logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mt. Epic  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2010 11:32:24(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
What do you believe when you die? I am personally over the past 2 days have been frightened by the idea of death. I, as an atheist, believe I will simply die and that's all. But I'm not the average atheist, I do believe that possibly there is a god, cuz how else do we exist? So why not have an afterlife? And I've been trying to agree with this point lately, to the point where I would force myself to, but I just can't see the point. I have thrown up today, due to the anxiety. I finally couldn't take it no longer, and talked to my father about this issue, and for the first time, about me being a atheist. In the past, he had talked to me about several mature issues, just to, well, talk, and some of those conversations hadproved that christianity/judaism might be right with examples like when he visited Moscow or St. Petersburg, I forget, a nun came up to him and told him that his grandmother (my great grandmother) was doing fine in heaven. I'm a little skeptical about that fact, but whatever, I'm very very vulnerable right now. I was surprised with my father's response. He is the smartest man I know. Very humble, very calm, tranquill, a lot in his brain, very very genius man. And he said that he too believes that his life will end with no afterlife whatsoever. I'm in disbelief. He later saw my dismay, and said that he truly doesn't know, he too believes in a god to some extent, not the tradionally believed version like I do, but whether or not he believes in a heaven or hell is something he too doesn't know. I'm so sad and depressed right now. Just knowing the fact that one day, there's simply going to be nothing left of me. And it's something very very hard to imagine, and I can't even get this out of my mind. This is the only thing I have thought about in the last few days, non-stop. I'm literally at suicidal stage, because I just want to know already what happens. I can't live with this knowledge in my mind, that either I'll be living a happy continuation, or if I'll just disappear forever and ever. I can support both sides fairly well, but I just want one decision. Please, if you really are clever and genius in this, just simply tell me. Only for those who are really going to talk seriously and have something to say. I'm very scared and depressed right now. Although I understand that my life is pointless and really means nothing, I'm still very frightened at the fact that I will just vanish from existance. Please tell me.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Paradox  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2010 11:57:08(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Well, you as a person should choose what your life means and nothing afterwards should matter. In the other words, you cant do anything about your afterlife so do something about your life. As cheesy as that sounds.
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Synxhard  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2010 12:13:40(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
This is exactly why religion has been so dominant since human kind first emerged. People are fearful and confused and desperately want answers, so they create stories to explain the unknown and reassure themselves. Some people use this fear to their advantage and create "religious" beliefs that are really just them convincing others that their prejudices and biased opinions are true. Of course, this is all just my opinion. And if you think about it, you shouldn't want to kill yourself over it, cause if you die and there really is no afterlife, than you've just thrown your whole life away, and if there is, then congratulations, you've discovered the answer to life after death, yet you've still thrown your life away. Eventually, everyone will die, so like Paradox was saying, enjoy life while you have it, cause killing yourself is just a faster way to answer your question, when you'll find the answer anyways later in life. And by the way, being non-religious yet still believing in an afterlife or being open to opinions is called being agnostic.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2010 12:41:05(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

I understand, it's just, the pain is so strong, and it really hurts. I honestly don't have the heart to make another person believe my viewpoints.
UserPostedImage

Offline Raphaela  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2010 13:07:17(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Atheism is sad if you think about this aspect.
Although it helped on my suicidal thoughts. If you think there's nothing waiting for you after death, there's no point of ending it now, it'll come sooner or later.
If you believe in afterlife, think of life like a trip to Europe, why returning to your home country now if you can still enjoy some time there?
I try not to think about that too much, it can drive you insane.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline asdf  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2010 13:30:41(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
I too, am terrified of death. However, am I supposed to believe that Earth is just far enough from the Sun that we dont burn, and just close enough to not freeze by a fluke chance of good luck? Bull, God is the only answer, is some form or shape there is a high creator weather you believe in the Christian God, the Hindu God, or the ASDFistic God, there is a higher being behind the luck and fortune that Earth has, we have just enough water, gas, oxygen and so on to have a sustainable ecosystem and life on Earth, but not too much that it becomes poisonous and kills us all...yet science wants us to believe it was all just a chance happening that made it this way? Think about it.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Mt. Epic  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2010 13:37:10(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Yes, this is my supporting statement for an afterlife, but just cuz that happens doesn't mean that there something after this life, just means this life is good and enjoyable.
UserPostedImage

Offline asdf  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2010 13:40:55(UTC)
asdf

Man

True, but if this is proof a God exists, why would he put us here if not to judge us for our afterlife? It would be pointless to design everything so that it works perfectly for us to live here, and then just let us go about our business here with no further purpose.

Offline Raphaela  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2010 13:56:33(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
asdf wrote:
True, but if this is proof a God exists, why would he put us here if not to judge us for our afterlife? It would be pointless to design everything so that it works perfectly for us to live here, and then just let us go about our business here with no further purpose.

To me, that is even more depressing, think that we are here just to be judged for our actions to see if we go to a good or a bad place.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline asdf  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2010 14:01:31(UTC)
asdf

Man

Well, its a game of choice God gave us, you can smoke pot, have sex, drink, murder, do drugs, lie, cheat, steal, curse and party for 80 years on Earth, or you can be good and make the right decisions and live in eternal bliss forever. Its up to you.

Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2010 19:12:30(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
asdf wrote:

You think the world works perfectly? Oh jeez.
Offline Rincewind  
#12 Posted : 22 January 2010 20:07:56(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
asdf wrote:
I too, am terrified of death. However, am I supposed to believe that Earth is just far enough from the Sun that we dont burn, and just close enough to not freeze by a fluke chance of good luck? Bull, God is the only answer, is some form or shape there is a high creator weather you believe in the Christian God, the Hindu God, or the ASDFistic God, there is a higher being behind the luck and fortune that Earth has, we have just enough water, gas, oxygen and so on to have a sustainable ecosystem and life on Earth, but not too much that it becomes poisonous and kills us all...yet science wants us to believe it was all just a chance happening that made it this way? Think about it.

how many millions of stars are they? and how many billions of planets?

we are a fluke chance that it all nothing more nothing less.....
i am an Athiest... Not an Agnostic.. i honestly have no idea what happens after we die but i am damned sure theres not a magical place in the clouds we all go to and spend eternity happily there.
in a way i am looking forward to finding out what happens next.. its one of lifes last great mysteries!
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Gildermershina  
#13 Posted : 22 January 2010 22:25:13(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
What's even weird is to imagine that you've only been alive for a limited amount of time, so for you, it's as if the world has only existed since your birth, or rather, when you first became self-aware as a child. What was there before you were born? No perception of time and space, no nothing? Or is the answer more complex. There is some aspect of quantum theory that states that any time you might almost die, you will always remain alive, but some other versions of you in alternate universes will die, and therefore the world will experience your death. Not to mention the notion that supposedly time itself cannot exist without conscious perception of it. Kind of freaky.

Yes it is scary, and yes it haunts everyone, but at the same time, I firmly believe that this universe, this consciousness is not all that we are. We are made of the same stuff as stars, planets, comets, and yet we take the view that we are transient because it is our minds that allow us to experience this universe. The truth is that there are things beyond our perceptions, beyond our realm of reality, that cannot be understood. What is it to be alive? What is it to be dead? To return to the universe itself. The spark of life that is you is a part of the universe, and everything in the universe is continuously recycled. The human mind cannot comprehend not being, being nothing - because there is no nothing in the universe. There is always something.

I remember my first great existential crisis, back in 1997 or so. You get over it, but it never quite goes away. We're all in the same boat.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Captain Insano  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2010 22:42:59(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Gandalf knows what happens after death..
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#15 Posted : 23 January 2010 02:34:08(UTC)
forkboy

Existential crises are fascinating experiences.

Since I didn't say anything on the actual subject at hand I shall just confirm what you could probably guess from anything else I've posted on the topic of religion on this forum: I believe that when we die, that's game over. The end. Fin.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#16 Posted : 23 January 2010 02:41:31(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
asdf wrote:
Well, its a game of choice God gave us, you can smoke pot, have sex, drink, murder, do drugs, lie, cheat, steal, curse and party for 80 years on Earth, or you can be good and make the right decisions and live in eternal bliss forever. Its up to you.

True.
Offline forkboy  
#17 Posted : 23 January 2010 02:52:01(UTC)
forkboy

Well if you don't drink, you are ignoring Jesus, coz he said drink the wine bitch and take part in some symbolic cannibalism.
Offline Thorgrim  
#18 Posted : 23 January 2010 05:23:52(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
asdf wrote:

True.

Oh please, spare me the evangelical fundamentalist bullcrap. There's absolutely nothing wrong with sex, a beer every now and then, and a good party. Everybody curses every now and then, so are we all "hellbound" now? Killing, cheating, stealing, and lying are all things you shouldn't do anyway, after all, even godawful ignorant atheists and agnostics (that was sarcasm) abstain from those things.

Besides, the idea of hell as a pit of everlasting fire is stupid anyway, and a misinterpretation of the Jewish concepts of Sheol and Gehenna. But then again, retarded legalists are too damn stupid to research those things and read Scripture in context.
Offline forkboy  
#19 Posted : 23 January 2010 05:25:22(UTC)
forkboy

Hey, who needs to read the bible when OTHER PEOPLE! can tell you what it says.
Offline Thorgrim  
#20 Posted : 23 January 2010 05:33:39(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
Hey, who needs to read the bible when OTHER PEOPLE! can tell you what it says.

I don't think that's the problem. The problem is the idea that the bible is the "infallible Word of God," that needs to be taken literally and is right about everything. The result? Ignorance, and a lot of it. Actually, I recommend reading the bible and books on interpreting the bible simultaneously. The way you won't end up being a braindead legalist, and learn the views of people far more educated in theology than yourself. And of course everything should be read IN CONTEXT. Reading verses on their own resulted in the ridiculous idea of the rapture, to give a small example.