logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sharinganerror  
#41 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:14:47(UTC)
sharinganerror

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:

Who said I was attacking evolution, I was pointing out that it never will become fact

Well that's funny because 99.5% of the scientific community disagrees with you. Evolution is a solid, evidence based scientific theory. The great thing with scientific theories is that they aren't written into two tablets of stone on a mountain and so they are flexible and adaptable. Perhaps evolution is entirely wrong. But there's very few legitimate scientific doubts at this moment in time, instead the doubts in bring "faith". And faith by it's very nature is untestable, it's unquantifiable, it involves in believing in something that has no evidence. Which certainly goes against everything I believe in.

You said it. I fucking spell checked it. Hmm, what's this? FAITH? BELIEF?
Offline forkboy  
#42 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:19:01(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
There's a difference in believing something you can see and feel with your own eyes and hands and 2,000 years worth of bullshit and hearsay my friend. Not even remotely comparable.
Offline sharinganerror  
#43 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:19:14(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
Just don't go saying evolution is any more true.

But it is more true, by the scientific standard of truth, evolution is more true by virtue of its having been tested. The Bible is taken to be true by some, but when tested it largely appears false, which either means the entire basis of scientific reason right down to its foundations in mathematics is wrong, or a Book cobbled together by a Roman Emperor and kept in a dead language unreadable by the masses for centuries by a genocidal empire is wrong.

In other words your argument suggests that, since gravity cannot be 100% explained, it might not really exist and is therefore only as plausible as Noah fitting multiples of every terrestrial or aerial species created by God onto a single boat along with enough food, water, and above all else adequate separation between predator and prey.

First of all, all that I'm reading: 1.Where the fuck are you getting your information from, Richard Dawkins or some other guy atheist tend to stupidly follow without question? I'm not going to believe it just because YOU say it was "tested" 2. Heck Yes.
Offline sharinganerror  
#44 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:22:18(UTC)
sharinganerror

forkboy wrote:
There's a difference in believing something you can see and feel with your own eyes and hands and 2,000 years worth of bullshit and hearsay my friend. Not even remotely comparable.

WTF, man one thing, If you can't see it and you can't feel then that means it doesn't exist, protons are not visible by the naked eye, nor is jupiter from earth. We use tools for knowledge, you use a microscope-telescope and for guidance we use the Bible.
Offline sharinganerror  
#45 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:23:37(UTC)
sharinganerror

forkboy wrote:
Yeah, I mean the gravity point is a very good one. Creationists like to harp on about how gravity is some proven law that can't be improved upon and evolution is "just" a theory. Well, lets not forget that gravity as a theory has been improved upon many times since the days of Newton and we still don't know what actually gives mass (and thus causes gravity) to particles.

Therefore you do not know what evolution really is and still cannot find concrete evidence in particular to a certain theory based on it.
Offline Rincewind  
#46 Posted : 01 September 2009 10:04:39(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
here is evolution for you laid out in a scientific and understandable way.....

much more easy to believe than a big man with a massive beard who lives on a cloud and as basicly the superpowers of every single marval comic book character ever!!!

http://www.talkorigins.o...s/horses/horse_evol.html
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#47 Posted : 01 September 2009 10:11:16(UTC)
forkboy

sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

WTF, man one thing, If you can't see it and you can't feel then that means it doesn't exist, protons are not visible by the naked eye, nor is jupiter from earth. We use tools for knowledge, you use a microscope-telescope and for guidance we use the Bible.

Well, seeing and feeling wasn't an exact statement, more a metaphor. We can prove the existence of the proton, and quarks, and so forth, by prescise mathematics, it is therefore known as observable. It's all about the evidence. There are thousands and thousands of examples in the fossil record of real identifiable evolution. No, we haven't directly observed evolution happening, because we have only been around as a species for a minute amount of time in a geological sense, and our average lifespan is meagre as well, not even a blink of an eyelid.

And you and your creationist friends need to look up the definition of the word theory incidentally. Really frustrating that. The theory of gravity is a theory but you don't go questioning that. Theory is something that has been tried and tested by many, many scientists, peer-reviewed, and gone over until people are in agreement that the vast majority of evidence is pointing that this is the most likely explanation for whatever the theory is saying.

And yes, I mean I'm using the word believe, but in an entirely different way to how you use it. See, science knows it isn't infallible, isn't perfect. Future developments, like say Einstein's work on general relativity and the way it changed Newton's work. Or how many great scientists used to believe that space was full of a gas, the aether. It was used to describe the vacuum of space. Or the great Lord Kelvin, a 19th century Scottish physicist. He put the earths age at between 20 & 40 million years, and thus decided Darwin was wrong because evolution as supposed by him couldn't have happened in such a short time. Darwin saw this too and suggested 3-400 million years. Of course now we're pretty damn confident thanks to the various new technologies that it's about 4.5 billion years, whcih gives Darwin's (& the often forgotten Wallace) theory plenty of time. So when I'm saying believe I mean "science knows that this is the best

The point I'm making is that science changes thanks to the advances in technology. It's not 2000 years of dogma that can't changes. Science knows that what the evidence says today might change tomorrow because of advances in our ability to understand the world around us. Science changes. It's like moraltiy changes, and is why basing the morality of society on a book where parts are nearly 5,000 years old is fucking stupid. We no longer view stoning to death a justifiable punishment. Most humans tend to view state sponspored murder as fucking despicable by this point.
Offline Gildermershina  
#48 Posted : 01 September 2009 11:22:22(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)

Edited by user 01 September 2009 11:23:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#49 Posted : 02 September 2009 00:01:09(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Offline herrfische777  
#50 Posted : 03 September 2009 03:19:13(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Raphaela wrote:
asdf wrote:
Thats is quite untrue. If you repent ask for forgiveness, there is not a sin in the world that will not be forgiven. The criminal on the cross next to Jesus was the first example of this. He had done many bad things, but repented to Jesus and Jesus told him that he would see him in Heaven. The other criminal spat in Jesus' face and a crow landed on his cross and pecked his eyes out. "Ask and you'll be given, seek and you will find."

So if a guy rapes and kills 10 women in his life, but accepts Jesus later on, he'll go to heaven.
And I'll go to hell for being an atheist and never accepting Jesus in my life.
Now that's fair.

Well said and a damn fair point although I don't believe in Hell either
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Featuring the following bunch of freaks:

Chris 'Herr Fische' Fisher: Vocals/Keyboards/Piano etc
Paul 'Foetus' Fisher: Multi Instrumentalist/Electric Wizard/Audio Abuse
Kii Kii Lii: Lead Guitar/Sitars/Background Vocals
Thomas 'TomTom' Thompson: Rythym Guitars/All other stringed instruments
Mr Unknown: Bass Guitar/ Double Bass/Background Vocals
Brenda Hatch: Drums/Drum Machines/Percussion

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline herrfische777  
#51 Posted : 03 September 2009 03:23:42(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

WTF, man one thing, If you can't see it and you can't feel then that means it doesn't exist, protons are not visible by the naked eye, nor is jupiter from earth.

Just had to point this you to you. Jupiter can be seen from Earth. It's at its brightest at the moment here in Britain.
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline forkboy  
#52 Posted : 03 September 2009 03:25:45(UTC)
forkboy

Hah, with the way you sorted out the quote, I was baffled as to why the fuck I said that jupiter wasn't visible from earth to the naked eye :-D
Offline herrfische777  
#53 Posted : 03 September 2009 03:53:58(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

forkboy wrote:
Hah, with the way you sorted out the quote, I was baffled as to why the fuck I said that jupiter wasn't visible from earth to the naked eye :-D

No problem. Just needed to point that out. I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to astronomy!!
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline Gildermershina  
#54 Posted : 03 September 2009 04:51:57(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

I object to the concept that the Bible is some kind of tool, unless you mean to prop up a table with one leg too short. The microscope allows us to see things that are very small through an easily understandable principle called magnification. The Bible is a book that allows you to choose to believe in what it says. The only way they'd be the same is if the way a microscope worked was that you picked it up and said "dear Mr. Microscope, please tell me what this plant cell looks like, and I will believe you."
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline blueothello  
#55 Posted : 04 October 2009 19:33:27(UTC)
blueothello

I've Mostly Thought Of God Has.

A.) A Guy Who Overwatches The Game Of Life. You May Say "Oh That's Cruel That He Lets Innocent People Die." but If You Think About It. Those Innocent People Goto Heaven. A Place FAR better then Earth. So Maybe There Death Does it Into A Grand Scheme Which In Turn Causes Another Person Prosperity Or Something As Such.
Offline blueothello  
#56 Posted : 04 October 2009 19:37:27(UTC)
blueothello

herrfische777 wrote:
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:

WTF, man one thing, If you can't see it and you can't feel then that means it doesn't exist, protons are not visible by the naked eye, nor is jupiter from earth.

Just had to point this you to you. Jupiter can be seen from Earth. It's at its brightest at the moment here in Britain.

So Lets Say A Guy Gets In An Automobile Accident. His Left Arm Is Rendered Useless. 2 Months Later He Bumps Into A Desk But Doesn't Feel It. Does It Exist. Also Pictures Can Be Photoshopped. So Seeing Isn't Always Believing. With All The Illusions Possible With Today's Technology Believing Is Based On Preference More Then Ever.
Offline Taylr  
#57 Posted : 04 October 2009 19:44:21(UTC)
Taylr

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 73 post(s)
blueothello wrote:

A.) A Guy Who Overwatches The Game Of Life. You May Say "Oh That's Cruel That He Lets Innocent People Die." but If You Think About It. Those Innocent People Goto Heaven. A Place FAR better then Earth. So Maybe There Death Does it Into A Grand Scheme Which In Turn Causes Another Person Prosperity Or Something As Such.

Calm Down On The Caps Man!
Offline blueothello  
#58 Posted : 04 October 2009 19:47:55(UTC)
blueothello

Taylr wrote:
blueothello wrote:

I Know Its Become A Habit Since I've Been Typing Like This Due To A Bet. The Bets Long Gone But My Ring Finger Hits The Shift Auto. It Seems To Piss People Off But I Really Don't See Why.
Offline Taylr  
#59 Posted : 04 October 2009 19:56:06(UTC)
Taylr

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 73 post(s)
blueothello wrote:
Taylr wrote:
blueothello wrote:

I Know Its Become A Habit Since I've Been Typing Like This Due To A Bet. The Bets Long Gone But My Ring Finger Hits The Shift Auto. It Seems To Piss People Off But I Really Don't See Why.

Because it's incorrect grammar.
Offline blueothello  
#60 Posted : 04 October 2009 21:18:37(UTC)
blueothello

Taylr wrote:
blueothello wrote:
Taylr wrote:
blueothello wrote:

Because it's incorrect grammar.

I'm OK With People Telling Me "That's Incorrect Grammar." But It Really Gets Kind Of Unnerving That People Sometimes(on Other Forums And Such) Order Me To Speak A Certain Way. Its Not Like This Is Hurting Anybody. I Spell The Words Right And Everything But People Still Feel A Need To Criticize Me? I'll Probably Phase Out Of This In A While But Its Becoming More And More A Way To Rebellion.