logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sharinganerror  
#81 Posted : 21 October 2009 21:40:26(UTC)
sharinganerror

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thorgrim wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
asdf wrote:
They are, but I am saying that if you did 10 good things and 5 sins, then you would still get into Heaven. The sins may be equal but its like a balance board, and if the sins out weigh the good then it tips and you fall to Hell.

WRONG. Even the bible states that good works will never get you into heaven and it's by God's grace alone that you are saved. Please tell me what belief system you're following, because it seems like a sub-denomination of antinomianistic "Christians".

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/FAWORKS.htm

1. I agree that good works do count for something and do effect your life on earth, BUT they still won't save your soul, nor can you honestly trust them to save you from your sins.
2.Roman Catholicism=bad, just plain bad. history itself teaches that.
3.What you're trying to push is the Old Testament law that explained that you were to be saved by righteousness and faith in God.
Remember that Noah was the only person on earth at that time who truly was right with God, so the ability to be saved was non-existent if you weren't predestined. Face it, even if you could be saved by works, it doesn't mean anybody ever would. The sheer amount of works you would have to do would be inhuman and unbearable. That's why Jesus allowed salvation by faith alone.
Offline forkboy  
#82 Posted : 22 October 2009 00:46:28(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Roman Catholicism is bad. But not for the reasons you think.

I live in a city full of people who genuinely, with all their heart, believe that the encumbent Pope is the actual Anti-Christ personified. Which is beyond silly. But then I guess it's no more silly than the rest of their dogma.
Offline Aj  
#83 Posted : 22 October 2009 04:29:27(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
The majority of Western Laws and morals are basically built by the Roman Catholics are they not? I mean ten commandments and all that stuff. Now, obviously people should realise that being a good person is good because your being good rather than for fear of going to hell, but still, point remains that history does teach us that the Roman Catholic Church is very important, so how on earth is it bad? Well not now, but it did have it's uses in history. Apologies if that isn't what you mean though :P

I'm probably wrong though.

Offline forkboy  
#84 Posted : 22 October 2009 05:40:03(UTC)
forkboy

Aj wrote:
The majority of Western Laws and morals are basically built by the Roman Catholics are they not? I mean ten commandments and all that stuff. Now, obviously people should realise that being a good person is good because your being good rather than for fear of going to hell, but still, point remains that history does teach us that the Roman Catholic Church is very important, so how on earth is it bad? Well not now, but it did have it's uses in history. Apologies if that isn't what you mean though :P

Ten Commandments are hardly exclusively Catholic, I mean that's a Jewish thing originally.

The arguement for Catholicism being bad is a quick glance at history, the fact it was used as an excuse for lots of murdering, up to the present day and their stance on issues like abortion & contraceptives which are truely medieval.

I'd also argue that the Ten Commandments are a bit shit frankly. Yeah, no murder, no thieving, that's all very nice but those concepts also exist in cultures that don't have a deep relationship with the Abrahamic religions.
Offline Aj  
#85 Posted : 22 October 2009 07:16:59(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
Aj wrote:

Ten Commandments are hardly exclusively Catholic, I mean that's a Jewish thing originally.

The arguement for Catholicism being bad is a quick glance at history, the fact it was used as an excuse for lots of murdering, up to the present day and their stance on issues like abortion & contraceptives which are truely medieval.

I'd also argue that the Ten Commandments are a bit shit frankly. Yeah, no murder, no thieving, that's all very nice but those concepts also exist in cultures that don't have a deep relationship with the Abrahamic religions.

Yeah but it was also used for lots of good things like church's being shelters for people and it would also help a lot in the local villages and towns, and would be great for some of the poorer people who would of had nothing but there god in them days. It's just that now we look back on it we notice all the bad things, because if a historian looks at something and finds that priests in a church did exactly what they were meant to do, then obviously there not going to write about it. In my opinion a lot of bad things are over-dramatised when thinking about the Catholic Church because it's almost like people want to dislike it because it's cool to be aethiest.

Obviously there was corruption and murder BUT you have to look at it in the bigger picture and realise that it wasn't every single priest in the country that was ripping everyone off. I just think that a lot of good people are being made out to be evil when it was just a few who abused their rights.
Offline forkboy  
#86 Posted : 22 October 2009 08:16:38(UTC)
forkboy

There are good people in every bad organisation. If the organisation is inherently corrupt it's still bad.
Offline Gildermershina  
#87 Posted : 22 October 2009 11:00:49(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Aj wrote:

All of the Ten Commandments, being written by men, obviously already existed. Look to the great city of Babylon and you'll find an advanced civilised culture that existed before any publication of these ten commandments.

One thing that I find interesting is how revered the Commandments are, and yet how few people can actually recite them. The American public almost unanimously want the ten commandments displayed in courthouses, and yet can't name more than two or three.

While I'm all for the ones about murder, theft and adultery, the four or five (depending on your version) all about bowing down to God are just ridiculous, and then there's a pair at the end about jealousy... How is jealousy a) a crime, b) punishable. Jealousy is a natural reaction, and while I'm all for discouraging people from acting on such an emotion, calling thought a crime is just utter nonsense. Might as well just have a commandment that says "and in addition to all the previous crimes, you should also never even think about any of these acts, because that too is a crime." As for honouring mother and father, well hey sure, especially if they beat you and rape you.

The good commandments are self-evident in any society, and come through philosophy. As Aristotle once apparently said "I have gained this by philosophy - that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law."

Whether that law be the law of the kingdom, or the law of god, far better for a person to do something because they believe it to be right, than to be told that it is right by way of the threat of punishment.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Thorgrim  
#88 Posted : 23 October 2009 01:35:54(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

The RCC is the one true Christian church. After all, you gotta be pretty sure of yourself when you make such big ass churches eh? Besides, evangelicals are a lot funnier than Catholics, just look at these brilliant sites:

http://jesus-is-savior.com/
http://www.raptureready.com/
Offline forkboy  
#89 Posted : 23 October 2009 04:53:53(UTC)
forkboy

The fundies claimed the rapture was due yesterday.

Clearly they were wrong.
Offline Thorgrim  
#90 Posted : 23 October 2009 06:05:41(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Are you sure? Maybe only the reverend Fred Phelps was raptured... Dancing
Offline TheCDs  
#91 Posted : 02 November 2009 16:04:43(UTC)
TheCDs

sharinganerror wrote:
Now this is really stupid, there is no way of proving that God doesn't exist, there's no way of proving that there isn't an afterlife.

I really don't understand how anyone can use the argument of "there is no way of proving god doesn't exist etc." The burden of proof does not fall onto the skeptic. If you want me to believe something it isn't my job to prove it doesn't exist it is your job to prove it does exist, and with God you really can't do that (at least not in a way that would satisfy my level of scrutiny).

But more on topic to the original post, if this Christian God does exist the dude is a bigger dick than Snidely Whiplash. I mean what "loving" God says
God wrote:
ok so here is the deal I am going to give you free will, and life, and emotion, and all this other stuff, and then release you into a world where you will experience pain. Maybe you are born HIV+ or maybe you get to be the rich kid, maybe you get to be a slave, I dunno whatever. Oh and get this even though your going to go through a bunch of shit and chances are like 20-50% of your life will be made up of shit you don't want to do or you suffering don't have too much fun, because this is all a test to see if you can come join me in Heaven. I totally promise Heaven exists and it rocks, and if you don't obey my rules your gonna go to Hell which is even worse than Earth.

No, on second thought that guy sounds totally cool and nice.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#92 Posted : 02 November 2009 20:55:54(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
But more on topic to the original post, if this Christian God does exist the dude is a bigger dick than Snidely Whiplash. I mean what "loving" God says
God wrote:
ok so here is the deal I am going to give you free will, and life, and emotion, and all this other stuff, and then release you into a world where you will experience pain. Maybe you are born HIV+ or maybe you get to be the rich kid, maybe you get to be a slave, I dunno whatever. Oh and get this even though your going to go through a bunch of shit and chances are like 20-50% of your life will be made up of shit you don't want to do or you suffering don't have too much fun, because this is all a test to see if you can come join me in Heaven. I totally promise Heaven exists and it rocks, and if you don't obey my rules your gonna go to Hell which is even worse than Earth.

My thoughts exactly. And don't forget all those rules. Like, here's all the animals on Earth, which you now have dominion over. Oh, and here's a list of the ones you're not allowed to eat. And here's a ritual praising me that you must perform every time you kill one. Oh, and here's some you should just kill for no good reason on certain days.
Offline sharinganerror  
#93 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:25:03(UTC)
sharinganerror

Aj wrote:

Dude, how far west are you thinking? Christianity(Protestant that is) teaches being good for the sake of being good and not being evil. We go to hell for reasons unrelated to good deeds. Roman Catholics enforced its brutal regime for hundreds of years in europe and (some parts of)the Middle East. They killed for the sake of preserving their own power and ideals, no matter how wrong they were, the catholic church openly blasphemes the Bible entirely if you read the original manuscript and compare it to their Vulgate.
Offline sharinganerror  
#94 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:26:43(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
God wrote:

My thoughts exactly. And don't forget all those rules. Like, here's all the animals on Earth, which you now have dominion over. Oh, and here's a list of the ones you're not allowed to eat. And here's a ritual praising me that you must perform every time you kill one. Oh, and here's some you should just kill for no good reason on certain days.

Gilder@ stop reading from the Old Testament, really.. that holds no ground anymore.
Offline sharinganerror  
#95 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:29:47(UTC)
sharinganerror

God wrote:

Well you just summed up God, which I don't honestly have a problem because it's true. But get this, he's GOD. He doesn't have to give a shit about what you say, back in the Old Testament he killed thousands of people at a time just for doing what you just did right now. It doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, your argument is pointless because of the lack of overused references that every single atheists uses.
Offline forkboy  
#96 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:30:06(UTC)
forkboy

sharinganerror wrote:
Dude, how far west are you thinking? Christianity(Protestant that is) teaches being good for the sake of being good and not being evil.

Not neccessarily true. For example, Calvinists believe in pre-determination, in that God has decided who goes to heaven & hell when we're born, essentially we have no say in it, regardless of our actions. It's an interesting philosophical concept at least.

And no, we won't stop quoting the Old Testament until Christians stop using it to support barbaric practices such as homophobia & supporting capital punishment while having the audacity to claim that they are "pro-life".
Offline sharinganerror  
#97 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:33:42(UTC)
sharinganerror

forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
Dude, how far west are you thinking? Christianity(Protestant that is) teaches being good for the sake of being good and not being evil.

Not neccessarily true. For example, Calvinists believe in pre-determination, in that God has decided who goes to heaven & hell when we're born, essentially we have no say in it, regardless of our actions. It's an interesting philosophical concept at least.

And no, we won't stop quoting the Old Testament until Christians stop using it to support barbaric practices such as homophobia & supporting capital punishment while having the audacity to claim that they are "pro-life".

Yeah that's calvinism, a denomination of protestantinism, people chose to make up their own little sects just because they didn't want to submit to God's rules and continue their sinning. I'm not one of those idiot wannabe christians who use the Old Testament for "pro-life" purposes. I just plain don't like abortions, gays, and I'm fine with capital punishment, but back to topic.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#98 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:36:32(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
I love god he is so great to me!
Offline old.gregg  
#99 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:46:47(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
back in the Old Testament he killed thousands of people at a time just for doing what you just did right now.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen theCDs in a few days...
-
Offline Gildermershina  
#100 Posted : 06 November 2009 02:47:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

sharinganerror wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
God wrote:

Gilder@ stop reading from the Old Testament, really.. that holds no ground anymore.

Is that so? So Genesis is wrong? God didn't create the Earth in 6 days, didn't curse Cain by making him black and sending him into exile where he married a woman whose origin is never explained, and didn't flood the Earth to kill all the sinners and preserve only the righteous?

Or are those bits still true, just not the bits where he tells you to do stuff you can't be bothered doing?

sharinganerror wrote:
forkboy wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:

Yeah that's calvinism, a denomination of protestantinism, people chose to make up their own little sects just because they didn't want to submit to God's rules and continue their sinning. I'm not one of those idiot wannabe christians who use the Old Testament for "pro-life" purposes. I just plain don't like abortions, gays, and I'm fine with capital punishment, but back to topic.

But God tells you to love everyone. You're disobeying his will.