logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2010 02:52:35(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
this is not an argument as to weather god does or does not exist.... you can look at this as a world where people never discovered god, or one where they accept that he doesn't exist.... your choice.
this is an argument about what the world would be like without religion and the various different religious beliefs which seperate and define cultures...
where would we be sientifically, philosophically (remember aristotle being forced to poison himself with hemlock for denying the gods existance), culturally, historically, etc etc...

play nice.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline troy211619  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2010 03:44:02(UTC)
troy211619

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Empty.
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2010 08:43:06(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Rincewind wrote:
this is not an argument as to weather god does or does not exist.... you can look at this as a world where people never discovered god, or one where they accept that he doesn't exist.... your choice.
this is an argument about what the world would be like without religion and the various different religious beliefs which seperate and define cultures...
where would we be sientifically, philosophically (remember aristotle being forced to poison himself with hemlock for denying the gods existance), culturally, historically, etc etc...

play nice.

Wasn't it Socrates who did that, for "morally corrupting the children of Athens" or something.

But yeah, no religion, I'm sure we'd find something else to kill each other over, we're that that kind of species. But hopefully we'd revel slightly less in ignorance than we do in is current world.
Offline Captain Insano  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2010 11:07:17(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have no idea at all what it would be like...you could probably make an argument for there having been no Crusades, religion inspired terrorism, scientific dark ages, Inquisitions and all that but mankind has hated each other long enough to want to kill each other for other reasons like greed and conquest. Perhaps that there would have been greater advancements in science through the dark ages etc
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2010 11:43:23(UTC)
forkboy

Captain Insano wrote:
I have no idea at all what it would be like...you could probably make an argument for there having been no Crusades, religion inspired terrorism, scientific dark ages, Inquisitions and all that but mankind has hated each other long enough to want to kill each other for other reasons like greed and conquest. Perhaps that there would have been greater advancements in science through the dark ages etc

Well, without religious fanaticism of Emperor Justinian I the Roman/Byzantine Empire would have no justification for the destruction of the Greek schools of philosophy and so much of their knowledge (the abscence of which undoubtedly led at least partially to the Dark Ages). Ditto with the Arabs riding into Alexandria not long after Muhammed died and destroying the single greatest collection of knowledge in the ancient world.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2010 18:08:04(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i think your right..... serves me right for posting withiut really thinking through my example!!

but think about art, so much art is based around religion.... without that to inspire us, what would it be like, would it even exist in a form we would still recognise....
culturally we owe a lot to religion, it helps define a lot of different civilisations, whether we want it to or not. etc etc
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2010 20:27:57(UTC)
forkboy

Yeah, but I'm sure even with out the Roman Catholic Church we'd have found some other rich patron of the arts. Obviously you'd not have lots of famous things of religious icons but sod that man, there'll be lots of other exciting things instead.
Offline Gildermershina  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2010 22:32:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Since the primary source of most conflict in human history has been religion - although it should be noted that it's mostly those darn monotheists and their "YOUR God can't exist, because that would mean that MY God doesn't exist" attitudes - the only thing we know for sure is that religious conflict would be removed. But since religion is almost a proto-science, it's hard to see how you get to any level of civilised society without religion filling in the knowledge gaps for the early civilisations.

So if you're suggesting a world where there never was any religion, I think that's too hard to predict. Could go any number of ways. A world where people had moved past religion is much easier to see, since by that point a universal sense of morality would have become relatively fixed without religious dogma to mess it up.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2010 12:18:06(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
There would be no religion if people never died. So, in a world without religion, nobody would die.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline forkboy  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2010 21:15:37(UTC)
forkboy

What a fucking stupid thing to say.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2010 21:41:49(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Mt. Epic wrote:
There would be no religion if people never died. So, in a world without religion, nobody would die.

Dude go back into your history book. Have you heard of Gods?
Offline Mt. Epic  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2010 16:57:37(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

Dude go back into your history book. Have you heard of Gods?

Now let me explain, i've been reading a lot about this, and i have my conclusion. God only exists from the curiosity of all origins. And the main thing that keeps a belief in god real, is out of fear of no afterlife, and most religious ppl believe in one. Pretty much every religion (i don't count atheism in this next statement) are primarily centered around the god and his blessings and how this life is some sort of test or worship that will be taken onto the next life. Christians have heaven/hell, Jews have heaven, Muslims have something similar to wut christians have, Hindus live their entire lives based on good or bad karma, which they believe ultimately determines their fate after death also, similar to muslims and christians, although muslim's goal is mainly to be kind to nature rather than karma, and christianity is pretty much all of those. Ancient Egptians believed that once u die, ur spirit would go to the Fields of Aaru, and work on the fields for ur protection, and ultimately reach ur reward for an afterlife. Ancient Greeks/Romans believed in similar concepts that the majority of these religions believed in, that is you would be judged upon ur life's goods and bads to gain entrance either to a heavenbound or a hellbound afterlife.

My thoughts from all of this is that, the only reason that religions still prevail is because ppl are scared of their deaths. The only reason why religions have all of these other parts within them is merely support the "you go to heaven when you die" part. and hell was created to make heaven feel like a struggle, so it won't look so easy, thus making it more realistic.

That's why i support my thought of why if we never were to die, there wouldn't be any religion. The only question left to be answered would be how were we created, and that would no longer be a religion, rather a mystery everyone would work together towards finding out, rather than arguing over unproven hypothesises to the points of conflicts and oppression

Edited by user 06 September 2010 16:58:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline TheCDs  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2010 16:48:51(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't believe I am about to use Family Guy to make a point about religion but here it goes. In the episode "Road to the Multiverse" (S8E1) there is a universe where Christianity never existed, so there was no scientific repression. The universe was extremely advanced technologically (Quagmire gets AIDS which he cures with a NyQuil Cold, Flu, and AIDS) however as Brian points out Christianity inspired a ton of Renaissance art. The art is less than inspired. The point is, while religion may have repressed scientific development, it has contributed mightily to our culture.

To say religion causes war is not something I would say correct. Religion itself doesn't cause war, disagreeing with someone's view causes war. At its core, Christians didn't fight Muslims because of their religion, they did it because they didn't believe in the same things. If there was no religion we would just have other beliefs to fight over, and we have done that throughout our history. We fought over government systems (Democracy vs. Communism), land or property, natural resources, and much more.

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#14 Posted : 07 September 2010 18:56:15(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
To say religion causes war is not something I would say correct. Religion itself doesn't cause war, disagreeing with someone's view causes war. At its core, Christians didn't fight Muslims because of their religion, they did it because they didn't believe in the same things. If there was no religion we would just have other beliefs to fight over, and we have done that throughout our history. We fought over government systems (Democracy vs. Communism), land or property, natural resources, and much more.

The difference though is that religion is basically absolute. Either your religion is correct, or it's not. If someone else practices a different religion, there is doubt in your mind, perhaps your religion isn't the true religion (largely talking monotheism here) - but your religion claims that it is. So that means those people of other religions are angering your God and therefore you must stand to his defence. Since we're talking about countries based on fairy fundamental Muslim values vs. countries based on fairly lax Christian values, it's certainly the conflict of ideals, but those ideals are defined so strongly in the culture, in the religion, that they are seemingly immutable.

A political system can be toppled, but religion is too viral, too widespread. It's in the blood of the people, in their history, their cultural bedrock. The major monotheistic religions are, by definition, in opposition to one another because they all claim their particular interpretation of the "one true God" is the only correct one. Without religion, there would still be conflict sure, but there would be no religious conflict (not just talking about war either), and I'm not sure how you can claim religion isn't on some level the root of some substantial portion of armed conflict throughout history.
Offline TheCDs  
#15 Posted : 07 September 2010 19:10:22(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

The difference though is that religion is basically absolute. Either your religion is correct, or it's not. If someone else practices a different religion, there is doubt in your mind, perhaps your religion isn't the true religion (largely talking monotheism here) - but your religion claims that it is. So that means those people of other religions are angering your God and therefore you must stand to his defence. Since we're talking about countries based on fairy fundamental Muslim values vs. countries based on fairly lax Christian values, it's certainly the conflict of ideals, but those ideals are defined so strongly in the culture, in the religion, that they are seemingly immutable.

A political system can be toppled, but religion is too viral, too widespread. It's in the blood of the people, in their history, their cultural bedrock. The major monotheistic religions are, by definition, in opposition to one another because they all claim their particular interpretation of the "one true God" is the only correct one. Without religion, there would still be conflict sure, but there would be no religious conflict (not just talking about war either), and I'm not sure how you can claim religion isn't on some level the root of some substantial portion of armed conflict throughout history.

I never claimed that religion is not the root of a substantial amount armed conflict "on some level." Sure on one level the Crusades were fought over religious differences, but at a more fundamental level they were fought because one side believed in the "wrong" thing. I was responding to the idea that eliminating religion automatically eliminates (or at least severely limits) the outbreak of war. The fundamental basis of war, the disagreement over something, whether it is religion, land ownership, or government doesn't go away with religion. I would argue that a world without religion would not have substantially less armed conflict/war they would just be fought over some other fundamental belief.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2010 19:36:37(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

I never claimed that religion is not the root of a substantial amount armed conflict "on some level." Sure on one level the Crusades were fought over religious differences, but at a more fundamental level they were fought because one side believed in the "wrong" thing. I was responding to the idea that eliminating religion automatically eliminates (or at least severely limits) the outbreak of war. The fundamental basis of war, the disagreement over something, whether it is religion, land ownership, or government doesn't go away with religion. I would argue that a world without religion would not have substantially less armed conflict/war they would just be fought over some other fundamental belief.

But doesn't that require a position that there will always be the same amount of war, and that in removing one cause another will fill its place? That seems like a leap of logic to me. If we had a world without coffee, that doesn't necessarily mean people would wake up in the morning saying "I can't get any work done until I've had my morning caffeine pills."
Offline TheCDs  
#17 Posted : 08 September 2010 02:08:14(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

But doesn't that require a position that there will always be the same amount of war, and that in removing one cause another will fill its place? That seems like a leap of logic to me. If we had a world without coffee, that doesn't necessarily mean people would wake up in the morning saying "I can't get any work done until I've had my morning caffeine pills."

No but it also doesn't mean we wouldn't have something else, like those energy shots like 5 Hour Energy take its place. Really though, most religious wars have had some other ulterior motive other than just killing infidels/non-believers. I don't think it is too much of a leap to say that those reasons would still exist and still cause conflict.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline BlackandSilver  
#18 Posted : 21 September 2010 06:01:42(UTC)
BlackandSilver

Man

I'd imagine there'd just more people focusing on other stuff. Just because there's no religion doesn't mean we have no morals.

I think without religion, we'd still get all the positives that religion gives through other means (culture, community, etc) without the negatives (wars in the name of religion, radicals, etc). Although without faith, I can see there being more suicides than there is now, since I know plenty of people who've had their life turned around solely because they converted to a religion. And it'd probably be much more difficult to get people to have morals. I think back in very early civilization, people were only not killing and raping all day because they were promised with heaven and threatened with hell (or whatever the religion had back then).

It's a really hard concept to think about.
UserPostedImage

Blackandsilver - Hardcore Punk/Crossover Thrash

Alexjess - Lead Vocals
Alhazred - Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals
Ryan - Rhythm Guitar
Lucky - Bass Guitar/Backing Vocals
Justin - Drums
Offline Vnaan  
#19 Posted : 26 November 2010 01:24:36(UTC)
Vnaan

the world would be alot better

Harvesters of Sanity debut album is to be released soon.

Harvesters of Sanity/ Heavy Metal Band

Cody Hamelin: Vocals/Rhythm Guitar
Riley Hest: Lead Guitar
Kyle Brown: Bass Guitar
Jacob Mathews: Drums
Offline MATTT  
#20 Posted : 26 November 2010 02:50:08(UTC)
MATTT

Man

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 99 post(s)
It would be way better then it is now because people wouldn't bitch about trying to convert you and we wouldn't have as many wars because pretty much every war is started because of religion
MY ARTISTS

hindsight.
UserPostedImage