logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

420 Pages«<339340341342343>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#6801 Posted : 10 November 2011 23:49:15(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
My advice would be to stop blocking people going to university and you might not be met with anger. Protests and demonstrations are fine in my mind, but pickets stopping people doing what they do, is a different matter.
UserPostedImage
Offline Raphaela  
#6802 Posted : 10 November 2011 23:58:12(UTC)
Raphaela

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
My point is, the other gates were opened. They just had to walk 10 meters and they'd get to the second gate. Was that really neeeded?
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Rincewind  
#6803 Posted : 11 November 2011 00:04:50(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
the other gates, which you were attempting to picket as well?

what was the picket in aid of anyway?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#6804 Posted : 11 November 2011 00:26:12(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

At first we weren't even close to the other gates. But on the entire time there was at least one gate opened, without any students trying to stop them.

The case began at the University of São Paulo. Ever since a student was killed in campus, the uni signed an alliance with the militar police, so they would walk around on campus, 'keeping people safe'.
Problem was, the cops started to abuse of their power, approach black people, homossexuals and other minorities and put fear on them. What made the whole situation explode, was when three students were smoking pot in campus and the cops came, with more than 4 police car, and tried to take them to the police station, with a lot of force.
Protests happened, and in the end some students ocuppied the rector's building, and spent a couple days in there. On tuesday, over 400 cops (with helicopters, huge vans, etc) invaded the building and used extreme force on the students that were there. Bear in mind that there were 70 students and no one had a gun. A girl was bounded and they heard her screaming for half an hour on a room with cops, pretty much all students were beated down and suffered humilliation. They were arrested and had to be bailed out, or else they'd go to a real jail.
So now other unis of the state are making pickets, protests and everything, to support these students and keep the police out of campus.
I own:

Offline Raphaela  
#6805 Posted : 11 November 2011 00:42:27(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

I own:

Offline Mckenzie-  
#6806 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:09:30(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Speaking of Uni. I have now sent away my UCAS. Have a feeling im going to regret not/picking some Universities.
retired x
Offline genocidal king  
#6807 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:12:34(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Ahhh UCAS forms...the biggest pain in the arse known to man. Where have you applied for mate?
UserPostedImage
Offline Mckenzie-  
#6808 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:24:51(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Ahhh UCAS forms...the biggest pain in the arse known to man. Where have you applied for mate?

They are a fucking nightmare!

Lancaster (not expecting to get it)
Brighton
Stirling
Sussex
Bournemouth

Sorta regretting a few of them now, wish i put Queens down for one.
retired x
Offline genocidal king  
#6809 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:27:04(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Lol. What ones are you regretting? And why?
UserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#6810 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:27:18(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

ok so let me get the chain of events right here..
series of assults and attacks on students on campus property ending in the violent death of one student who was shot to death.
as a result of this the university asks for police patrols to curb said violence.
three students possesing an illegal substance stopped and arrested by police after a random search.
students kick off at this, start protesting so police increase their pressence including riot police
students illegally occupy a building and after a court of law orders them to leave and they refuse, police go in and remove them.

situation is thus even more tense..
now you say the police arrested three people who were smoking pot, which i assume is illegal in Brazil? so what did they expect to happen? if your smoking an illegal narcotic around police, of course you will get arrested. If you ask me they should have been arrested for being stupid idiots. if your going to do something illegal, do it where there are no police!

now as for the threatening behavior and power abuse, i have no idea what Brazilian police are like, so im not going to comment on that at all.
but you say they used unreasonable force to evict the students occupying the building, were you there? they did find molotov cocktails in the building (allegedly) and you don't need a gun to kill someone. The students were arrested because they were breaking the law and the university had probably asked the police to evict them.

as for your picket and protest, if the point wasn't to bar people from the university as you left other gates unpicketed, why block any gates at all? i'd be pissed off at that myself and would probably get into an argument about it!
if you are going to protest and block entrances you have to be prepared for hostile encounters and not be shocked when people disagree with what you are doing!

and im sure as hell you have all lost the big picture that a 24 year old student was shot dead at the university, maybe you should be protesting that instead?
and im just like:
Offline Mckenzie-  
#6811 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:34:26(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Lol. What ones are you regretting? And why?

Lancaster, doubt ill get in there. Id love to go Stirling though, especially for media-related courses!
retired x
Offline genocidal king  
#6812 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:35:33(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Do it! I just graduated from Stirling with honours in journalism. Best 4 years of my life, and what a perfect place to study.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Mckenzie- on 11/11/2011(UTC)
Offline Rincewind  
#6813 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:38:42(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i wouldn't worry about it, back when i was going through UCAS i applied to
Durham
York
Lancaster
Newcastle
Manchester

only got offers from Manchester, Newcastle and Lancaster, you should always put in one or two unreasnoble ones, just in case mate, as you never know!
and im just like:
Offline Mckenzie-  
#6814 Posted : 11 November 2011 02:47:34(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Yeah i was persuaded to go for Lancaster who are looking for AAB. It is going to be tough to get, although i think i may fall short. Stirling would be a great choice for me. I love Brighton though, the university ain't got a great rating, but i love the place!

Looking forward to it though, how long does it take before offers start floating around?
retired x
Offline Raphaela  
#6815 Posted : 11 November 2011 03:05:20(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
ok so let me get the chain of events right here..
series of assults and attacks on students on campus property ending in the violent death of one student who was shot to death.
as a result of this the university asks for police patrols to curb said violence.
three students possesing an illegal substance stopped and arrested by police after a random search.
students kick off at this, start protesting so police increase their pressence including riot police
students illegally occupy a building and after a court of law orders them to leave and they refuse, police go in and remove them.

situation is thus even more tense..
now you say the police arrested three people who were smoking pot, which i assume is illegal in Brazil? so what did they expect to happen? if your smoking an illegal narcotic around police, of course you will get arrested. If you ask me they should have been arrested for being stupid idiots. if your going to do something illegal, do it where there are no police!

now as for the threatening behavior and power abuse, i have no idea what Brazilian police are like, so im not going to comment on that at all.
but you say they used unreasonable force to evict the students occupying the building, were you there? they did find molotov cocktails in the building (allegedly) and you don't need a gun to kill someone. The students were arrested because they were breaking the law and the university had probably asked the police to evict them.

as for your picket and protest, if the point wasn't to bar people from the university as you left other gates unpicketed, why block any gates at all? i'd be pissed off at that myself and would probably get into an argument about it!
if you are going to protest and block entrances you have to be prepared for hostile encounters and not be shocked when people disagree with what you are doing!

and im sure as hell you have all lost the big picture that a 24 year old student was shot dead at the university, maybe you should be protesting that instead?

The situation is a lot deeper than that. In the 60s-70s-80s we had militar dictatorship here in Brazil. During that, the police could do whatever the hell they wanted on campus. Lots of abuses, like searching a person just because he/she is black, male cops searching girls, homossexuals arrested for public indecency just because they were hugging, etc.
Then the students organized protests, specially on the University of São Paulo. The movement started there, moved out to the cities and the government fell.
I don't know if you know anything about Brazilian Dictatorship, but it was REALLY violent against protesters. Anything that happened, could be 10 people sitting somwhere to protest against something, they'd send the cops to repress everything. People were murdered, tortured and disappeared during that time, due to police actions.
At that time, a law was created, the AI-5, that represses any sort of manifestation with force. That law still exists, but after the system fell, police inside campus was made illegal. Seriously, it's in our constitution.
What we see now is something a bit similar. Police exageration, doing the same things they did back on those times, in order of the rector, someone who supported the dictatorship back then. Smoking pot is illegal, but the way the handled the situation showed that they have no skill to deal with it. Cops usually just tell the stoners to fuck off and throws away the joint, no biggie.
While we have like 13 assaults in campus every month, we have hundreds on the neighborhood around. What we don't want is the police force watching our every move. While the government sent 400 well-armed cops from ROTA (sorta like the SWAT in the USA), helicopters, everything, the entire city of São Paulo was getting robbed, raped and murdered on much more places.
About the manifestation here, it lacked organization. We were going to shut all gates, because 300 people said they'd be there and only 80 showed up. Then we saw that it failed mostly for that, some personal political discussion between two of them made it pretty much die.

EDIT: And for the record, the cops never did any good on USP. Where that student was murdered and on other dangerous places, the students rarely see a police vehicle.

Edited by user 11 November 2011 03:11:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I own:

Offline asdf  
#6816 Posted : 11 November 2011 05:53:32(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
aint working a bitch!

i know, so so many games coming out over the next six months that i really really want, but am leaving for france in a week or two, so will have to wait for most of them until may / june next year, by which time my laptop will probably have died and i'll be looking at buying a new alienware one *drools*

on a side note i did really really like parts of AA, but once the plants started taking over it just started to annoy me.. Skryim though looks amazing, and then there is also Mass Effect 3 coming out soon!!

Well, there is no appearance of Poison Ivy in AC, unless you play through the Catwoman side story. And there is no final degrading thing to the world like that either, at the end everything is the same besides a few buildings with holes in them. It's a much more open world sort of game this time around.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Rincewind  
#6817 Posted : 11 November 2011 06:33:15(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

sounds nice :)

do you start with all the stats etc you built up at the end of the last one or is it a fresh start all over again?
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#6818 Posted : 11 November 2011 06:41:23(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
You start out with all of the gadgets that you had at the end of the last game, spare the line launcher. That, and a few new one's you will get over time. You also get all of the "moves" that you had before, but there are new one's this time around as well.

You actually start out as Bruce Wayne getting locked up in AC, you get the suit and everything a few minutes in.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Gildermershina  
#6819 Posted : 13 November 2011 21:30:05(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Okay, so last night I went out drinking with folks from work, except when I say drinking, I was not drinking, they were. So it was kind of weird for me.

A couple of my drunk friends started fighting which was horrible, and then where it went from there was completely outside my wheelhouse, going to this other bar, being in a cramped space with a mixture of people I know and don't know, including a girl that I like, and the whole thing was really weird. For me, this kind of thing is not my natural environment, I was like a fish out of water.

I ended up walking this drunk friend through the south-side of Glasgow to make sure he got home okay. He's a great guy, but I think he over did it, and it all got kind of emotional. Eventually I bundled him into a taxi though.

I think it's fair to say at this point excessive drinking is probably not for me, but at least I was in the company of good people.

On the other hand, I'm getting glasses today, so that should be interesting.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline _Python_  
#6820 Posted : 13 November 2011 21:33:40(UTC)
_Python_

Man
United States

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Damn... One hell of a night. I went to a party with my girlfriend, friends and family, next thing I know everyone is gone and me and my friends are getting jumped by grown ass men. Why the fuck did I have to be born in Crack Central!
UserPostedImage