in half but the needles aren't that bad). I mean I don't believe that they have the higher brain functions that we have to feel real emotions. I believe it is all instinct, they don't love, they don't feel happy after they eat, they just fulfill a need and move onto the next one. I have yet to see any research or data that suggests otherwise.

Not sure what these higher brain functions are that you're talking about, but emotions seem to have developed in the mammalian brain, which means that all mammals experience some range of emotion. If you remove the florid human view of emotions as complex states of mind, all they are is the mind's reaction to a set of circumstances.

The question that is often brought up is whether or not animals feel pain. That's retarded. If they react to pain, they feel it. Pain is a signal in the brain. Whether or not it feels the way it does to humans is irrelevant. People often talk about dogs only showing affection to their owners because they see them as part of their pack, as though that means that it's not really love because it's an automatic response. Well I don't know if you've noticed, but humans tend to automatically love their families too. I guess that means we're not capable of real love either, because we just want to protect our shared genes.

I disagree with this whole notion of humans as being somehow a higher being, that somehow, because we smile when we see a rainbow, that means we're necessarily worthy of a higher set of ethics. Fuck that.

Imagine an alien species flies to the Earth. Physically they're stronger. Mentally they're stronger. Emotionally, they're capable of experiencing feelings beyond human comprehension. To them, pain isn't like we would understand as a response to an injury, it actually physically degrades the parts of their brains responsible for their memories and personalities. So that means they should totally test their drugs on humans right? After all, we're not capable of their level of pain therefore should it not be okay for them to inflict it on us instead of on themselves?

I don't want products tested on animals, I want products tested on humans, with consent. I understand that science and medicine have progressed much faster because of animal testing, and I know that by testing a small sample of animals you can save many more humans. I'm questioning the assumed notion of human ethics, more than anything else. If you are willingly inflicting pain on something, the reason had better be good. The animals don't have the choice, we do, and the choice shouldn't be as easy as "it's easier this way."

Edited by user 02 February 2010 11:13:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2010 12:33:35(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
For it, cuz we can.

Animals aren't doing anything and are depleting our own resources for building their conservation sites. They might as well get a job, those lazy bums. besides, most people who say they don't want to do animal testing, you all eat meat. Not all, but most animal rights activists are major hypocrits, and most vegetarians are potheads.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Paradox  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2010 13:02:24(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Mt. Epic wrote:
For it, cuz we can.

Animals aren't doing anything and are depleting our own resources for building their conservation sites. They might as well get a job, those lazy bums. besides, most people who say they don't want to do animal testing, you all eat meat. Not all, but most animal rights activists are major hypocrits, and most vegetarians are potheads.

Who says it's our resources?
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2010 13:09:25(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Paradox wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
For it, cuz we can.

Well if it ain't ours then the person or people or beings or whatever didn't do a good job guarding it
UserPostedImage

Offline Gildermershina  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2010 13:41:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Mt. Epic wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
For it, cuz we can.

Well if it ain't ours then the person or people or beings or whatever didn't do a good job guarding it

Okay, I know you're only young, but that's extremely stupid. Animals are not eating up our resources. The only animals that are eating our resources really are cattle livestock, and that's a human concern not an animal one.
Offline asdf  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2010 14:17:14(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I am 14 also, and even I know that is a stupid outlook. No offense Epic, but come on!
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Mt. Epic  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2010 14:34:51(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Gildermershina wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
For it, cuz we can.

Okay, I know you're only young, but that's extremely stupid. Animals are not eating up our resources. The only animals that are eating our resources really are cattle livestock, and that's a human concern not an animal one.

I was sarcastic about that. I'm a proud supporter of the Darwinist ideals, and so I believe, if you want something accomplished, get it accomplished, but you're gonna have to do it with your own force and strength. If us humans want to test animals, then we should do it, but we are going to have to do it with our own force and strength. If animals don't want to be able to get tested, then they should fight back, but they are going to do it with their own force and strength, but unfortunately for them, they ain't that wise nor do they have the strenght to escape. If people don't want animals to be tested, they will have to make sure it doesn't happen, but they will have to do it with their own force and strength. But, for the people who don't want animals to be used for experiments are dumb, because they then would have to use a human for experimentations, which would put a human in risk, but once again, you could classify the human like an animal in this situation. Basically, these experimentations are all dangerous and nobody wants to do them, and those who want animals are merrily saying that they don't want to do it.
UserPostedImage

Offline TheCDs  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2010 16:09:57(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Imagine an alien species flies to the Earth. Physically they're stronger. Mentally they're stronger. Emotionally, they're capable of experiencing feelings beyond human comprehension. To them, pain isn't like we would understand as a response to an injury, it actually physically degrades the parts of their brains responsible for their memories and personalities. So that means they should totally test their drugs on humans right? After all, we're not capable of their level of pain therefore should it not be okay for them to inflict it on us instead of on themselves.

That's how I see it. We are able to exert our control over them so if we want to test on them we should. If super aliens show up I hope they are the council races from Mass Effect that way we will already be protected from testing, for the most part at least.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2010 22:40:09(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Mt. Epic wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:
For it, cuz we can.

I was sarcastic about that. I'm a proud supporter of the Darwinist ideals, and so I believe, if you want something accomplished, get it accomplished, but you're gonna have to do it with your own force and strength. If us humans want to test animals, then we should do it, but we are going to have to do it with our own force and strength. If animals don't want to be able to get tested, then they should fight back, but they are going to do it with their own force and strength, but unfortunately for them, they ain't that wise nor do they have the strenght to escape. If people don't want animals to be tested, they will have to make sure it doesn't happen, but they will have to do it with their own force and strength. But, for the people who don't want animals to be used for experiments are dumb, because they then would have to use a human for experimentations, which would put a human in risk, but once again, you could classify the human like an animal in this situation. Basically, these experimentations are all dangerous and nobody wants to do them, and those who want animals are merrily saying that they don't want to do it.

So, if you want to have sex with a lady, you should totally just do it, with your own force and strength, and if she's not strong enough to stop you, then that's fine?

Or does it only apply to other species?

TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Imagine an alien species flies to the Earth. Physically they're stronger. Mentally they're stronger. Emotionally, they're capable of experiencing feelings beyond human comprehension. To them, pain isn't like we would understand as a response to an injury, it actually physically degrades the parts of their brains responsible for their memories and personalities. So that means they should totally test their drugs on humans right? After all, we're not capable of their level of pain therefore should it not be okay for them to inflict it on us instead of on themselves.

That's how I see it. We are able to exert our control over them so if we want to test on them we should. If super aliens show up I hope they are the council races from Mass Effect that way we will already be protected from testing, for the most part at least.

Seems to me aliens are more likely to be Collectors than Asari...

This is the "we can therefore we should" argument, either because you believe human life more valuable, or because you believe it is simply the logical course of action, or because you simply don't believe in ethics. Any which way I can't really sympathise with this viewpoint.
Offline Rincewind  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2010 02:06:06(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
its all a question of gain.... do we gain from an animals suffering?
if we gain from it then yes i think that there is a dubious argument for it... For example. by killing a cow we gain meat. Does this mean its right? (although thats another argument)..

i think a lot of the time with animal testing our gain is minimal because at the end of the day what works for a mouse could kill a dog or a human, which is why it always eventually goes to human trials eventually anyway. What i would like to see is a computer system advanced enough to be able to predict the outcome of the drug, thus preventing any king of live trials full stop.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#15 Posted : 03 February 2010 02:08:55(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Rincewind wrote:
if we gain from it then yes i think that there is a dubious argument for it... For example. by killing a cow we gain meat. Does this mean its right? (although thats another argument)..

i think a lot of the time with animal testing our gain is minimal because at the end of the day what works for a mouse could kill a dog or a human, which is why it always eventually goes to human trials eventually anyway. What i would like to see is a computer system advanced enough to be able to predict the outcome of the drug, thus preventing any king of live trials full stop.

Unfortunately we are not that smart yet.
Offline Aj  
#16 Posted : 03 February 2010 03:02:25(UTC)
Aj

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

So we use small numbers of animals, and try to predict the outcome. Then you test it on humans who have no other choice than to have it because it's their last hope etc etc, until you get to a conclusive decision about it. Drugs can be in the making for ten years or more, and they cost hundreds of millions of pounds, so saying what could kill a mouse could kill a human, while true you can generally predict that it will or it won't so it's not like some kind of wild guesswork's going on. And the gain isn't minimal, because humans produce masses of pharmaceuticals all the time and new ones are always being made, so many that saying people don't gain from it is just silly because obviously we do otherwise you wouldn't be able to take that pill that got rid of your sore throat or that antibiotic that sorted out your cut. Animal testing is important, just in moderation.
Offline Rincewind  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2010 06:45:06(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Aj wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

So we use small numbers of animals, and try to predict the outcome. Then you test it on humans who have no other choice than to have it because it's their last hope etc etc, until you get to a conclusive decision about it. Drugs can be in the making for ten years or more, and they cost hundreds of millions of pounds, so saying what could kill a mouse could kill a human, while true you can generally predict that it will or it won't so it's not like some kind of wild guesswork's going on. And the gain isn't minimal, because humans produce masses of pharmaceuticals all the time and new ones are always being made, so many that saying people don't gain from it is just silly because obviously we do otherwise you wouldn't be able to take that pill that got rid of your sore throat or that antibiotic that sorted out your cut. Animal testing is important, just in moderation.

don't get me started on the actual companies making these drugs... Most of the stuff they actually come up with is just a slightly different version of omthing they allready make, but because its new they get to charge more for it.... the companies are not out to solve our problems and cure desease... they make money from human problems and want that to continue.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Aj  
#18 Posted : 03 February 2010 07:00:21(UTC)
Aj

Man

Rincewind wrote:
Aj wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

don't get me started on the actual companies making these drugs... Most of the stuff they actually come up with is just a slightly different version of omthing they allready make, but because its new they get to charge more for it.... the companies are not out to solve our problems and cure desease... they make money from human problems and want that to continue.

Yeah, but if they make money from fixing things the things still gets fixed, so alls well that ends well? Yeah the companies are going to screw a few people, but if the drugs are out there and you can get access to them I don't see what's so bad about that.
Offline Gildermershina  
#19 Posted : 03 February 2010 07:07:36(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Aj wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Aj wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Yeah, but if they make money from fixing things the things still gets fixed, so alls well that ends well? Yeah the companies are going to screw a few people, but if the drugs are out there and you can get access to them I don't see what's so bad about that.

You're saying that the ends justify the means? Because I'm not sure how fleecing people out of shit-loads of money is not justifiable no matter the means. It's tantamount to extortion. You might as well say, as long as they send the kid back alive, it's okay for someone to kidnap a child and hold them for ransom.
Offline Aj  
#20 Posted : 03 February 2010 07:39:42(UTC)
Aj

Man

No I won't say that because the kid coming back alive isn't better. What I was trying to say was fair enough it is wrong to effectively steal peoples money, however if people are stupid enough to go round buying things that they don't quite need then that's their problem and people should be educated against buying 'pointless' drugs rather than them being stopped altogether. I don't know, my opinions kinda shitty on this one because I don't know enough about the pharmaceutical industry to really comment intelligently.

Oh, and thank you Google chrome for having pharmaceutical in your dictionary (L)