logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#21 Posted : 29 August 2009 04:03:55(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8226165.stm

Philip Garrido is going to heaven so long as he says "sorry" because he has faith!

Yeah, God's despicable. (As with all posts in this thread unless I state otherwords I'm throwing out my belief that there is no God and just assuming there is for the sake of chuckles)

God's despicable because you say he is, yet you deny others their right of opinion, making excuses like he murdered so-and-so, or he did this or that. I for one have the greatest respect and awe for God, even if I wasn't saved, I wouldn't go around saying he's despicable just because I know why he did all of those things and have no ill-will towards any of it.

Where have I denied people their opinion? You are free to worship who you want and I am free to mock you for those beliefs, such is a free society. You in turn are allowed to mock my lack of beliefs. I deny peoples opinions are right, but where on earth have I ever tried to stop people holding those beliefs, except by trying to educate the tragically ill-informed. Well yes, if you weren't "saved" then I don't see how you can excuse God for all the foul acts he has perpetrated, encouraged and had commited in his name.

And I mean really the utter farce of the Abrahamic God is the idea that he created humans, gave us free will but told us not to use it. I mean really, what was the point of that except a petty streak?
Offline sharinganerror  
#22 Posted : 29 August 2009 04:15:39(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
wrong raph, if he REPENTS he'll go to heaven. That means turn from sin in every way, but we all know and God knows that because we are man, it is impossible to complete this task. It's written in the Bible that God knows our hearts intentions and couldn't give a shit about our minds. If what our heart wants is to be forgiven, and is willing to turn from sin despite knowing it cannot, he will forgive us.

Of course, this is contradictory, because well, our intentions are formed in our mind. I mean the heart is merely a metaphor, all it is in reality is a muscle that pumps blood around our body. If we want to be forgiven then no matter what our crime then we will be forgiven, apparently. I mean there are plenty of cases of murderers, rapists and other individuals feeling genuinely regretful for their acts. That doesn't stop their acts from being appalling.

It's how we act that should matter in a moral society. And we should act morally because to act immorally affects other people in a negative way. That's how I live my life. Treat others as I'd want them to treat me. And why? Because I want them to treat me with respect. And so I live a reasonably moral life simply because it's the right thing to do, not because of some mystical threats.

You think I don't know that it's a metaphor, I believe everyone born before 1994 that has gotten a decent education and upbringing knows the general idea. I'm not an idiot like the rest of most of the current teenage population in america, trust me. I wouldn't even dare associating myself with those mental retards. I never said we ourselves should forgive and forget what sins are commited by others, after all with forgiveness comes punishment. I understand and agree with all of your points, I'm just saying that God helps others who can't help themselves, don't go around saying otherwise because barely anyone is just like you. God doesn't generally threat, he mainly warns, the only time God threats is when he's pissed off at you. Which very rare considering he loves everyone of his because we are his children, he loves us like our parents and only wants the best for us. Sadly, like a parent, he has to discipline us, so we should all stop acting like spoiled brats and fucking behave.

Edited by user 29 August 2009 04:17:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sharinganerror  
#23 Posted : 29 August 2009 04:24:51(UTC)
sharinganerror

forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Philip Garrido is going to heaven so long as he says "sorry" because he has faith!

Yeah, God's despicable. (As with all posts in this thread unless I state otherwords I'm throwing out my belief that there is no God and just assuming there is for the sake of chuckles)

God's despicable because you say he is, yet you deny others their right of opinion, making excuses like he murdered so-and-so, or he did this or that. I for one have the greatest respect and awe for God, even if I wasn't saved, I wouldn't go around saying he's despicable just because I know why he did all of those things and have no ill-will towards any of it.

Where have I denied people their opinion? You are free to worship who you want and I am free to mock you for those beliefs, such is a free society. You in turn are allowed to mock my lack of beliefs. I deny peoples opinions are right, but where on earth have I ever tried to stop people holding those beliefs, except by trying to educate the tragically ill-informed. Well yes, if you weren't "saved" then I don't see how you can excuse God for all the foul acts he has perpetrated, encouraged and had commited in his name.

And I mean really the utter farce of the Abrahamic God is the idea that he created humans, gave us free will but told us not to use it. I mean really, what was the point of that except a petty streak?

Dude, it may seem hard to you, but I'm not so high strung and sensitive towards God than you. I can excuse God's act because of free will, nobody has to say anything about that basic principle. God made us an experiment, just like any successful creator of something worthwhile, he loved what he had created. But he anticipated that his creation would eventually fail, so he let it and told it that it would have live the rest of it's life to correct what it had done.
Offline Aj  
#24 Posted : 30 August 2009 08:42:21(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Dude, it may seem hard to you, but I'm not so high strung and sensitive towards God than you. I can excuse God's act because of free will, nobody has to say anything about that basic principle. God made us an experiment, just like any successful creator of something worthwhile, he loved what he had created. But he anticipated that his creation would eventually fail, so he let it and told it that it would have live the rest of it's life to correct what it had done.

Forkboy you depress me greatly. Whenever I read a post of yours I'm filled with overwhelming sadness at there being no heigher purpose :(

Shame your wrong, I guess. :P

Sharringanerror, how can you prove your god is real? How can you prove that your bible is the truth? You can't, nothing you can say can prove it. Therefore you simply live a life blindfolded in the ignorant and mindless hope that you shall be saved by what has been written by people you do not even know. God created the universe - an infinatly expanding masterpiece with billions upon billions upon billions of stars, planets, galaxys. God created EVERYTHING. Every single thing in this universe is derived from whatever this god is.

And you want to explain it with a book and a few chants inside a pretty building.
Offline forkboy  
#25 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:03:47(UTC)
forkboy

Aj wrote:
Forkboy you depress me greatly. Whenever I read a post of yours I'm filled with overwhelming sadness at there being no heigher purpose :(

It's already been proven time and time again, I'm never wrong ;)

On a slightly more serious note, there's plenty of higher purpose if you choose to give it to yourself. I mean from a cold biological purpose, yeah, we exist for nothing more than to spread our genes, that's it. But because of the particular creatures we are, and the degree of intelligence and awareness that we possess and others appear not to, we can give purpose to ourselves. Hence why we set goals in life to give life meaning, we can aim to help other people who are impoverished, to strive for the better of all humanity, not to mention personal goals such as going to university, getting a pay rise, etc etc. Really the idea that life has no meaning is pretty far from the truth, life has all the meaning that we give it.

Besides, I think there's something pretty meaningful in the thought that we all ultimately come from the same single cellular organism, way back in time. And by we I mean all multi-celled life. That's pretty powerful to me.
Offline Aj  
#26 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:17:17(UTC)
Aj

Man

forkboy wrote:
Aj wrote:

It's already been proven time and time again, I'm never wrong ;)

On a slightly more serious note, there's plenty of higher purpose if you choose to give it to yourself. I mean from a cold biological purpose, yeah, we exist for nothing more than to spread our genes, that's it. But because of the particular creatures we are, and the degree of intelligence and awareness that we possess and others appear not to, we can give purpose to ourselves. Hence why we set goals in life to give life meaning, we can aim to help other people who are impoverished, to strive for the better of all humanity, not to mention personal goals such as going to university, getting a pay rise, etc etc. Really the idea that life has no meaning is pretty far from the truth, life has all the meaning that we give it.

Besides, I think there's something pretty meaningful in the thought that we all ultimately come from the same single cellular organism, way back in time. And by we I mean all multi-celled life. That's pretty powerful to me.

Oh yeah, I agree, I'm all for science until it comes to the Big Bang, which is where shit starts to get a lil bit fishy.

I agree with evoloution and all that but I believe there is something that started it all off. Which is an undeniable fact. There had to be something to start it off. I don't think it's a concious being, at least not in our mind's. It's just something that did it. And that doubt is what intrigues me and gives me a sense of realitly. I suppose I'm quite reliegeos when I think about it.
Offline Thorgrim  
#27 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:31:42(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

I dunno about God, but I do know that this man is alright:

UserPostedImage

Fuck religion, all hail The Shat.
Offline forkboy  
#28 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:32:03(UTC)
forkboy

Of course something started it. It's impossible to know what caused the Big Bang really. I mean by it's very nature, it's a case of something coming from nothing. But if I can believe that we have evolved from a single shared ancestor then I can believe that the Big Bang just "happened".
Offline Aj  
#29 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:40:55(UTC)
Aj

Man

forkboy wrote:
Of course something started it. It's impossible to know what caused the Big Bang really. I mean by it's very nature, it's a case of something coming from nothing. But if I can believe that we have evolved from a single shared ancestor then I can believe that the Big Bang just "happened".

Yeah, but not as in something as in atoms and molecules, but something more. Or maybe something less, I dont know. I just think it was something deeper than just a scientific reaction. Or maybe science is god.

I don't know maan. Shit happens. I just think that shit happens for a REASON, rather than shit occuring because shit want's to occur. Like, you go for a dump because you've eaten food, you don't just go for a dump. But without that food being there the whole process would never have occured in the first place.

My point is, the dump is the big bang - it couldn't have just happened without eating the food first, so there must have been SOME food to eat before the universe decided to be shitted out of god's arse

:D

My opinion, anyway :P
Offline forkboy  
#30 Posted : 30 August 2009 10:51:23(UTC)
forkboy

Impossible to ever know for definite. Speculating about it is what's pointless.

And sure, something happens to make something happen. Maybe another universe collapsed and caused this universe to come into existance. I mean the way you are using the term god is pretty much the loosest way imaginable. It's impossible to realistically argue for or against that concept. I merely stick to focusing on disproving concepts that do exist and seem farcical.
Offline Aj  
#31 Posted : 30 August 2009 21:08:41(UTC)
Aj

Man

forkboy wrote:
Impossible to ever know for definite. Speculating about it is what's pointless.

And sure, something happens to make something happen. Maybe another universe collapsed and caused this universe to come into existance. I mean the way you are using the term god is pretty much the loosest way imaginable. It's impossible to realistically argue for or against that concept. I merely stick to focusing on disproving concepts that do exist and seem farcical.

Well okay, look at this way, I'm saying that God is what started it off. I don't think he chose to start off, I just think 'god' happened, which caused everything else to happen. But I don't think it's as simple as a few molecules colliding, which I do think is what happened :P I dont know how to explain it... Okay basically, there was this THING, and it didn't just decide to cause the molecules to collide it just did. And throughout time and the universe, this THING has constintly adjusted and caused natural happenings so that life could be formed and is sustainable. But it's never just openly saved us, it does it through the way of extinctions and then re-populations, ice ages and meteor strikes and stuff like that. But I'm talking about on a universal scale. This THING isn't stuck to our galaxy, it's everywhere. It's not concious, its just there and it causes everything to work. Thats what I was trying to get it. The THING could well be science, or it could be some strange force we haven't discovered yet. I don't know. I just think before anything could have happeend, this THING had to pave the way, kinda =/ If ya get me =/
Offline forkboy  
#32 Posted : 31 August 2009 01:20:48(UTC)
forkboy

I understand what you are saying but really what you are doing is taking whatever caused the universe to start and just calling it God. And although I feel that that is a bit wet and soft and pandering to the religious, I can't really argue against it in any compelling way.

But then you go and say that this god has interfered in human life since then, or in life on other planets and so on, and then you lose me because there is utterly no proof that the laws of physics (which can account for asteroids hitting planets) or the meterology of this planet which can account for the existance of ice ages, and a combination of varying factors which are responisble for ELEs and so forth changed in order to . The reason they happened is because the fundamental mathematical laws of the universe don't change. If someone sat in a bubble 4.5 billion years ago and watched the solar system form they could have with enough time and a decent understanding in physics and enough observations of asteroids, and exact measurements of the composition of the earths atmosphere and so forth they would be able to predict them occuring, much like with enough data we can predict accurately when a Venusian transit of the sun will occur. The basic fundamental laws do not change.
Offline Gildermershina  
#33 Posted : 31 August 2009 02:43:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
But then you go and say that this god has interfered in human life since then, or in life on other planets and so on, and then you lose me because there is utterly no proof that the laws of physics (which can account for asteroids hitting planets) or the meterology of this planet which can account for the existance of ice ages, and a combination of varying factors which are responisble for ELEs and so forth changed in order to . The reason they happened is because the fundamental mathematical laws of the universe don't change. If someone sat in a bubble 4.5 billion years ago and watched the solar system form they could have with enough time and a decent understanding in physics and enough observations of asteroids, and exact measurements of the composition of the earths atmosphere and so forth they would be able to predict them occuring, much like with enough data we can predict accurately when a Venusian transit of the sun will occur. The basic fundamental laws do not change.

Yes, determinism.

A pet hate of mine is how people use the word random so glibly. Random has to be reserved for something beyond predictions by the human mind. Strictly speaking nothing is random because everything obeys rules, but as long as it is outwith human perception it can be described as random. But humour is not random. Sometimes something is funny for reasons beyond our understanding, but the fact that you thought of it in your brain means you're at least following some instinctual knowledge of the laws of humour - juxtaposition of opposing elements or whatever.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I think this applies to any notion of God. A higher power, that is larger than the systems which govern the universe, systems which on some level tend towards intelligent life, are inevitably unknowable by anything within those systems. If you look at string theory, an overlapping four dimensional universe is described as being imperceptible and inconceivable in the same way that a 2-dimensional being would not be able to look outward into a third dimension, so any objects would simply appear as straight lines of 0 width. Interestingly enough, a 2 dimensional being would also have to have a 2 way digestive system because a 1 way system would go all the way through the creature's body dividing it into two. But we can read 2 dimensional information, in the same way a 4 dimensional being in a 4 dimensional universe would be able to read 3 dimensional information.

So if there is a consciousness with intent, of any description, that exists beyond the confines of our universe (as it would have to in order to create this universe), it's entirely possible, even likely, that no being in this universe could ever even begin to comprehend the nature of it.

As for whether consciousness itself is a function of this higher power, whether the "spark" of life is an additional external force, well, maybe that means we're all connected to this higher power in some way.

As for the Christian God, I look at it this way: if the Bible weren't the official text of the Christian Church, they'd ban it for its depiction of extreme violence, genocide, rape, murder, torture, not to mention all the pagan rituals and supernatural elements like resurrection and miraculous healing. The Bible is only given the weight it's given because it's so old, and has become so ingrained in western culture. When you actually read it objectively and without agenda, God seems like a tyrannical dickhead using "do what I say not what I do" as an excuse for behaviour which would apparently grant us poor humans a ticket to hell. Not to mention the ridiculous U-turn he takes in the New Testament. It surprises me that people haven't surmised that the two are not only different Gods, but that perhaps one of them is the Devil in disguise tempting mankind away from the true path with a less strict doctrine.

Also, a tin teardrop.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline sharinganerror  
#34 Posted : 01 September 2009 01:46:52(UTC)
sharinganerror

Aj wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Sharringanerror, how can you prove your god is real? How can you prove that your bible is the truth? You can't, nothing you can say can prove it. Therefore you simply live a life blindfolded in the ignorant and mindless hope that you shall be saved by what has been written by people you do not even know. God created the universe - an infinatly expanding masterpiece with billions upon billions upon billions of stars, planets, galaxys. God created EVERYTHING. Every single thing in this universe is derived from whatever this god is.

And you want to explain it with a book and a few chants inside a pretty building.

Now this is really stupid, there is no way of proving that God doesn't exist, there's no way of proving that there isn't an afterlife. there's no concrete way of proving evolution exists, there's no way of proving any idealogy or god exists. You may mock and question my belief, only because you believe something different, I don't attack evolution because I don't feel the need to act like I'm smarter than any particular religious group to make my miniscule existence any better. The question of this topic was if God was "alright" it had nothing to do with his existence.
Offline sharinganerror  
#35 Posted : 01 September 2009 01:49:18(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Yes, determinism.

A pet hate of mine is how people use the word random so glibly. Random has to be reserved for something beyond predictions by the human mind. Strictly speaking nothing is random because everything obeys rules, but as long as it is outwith human perception it can be described as random. But humour is not random. Sometimes something is funny for reasons beyond our understanding, but the fact that you thought of it in your brain means you're at least following some instinctual knowledge of the laws of humour - juxtaposition of opposing elements or whatever.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I think this applies to any notion of God. A higher power, that is larger than the systems which govern the universe, systems which on some level tend towards intelligent life, are inevitably unknowable by anything within those systems. If you look at string theory, an overlapping four dimensional universe is described as being imperceptible and inconceivable in the same way that a 2-dimensional being would not be able to look outward into a third dimension, so any objects would simply appear as straight lines of 0 width. Interestingly enough, a 2 dimensional being would also have to have a 2 way digestive system because a 1 way system would go all the way through the creature's body dividing it into two. But we can read 2 dimensional information, in the same way a 4 dimensional being in a 4 dimensional universe would be able to read 3 dimensional information.

So if there is a consciousness with intent, of any description, that exists beyond the confines of our universe (as it would have to in order to create this universe), it's entirely possible, even likely, that no being in this universe could ever even begin to comprehend the nature of it.

As for whether consciousness itself is a function of this higher power, whether the "spark" of life is an additional external force, well, maybe that means we're all connected to this higher power in some way.

As for the Christian God, I look at it this way: if the Bible weren't the official text of the Christian Church, they'd ban it for its depiction of extreme violence, genocide, rape, murder, torture, not to mention all the pagan rituals and supernatural elements like resurrection and miraculous healing. The Bible is only given the weight it's given because it's so old, and has become so ingrained in western culture. When you actually read it objectively and without agenda, God seems like a tyrannical dickhead using "do what I say not what I do" as an excuse for behaviour which would apparently grant us poor humans a ticket to hell. Not to mention the ridiculous U-turn he takes in the New Testament. It surprises me that people haven't surmised that the two are not only different Gods, but that perhaps one of them is the Devil in disguise tempting mankind away from the true path with a less strict doctrine.

Also, a tin teardrop.

at least there are intelligent people who look at both sides of the argument...
Offline Gildermershina  
#36 Posted : 01 September 2009 03:14:42(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

sharinganerror wrote:
Now this is really stupid, there is no way of proving that God doesn't exist, there's no way of proving that there isn't an afterlife. there's no concrete way of proving evolution exists, there's no way of proving any idealogy or god exists. You may mock and question my belief, only because you believe something different, I don't attack evolution because I don't feel the need to act like I'm smarter than any particular religious group to make my miniscule existence any better. The question of this topic was if God was "alright" it had nothing to do with his existence.

Actually, the definition of proof is not what you think it is. Proof is arrived at by testing various criteria until a verifiable solution emerges. Proof is not absolute, but it is objective. In the case of evolution, there is overwhelming scientific evidence that is taken as true by the vast majority of the scientific community, and based on this evidence, further criteria are tested and further information gained. In the case of God, there is nothing that can be tested, aside from the legitimacy of the Bible as a historical record - which is hard to do when it contains so many conflicting accounts of the same events.

You can attack evolution all you like, but evolution is not solely based on an ancient book, but over 150 years of continuous science. It is the best existing model because of how extensively it has been tested, whereas "Intelligent Design" is untestable and therefore does not qualify as science. Just because you choose not to believe rational science, doesn't mean your opinion is equally as valid.
Offline sharinganerror  
#37 Posted : 01 September 2009 03:20:38(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:

Actually, the definition of proof is not what you think it is. Proof is arrived at by testing various criteria until a verifiable solution emerges. Proof is not absolute, but it is objective. In the case of evolution, there is overwhelming scientific evidence that is taken as true by the vast majority of the scientific community, and based on this evidence, further criteria are tested and further information gained. In the case of God, there is nothing that can be tested, aside from the legitimacy of the Bible as a historical record - which is hard to do when it contains so many conflicting accounts of the same events.

You can attack evolution all you like, but evolution is not solely based on an ancient book, but over 150 years of continuous science. It is the best existing model because of how extensively it has been tested, whereas "Intelligent Design" is untestable and therefore does not qualify as science. Just because you choose not to believe rational science, doesn't mean your opinion is equally as valid.

Who said I was attacking evolution, I was pointing out that it never will become fact, along with the Bible, there will always be a debate of the legitimacy of the two, because there will always be two people who can't agree on both. The Bible is based on a Millennia of history, regardless of what you compare it too, who are you to say your source of history is any more accurate? Anyone who could've proven it is already dead. In the end, science will continue to try to make evolution law and fail, despite there being "evidence" which might as well be just as inaccurate, has science ever taken over 150 years to try and make a theory law? I'd believe any law they established as law took alot of less time to do. It just seems to me that science will try to use anything mildly related to the theory in a sad attempt they've been repeating for too long. Christianity has just believed everything the Bible says, without demanding any further evidence, so go ahead and question it's legitimacy. Just don't go saying evolution is any more true.

Edited by user 01 September 2009 03:38:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline forkboy  
#38 Posted : 01 September 2009 06:48:59(UTC)
forkboy

sharinganerror wrote:

Who said I was attacking evolution, I was pointing out that it never will become fact

Well that's funny because 99.5% of the scientific community disagrees with you. Evolution is a solid, evidence based scientific theory. The great thing with scientific theories is that they aren't written into two tablets of stone on a mountain and so they are flexible and adaptable. Perhaps evolution is entirely wrong. But there's very few legitamate scientific doubts at this moment in time, instead the doubts in bring "faith". And faith by it's very nature is untestable, it's unquantifiable, it involves in believing in something that has no evidence. Which certainly goes against everything I believe in.
Offline Gildermershina  
#39 Posted : 01 September 2009 07:42:35(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

sharinganerror wrote:
Just don't go saying evolution is any more true.

But it is more true, by the scientific standard of truth, evolution is more true by virtue of its having been tested. The Bible is taken to be true by some, but when tested it largely appears false, which either means the entire basis of scientific reason right down to its foundations in mathematics is wrong, or a Book cobbled together by a Roman Emperor and kept in a dead language unreadable by the masses for centuries by a genocidal empire is wrong.

In other words your argument suggests that, since gravity cannot be 100% explained, it might not really exist and is therefore only as plausible as Noah fitting multiples of every terrestrial or aerial species created by God onto a single boat along with enough food, water, and above all else adequate separation between predator and prey.
Offline forkboy  
#40 Posted : 01 September 2009 07:47:51(UTC)
forkboy

Yeah, I mean the gravity point is a very good one. Creationists like to harp on about how gravity is some proven law that can't be improved upon and evolution is "just" a theory. Well, lets not forget that gravity as a theory has been improved upon many times since the days of Newton and we still don't know what actually gives mass (and thus causes gravity) to particles.